New Tractor Advice for a newbie please

PaulL

Equipment
B2601
Jul 17, 2017
NZ
The OP isn't comparing backhoe to no backhoe.

The suggestion is that he comparing a BX23S with backhoe to an L2502 without a backhoe. None of his listed tasks require a backhoe, a number of them would greatly benefit from an L sized machine.

He says he already outsources serious excavator work.

Given the constraints he provides, I'd say an L class machine is a better choice. If the OP can stretch to an L with a backhoe, great. But that's a lot more than a BX23S with a backhoe.

Reactions: 1 users

Harley 2e

Equipment
Zd21. Zd331, mowers, Kubota 1100Rtv., Kubota 121 excavator
Jun 10, 2024
I'd agree that the backhoe is what's really pushing up your cost. If you're trying to fit a budget, you get a lot more tractor for your money without a backhoe. You can add a backhoe later if you need one, but nothing in your list of jobs requires a backhoe.

I'd look bigger than a BX for what you describe. A B is the minimum, an L would be nice. Depends if you want a MMM.
Food for thought
60 hp skid loader with
Around 2500 3500 hrs on it I prefer CASE
Front flailal mower
Back hoe attachment
There are more att.for skid steer loaders than you could ask for
Just a suggestion
Good luck

PaulL

Equipment
B2601
Jul 17, 2017
NZ
Food for thought
60 hp skid loader with
Around 2500 3500 hrs on it I prefer CASE
Front flailal mower
Back hoe attachment
There are more att.for skid steer loaders than you could ask for
Just a suggestion
Good luck
I can't imagine trying to brush hog 10 acres with a skid steer. And I struggle with them having a useful backhoe attachment. If the OP was looking for a used machine there would be many tractor options that were more suitable.

BAP

Lifetime Member

Equipment
2012 Kubota 2920, 60MMM, FEL, BH65 48" Bush Hog, 60"Backblade, B2782B Snowblower
Dec 31, 2012
New Hampshire
Meanwhile, as everyone with unlimited budgets and no real concepts of a budget or how to make and stick to a budget keep posting on and arguing on here, the OP has not been back on the site since making his 1 and only post.

Hkb82

Equipment
M7060, Ford 5600, can-am defender
Nov 17, 2021
Ontario Canada
Typical backhoe
It s easy for the BH naysayers to be BH naysayers, because they simply have never had the instant access to a BH for those little jobs, that a BH can do best.
I don’t think anyone was being a backhoe nasayer as you called us. Realistically he said zero tasks requiring a backhoe and is predominately using it for grass and property maintenance. If money wasn’t an issue or he had no limit he probably wouldn’t have posted in the first place. Backhoes are great but not every tractor owner needs one.
when I was last shopping for tractors and specked out ones with backhoes versus ones without, I didn’t save anything by buying the backhoe at the time of purchasing the tractor vs after purchasing it. Like I said before financing it together makes sense but you gotta stay in your budget. 10-15k for some is a lot of cash. I definitely know at least two people that if it were me I’d regret buying the backhoe as one literally sits on pallets in their shop used for a few stumps I. The past 8 years. The other one hasn’t been used once I don’t think since the guy bought the tractor. To each their own personally I’d rather invest the 15,000 if I don’t have a use for the backhoe attachment.

fried1765

Equipment
Kubota L48 TLB, Ford 1920 FEL, Ford 8N, SCAG Liberty Z, Gravely Pro.
Nov 14, 2019
Eastham, Ma
Typical backhoe

I don’t think anyone was being a backhoe nasayer as you called us. Realistically he said zero tasks requiring a backhoe and is predominately using it for grass and property maintenance. If money wasn’t an issue or he had no limit he probably wouldn’t have posted in the first place. Backhoes are great but not every tractor owner needs one.
when I was last shopping for tractors and specked out ones with backhoes versus ones without, I didn’t save anything by buying the backhoe at the time of purchasing the tractor vs after purchasing it. Like I said before financing it together makes sense but you gotta stay in your budget. 10-15k for some is a lot of cash. I definitely know at least two people that if it were me I’d regret buying the backhoe as one literally sits on pallets in their shop used for a few stumps I. The past 8 years. The other one hasn’t been used once I don’t think since the guy bought the tractor. To each their own personally I’d rather invest the 15,000 if I don’t have a use for the backhoe attachment.
I do absolutely agree with your hypothesis/conclusion!
If I could not afford, or did not enjoy eating fillet mignon...... I would never buy that either!

Last edited: