L275 clutch adjustment question - dual disk

timsch

Equipment
'49 8N, L275DT
Jun 11, 2018
Houston, TX
I've got a problem engaging the PTO. It's always been notchy, but this year after not using the PTO for at least 1/2 a year, it would not engage the PTO. I tried to shift and it would just grind. I was at idle RPM. Last week when I wanted to connect the shredder, I had to engage the PTO with the engine off and then start it up. After shredding, I tried to engage the PTO while it was running and it went in as it used to. I thought that running it had freed up whatever was sticking and all was good.

Not so. Today I had the auger hooked up and while it did engage the 1st time, the 2nd time I tried it would just grind again. So I parked it and looked to adjust the clutch. Mine has the dual disk/stage clutch, so there is the pedal free-play adjustment and then another adjustment described in the manual,

clutch.png

I took off the cover on the right side near the fuel filter. I assumed this was it - I didn't see anything else that looked likely.

IMG_20230701_155740248.jpg

I didn't see anything that looked like what was shown in the manual directions. I did see what looked like an adjustable bolt, but the locking nut was on the same side as the head, which doesn't look to be the case in the instructions above. Here's what I see:

IMG_20230701_155415951.jpg

Now that I post the picture, I see another similar bolt on a similar arm below it, so now I'm sure that's not what the instructions above refer to.

It looks like I'm way off base here. I hope someone can clue me in.

Thanks.

Edit: As it is now, when I start the engine with the PTO engaged and clutch all the way in, the PTO turns.

Last edited:

North Idaho Wolfman

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3450DT-GST, Woods FEL, B7100 HSD, FEL, 60" SB, 743 Bobcat with V2203, and more
Jun 9, 2013
Sandpoint, ID
Look at the WSM for how to adjust that clutch pack.

timsch

Equipment
'49 8N, L275DT
Jun 11, 2018
Houston, TX
The WSM shows how to inspect and adjust once the clutch is out. It does not address the adjustment I showed from the OP MAN in the 1st post. I thought I might be onto something with this clearance check since it shows the bolts in the arms that are seen in the picture I posted, but the clearance appears to be a tool that's not the same as the part in the picture that looks to be what those bolts contact.

clutch2.png

timsch

Equipment
'49 8N, L275DT
Jun 11, 2018
Houston, TX
The dual clutch has a secondary adjustment.
I have that same WSM, dual language with French. The page you attached is the page just before the page that had the graphic I pasted in post #3. When I had the side cover off, I had access to the bolts on the release levers, but don't see that I have access to the bolt shown in your scan.

Here's another shot from further back showing the location of the cover I removed.

IMG_20230702_063239434.jpg

Here's the access I have through that port.

IMG_20230702_063227174.jpg

Looks like that secondary adjustment is done with the clutch out.

The 11.3 instructions posted in #1, were from the Operating manual, so it'd have to be somewhat easy access I'd think.

Russell King

Equipment
L185F, Modern Ag Competitor 4’ shredder, Rhino tiller, rear dirt scoop
Jun 17, 2012
Austin, Texas
The adjustment is performed through the window, I have done it several times.
Would you be able to describe how you did the adjustment? Do you have to rotate something to see the adjustment bolt, is that the correct window, to use, does the clutch have to have been installed in the correct position to make the adjustment? The OP has no idea how to proceed with the project.

rbargeron

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L5450, L48, L3250, L345 never enough attachments
Jul 6, 2015
western ma
So far this thread has discussed two different series of tractor models that have different adjustment methods for their secondary (pto) clutch .

EDIT: SOME of the EARLIER models (L235 and L275) were available with dual clutches that have an access plate for adjusting the pto clutch. The L295 and L305 had only single-stage clutches. The L345 has has a dual clutch but doesn't have the access plate- its pto clutch is only adjustable with the clutch fully exposed.

The LATER series models (L2250, L2550, L2850, L3250......L3650) provide the external adjustment shown in the OP' first graphic. Access is through the side cover, located behind the loader frame if any. I have both L345 and L3250 models - my experience is that the L345's pto clutch is NOT separately adjustable from the outside but the L3250 and others in this series do have access.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user

North Idaho Wolfman

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
Jun 9, 2013
Sandpoint, ID
Adjust the travel section to spec and see what that does for you.
If that is out as far as it looks in the picture, it will certainly effect the PTO section of the clutch.
And yes with that model the PTO clutch adjustment it's only access / adjustable when the tractor is split.

timsch

Equipment
'49 8N, L275DT
Jun 11, 2018
Houston, TX
If that is out as far as it looks in the picture, it will certainly effect the PTO section of the clutch.
And yes with that model the PTO clutch adjustment it's only access / adjustable when the tractor is split.
By "travel section", do you mean what's shown in post #3? If so, gauge block is not the part that's on the tractor if I'm reading the WSM right. I don't see a spec for the gap between the bolts and the ring they press against (would that be the throwout bearing?). Would it be as tight a gap as with the gauge block?

whitetiger

Staff member

Equipment
Kubota tech..BX2370, RCK60, B7100HST, RTV900 w plow, Ford 1100 FWA
Nov 20, 2011
Kansas City, KS
I guess I have never come across an L275 with a 2-bolt cover. All that I have seen had a 4-bolt cover like in the attached file.

Attachments

timsch

Equipment
'49 8N, L275DT
Jun 11, 2018
Houston, TX
I guess I have never come across an L275 with a 2-bolt cover. All that I have seen had a 4-bolt cover like in the attached file.
That 4-bolt cover in your attachment looks alot like the location where my FEL connects, which is right in front of the 2-bolt cover.

North Idaho Wolfman

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
Jun 9, 2013
Sandpoint, ID
That 4-bolt cover in your attachment looks alot like the location where my FEL connects, which is right in front of the 2-bolt cover.
Yep some of FEL mounts do hide the covers!
So it might be in your best interest to at least loosen the mount and take a peek.

North Idaho Wolfman

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
Jun 9, 2013
Sandpoint, ID
These points are where you do the travel section adjustment:
I think there are three.

1688327898237.png

timsch

Equipment
'49 8N, L275DT
Jun 11, 2018
Houston, TX
I never had an issue with PTO engagement/disengagement in the 6 years or so I've had this tractor. It'd usually been stored in a barn, but recently is was stored outside of my garage for several months in the elements while I did a number of repairs.

Reading other forum posts on this there was mention that having a FEL on these made them prone to getting water in the bell-housing. I'm wondering if the plates aren't just rusted together. Maybe i was wrong earlier about thinking it had broken free after shredding last week. Dunno....

rbargeron

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L5450, L48, L3250, L345 never enough attachments
Jul 6, 2015
western ma
Looking again at the parts pages for the earlier models, the L235 and L275 had either the single or dual clutch. The dual clutch model has a deeper clutch housing - and does have 4-bolt side access plate for adjusting the pto clutch. The later L345 has the dual clutch but not the 4-bolt access plate.

So adjustment access is likely there on timsch's L275 machine. As wolfman suggests, it may be hiding behind the loader frame.

Adjusting the dual clutch on machines with a loader blocking access, the right-side upright can be unbolted and unpinned - but the rest of the loader can stay in place. If one rear bolt is loosened but left in, its easier to line things back up afterward. Another tip - put trans in 4th, jack up rear tire and rotate engine by hand to bring each bolt into the window.

Last edited:

timsch

Equipment
'49 8N, L275DT
Jun 11, 2018
Houston, TX
Looking again at the parts pages for the earlier models, the L235 and L275 had either the single or dual clutch. The dual clutch model has a deeper clutch housing - and does have 4-bolt side access plate for adjusting the pto clutch. The later L345 has the dual clutch but not the 4-bolt access plate.

So adjustment access is likely there on timsch's L275 machine. As wolfman suggests, it may be hiding behind the loader frame.

Adjusting the dual clutch on machines with a loader blocking access, the right-side upright can be unbolted and unpinned - but the rest of the loader can stay in place. If one rear bolt is loosened but left in, its easier to line things back up afterward. Another tip - put trans in 4th, jack up rear tire and rotate engine by hand to bring each bolt into the window.
Thanks. I was looking at the loader frame the other day and it did look like there was an individual piece that went side-side underneath that could be detached without having to remove the whole FEL. How easy it'd be to get it back on is another story. I know it was a bear to get the FEL reattached when it needed some weld repair before. A buddy had to bring his tractor over to press on components with his bucket to get the holes aligned.

I'll be doing some more hole augering today and will try to work the clutch while boring hoping to free some rust bound parts to at least get it back to where it was before. Fine adjustments can follow if I'm so lucky.

timsch

Equipment
'49 8N, L275DT
Jun 11, 2018
Houston, TX
This got back-burnered, but now I'm back on it. I am having issues getting access to the lock nut (circled in post #14, and shown here) that holds the bolt in place. No problem getting a wrench on the head of the bolt, but the bend in the arm is preventing me from getting the wrench on the nut. There's also not enough clearance between the nut and the component just above & to the left of the nut as seen below.

Any suggestions as to how to loosen and retighten the nut? I hope someone's got a good one, because i'm looking at my 1st split if not.
IMG_20240427_140042925.jpg

North Idaho Wolfman

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
Jun 9, 2013
Sandpoint, ID
Get a cheap wrench and bend the end to match the bend in the arm.

Reactions: 1 users