Kubota T1600H

jdefonseka

Aug 28, 2014
Moorestown, New Jersey, USA
Hello,

I'm new to this forum. I recently purchased a Kubota T1600H Diesel (Serial#13886) with just above 500Hrs on the hour meter. Unit is in great shape except for a few issues that I am trying to fix and I'm in need of some advise.

1) Intermittently, turning off the ignition does not turn off the engine. I figured it is a faulty diesel shut off solenoid and replaced it with a Kubota OEM solenoid bought at the dealer. Problem still exists. What else should I look for?

2) Mower deck is in a bit of rough shape. There is a 2" by 2" rust hole under the mower shaft. Also 3 sides are cracked around the mower gear box (Pictures attached) Can this be repaired? The middle blade also sits lower than the rest because of this.

3) Drive shaft going into the hydrostatic transmission has a little bit of play in it. Very minimal. I hear no noise when using the mower and it functions as it should. Seller suggested replacing the Sub assembly cover (Part#70090-33030) Supposed to be a known problem with the hydrostat on this model. I looked for this part# on the Kubota website and did not reference to anything on the mower however I was told it is an updated part due to the fact that Kubota had issues with the prior model of sub assembly. What are your thoughts?

4) Parking brake does not work. Meaning if I press the parking brake nothing happens. How do I check to see what is wrong?

Any help is greatly appreciated.
Thank you!

Attachments

North Idaho Wolfman

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3450DT-GST, Woods FEL, B7100 HSD, FEL, 60" SB, 743 Bobcat with V2203, and more
Jun 9, 2013
Sandpoint, ID
1) Intermittently, turning off the ignition does not turn off the engine. I figured it is a faulty diesel shut off solenoid and replaced it with a Kubota OEM solenoid bought at the dealer. Problem still exists. What else should I look for?

2) Mower deck is in a bit of rough shape. There is a 2" by 2" rust hole under the mower shaft. Also 3 sides are cracked around the mower gear box (Pictures attached) Can this be repaired? The middle blade also sits lower than the rest because of this.

3) Drive shaft going into the hydrostatic transmission has a little bit of play in it. Very minimal. I hear no noise when using the mower and it functions as it should. Seller suggested replacing the Sub assembly cover (Part#70090-33030) Supposed to be a known problem with the hydrostat on this model. I looked for this part# on the Kubota website and did not reference to anything on the mower however I was told it is an updated part due to the fact that Kubota had issues with the prior model of sub assembly. What are your thoughts?

4) Parking brake does not work. Meaning if I press the parking brake nothing happens. How do I check to see what is wrong?
#1. Look at the shut down relay timer.

#2. Anything can be repaired with enough work, are your metal welding and cutting skills good?

#3. If it's the right part and it needs it, change it.

#4. Get the WSM for the Mower and it will show how to adjust or repair the linkage.

jdefonseka

Aug 28, 2014
Removed the hydrostat from the mower and replaced the new updated cover. I have pictures attached of the new cover front and back. Also in the process found why the parking brake was not working. It was simply locked up.
I used Kubota UDT trans fluid. Seems to have good pressure in the trans. Did not have any trouble going uphill after the repair and no more play in the driveshaft.

Where would the relay live for the diesel shut off? I think you are right about the timer because sometimes I will turn off the key and it will shut off after about a minute.

Attachments

North Idaho Wolfman

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3450DT-GST, Woods FEL, B7100 HSD, FEL, 60" SB, 743 Bobcat with V2203, and more
Jun 9, 2013
Sandpoint, ID
The relay should be behind or under the dash panel. ;)

jdefonseka

Aug 28, 2014
There is a black box under the dash panel with 2 rather small relay switches in it. Does not look like they are replaceable. According to the circuit diagram, that directly feeds the engine stop solenoid.

Unfortunately I don't believe this part is available thru Kubota.

jdefonseka

Aug 28, 2014
That is cool. Thank you. Already ordered. I could not find it.
All the switches (Seat switch, PTO switch, brake switch are providing the correct signals to the combination box. I checked with the WSM. So it should be the culprit.

My mower deck is in bad shape. Too much rust and also looks like it's twisted. I was able to order a new complete deck from the Dealer. Since the mower has low hours, hopefully will last me a while.

Thank you for all your help. Will post pictures when she's fully complete.

Attachments

ShaunRH

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3200
May 14, 2014
Atascadero, CA
Don't totally give up on that deck. You might be able to get a few bucks for it from someone with some good welding skills. The cracks and sheet metal damage are relatively easy to fix if you have the skills and the equipment to do it.

If you have a friend with the skills, a case of brewski's or a couple of ball game tickets usually gets stuff like that fixed...

jdefonseka

Aug 28, 2014
The combination box arrived today and installed it. It works great.
Interesting that the Kubota sticker on the front of the com box states "Made in Japan" One relay states "Made in China" and the other " Made in Philippines" I hope it holds to the vibrations and heat of the diesel Z482.

Since I know I had a faulty combination box, I am going to dissect the old one in hopes of finding a bad relay or a faulty solder joint.

As far as the deck, its rusted pretty bad. Looks like the previous owner left the deck outside in the rain. Its rusted from the top and the bottom pretty bad. There were chunks of rusted metal falling off it. It doesn't look that bad when you look at it but the cut is not even ether so it will take a lot of work and time to get it working again.

Thank you for all your help

Attachments

chipflyer

Equipment
T1600
Nov 16, 2015
Topeka Kansas
I know its an old thread but I have the same machine with a similar hydrostat problem, where did you get your new cover and what roughly did it cost to replace it?

Thank you

Jeff

lugbolt

Equipment
ZG127S-54
Oct 15, 2015
Mid, South, USA
Real easy to put more money into these old mowers than they're worth. And to add insult to injury, many parts are being obsoleted. T1600's used their own transmission. To my knowledge, no other Kubota used that trans. If that's the case, look for the parts to become NLA sooner than later :(

They were pretty good mowers, if you could get past the vibration of the little twin cylinder diesel.

Deck cracks can be welded, but if it's rusted any, the welding process just prolongs the inevitable. I have a G1900, love it, but the deck is rusting. The more I fix cracks, the more that goes wrong with it. Fix one thing, couple weeks later, 3 more problems. Would love to find another GOOD 54" deck for it, and I might consider keeping it. Also have an older JD LX188 that looks, runs, and drives like a brand new LX188 did, so I have a backup...as long as JD offers parts for it anyway. Luckily I haven't needed much.