Kubota mowing deck ??

Jfb

Equipment
None
Jul 29, 2024
Jfb@210bd
Considering a compact tractor for mowing. For anyone with a 60 inch deck, how is the finish cut compared to say, a zero turn. Specifically, is the blade speed sufficient to get nice cut, and do the r14 tires tear up the yard? Thanks for all replies

Speed25

Equipment
L2501(sold) - BX25D
Apr 23, 2024
NC
I've started using a BX for mowing in the past few months, using the 60" deck. The cut quality is better than my Husqvarna riding mower it replaced, and less likely to scalp any areas (I have lots of hills, knolls, dips, etc). I can't compare to a ZT as I don't have one, but you can't tell the difference where my yard adjoins the neighbor's yard where he mows with a ZT. I haven't gotten down on the ground to actually examine the cut on each blade of grass, but no complaints on mine. It mows the all-grass areas very nicely, but I have to slow down a bit more for the tougher crabgrass areas. I typically mow at 3k rpm, so blade speed doesn't seem to be an issue. Clean cut, no stragglers.

I'm running turf tires, with NO extra weight on my machine aside from the mowing deck. It's close to tearing grass up on the full-lock, tight turns, but so far, no worse than the old mower. The BX has much better traction due to the weight though, so I'm not spinning an inside tire like I often was on the old mower, so I'm definitely tearing up less grass that way now. With a full set of wheels and R4 tires being only $500 from the dealership, I'll be getting a set to run in the winter and put the turfs in storage.

SDT

Equipment
multiple and various
Apr 15, 2018
SE, IN
The 60" terrain following deck on my B1750 (bought new in 1993) is by far the best mowing deck that I have owned. Blade speed is fine, and grass clearance is very good. For multiple reasons, I'm not a fan of suspended decks currently used on most CUTS/SCUTS.

Cannot use ZTRs in all of my parcels for multiple reasons so no experience with such but expect that cut quality would be better in some conditions due to less grass rolled down by front wheels.

I do not mow when either grass or ground is wet and do not try to mow excessively tall grass with finish mowers so front tire roll down is rarely an issue for me.

All tires will damage turf in some conditions, especially with careless operation, wet grass, and/or engaged FWA and tight turns. Seen lots of turf damage produced by ZTRs equipped with turf tires.

Generally, turf tires are least damaging, and AG tires most damaging. R4s and R14Ts both somewhere in between.

SDT

Equipment
multiple and various
Apr 15, 2018
SE, IN
I've started using a BX for mowing in the past few months, using the 60" deck. The cut quality is better than my Husqvarna riding mower it replaced, and less likely to scalp any areas (I have lots of hills, knolls, dips, etc). I can't compare to a ZT as I don't have one, but you can't tell the difference where my yard adjoins the neighbor's yard where he mows with a ZT. I haven't gotten down on the ground to actually examine the cut on each blade of grass, but no complaints on mine. It mows the all-grass areas very nicely, but I have to slow down a bit more for the tougher crabgrass areas. I typically mow at 3k rpm, so blade speed doesn't seem to be an issue. Clean cut, no stragglers.

I'm running turf tires, with NO extra weight on my machine aside from the mowing deck. It's close to tearing grass up on the full-lock, tight turns, but so far, no worse than the old mower. The BX has much better traction due to the weight though, so I'm not spinning an inside tire like I often was on the old mower, so I'm definitely tearing up less grass that way now. With a full set of wheels and R4 tires being only $500 from the dealership, I'll be getting a set to run in the winter and put the turfs in storage.
FWIW, R4 tires are considerably worse in snow than are turf tires.

Reactions: 1 user

Tire Biter

Equipment
B 2601 434 loader MMM, bunch of tractor stuff . Ford 4600
Jul 10, 2012
S.E. TN
I use a 60” deck on a 2601 which is a suspended deck and the place looks like a golf course. Until the drought shows up. IMG_0935.jpeg IMG_1072.jpeg

I don’t mow wet grass either and I can’t use a zero turn here due to some steep areas. I have r 4s and they don’t tear up at all. It’s a little heavy though so I try not to follow the same tracks all the time.