Is your 20v battery better than the 18V?

bgk

Apr 23, 2017
Accord, ny
This is just my opinion based on a few years of actual experiance, and being in the construction and cabinet game, I've see and used all the players.

For light homeowner hobby use just about any drill/ driver will do.

For those that want good power without the huge price tag, I would say Porter cable will do perfectly (I have a set of those), the batteries last a long time, change quickly, they are powerful and lightweight, yet hold up to a lot of work.

I also have a Ryobi drill that is super tiny and small, works for getting into those small tight spaces.

For those that need to get tough jobs done all day long they are really only three players, Milwaukee, Dewalt, and Makita.

This is why:

It's not only the reliability and power of the tools it's the versatility, I use multiple tools all day long and the same batteries fit them all, drill, driver, impact, sawzall, lights, radios, charging stations, and a host of other tools.

It makes my productivity go way up and my and stress level go way down.

Yes I have and use Milwaukee tools for the Construction and Cabinet game, have for 30+ years

I guess my opinion is there is buy what works for you and your situation!

What do you find inferior with the porter cables? I had them near the top of my list. Milwaukee being the top choice, but had PC ahead of dewalt. Largely because I used my father’s while assisting in redecking a large deck this summer. Seemed more powerful, andway less bulky/lighter than my dewalt, but my experience is limited to that. I primarily use drill, driver, impact and mostly sawzall. I’d like to know before I take the $400-500 plunge for the next few years.

Last edited:

bgk

Apr 23, 2017
Accord, ny
One thing that irritates me about the battery packs is, they poop out too quickly and won't take a charge and replacement packs are expensive. I have an 18 volt DeWalt with the XR batteries. When they poop out, I may get a Harbor Freight drill with their LI battery pack and try that.

I've roasted a couple DeWalt cordless drill's in the past. The brushes give out after a while and then they let the smoke out.

My trio of batteries have lasted 3 years now but are getting to the point of no return. I find, at this point it makes more sense going completely new versus new batteries. My 18v dewalt drill is brushless, and I can’t kill the big, heavy, bulky thing but I’m no carpenter. The dewalt reciprocating saw has been flawless, cutting through more deer legs, necks, spines, sternums and pelvic bones than I care to count... probably 130-150 deer’s worth? My experience with most harbor freight tools is that they are super affordable, but short lived. Have you tried milwaukee, makita or porter cable? Looking for all the feedback I can get.

boz1989

Equipment
B2910 fel 60 mmm, Land Pride rb1572
Jun 10, 2015
Portland, MI
My brother has a porter cable impact driver, good power, but in less than a year had to replace parts in the tip. Last week I pulled the motor out and repaired the wire that broke because the screws fell out that holds the gear reduction to the motor.
So, good power, not sure how long it will hold together.

Sent from my LGMP260 using Tapatalk

CaveCreekRay

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3800 HST, KingKutter box scraper, KingKutter 66" rake, County Pride Subsoiler
Jul 11, 2014
Cave Creek, AZ
For all you guys running good drills but about to chuck 'em cause your batteries are going bad -

I bought Chinese batteries off Amazon for half the price of the 12v & 18v DeWalts that barely lasted 14 months. These are "rated" at a higher capacity and have run for two years. The fit and finish is OEM quality and I'll probably look at buying new ones when these finally crash.

I bought a first-ever set of DeWalt driver/impact on a crazy black Friday deal at HD. Then, at the local Kiwani's thrift store, I picked up two clean 12v drills and charger (no battery) for $5 apiece. So, I ordered Chinese batteries for those and they run great. The DeWalt stuff stays in my toasty garage all summer. The Bosch batteries live in air conditioned splendor unless I need to use them.

Look at the ratings on the Chinese batteries. If they are high, you can take a chance. Most shippers will warranty a battery for a period if you get a bad one.

NIW-

I built some custom wooden stairs out back and needed a hand planer. I bought a Bosch reconditioned unit and a box of carbide blades. It was the base unit with one blade and I didn't think it would do much...

OMG!!!

That thing works AWESOMELY!!!! Planes off wood like hot steel through butter. Glad I bought it. Got the stairs done and I can't imagine having tried to do them without it.

:)

85Hokie

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
BX-25D ,PTB. Under Armor, '90&'92-B7100HST's, '06 BX1850 FEL
Jul 13, 2013
Bedford - VA
For all you guys running good drills but about to chuck 'em cause your batteries are going bad -

I bought Chinese batteries off Amazon for half the price of the 12v & 18v DeWalts that barely lasted 14 months. These are "rated" at a higher capacity and have run for two years. The fit and finish is OEM quality and I'll probably look at buying new ones when these finally crash.

I bought a first-ever set of DeWalt driver/impact on a crazy black Friday deal at HD. Then, at the local Kiwani's thrift store, I picked up two clean 12v drills and charger (no battery) for $5 apiece. So, I ordered Chinese batteries for those and they run great. The DeWalt stuff stays in my toasty garage all summer. The Bosch batteries live in air conditioned splendor unless I need to use them.

Look at the ratings on the Chinese batteries. If they are high, you can take a chance. Most shippers will warranty a battery for a period if you get a bad one.

NIW-

I built some custom wooden stairs out back and needed a hand planer. I bought a Bosch reconditioned unit and a box of carbide blades. It was the base unit with one blade and I didn't think it would do much...

OMG!!!

That thing works AWESOMELY!!!! Planes off wood like hot steel through butter. Glad I bought it. Got the stairs done and I can't imagine having tried to do them without it.

:)
I too have ordered those batteries too! Work very well!
I am curious why they send a pair of "jersey" gloves in the box with them!

Ordered like 4 batches over the years.....all had gloves....white!

D2Cat

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L305DT, B7100HST, TG1860, TG1860D, L4240
Mar 27, 2014
40 miles south of Kansas City
85Hokie, those white gloves are in there because the price is so good you feel like you're stealing them. This way you leave no finger prints!!:D

North Idaho Wolfman

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3450DT-GST, Woods FEL, B7100 HSD, FEL, 60" SB, 743 Bobcat with V2203, and more
Jun 9, 2013
Sandpoint, ID
What do you find inferior with the porter cables?
I wouldn't say inferior, just much lighter duty compared to the Milwaukee line.

They make for great medium use tools.
And one advantage is they are lighter weight. ;)