Is your 20v battery better than the 18V?

Fordtech86

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3200
Aug 7, 2018
Pineville,LA
Not to “flip” this but what about adding to the conversation the difference of the tools these batteries are on? Being old brush style electric motors or the newer digital brushless type that make more effecient use of the batteries available power. I use the kobalt 24 volt series for work, didn’t buy them because of the big 24 number, i got them because the price was right, replacement batteries were cheaper then all the other brands I looked at, and lowes is about a block away from work. Using them and abusing them all day everyday they have held up very good. My most used are the 1/4 inch impact driver and 3/8 impact, they both will run all week on a single charge as well (with the 2 ah batteries).

LOMartin

Lifetime Member

Equipment
B2650HSDC / B77 / FEL / LP Grapple
Jul 14, 2018
Savannah, Georgia
As above, I believe it's been long understood 18v and 20v are the same thing just with different marketing.

Think Milwaukee(18v) vs Dewalt(20v).

Brush vs Brush-less and ah is the true grading marks for a battery. Along with heat & size/weight as I see it.

#TeamRED

I recently dug deep into all this for pre-black Friday deal prep. Still on the Milwaukee platform except for specialized tools and some yellow stuff.

Current battery powered tools are incredibly powerful from any "pro" level brand, way more then what I need. Now if they can just lower weight and overall size that would be amazing.

SidecarFlip

Banned

Equipment
M9000HDCC3, M9000HD, Kubota GS850 Sidekick
Oct 28, 2018
USA
One thing that irritates me about the battery packs is, they poop out too quickly and won't take a charge and replacement packs are expensive. I have an 18 volt DeWalt with the XR batteries. When they poop out, I may get a Harbor Freight drill with their LI battery pack and try that.

I've roasted a couple DeWalt cordless drill's in the past. The brushes give out after a while and then they let the smoke out.

85Hokie

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
BX-25D ,PTB. Under Armor, '90&'92-B7100HST's, '06 BX1850 FEL
Jul 13, 2013
Bedford - VA
As a worker in the tool world at lowes on the side now days - there is a tremendous amount of talk about craftsmen tools and those new fangled 20 volt tools.

Here is the skinny.......there is NO difference in the 18 v vs 20 v.....other than the new does not work with the old (dewalt has an adapter)

the sitting voltage is 20 v ....the using voltage is 18 volts.

In the USA of A - we are allowed to "lie" about it (think about our leadership!) over seas - they cannot, and an 18 volt battery DESPITE the charge is 18 volt labeled.

The brushless tools - ( I did not like at first - poor trigger response) are much better on battery life and "power" so they say - which makes sense.

When looking at "specs" - compare the POWER (amp hours will tell you that a 4 amp/hour will last a lot longer than the 2 amp hour!)

Another spec is INCH POUND on the torque - this will tell you how much twisting force the tools has to offer ( with full battery)

Lithium Ion batteries will last a lot longer than the old NiCad....and charge faster and HOLD an idle charge longer. NiCads will DIE on the charger!

SidecarFlip

Banned

Equipment
Oct 28, 2018
USA
Good information to know. Thanks.

So tell me about the 'Craftsman' tools. Made in China maybe? I've bought some wrenches at Lowes in the past (Kobalt) and they look just like Snap-On or Williams. Who makes them?

I'm leaning towards HF for the next cordless Drill the 'Bauer' and the 'Hercules' look to be pretty good at a much lower price but I already know where they are made.

I like their 'Icon' torque wrench's just like Snap-On they work (torque) in both directions, something I need for setting the pre-load on spindle nuts.

Last edited:

Daren Todd

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Massey Ferguson 1825E, Kubota Z121S, Box blade, Rotary Cutter
May 18, 2014
Vilonia, Arkansas
As a worker in the tool world at lowes on the side now days - there is a tremendous amount of talk about craftsmen tools and those new fangled 20 volt tools.

Here is the skinny.......there is NO difference in the 18 v vs 20 v.....other than the new does not work with the old (dewalt has an adapter)

the sitting voltage is 20 v ....the using voltage is 18 volts.

In the USA of A - we are allowed to "lie" about it (think about our leadership!) over seas - they cannot, and an 18 volt battery DESPITE the charge is 18 volt labeled.

The brushless tools - ( I did not like at first - poor trigger response) are much better on battery life and "power" so they say - which makes sense.

When looking at "specs" - compare the POWER (amp hours will tell you that a 4 amp/hour will last a lot longer than the 2 amp hour!)

Another spec is INCH POUND on the torque - this will tell you how much twisting force the tools has to offer ( with full battery)

Lithium Ion batteries will last a lot longer than the old NiCad....and charge faster and HOLD an idle charge longer. NiCads will DIE on the charger!
They have improved on trigger response on the brushless guns with the lithium ion batteries.

I've used pretty much most of the brands. Dewalt, snap on, Mac, Milwaukee, Matco, and Hilti. Mainly there 1/2in impact guns.

I finally settled though and bought one from Mac. Made and powered by Dewalt, but a little smoother then the Dewalt guns. Liked it so much that I bought the 3/8 and 1/4 inch impact drivers as well. All three are brushless and the 20volt lithium ion. Needed the brushless guns since I've had more refinery work lately.

Daren Todd

Lifetime Member

Equipment
May 18, 2014
Vilonia, Arkansas
Good information to know. Thanks.

So tell me about the 'Craftsman' tools. Made in China maybe? I've bought some wrenches at Lowes in the past (Kobalt) and they look just like Snap-On or Williams. Who makes them?

I'm leaning towards HF for the next cordless Drill the 'Bauer' and the 'Hercules' look to be pretty good at a much lower price but I already know where they are made.

I like their 'Icon' torque wrench's just like Snap-On they work (torque) in both directions, something I need for setting the pre-load on spindle nuts.
I have the Bauer screw gun from harbor freight. I like the steel chuck versus the plastic covered one from some of the other brands. So far it's worked pretty well. Only complaint is it only comes with one battery, and they are pretty proud of the replacement battery.

coachgeo

Equipment
L225 w/woods Few Mowers & Back Blade, D722 in Motorcycle (Triumph Tiger), LMTV
Nov 16, 2012
Southern OH
pride of replacement batteries is why I do not buy battery powered tools at all. I'll take a corded over a battery anyday.

85Hokie

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
Jul 13, 2013
Bedford - VA
Here is more on the "name brands" - maybe a little off the subject but still relevant :

Cut and pasted :

Here is a list of what Stanley Black & Decker owes and makes!

I highlighted those that are more "famous" in RED

Acquisitions
1937: Stanley Works entered the UK market with the acquisition of J.A. Chapman of Sheffield, England.[10]
1946: Stanley Works acquired North Brothers Manufacturing Company.[11]
1963: Stanley started operations in Australia as Stanley-Titan when it bought a 50% share of Titan, a subsidiary of BHP.[12]
1966: Stanley Works acquired Vidmar Cabinets.[13]
1970: Stanley-Titan acquired Turner Tools based in Melbourne, Australia.[14]
1980: Stanley Works acquired Mac Tools.[10][15]
1984: Stanley Works purchased Proto from Ingersoll Rand and it becomes Stanley Proto.[16]
1986: Stanley Works acquired Bostitch from Textron.[17]
1990: Stanley Works acquired Goldblatt[10][15] and ZAG Industries.[15]
1990: Acquired Sidchrome Tool Co., headquartered in Melbourne, Australia; closed plant in 1996 and started to move all tool manufacturing to Taiwan, whilist sourcing various items from Proto in the USA (marked as Proto on items) due to short supply of left over Australian made tools being sold out until all manufacturing was up to speed in Taiwan.
1992: Stanley Works purchased the Chatsworth, California-based Monarch Mirror Door Co. Inc., an American manufacturer of sliding and folding mirror-doors.
2000: Stanley Works acquired Blick of Swindon, England,[10][15] a UK integrator of security solutions, communication, and time-management solutions, and CST Berger.[10][15]
2002: In October, Stanley Works acquired Best Access Systems of Indianapolis, Indiana, for $310 million. The acquisition also prompted the creation of a new Access Controls Group for Stanley. Further additions to this new working group included Blick.
2004: In January, Stanley announced plans to acquire Frisco Bay Industries Ltd., a Canadian provider of security integration services, for $45.3 million. In December, the acquisition of ISR Solutions, Inc., headquartered in Washington, D.C., was announced. ISR Solutions provides the U.S. federal government and commercial customers with access security system services.
2005: In January, the acquisition of Security Group, Inc. was announced. Security Group was composed of two primary operating companies: Sargent & Greenleaf, Inc., a manufacturer of locks; and Safemasters, a North American provider of security installation, maintenance and repair services. An additional acquisition of Precision Hardware was made in 2005.
2006: Stanley furthered its corporate assets in the security market by acquiring HSM Electronic Protection Systems after it had been spun off from Honeywell in compliance with pre-emptive Securities and Exchange Commission antitrust rulings. In the meantime, the company obtained security contracts as the primary contractor to secure three NASA spaceflight centers.[18] Stanley Works also acquired Facom'.[10][15]
2007: Late in the year, Stanley acquired OSI Security of Chula Vista, California, a provider of battery-operated wireless lock technology and supplies to government, education, and healthcare industries.
2008: Stanley acquired Beach Toolbox Industries, headquartered in Smith Falls, Ontario, Canada, then closed the plant.
2008: In June, Stanley announced the acquisition of Sonitrol, which provides security systems that use audio listening devices as the primary means of intrusion detection. Stanley also acquired Xmark Corporation, which provides radio frequency identification (RFID) solutions in healthcare environments. As of 2008, many of the Stanley Security Services divisions were being integrated under the HSM brand.
2009: On November 2, Stanley announced a merger with Black & Decker and DeWalt tools.[19] The merger was completed on March 12, 2010.[20]
2010: In July, the company announced the acquisition of CRC-Evans Pipeline International.[21] CRC-Evans provides total project support for pipeline construction contractors with automatic welding and other pipeline construction specific equipment and personnel.
2011: On September 9, the acquisition of Niscayah was complete.
2012: On January 1, the acquisition of Lista North America, headquartered in Holliston, Massachusetts, was completed.[22]
2012: On June 1, the acquisition of Powers Fasteners, headquartered in Brewster, New York, was completed.[23]
2012: On June 5, the acquisition of AeroScout, Inc., headquartered in Redwood City, California, was completed.[24]
2016: Stanley Black & Decker announced in October that it acquired the Irwin, Lenox, and Hilmor tool brands for $1.95 billion from Newell Brands.[25]
2017: On January 5, news reports indicated that it would acquire the Craftsman brand from KCD, LLC (A Sears Holdings subsidiary).[26] Subsequent reports by Bloomberg indicated that the company would pay $525 million initially, an additional $250 million after three years, as well as annual payments on new Craftsman sales for 15 years.[27]
2018: On September 12, Stanley Black & Decker announced that it has entered into a definitive agreement to acquire a 20 percent stake in MTD Products Inc, a privately held global manufacturer of outdoor power equipment, for $234 million in cash. Under the terms of the agreement, Stanley Black & Decker has the option to acquire the remaining 80 percent of MTD beginning on July 1, 2021.[28]

Power tools :

Power tools
DeWalt – power tools; B & D acquired in 1960
Guoqiang (GQ) Tools (China) – power tools
Porter-Cable – power tools; B & D acquired in 2004[32]/2005[33]
Oldham Saw Company – circular saw blade and wood router bit products; B & D acquired in 2004[32]
Black & Decker – acquired (via merger) in 2010
Stanley Hand Tools
Craftsman

these tools are made in several countries .....USA and China and Taiwan

North Idaho Wolfman

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3450DT-GST, Woods FEL, B7100 HSD, FEL, 60" SB, 743 Bobcat with V2203, and more
Jun 9, 2013
Sandpoint, ID
This is just my opinion based on a few years of actual experiance, and being in the construction and cabinet game, I've see and used all the players.

For light homeowner hobby use just about any drill/ driver will do.

For those that want good power without the huge price tag, I would say Porter cable will do perfectly (I have a set of those), the batteries last a long time, change quickly, they are powerful and lightweight, yet hold up to a lot of work.
I also have a Ryobi drill that is super tiny and small, works for getting into those small tight spaces.

For those that need to get tough jobs done all day long they are really only three players, Milwaukee, Dewalt, and Makita.
This is why:
It's not only the reliability and power of the tools it's the versatility, I use multiple tools all day long and the same batteries fit them all, drill, driver, impact, sawzall, lights, radios, charging stations, and a host of other tools.
It makes my productivity go way up and my and stress level go way down.

Yes I have and use Milwaukee tools for the Construction and Cabinet game, have for 30+ years

I guess my opinion is there is buy what works for you and your situation!

SidecarFlip

Banned

Equipment
Oct 28, 2018
USA
I have the Bauer screw gun from harbor freight. I like the steel chuck versus the plastic covered one from some of the other brands. So far it's worked pretty well. Only complaint is it only comes with one battery, and they are pretty proud of the replacement battery.
HF has really stepped up lately as far as cordless tools go. I prefer corded but when working on fence or in the feedlot, I have to have cordless or a stupid long extension cord.

I've actually took my inverter genny and strapped it on the Quad and used a corded tool out there but it's a royal PITA to do.

DeWalt is pretty 'proud' of their batteries as well.

I have to agree with Wolfman, I have a couple Porter Cable right angle grinders for in the shop and they just keep running and they get beat on hard.

Daren Todd

Lifetime Member

Equipment
May 18, 2014
Vilonia, Arkansas
This is just my opinion based on a few years of actual experiance, and being in the construction and cabinet game, I've see and used all the players.

For light homeowner hobby use just about any drill/ driver will do.

For those that want good power without the huge price tag, I would say Porter cable will do perfectly (I have a set of those), the batteries last a long time, change quickly, they are powerful and lightweight, yet hold up to a lot of work.
I also have a Ryobi drill that is super tiny and small, works for getting into those small tight spaces.

For those that need to get tough jobs done all day long they are really only three players, Milwaukee, Dewalt, and Makita.
This is why:
It's not only the reliability and power of the tools it's the versatility, I use multiple tools all day long and the same batteries fit them all, drill, driver, impact, sawzall, lights, radios, charging stations, and a host of other tools.
It makes my productivity go way up and my and stress level go way down.

Yes I have and use Milwaukee tools for the Construction and Cabinet game, have for 30+ years

I guess my opinion is there is buy what works for you and your situation!
I used to be all about Milwaukee. Till we got three cordless 1/2" drive impacts. Couldn't keep brushes in them. This was just before they came out with lithium ion and brushless. 1 or the other was getting shipped back for new brushes. Then went to a Hilti. That thing was the bomb, but heavy. Anvil broke at around 1 1/2 years. Only had the one impact. Hilti wasn't much help as far as replacement parts.

Swore off Makita before they went brushless and lithium ion. Bought a kit to replace my Dewalt set that the kids detonated. Batteries wouldn't hold a charge over night. Took them back. Store swapped the batteries. Same thing batteries wouldn't hold a charge over night. Took them back and exchanged the whole kit for a porter cable set. Had much better luck with them. Still wasn't all that impressed over the battery life compared to Milwaukee or Dewalt.

CaveCreekRay

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3800 HST, KingKutter box scraper, KingKutter 66" rake, County Pride Subsoiler
Jul 11, 2014
Cave Creek, AZ
Give BOSCH a look...

I have two "reconditioned" BOSCH drills I used during this remodel. Actually, on some days, the subs used them non-stop. The original batteries in those two drills were from 2012. Both batteries are still working great.

Lowes occasionally puts BOSCH on really steep markdowns. Amazon and ebay have great deals on reconditioned units. I just bought two more reconditioned HD 1/2 drills for $59 each (bare tool, no battery or charger). You can get a drill and a battery and charger for about $100 if you look around. I bought two replacement batteries for $45 each last year. They now have 2.0, 3.0, and 4.0 packs available.

These have been under professional hard use and I love 'em all... Plus, they have this cool clip that lets you hang a couple drills off your belt for work on a ladder. And, they have LED lights that illuminate your work.

Attachments

SidecarFlip

Banned

Equipment
Oct 28, 2018
USA
I have a Bosch SDS hmmerdrill I bought from Fastenall. Wasn't cheap but is durable and, it's corded.

Set a lot of epoxy anchors with it. Will drill 2" diameter holes in 6 bag mix every day....

Tooljunkie

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L1501,home built carry all, mini plow blade.
May 13, 2014
Lac Du Bonnet, Manitoba,Canada
Buddy and i hung 3,600 sq feet of metal. He was 18 volt makita,i was 20v dewalt.
They lasted about the same. Mine was lighter,and turned faster.
But the bit retainer broke. Online 1 spring was $4.59
My parts guy supplied 4 for 5 bucks.

85Hokie

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
Jul 13, 2013
Bedford - VA
Give BOSCH a look...

I have two "reconditioned" BOSCH drills I used during this remodel. Actually, on some days, the subs used them non-stop. The original batteries in those two drills were from 2012. Both batteries are still working great.

Lowes occasionally puts BOSCH on really steep markdowns. Amazon and ebay have great deals on reconditioned units. I just bought two more reconditioned HD 1/2 drills for $59 each (bare tool, no battery or charger). You can get a drill and a battery and charger for about $100 if you look around. I bought two replacement batteries for $45 each last year. They now have 2.0, 3.0, and 4.0 packs available.

These have been under professional hard use and I love 'em all... Plus, they have this cool clip that lets you hang a couple drills off your belt for work on a ladder. And, they have LED lights that illuminate your work.

CCR,

I have 13 of those I use at school in the shop class, 5 more impact and a new hammer drill. I have had ONE break over the last 7 years. And they take a good beating by the kids.

I like bosch drills a lot. They came out with one of the first obital jig saws, and it still cuts better than anything on the market!

Like NIW - I have all 20v porter cable power tools, own all the pieces other than the tile saw - 3 impacts, 3 drills and the saws and flashlights! Very satisfied over all.

Somewhere down the road - one of these companies will introduce a battery - that will charge in 10 minutes and take all day to drop off!

Last edited:

lugbolt

Equipment
ZG127S-54
Oct 15, 2015
Mid, South, USA
Have a dewalt 20v max drill/driver combo set. Used daily at mechanic shop, then used daily at home for a couple hours an evening give or take, bought new in 2011, used them every single day until June '18 when I bought new ones to keep at work and brought my "old" ones home.

I use them hard. For $140, and getting that length of service out of them, is impressive for a cordless tool. Yeah I could have bought more expensive ones but those were a little bigger/heavier, and for what I use 'em for, bigger isn't going to help me as much as hindering being that I use them in tight areas in tractor transmissions, lawn mowers, etc. The 1/4" driver works excellent for those little 6mm bolts and pan had screws that seem to be all over the motorcycle and ATV engines. Plenty of power to break them loose but not so much as to strip them out. Perfect for that stuff. Saves me TONS of time, so much so that they've more or less paid for themselves many times over if you compare it to using a 1/4" or 3/8" pneumatic.

20V vs 18V. They're the same thing. They're 18v batteries but will show a 20v surface charge after being on the charger for a while, first few times used, they'll be 20v until the surface charge drops off. Thats why they're labeled 20v MAX. Honestly, with these dewalts, I can't tell any difference....they run the same power & speed until the battery is completely utterly dead at which time it just stops. But they last a LONG time. These aren't the 2ah batteries either, just the 1.5's the cheaper set, and not brushless.

Perfect for what I use 'em for and one of the better tool investments I've made in the last decade.

North Idaho Wolfman

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3450DT-GST, Woods FEL, B7100 HSD, FEL, 60" SB, 743 Bobcat with V2203, and more
Jun 9, 2013
Sandpoint, ID
Oh yea I'm a Bosch fan for my woodworking stuff, Jigsaw that is as fine as a swiss watch and I have a compound miter saw that makes most people gasp when they find out what they cost, but it's worth every penny, makes supper accurate cuts over and over again. ;)

I have predominantly Porter Cable for woodworking tools, 4 Belt sanders, 2 round orbital sanders, 1 square orbital sander, 2 biscuit joiners, 12 Nail guns from framing to a pinner (shoots needle size nails).
They do know how to make woodworking tools! ;)

bgk

Apr 23, 2017
Accord, ny
Last time I bought I went all dewalt, 18v.
They’ve been okay the past three years, and the price was great.... but next time it will be milwaukee or porter cable for me. The 3 batteries are reaching the end of their life cycle, and I use my cordless reciprocating saw A LOT during deer season as I butcher 50-60 deer each season.