I think I overpaid

D2Cat

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L305DT, B7100HST, TG1860, TG1860D, L4240
Mar 27, 2014
40 miles south of Kansas City
Just to be clear, I don’t think I said that you said that you did... But you did refer to people that made similar comments to you as likely being broke, or something along those lines.

Anyway, my point was that it is possible that such people are not broke and without money…they might just be of Scotch blood like me. (Read as cheap, LOL). Nothing more than that…

Sorry if I offended you. That was not my intention.
I'm not offended. Seems like you sometimes make conversation because you're bored. Read the last couple of sentence of the original post. It reads, "... or tighter than bark on a tree! Don't let them influence your decisions."

So you identify as that character. I was only encouraging the original poster.

Henro

Equipment
B2910, BX2200, KX41-2V mini Ex.
May 24, 2019
North of Pittsburgh PA
I'm not offended. Seems like you sometimes make conversation because you're bored. Read the last couple of sentence of the original post. It reads, "... or tighter than bark on a tree! Don't let them influence your decisions."

So you identify as that character. I was only encouraging the original poster.
Oh well, I can see this is a meaningless conversation. You may have been trying to encourage the original poster, but you did so at the expense of others by degrading them due to your own assumptions.

Of course you can’t see that… And fall back on accusing others of being something they may not be.

We all have our own personalities…

PaulL

Equipment
B2601
Jul 17, 2017
NZ
I have a Honda generator and I hadn't used it in 7 or 8 months, and when I tried to start it, it wouldn't start. What I found out the hard way was that the modern gasoline goes bad quite quickly and that was the problem. Since then I have been adding a fuel stabilizer and making sure to start it every 2 or 3 months and exercise it.
My logic was you turn the fuel tap off and run to starvation (don't gum up the carb). And put a little fuel in each time, run it once every 3 months. I tend to put in high octane as that's what I have for the boat anyway, which I think lasts longer than lower octane.

Does flag another difference though. The 7kw Honda is fuel injected. No carb to go wrong.

nbryan

Equipment
B2650 BH77 LA534 54" ssqa Forks B2782B BB1560 Woods M5-4 MaxxHaul 50039
Jan 3, 2019
Hadashville, Manitoba, Canada
I have a Honda generator and I hadn't used it in 7 or 8 months, and when I tried to start it, it wouldn't start. What I found out the hard way was that the modern gasoline goes bad quite quickly and that was the problem. Since then I have been adding a fuel stabilizer and making sure to start it every 2 or 3 months and exercise it.
Try using Sea Foam fuel additive with premium gas. It seems to work quite well at keeping fuel systems, valves and injectors clean, and stabilizing fuel very well. I had a 12HP walk behind snow blower with a mostly full gas tank sit unused for 2 winters, until my neighbor came and made an offer to buy the blower off me. I gave it a go with the starter thinking I'd be draining, cleaning and refilling the fuel tank anyway and it fired up like it had fresh fuel. Not bad at all!

Reactions: 1 user

WFM

Equipment
L3800
Apr 5, 2013
Porter Maine
I had a Honda EB5000 that I bought new during the ice storm of 1998 here. A devastating storm across the northeast. Anyway I had a issue with starting and a customer of mine a small engine guy pulled off the carb and took it apart and he showed me the green inside from the corn gas. He also told me running it dry was only so good as honda puts a tiny pet cock drain you open with a screw to fully drain the system. After I was shown that I always drained it. Never a issue. I recently replaced it with a chinaFreight super quiet 9500 generator. And sold mine. A friend on his way to Alaska just dropped it off in Minnesota to some family of his there. A testament to honda this one still started 1st pull. But use the drain screw.

Attachments

Joetractor

Equipment
B7100 B670
Jun 21, 2024
Renton Wa
Just bought a new B2601 with a 54" bucket, LA435 loader and an SGC0554 grapple with 3rd valve kit installed.

Total out the door with 0% financing (60 months) and insurance was $28,427.

I was told by a neighbor I got absolutely robbed and he laughed and walked away.

Did I really just over pay that much?!?
Think of it this way, 28 with no interest is 24 with 6% for 3 years or 21 with 6 years.

fried1765

Equipment
Kubota L48 TLB, Ford 1920 FEL, Ford 8N, SCAG Liberty Z, Gravely Pro.
Nov 14, 2019
Eastham, Ma
About to push the button to buy a backup generator. I'm tight. I'm buying a 3kw Honda. Recommendation is a 7kw, but it's double the price and very large. I'm mostly getting the generator to make the other half happy, she worries about power out. We have oil heating and water heating, and gas for cooking. With led lighting, it's really only the fridges and the water pumps that use a lot of power. Oh, and the coffee machine. I can run most of that on 3kw. The key is that the oil heating and the gas cooktop won't run without a little bit of power for the igniters and the circulating pump.

So, yeah, whole house generators are expensive. Even small ones are still expensive.
I have a Honda powered 3500W Porter Cable.
It is a first class machine, but at the very threshold of running (starting) my 1HP 240V water pump.
I just ordered a 12,500 Westinghouse tri-fuel (I have natural gas) unit.
It will be an experiment ($1076 net).
Made in Vietnam and/or China, but has good reports.
I had a Honda EB5000 that I bought new during the ice storm of 1998 here. A devastating storm across the northeast. Anyway I had a issue with starting and a customer of mine a small engine guy pulled off the carb and took it apart and he showed me the green inside from the corn gas. He also told me running it dry was only so good as honda puts a tiny pet cock drain you open with a screw to fully drain the system. After I was shown that I always drained it. Never a issue. I recently replaced it with a chinaFreight super quiet 9500 generator. And sold mine. A friend on his way to Alaska just dropped it off in Minnesota to some family of his there. A testament to honda this one still started 1st pull. But use the drain screw.
I have a 6500W Honda, ......electric start, liquid cooled, OHV.
First class machine.
It has now mysteriously taken up residence at my son's house, however.

I also have a Honda powered Porter Cable unit, but it is only 3500W, and is difficult, with line loss, to start my 1HP 220V water pump,

Yesterday, I ordered a tri-fuel Westinghouse 12.5 KW unit from Home Depot.
I do have natural gas.
Made in China/Vietnam, has electric start, steel sleeve, and does have good reviews.
Cheap at $1076 OTD,.....only time will tell if it is a good value,......
I have taken much greater risks over my 83 years.

Last edited:

WFM

Equipment
L3800
Apr 5, 2013
Porter Maine
Fried what about the super quiet chinaFreight 9500w like I bought?
It's super quiet.
For long power outages like we had here this spring hearing my 15,000kw unit screaming away for three days I was ready to put a bullet in that. The nice thing about the Honda or China one I bought it has the auto idle. My big one doesn't.
It just screams away sucking up fuel. If I'm using only the radio or running a welder. No difference.
I hope your Westinghouse one has auto idle. I just googled it. I assume this is it ?

Attachments

PaulL

Equipment
B2601
Jul 17, 2017
NZ
Bought my generator today. https://www.hondaoutdoors.co.nz/generators/eu30is

Really happy with it so far (reasonable size, starts easily, runs quietly). Haven't got the wiring done yet to connect it to anything, but since my water pump is currently running off an extension lead (the power source for it current disconnected) I can plug that into the generator this afternoon and see how it goes.

EDIT: ran the pump off it this afternoon. No issue at all, it surged on the eco-throttle a bit, the pump ran, it throttled right back down once the pump had started. Think this will work out well for us.

Last edited: