I think I overpaid

PaulL

Equipment
B2601
Jul 17, 2017
NZ
I never got a free hat. I did work pretty hard on price though, so perhaps they weren't inclined to give a hat after the work they went through. And I told them I wanted a new tractor off the boat, not one that had sat on their yard getting rusty first (since my tractor lives in side).

Of course, it's all scratched up now, but it's not rusty.

Reactions: 1 user

Runs With Scissors

Equipment
L2501 TLB , Grappel, Brush Hog, Box Blade, Ballast box, Forks, Tiller, PH digger
Jan 25, 2023
Michigan
We all know people like that.

I'm with the majority here, you did fine.

Some/many people don't understand the "value" of things.

Quality machines usually are "more expensive", and there are reasons for that. I tend to stick with quality machines even if I have to pay more for them.

Kubota, Yamaha, Cummins for me, to hell with the naysayers.......

Reactions: 1 users

Orangeglow

Equipment
2015 BX2370
Jun 19, 2014
Prescott, Ontario
I keep my purchase prices to myself. The neighbours don,t need to know any of my business. I don,t understand why you would even share that type of info with anyone. If anyone asks what I paid for anything I own, I tell them I cann,t remember, just to be polite, rather than telling them it is none of their business.

fried1765

Equipment
Kubota L48 TLB, Ford 1920 FEL, Ford 8N, SCAG Liberty Z, Gravely Pro.
Nov 14, 2019
Eastham, Ma
I work overtime every week doing commercial HVAC/r. I'm 30 and have worked my absolute butt off for my 5 acre property and the things I have so when someone says I got robbed I just felt defeated. Thanks everyone for the replies and any advice
Do NOT ever loan your tractor to ANYBODY!

Reactions: 2 users

D2Cat

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L305DT, B7100HST, TG1860, TG1860D, L4240
Mar 27, 2014
40 miles south of Kansas City
I've noticed folks who make comments about me paying too much for something, or "man, they're expensive" (referring to a whole house generator) are usually people who are so broke they can't pay attention or tighter than bark on a tree! Don't let them influence your decisions.

PaulL

Equipment
B2601
Jul 17, 2017
NZ
I've noticed folks who make comments about me paying too much for something, or "man, they're expensive" (referring to a whole house generator) are usually people who are so broke they can't pay attention or tighter than bark on a tree! Don't let them influence your decisions.
About to push the button to buy a backup generator. I'm tight. I'm buying a 3kw Honda. Recommendation is a 7kw, but it's double the price and very large. I'm mostly getting the generator to make the other half happy, she worries about power out. We have oil heating and water heating, and gas for cooking. With led lighting, it's really only the fridges and the water pumps that use a lot of power. Oh, and the coffee machine. I can run most of that on 3kw. The key is that the oil heating and the gas cooktop won't run without a little bit of power for the igniters and the circulating pump.

So, yeah, whole house generators are expensive. Even small ones are still expensive.

skeets

Equipment
BX 2360 /B2601
Oct 2, 2009
SW Pa
If it makes you feel any better , mine is 2 years old, same set up as you and filled tires it was was 26 and change,, you didn't get screwed

Henro

Equipment
B2910, BX2200, KX41-2V mini Ex.
May 24, 2019
North of Pittsburgh PA
When I read your post, I thought, while I would never really criticize anybody for what they paid for something, I have to tell you that I have more money than I need to spend each month and I’m still really cheap! So I don’t think somebody criticizing somebody else for what they paid for something is a sign that they are broke. Might be just cheap like me!

I see the prices of things today and even though I could buy something, whatever it might be and it wouldn’t impact me at all, I won’t if I think it’s too expensive!

And it’s not too expensive for me personally. Not like I have all that much money, but for example, I was at target doing some shopping and I saw white peaches for sale for $1.19 each! How many do you think I bought? 😂🤣😂

On the other hand, I’ll go to a restaurant and eat sushi for lunch and pay $40 or more without blinking an eye, when I could buy a Subway hoagie with a coupon for six dollars, and wouldn’t be able to finish it in one sitting.

DustyRusty

Equipment
2020 BX23S, BX2822 Snowblower, Curtis Deluxe Cab,
Nov 8, 2015
North East CT
About to push the button to buy a backup generator. I'm tight. I'm buying a 3kw Honda. Recommendation is a 7kw, but it's double the price and very large. I'm mostly getting the generator to make the other half happy, she worries about power out. We have oil heating and water heating, and gas for cooking. With led lighting, it's really only the fridges and the water pumps that use a lot of power. Oh, and the coffee machine. I can run most of that on 3kw. The key is that the oil heating and the gas cooktop won't run without a little bit of power for the igniters and the circulating pump.

So, yeah, whole house generators are expensive. Even small ones are still expensive.
As soon as you mentioned a well pump, I realized that your 3KW generator might not be enough to keep the well pump going. There is the start-up current that has to be considered. I have a 16 KW diesel generator that will run everything in the home, including 2 a/c units and 2 HP well pump 350' below ground. It will not start my 5 HP Quincy air compressor. My 3500 KW wouldn't run the well pump and that is why I decided to get a whole house unit. I bought it about 10 + years ago and I have never been happier with a purchase.

pjoh784350

Equipment
BX23, quick attach bucket, 3 point, pallet forks
May 3, 2019
Danville
That's what is funny he immediately asked to borrow it before he knew the price and still said that to me and laughed in my face.
Tell him that your dealer reminded you "never a borrower nor a lender be". You can tell him that the advice was free so your tractor was well worth the price.

• Haha

PaulL

Equipment
B2601
Jul 17, 2017
NZ
As soon as you mentioned a well pump, I realized that your 3KW generator might not be enough to keep the well pump going. There is the start-up current that has to be considered....... My 3500 KW wouldn't run the well pump and that is why I decided to get a whole house unit.....
My pumps aren't well pumps, we have water tanks (rainwater) and therefore a household supply pump. It's about 1kw. We also have a pump that pumps from the lake for lawn irrigation, a similar size. In theory the 3kw will run both, but we'll find out - if it turns out it's not sufficient generators have pretty good resale value and I can buy a bigger one.

My main concern (other than cost) is that the 7kw unit is big and heavy. About 120kg. I don't think my partner would be able to wheel it out of the garage and connect it. And since it's all about making her happy, a backup solution that she can't use when I'm not here is a problem.

WFM

Equipment
L3800
Apr 5, 2013
Porter Maine
Last yr uncle bought a new BX2380, belly mower, loader, weight box, and not tuff tires something more aggressive and loaded rear tires. We have 5.5% sales tax here. He paid exactly $25.k .
Your tractor is a much larger frame bigger tractor. No you didn't get ripped off.
I used the 0% for five yrs. Paid mine off in 4 yrs. Congratulations a beautiful tractor have no regrets.

D2Cat

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L305DT, B7100HST, TG1860, TG1860D, L4240
Mar 27, 2014
40 miles south of Kansas City
When I read your post, I thought, while I would never really criticize anybody for what they paid for something, I have to tell you that I have more money than I need to spend each month and I’m still really cheap! So I don’t think somebody criticizing somebody else for what they paid for something is a sign that they are broke. Might be just cheap like me!

I see the prices of things today and even though I could buy something, whatever it might be and it wouldn’t impact me at all, I won’t if I think it’s too expensive!

And it’s not too expensive for me personally. Not like I have all that much money, but for example, I was at target doing some shopping and I saw white peaches for sale for $1.19 each! How many do you think I bought? 😂🤣😂

On the other hand, I’ll go to a restaurant and eat sushi for lunch and pay $40 or more without blinking an eye, when I could buy a Subway hoagie with a coupon for six dollars, and wouldn’t be able to finish it in one sitting.
What I highlighted in red is your statement. I never criticized anyone for what they spend or don't spend. That wasn't the topic, but when OTHERS make comments on what is spent.

skeets

Equipment
BX 2360 /B2601
Oct 2, 2009
SW Pa

Hell you got money you aint even spent yet,, ;)

Henro

Equipment
B2910, BX2200, KX41-2V mini Ex.
May 24, 2019
North of Pittsburgh PA
What I highlighted in red is your statement. I never criticized anyone for what they spend or don't spend. That wasn't the topic, but when OTHERS make comments on what is spent.
Just to be clear, I don’t think I said that you said that you did... But you did refer to people that made similar comments to you as likely being broke, or something along those lines.

Anyway, my point was that it is possible that such people are not broke and without money…they might just be of Scotch blood like me. (Read as cheap, LOL). Nothing more than that…

Sorry if I offended you. That was not my intention.

skeets

Equipment
BX 2360 /B2601
Oct 2, 2009
SW Pa
My pumps aren't well pumps, we have water tanks (rainwater) and therefore a household supply pump. It's about 1kw. We also have a pump that pumps from the lake for lawn irrigation, a similar size. In theory the 3kw will run both, but we'll find out - if it turns out it's not sufficient generators have pretty good resale value and I can buy a bigger one.

My main concern (other than cost) is that the 7kw unit is big and heavy. About 120kg. I don't think my partner would be able to wheel it out of the garage and connect it. And since it's all about making her happy, a backup solution that she can't use when I'm not here is a problem.
My friend, if I may a 7KW is just about as small as you want to go for the house and still be comfortable. If you can run a line from your shed to a sub panel by your breaker /fuse box and from the sub with a disconnect to the main bus bar and pull the main. Is it legal doing it like this welllll NO it aint but as long as you maintain your due diligence, it works and you dont cook anybody out working on the lines. Or just get a real disconnect. Then the genset stays in the shed and all she need do is throw the disconnect and start it and she doesnt have to move it

PaulL

Equipment
B2601
Jul 17, 2017
NZ
My friend, if I may a 7KW is just about as small as you want to go for the house and still be comfortable. If you can run a line from your shed to a sub panel by your breaker /fuse box and from the sub with a disconnect to the main bus bar and pull the main. Is it legal doing it like this welllll NO it aint but as long as you maintain your due diligence, it works and you dont cook anybody out working on the lines. Or just get a real disconnect. Then the genset stays in the shed and all she need do is throw the disconnect and start it and she doesnt have to move it
I'm getting a proper disconnect/switch over. The panel is near the garage, but I don't want to run a generator inside the garage - too much carbon monoxide risk there (and there are bedrooms attached to the garage). I do have another shed, but that's a long way to run a line.

I can get a 7kw unit for about the same price as the Honda. But
a) my math says I can run the house, our total load is about 2kw at any time. And the missus agrees that we can turn things off, we don't have to run everything gin the house. She just wants the freezer, pump, cooktop and coffee machine, plus a few lights.
b) I figure that a backup needs to work first time every time. So it needs to be a Honda, not a no name brand (no matter how cheap). No point in spending money on a backup that doesn't work. So I'd rather a Honda of lower capacity than a no-name of more capacity
c) I could spend more money, but we have power cuts maybe once a year. I don't want to spend enough to run everything in the house simultaneously when we only have outages very infrequently. With compromise, I feel that the 3kw will do. But as I say, I can get it, run it, and see how things go. If it's not enough, I can trade it on a 7kw Honda, and give them another $3k for the privilege.

DustyRusty

Equipment
2020 BX23S, BX2822 Snowblower, Curtis Deluxe Cab,
Nov 8, 2015
North East CT
I have a Honda generator and I hadn't used it in 7 or 8 months, and when I tried to start it, it wouldn't start. What I found out the hard way was that the modern gasoline goes bad quite quickly and that was the problem. Since then I have been adding a fuel stabilizer and making sure to start it every 2 or 3 months and exercise it.