Hydraulic coupler question

Russell King

Equipment
L185F, Modern Ag Competitor 4’ shredder, Rhino tiller, rear dirt scoop
Jun 17, 2012
Austin, Texas
I have purchased a rear remote valve and top and tilt cylinders.

The valve came assembled and ready to mount on the ROPS. The female coupling halves were installed on the valve and they are double acting sleeves. Those are promoted as single hand operation.

I would understand that if you have the female half in your hand to push onto or pull off the stationary male half.

I also understand the way to clamp the double acting sleeve and make it a break away coupler. And in that case you can easily attach a hose with one hand since the female coupler will slide back in the sleeve.

The short question is…
Which half of a double acting sleeve coupler is supposed to be installed on the stationary rear remote valve?

TheOldHokie

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3901/LA525, B7200DT/B1630, G2160/RCK60, G2460/RCK60
Apr 6, 2021
Myersville, MD
windyridgefarm.us
I have purchased a rear remote valve and top and tilt cylinders.

The valve came assembled and ready to mount on the ROPS. The female coupling halves were installed on the valve and they are double acting sleeves. Those are promoted as single hand operation.

I would understand that if you have the female half in your hand to push onto or pull off the stationary male half.

I also understand the way to clamp the double acting sleeve and make it a break away coupler. And in that case you can easily attach a hose with one hand since the female coupler will slide back in the sleeve.

The short question is…
Which half of a double acting sleeve coupler is supposed to be installed on the stationary rear remote valve?
This terminology can get a bit confusing.

For a "two way" sleeve coupler to work the sleeve needs to be bulkhead mounted. That holds the sleeve stationary and allows the body to move as you push/pull the tips. Picture below shows Safeway S40 two way sleeve couplers mounted in a panel. Kubota uses this style on the Grand L and possiblt MX series tractors.

20210922_082419.jpg

The other type is a push/pull connect under pressure female coupler which can be base mounted on valve ports. Faster 3CFPV is an example. This style of push/pull coupler is used on M series Kubotas and is considerably more expensive than the two way sleeve style.

AL166181-1-510x510.jpg

So which do you have?

Dan

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user

Russell King

Equipment
Jun 17, 2012
Austin, Texas
Trausch Dynamics ISO 5675 2286507
  • ISO 5675
  • Parker/Pioneer 4200
  • Poppet Design
  • Two-way sleeve allows the user to hook-up with one hand and allows for breakaway if clamp or bulkhead mounted
  • Designed for general purpose agricultural application

So probably the first kind but not bulkhead mounted. I assume there is a rubber hose behind the bulkhead?

TheOldHokie

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Apr 6, 2021
Myersville, MD
windyridgefarm.us
Trausch Dynamics ISO 5675 2286507
  • ISO 5675
  • Parker/Pioneer 4200
  • Poppet Design
  • Two-way sleeve allows the user to hook-up with one hand and allows for breakaway if clamp or bulkhead mounted
  • Designed for general purpose agricultural application

So probably the first kind but not bulkhead mounted. I assume there is a rubber hose behind the bulkhead?
If you look at your Trausch couplers I think you will find they'are Safeway S40 series couplers - exactly what I have in that panel. And yes, my couplers are connected to hoses which allows them to "float" - push/pull operation with break-away protection.

Dan

Russell King

Equipment
Jun 17, 2012
Austin, Texas
If you look at your Trausch couplers I think you will find they'are Safeway S40 series couplers - exactly what I have in that panel. And yes, my couplers are connected to hoses which allows them to "float" - push/pull operation with break-away protection.

Dan
Okay that explains that.

Is there any technical reason not to put the male half on the valve and then the female half on the hose? I have seen that the flow should come out of the female half but the flow really goes both directions on these double acting cylinder connections-correct?

TheOldHokie

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Apr 6, 2021
Myersville, MD
windyridgefarm.us
Okay that explains that.

Is there any technical reason not to put the male half on the valve and then the female half on the hose? I have seen that the flow should come out of the female half but the flow really goes both directions on these double acting cylinder connections-correct?
No technical reason but putting femsle bodies on all the implement hoses gets expensive fast.

Dan

Russell King

Equipment
Jun 17, 2012
Austin, Texas
No technical reason but putting femsle bodies on all the implement hoses gets expensive fast.

Dan
That makes sense but all I currently have is the top and tilt cylinders. I see the female side is about double the cost of the male half.

I will think about it and decide what to do.

Russell King

Equipment
Jun 17, 2012
Austin, Texas
Sectional or monoblock? I am guessing this came as a package with your TnT cylinders. How long did you wait?

Dan
It is a sectional valve.

Yes it came along as a complete setup from Fit Rite Hydraulics.

I waited 36 weeks or so.