Grease guns that don't leak?

fried1765

Equipment
Kubota L48 TLB, Ford 1920 FEL, Ford 8N, SCAG Liberty Z, Gravely Pro.
Nov 14, 2019
Eastham, Ma
Yeah - I'm not inclined to keep boxes of oily rags around. A single layer of rag wrapped around a grease gun isn't a hazard...
I did not DELIBERATELY "keep boxes of oily rags around" either!

lynnmor

Equipment
B2601-1
May 3, 2021
Red Lion
I don't know if it is a fire hazard but I cover oily shelves and line chainsaw boxes with pee pads, when they get ugly I change them out. Luckily I found a large case of them just 2 weeks ago at a benefit garage sale that well may be a lifetime supply.

• Love
Reactions: 1 user

Mowbizz

Equipment
Bx25d
Aug 19, 2021
New Hampshire
I have never had grease guns that leaked…my garage gets hot as hell. Best thing I ever bought was the Milwaukee grease gun and LockNLube! That said, I should go grease my BX25D!

Last edited:

WI_Hedgehog

Equipment
BX2370 (impliment details in Profile-About)
Apr 24, 2024
Milwaukee, Wisconsin, U.S.A.
Grease is basically "wax" that holds oil until heated, at which point it releases the oil to lubricate the surrounding parts.

If you have a quality grease gun, the grease in the tip of the gun is where the "leak" originates from: as the garage temperature rises some of the "wax" melts and releases the oil, which is exactly what you want the grease to do. The smaller the tip (like a push-on) the less grease there is stored in the tip and the less oil that leaks out. Lock-N-Lube tips comparatively hold "a lot" of grease and therefore "leak" "a lot."

The trick to it is tear a half-sheet of paper towel off the roll and fold it twice, then fold it over the tip of the grease gun, and slide that into an industrial self-sealing bag (like you'd get bolts in). The paper towel is cheap and easily disposable, the bag is sturdy, oil resistant, and won't easily slide off on its own. I store the gun, an extra tube of grease, and the Lock-N-Lube rebuild kit in a narrow yet long enough cardboard box with an extra layer of cardboard on the bottom so if the gun would somehow leak (I keep it clean so it doesn't) the removable layer of cardboard is easily replaceable.

Personally I like quality two-hand manual grease guns because they're affordable ($100), reliable (no battery needed), and easy to use even if a person has arthritis or damages a hand (hold the body against a leg and pump with the other hand). The Lock-N-Lube is fantastic for quickly greasing up and well worth the investment.

"Oily rags left in a closed container can become a safety nightmare." -OSHA
Don't seal up the container "tight," let it breath. If the combustible vapor to air ratio is "too low" or "too high" it won't combust (kind of like in an engine, there's a range it needs to be in so it runs).

trackman23

Equipment
MX4800
Nov 22, 2023
NC
Thx folks! I’m gonna give the fancy lock n lube gun and the gun condom a try.