Fixing hole in side of block

Russell King

Equipment
L185F, Modern Ag Competitor 4’ shredder, Rhino tiller, rear dirt scoop
Jun 17, 2012
Austin, Texas
The liners are meant to be replaced when they need to be replaced. If they are dam or oversized due to wear they must be replaced. There are oversized pistons and rings made for when the liners are worn or slightly damaged but they only go so much oversized.

You can probably get the liners out and back in but they then have to be bored to the correct inner diameter for the smallest piston and ring set that you purchase. The liners are probably some type of solid steel tube (thicker wall than you get) and the outside diameter is turned to a certain diameter with some tolerance so it fits into the bore of the block. Then the inner diameter is probably bored out some to end up close to the final bore but too small for the piston to fit properly. When this is in the machining process it is probably supported by the machine tooling so it stays round. But as soon as it is taken out of the machine the residual stresses in the material will deform the thin walled cylinder into some shape that is not perfectly round. When the block was machined the bore where these liners is bored round with a tight tolerance and will force the thin walled cylinders back into shape as they are installed. There will be significant friction force on the outer diameter so it will not move. The rings on the piston will not have as much friction force on the inner diameter to move the liner. If a ring does break and gouges into the liner it could potentially cause the liner to move but that is probably not likely due to the way the block is bored and the head but not impossible. I think the liners could be slightly longer than the bore in the block when manufactured. So during the process the liners must be bored to the proper inner diameter and also the top of the block will be milled flat so the liners don’t project above the surface of the block.

In short the liners MUST be machined to size after they are installed into the block.

I think the machine shop would want to do the removal and installation of the sleeves in their shop so they can control that process to be safe for the future machining process. They might not provide any warranty or guarantee if they were installed before the block was delivered to them. Plus they probably do something similar all the time so have some experience with the process.

I don’t know where on the earth you reside (since you are reluctant to place yourself on a particular continent) but you should consider what the machine shop wants before you start making decisions on the liner removal. Call a few and ask because different places on earth probably have different processes and procedures for the same end results.

Reactions: 1 user

fried1765

Equipment
Kubota L48 TLB, Ford 1920 FEL, Ford 8N, SCAG Liberty Z, Gravely Pro.
Nov 14, 2019
Eastham, Ma
The liners are meant to be replaced when they need to be replaced. If they are dam or oversized due to wear they must be replaced. There are oversized pistons and rings made for when the liners are worn or slightly damaged but they only go so much oversized.

You can probably get the liners out and back in but they then have to be bored to the correct inner diameter for the smallest piston and ring set that you purchase. The liners are probably some type of solid steel tube (thicker wall than you get) and the outside diameter is turned to a certain diameter with some tolerance so it fits into the bore of the block. Then the inner diameter is probably bored out some to end up close to the final bore but too small for the piston to fit properly. When this is in the machining process it is probably supported by the machine tooling so it stays round. But as soon as it is taken out of the machine the residual stresses in the material will deform the thin walled cylinder into some shape that is not perfectly round. When the block was machined the bore where these liners is bored round with a tight tolerance and will force the thin walled cylinders back into shape as they are installed. There will be significant friction force on the outer diameter so it will not move. The rings on the piston will not have as much friction force on the inner diameter to move the liner. If a ring does break and gouges into the liner it could potentially cause the liner to move but that is probably not likely due to the way the block is bored and the head but not impossible. I think the liners could be slightly longer than the bore in the block when manufactured. So during the process the liners must be bored to the proper inner diameter and also the top of the block will be milled flat so the liners don’t project above the surface of the block.

In short the liners MUST be machined to size after they are installed into the block.

I think the machine shop would want to do the removal and installation of the sleeves in their shop so they can control that process to be safe for the future machining process. They might not provide any warranty or guarantee if they were installed before the block was delivered to them. Plus they probably do something similar all the time so have some experience with the process.

I don’t know where on the earth you reside (since you are reluctant to place yourself on a particular continent) but you should consider what the machine shop wants before you start making decisions on the liner removal. Call a few and ask because different places on earth probably have different processes and procedures for the same end results.
Maybe......Tajikistan ????

Jim L.

Jun 18, 2014
Texas
Russell has given really good advice. If anything hiccups, the shop (will, can) claim that it it not their fault but yours. Also, shops like to do the "whole job" and not little jobs because of overhead. Russell has given us something to think about.

joesmith123

Equipment
L295DT, BX1500
Mar 18, 2023
earth
The rings on the piston will not have as much friction force on the inner diameter to move the liner.
Yes I am comprehending, the rings rubbing on the liner is not enough friction to move the liner

If a ring does break and gouges into the liner it could potentially cause the liner to move but that is probably not likely due to the way the block is bored and the head but not impossible.
That center liner on the engine I am fixing, it did shift down a bit, and when I took the piston out, the piston was broken

I am guessing that the piston gouged into the liner and pulled it down a bit

Yesterday, tried hammering on the liner with 2x4 in between hammer and liner, attempting to move it back into place, could not get it to budge

Image 6-14-24 at 10.50 AM.jpeg

Here is the spec sheet for L295

The bore on this engine is 82 mm

82 mm is referring to the diameter of the cylinder hole WITH the liner installed, correct?

I am getting ready to get the liners, and take them to machine shop, I just want to have the number ready to tell them for when they bore out the unfinished liner

The basic instruction I am giving the machine shop: "Put in the new sleeves, and bore it to 82 mm"

Should I take the pistons and rings and install them there to make sure it is ok, or

Long as it is bored to 82 mm, it should be fine, dont take the pistons to the machine shop, just install them once you get the engine block back with the bored out sleeves

This is the kit I am fixing to get, I looked through them to see if one is better than the other, but they all look pretty much the same

Let me know if I am correct, take care

Last edited:

Ktrim

Equipment
B2400, lA352 loader,3pth quick hitch/z122r zero turn/restored 52 farmall super a
Dec 23, 2020
Nazareth Pa
You need to take the crank and get it checked. I'd it

DustyRusty

Equipment
2020 BX23S, BX2822 Snowblower, Curtis Deluxe Cab,
Nov 8, 2015
North East CT
Have you talked to a local Kubota dealer about ordering the parts you will need? You won't be paying shipping on some heavy parts, and even if they charge you a sales tax, it might still be the same as Messicks. Messicks is required to collect sales tax under the new rules, however, I don't know if they are doing it yet. I have found that the local Kubota dealer charges the same prices as Messicks, and they get whatever I need on their stock order, so there are no shipping costs to me. When I have a question, I can usually get an answer from either the parts department or the service department. By supporting the local dealer, you are supporting the local people who work there. Messicks is large enough that they can survive without taking business away from local dealers. The only time that I order from Messicks is when they have it in stock and the Kubota warehouse is out of stock on the item.

• Love
Reactions: 2 users

North Idaho Wolfman

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3450DT-GST, Woods FEL, B7100 HSD, FEL, 60" SB, 743 Bobcat with V2203, and more
Jun 9, 2013
Sandpoint, ID
Don't use the condensed info for bore specs, use the engine rebuild WSM, it will more info like this which is needed to do a rebuild.

1718476923427.png

fried1765

Equipment
Kubota L48 TLB, Ford 1920 FEL, Ford 8N, SCAG Liberty Z, Gravely Pro.
Nov 14, 2019
Eastham, Ma
Have you talked to a local Kubota dealer about ordering the parts you will need? You won't be paying shipping on some heavy parts, and even if they charge you a sales tax, it might still be the same as Messicks. Messicks is required to collect sales tax under the new rules, however, I don't know if they are doing it yet. I have found that the local Kubota dealer charges the same prices as Messicks, and they get whatever I need on their stock order, so there are no shipping costs to me. When I have a question, I can usually get an answer from either the parts department or the service department. By supporting the local dealer, you are supporting the local people who work there. Messicks is large enough that they can survive without taking business away from local dealers. The only time that I order from Messicks is when they have it in stock and the Kubota warehouse is out of stock on the item.
I have a bit of a different take on that.
My local Kubota dealer is 80+ miles away.
Thus, shipping and tax are always an issue, for me.
My "go to" is always Messick's.
I have both a Ford and a Kubota.
Messick's is INCREDIBLY helpful with sourcing hard to find parts.
"Local" Kubota dealer has been consistently ambivalent.

Reactions: 1 users

jaxs

Equipment
B1750HST
Jun 22, 2023
Texas
I have a bit of a different take on that.
My local Kubota dealer is 80+ miles away.
Thus, shipping and tax are always an issue, for me.
My "go to" is always Messick's.
I have both a Ford and a Kubota.
Messick's is INCREDIBLY helpful with sourcing hard to find parts.
"Local" Kubota dealer has been consistently ambivalent.
Admit it you can no longer run with the big dogs.:giggle:

• Sad

Russell King

Equipment
L185F, Modern Ag Competitor 4’ shredder, Rhino tiller, rear dirt scoop
Jun 17, 2012
Austin, Texas
Don't use the condensed info for bore specs, use the engine rebuild WSM, it will more info like this which is needed to do a rebuild.

View attachment 130930
Just idle curiosity on my part but the cylinder liner ID has the letters RV (smaller bore) and AL (larger bore). I assume those numbers are the tolerance limits but can’t figure out what those letters mean. Does anyone have any insight on that?

Shadetree605

Equipment
kubota b2100
May 1, 2022
north little rock, ar
Yes I am comprehending, the rings rubbing on the liner is not enough friction to move the liner

That center liner on the engine I am fixing, it did shift down a bit, and when I took the piston out, the piston was broken

I am guessing that the piston gouged into the liner and pulled it down a bit

Yesterday, tried hammering on the liner with 2x4 in between hammer and liner, attempting to move it back into place, could not get it to budge

View attachment 130825

Here is the spec sheet for L295

The bore on this engine is 82 mm

82 mm is referring to the diameter of the cylinder hole WITH the liner installed, correct?

I am getting ready to get the liners, and take them to machine shop, I just want to have the number ready to tell them for when they bore out the unfinished liner

The basic instruction I am giving the machine shop: "Put in the new sleeves, and bore it to 82 mm"

Should I take the pistons and rings and install them there to make sure it is ok, or

Long as it is bored to 82 mm, it should be fine, dont take the pistons to the machine shop, just install them once you get the engine block back with the bored out sleeves

This is the kit I am fixing to get, I looked through them to see if one is better than the other, but they all look pretty much the same

Let me know if I am correct, take care
gonna bounce on this: when you bore any block, cylinder ?, ALWAYS have the pistons on hand, if the machine shop does the work ?, either let them order the pistons ?, or..have the pistons up front, hand them to them, tell them to bore the cylinders to fit the pistons. regardless of what the measurement bore is now ?..or later when bored ?..you AWLAYS want to have the pistons on hand to check for measurements when you ?, or a machine shop bores the cylinders. been watching a few flutube video's, and i can tell you right now..when you or the machine shop installs the liners ?..even std. pistons will not fit in the sleaves !..new sleaves will have to be bored over to match pistons, regardless of what size liners or pistons you order ?,

• Love

North Idaho Wolfman

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3450DT-GST, Woods FEL, B7100 HSD, FEL, 60" SB, 743 Bobcat with V2203, and more
Jun 9, 2013
Sandpoint, ID
Just idle curiosity on my part but the cylinder liner ID has the letters RV (smaller bore) and AL (larger bore). I assume those numbers are the tolerance limits but can’t figure out what those letters mean. Does anyone have any insight on that?
I have to search for the answer to this, it is in one of the books.
I think (PURE off the top of my head GUESS) RV = Reached variable, AL = Absolute Limit.

joesmith123

Equipment
L295DT, BX1500
Mar 18, 2023
earth

View attachment 130930
Thank you for this, I will give this to the machine shop

when you bore any block, cylinder ?, ALWAYS have the pistons on hand, if the machine shop does the work ?, either let them order the pistons ?, or..have the pistons up front, hand them to them, tell them to bore the cylinders to fit the pistons. regardless of what the measurement bore is now
Yes I am comprehending: When I take the block to machine shop, have the exact pistons that are going in that engine block, and I will also have that data sheet wolf provided, and they will be able to hone the liners to the correct specification

I did come across these threads on this forum. Someone installed a chinese kit and instantly after less than 1 hour, had white smoke, something with the piston rings

Generally, the consensus in the replies was, "Dont put cheap chinese stuff internally, but you can put chinese things externally"

I am busy on another job, but what I'm thinking:

Get the chinese kit to fill in all the gaskets, o rings, this or that, all the little stuff BUT

For the main bearings and connecting rod bearings, and maybe even the liners, get genuine kubota

I'm still deciding on whether to use the knock off pistons and rings, or genuine pistons and rings. Or maybe, chinese pistons with GENUINE rings

Its gonna be a hybrid of the two, cheap chinese kit, and genuine kubota where it matters

I'll figure it out

joesmith123

Equipment
L295DT, BX1500
Mar 18, 2023
earth
Rebuilt the head

IMG_1316.jpeg

Best way to put in the springs, and those tiny pieces of holders, put the head close to grip, position it in the way shown in the picture, push down on the ball joint separator, then use big flathead to push down those little metal pieces into place

IMG_1319.jpeg

rebuilt head

IMG_1324.jpeg

This was part number 210 in the diagram, took it out using air chisel, I need that set of pieces of steel of different diameters so I can hammer parts like this without destroying them

IMG_1326.jpeg

brushed diesel onto flywheel, hit it with 2500 rpm 6 inch wire wheel on polisher

IMG_1327.jpeg

Engine gear cover: removed all the stuck on gaskets using window scraper, went through all holes with a pic, hit it with different size front facing wire wheel on drill (dip wire wheel in diesel, hit the entire gear cover, stop drill, run it the opposite direction, dip again in diesel and repeat), unclogged all avenues of liquids, bottom had clogs in some of the ports

IMG_1329.jpeg

This was where that part 210 come out from, hit it with wire wheel of proper size on drill, both directions for 5 minutes, it does look like an avenue of oil, front of crankshaft spins on this

IMG_1333.jpeg

inside of gear cover after hitting it with different abrasives, then hit with pressurized parts cleaner

IMG_1334.jpeg

Flywheel after being hit with pressurized parts cleaner, it had tons of sludge on one section, my thinking: it needs to be cleaned since there would be more weight on one area, unbalancing the flywheel

IMG_1335.jpeg

Back of flywheel

IMG_1332.jpeg

Front of gear cover after hit with parts cleaner, made sure to go through and open up all ports with pic, went through with blade on window scraper and took out all gasket materials, front facing wire wheel of different sizes to get the different holes, spin in both directions, keep dipping in diesel

I ordered all parts from different sources, it will take few weeks to get here, I still havent figured it out, I did find a piston for $50 and that should be here friday, have one liner coming soon, ordered all the bearings genuine kubota, they have not shipped and dont know when, it'll figure itself out no rush

next steps: I been using shovels and rakes to level the shop floor, fixing to build more table space to sit down and go through all the screws, pumps, gears, all the areas of gasket, clean them, wire wheels, window scraper, pretty much 2 pallets put together and with legs, and then build a stool of some kind

Take apart engine with the hole in it: Once I build more table space and level the ground and have a better setup, then start taking apart engine with hole in it, prepare area to organize those parts and to clean those parts separate from the other engine without the hole in it, clean and organize that engine, I might take the two pistons from that engine, and use them for the other engine...

i'll figure it out

Last edited:
Reactions: 2 users