Fish Lifes B6100 Restoration

Lencho

Lifetime Member

Equipment
B7100hst
Jan 21, 2017
NM
No help with the dash panels - I just want to say I am enjoying this thread. Very nice work.

motorhead

Equipment
2009 B3200, 2007 Dodge/Cummins powered Ram 2500 395hp
May 17, 2012
Atascadero
You might try VERY lightly cleaning the panel and spraying some Duplicolor CLEAR High Temp coating on it and cure it at about 175-200 degrees, IF it is not plastic. I have had good success with that coating for durability.

FishLife

Nov 28, 2018
Destin, Fl
You might try VERY lightly cleaning the panel and spraying some Duplicolor CLEAR High Temp coating on it and cure it at about 175-200 degrees, IF it is not plastic. I have had good success with that coating for durability.
It is aluminum. I was going to try an reproduce it if there not still available. I think there made by anodizing the panel black and acid etching or lasering the information into it.

FishLife

Nov 28, 2018
Destin, Fl
While in the process of dismantling I noticed the insulation on the wiring is brittle and cracking. Has anyone done a total rewire? Anyone make there own harness?

motorhead

Equipment
May 17, 2012
Atascadero
While in the process of dismantling I noticed the insulation on the wiring is brittle and cracking. Has anyone done a total rewire? Anyone make there own harness?
I have made up wiring harnesses for portions of the main loom on cars and motorcycles. Cut back the sheathing and see if the insulation is okay there. If it is okay, you could partially replace the bad parts. BUT..... If you choose to do that then do it right by soldering the splices of the new wire on to the good wire in the loom. Buy some good shrink tube and put it over the splices. Best shrink tube is the stuff with heat activated glue/sealer. It insures that moisture won't get into the splice and degrade it.
I have "rebuilt" several engine compartment wiring looms on old VW's that were show cars.

FishLife

Nov 28, 2018
Destin, Fl
I have made up wiring harnesses for portions of the main loom on cars and motorcycles. Cut back the sheathing and see if the insulation is okay there. If it is okay, you could partially replace the bad parts. BUT..... If you choose to do that then do it right by soldering the splices of the new wire on to the good wire in the loom. Buy some good shrink tube and put it over the splices. Best shrink tube is the stuff with heat activated glue/sealer. It insures that moisture won't get into the splice and degrade it.
I have "rebuilt" several engine compartment wiring looms on old VW's that were show cars.
I did cut some of the loom back and it’s brittel. I priced out both sections for a new one and its about $300. I laid out the bottom section and and will just make a new harness. Wish there was still a Radio Shack around to get the connector and pins.

Attachments

motorhead

Equipment
May 17, 2012
Atascadero
fishlife, Check out Delcity.net, https://www.delcity.net/
Here is their connector page for male and female gang plugs. https://www.delcity.net/store/Wire-Connectors-&-Quick-Splices/

I have dealt with them several times for all sorts of electrical stuff I needed to build some circuit boxes I sold for a while. The quality is good and they assemble your order and get it shipped out right away. They have wire, shrink tube, terminals, just about everything you need for low voltage wiring for automotive and equipment.

Last edited:

FishLife

Nov 28, 2018
Destin, Fl
fishlife, Check out Delcity.net, https://www.delcity.net/
Here is their connector page for male and female gang plugs. https://www.delcity.net/store/Wire-Connectors-&-Quick-Splices/

I have dealt with them several times for all sorts of electrical stuff I needed to build some circuit boxes I sold for a while. The quality is good and they assemble your order and get it shipped out right away. They have wire, shrink tube, terminals, just about everything you need for low voltage wiring for automotive and equipment.
Thanks for the source. That was just what I was looking for.

Jim L.

Jun 18, 2014
Texas
When you need to replace a connector, you might check out:

bmotorsports.com
easternbeaver.com
corsa-technic.com

The specs on a particular connector will have the pin type. Each pin type will take a particular crimper. Having the right crimper tool is important.

Also important is to have support close to connectors. The wiring harness should not be supported by the connectors.

FishLife

Nov 28, 2018
Destin, Fl
Somebody has a lot of wrench turning ahead of them! I figured I had come this far so just take it completely apart. At least now I can clean the tunnel out good now. The reason for taking it this far is that a lot of the o-rings, gaskets where old and leaking and it would be a half a## job to if I painted over leaking oil. Its a lot of wrench turning but im enjoying it.

Attachments

JohnDB

Equipment
M4500DT
Jun 9, 2018
NZ
I've been enjoying reading your thread, keep up the good work and progress reports :)

I had a quick search of your thread and couldn't figure out if you've got a workshop service manual. If you don't have one, get one! Honestly, best investment you could make.

FishLife

Nov 28, 2018
Destin, Fl
I've been enjoying reading your thread, keep up the good work and progress reports :)

I had a quick search of your thread and couldn't figure out if you've got a workshop service manual. If you don't have one, get one! Honestly, best investment you could make.
Yes. I have the one that Torch linked and another one by I&T