L2501, LA526,
Jul 19, 2022
Virginia
One year later....
Under the RV
20240616_155421.jpg

Where it's driven on occasionally

20240616_155433.jpg

No complaints. Holding up great! Great white Northern winters may take a heavier toll on areas not continually compacted. Here in the mid Atlantic, it's just as dense as the day I rolled it.

Reactions: 5 users

GreensvilleJay

Equipment
BX23-S,57 A-C D-14,58 A-C D-14, 57 A-C D-14,tiller,cults,Millcreek 25G spreader,
Apr 2, 2019
Greensville,Ontario,Canada
I must have bought 'low tar' RAP....yours seems to have much more 'binder/tar/gooey black' than than mine.
Also the 'bad' area for me was up against the southern side of the shop, so super HOT, no wind.

The Evil Twin

Equipment
L2501, LA526,
Jul 19, 2022
Virginia
It was not that old when I got it. From what I could tell. There is a lot of roadwork in the next county over which is where it came from. The standard government "build a temporary road over here so we can build a permanent one over there"
I could have lucked out there.

MountainMeadows

Equipment
L2501, JD 655, Ford 841, JD 6x4 Gator, Gravely 432.
Jun 6, 2022
Poconos, PA
I did my parking lot with "Millings" as they call them in this neck of the woods. Rolled + pack it after spreading them and they are holding up great. The next best thing to Asphalt and Free. The best pat is that it doesn't take on water link modified. No mud holes and nearly no puddling.

20231209_124103.jpg

Reactions: 5 users

Geezer3d

Equipment
Kubota LX2610SU
Apr 22, 2021
Heart of the Catskills
Has anyone tried putting asphalt sealer on the 'tailings' or 'millngs' or whatever they are called in your part of the world to help them become more like asphalt?

biketopia

Equipment
B2650, RK 60" BB, 42" tiller, 72" LP FM, Forks, Grapple, FEL
Feb 15, 2024
Warrenton VA
Has anyone tried putting asphalt sealer on the 'tailings' or 'millngs' or whatever they are called in your part of the world to help them become more like asphalt?
My buddy did a small parking pad by his house and used a mix of diesel and old motor oil in a weed sprayer then rolled it with a small walk behind roller, looks and has held up great.

Reactions: 3 users

fried1765

Equipment
Kubota L48 TLB, Ford 1920 FEL, Ford 8N, SCAG Liberty Z, Gravely Pro.
Nov 14, 2019
Eastham, Ma
Yes!
If you put millings down, and roll them in the Summer heat, you will like the result!

Geezer3d

Equipment
Kubota LX2610SU
Apr 22, 2021
Heart of the Catskills
Thanks for the replies. I may try this later this summer.

We have drifted a long way from EA bankruptcy and I will open a new thread if I have anything else to say about millings.

Reactions: 2 users

WI_Hedgehog

Equipment
BX2370 (impliment details in profile-about)
Apr 24, 2024
Milwaukee, Wisconsin, U.S.A.
Recycled asphalt aka RAP, is great IF you keep driving on it. As there is no 'binder' ( 'tar' ) ,over time it'll go from 'firmly bonded to 'granual-pellety'. I had the shop driveway and parking lot done and it was great EXCEPT under the parked cars and tractors. There it 'broke down'' over a few weeks.
Now if you can get 'slag', a byproduct of steel making, that stuff is waay better ! Once compacted ,even a full size excavator will have 'fun' trying to break it up ! Problem is not too many steel plants anymore...
We packed slag down tight in thin layers--that works incredibly well. Then upper management said we were wasting too much time, just dump a thick layer and it'll work the same--well, that was a high-dollar college Engineering degree wasted, it never bonded tightly with itself and made a rusty mess of the lot.

The Evil Twin

Equipment
L2501, LA526,
Jul 19, 2022
Virginia
Sealer will not do the trick. It is not designed to hold loose aggregate together.
For the love of all things redneck, don't use diesel, oil or kero on it either. Go to a grocery store and check out the asphalt. The areas where cars park and leak oil will be degrading faster than the other areas. People usually park nose in, and that area will be worse than the other end of each parking spot. If oil and fuel were good for binding asphalt, those heavy leak areas should be in better shape than other areas.
Without going into boring sciencey details, the aforementioned products act as solvent that degrades the binder in the asphalt.

GeoHorn

Lifetime Member

Equipment
M4700DT, LA1002FEL, Ferguson5-8B Compactor-Roller, 10KDumpTrailer, RTV-X900
May 18, 2018
Texas
I”m curious to know if any our participants here at OTT , who have paid for equip't and never rec’d it, are suing EA for their money.

I realize that some folks were successful at getting their credit-cards refunded…. That’s not what I’m asking.

I’m curious to know of any individual or class-action suits are having any hope of success.

Elliott in GA

Equipment
LX 2610SU w/535,LP RCR1860,FDR1660,SGC0554,FSP500, DD BBX60005
Mar 10, 2021
North Georgia
If the numbers that have been reported in the court filings are even partially correct, a lawsuit would be pointless as the potential for any recovery approaches zero. It would appear that the secured creditors' claims far exceed the ability of any defendants to repay. Secured creditors are first in line for satisfaction.

Lawsuits in general and class actions suits in particular are expensive to pursue. Individuals could file suits in North Carolina Small Claims court (presuming their claim does not exceed the limit - 5-10K according to a quick search) for a nominal fee, but there still is no real probability of recovery.

The reality of the situation is patent from the fact the business ceased operation; there appears to be no restructuring/work out pathway.

Reactions: 1 user

GreensvilleJay

Equipment
BX23-S,57 A-C D-14,58 A-C D-14, 57 A-C D-14,tiller,cults,Millcreek 25G spreader,
Apr 2, 2019
While you won't get any money, filing and getting a conviction against the company's owner is a huge 'red flag' and could prevent him from getting any kind of business or personal loans.
Obviously laws vary where you live,but having any kind of 'judgement' against you is not good.

GreensvilleJay

Equipment
Apr 2, 2019
re: That company and owner would be judgement proof.
Why ?

Seems pretty obvious the contract was pay 100% up front and EA would deliver the item. Many (100s, 1000s,) did their part, paid in full, EA failed to honour the contract and deliver the items.
This is basic 'contract' law.... '4 corners' stuff that's easy to understand.
They'll get a favourable judgement though NO money as that'll all go to secured creditors and the lawyers.

fried1765

Equipment
Nov 14, 2019
Eastham, Ma
Why ?

Seems pretty obvious the contract was pay 100% up front and EA would deliver the item. Many (100s, 1000s,) did their part, paid in full, EA failed to honour the contract and deliver the items.
They'll get a favourable judgement though NO money as that'll all go to secured creditors and the lawyers.
"EA failed to honour the contract and deliver the items"
Not even close to the truth!
EA did fail to deliver at the very end, but THOUSANDS of HIGH quality items were delivered by EA over a period of years.
I am not attempting to defend EA, but let's get the facts straight.
Did you ever order any EA products for shipment to Ontario?

D2Cat

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L305DT, B7100HST, TG1860, TG1860D, L4240
Mar 27, 2014
40 miles south of Kansas City
Why ?

The small claims court judgement would be of no value because there are no funds to collect. Have you ever filed a small claims case and won? Winning is only a portion of the solution. In this case you would only win the satisfaction of winning, no money coming to you!! You're too far from the top.

GreensvilleJay

Equipment
Apr 2, 2019
It doesn't matter how many items they did deliver, it's the quantity that they did NOT deliver.
everyone KNOWS they won't get their money or product ) but getting a judgement against EA et al.. shows up when they go to a bank for a loan, or any other financial dealings.
THAT is why all who lost, should toss $100 into a small claims case. Heck, what's another 100 , when you've already lost 1,000s ?

fried1765

Equipment
Nov 14, 2019
Eastham, Ma
It doesn't matter how many items they did deliver, it's the quantity that they did NOT deliver.
everyone KNOWS they won't get their money or product ) but getting a judgement against EA et al.. shows up when they go to a bank for a loan, or any other financial dealings.
THAT is why all who lost, should toss $100 into a small claims case. Heck, what's another 100 , when you've already lost 1,000s ?
Since YOU have $100 bills to throw away, please throw them my way!
Better make that $125, ....since you are likely referencing CAD.