Box Blade for L3800

Bluegill

Equipment
L3750DT Shuttle, L3800DT FEL both
Jan 11, 2012
Success Missouri
I only scoop dirt when boxing forward. I do not use anything when pushing large amounts of stuff in reverse, it's not needed. The key when using the box is to for moving dirt around is to lower it just enough to engage, but have it high enough that when it really bites in it's loading the rear tires.
You're good then. :cool:

number9

Equipment
L3800HST, 4x4, LA524
Apr 25, 2013
KY
Got a call Monday that the BB was in, I was expecting the end of this week delivery. Went and picked it up yesterday and this thing is a brute. I don't think I could tear it up if I tried to. After getting a good in person look, I really like the behind the main beam shank mounting design. I thought it looked like a good idea in the ad pics, but in person it really makes sense, and it's built like a tank.

Didn't get any pics with it on the tractor, but even with my rears set all the way out combined with the 3" wheel spacers, it still covers my tracks by about 2" on each side. It's heavy and I can tell I am going to need some more weight on the front end if I use it on hill sides much - front end was really light playing around with it leveling out about a 10* hillside last night.

It's gonna take a little working with it to understand how to best put it to use, but I've got a LOT of work that's been waiting on it so there's not gonna be a lack of use time. The wait time was worth it for sure.

senecak19

Equipment
Dethatcher, Brush Forks, Land Plane
Jun 20, 2013
Western MA
That is one nice looking piece of equipment. Enjoy!

Question for the audience: Since I have the little brother (L3200) should I be looking at a 60"? Just wondering what the limitation factor is here. Understanding, it'd be nice to have one the width of the tractor, but I don't want to be over stepping my bounds with a 72" if the tractor isn't ready for it. At some point in time I'll be looking at these...

MtnViewRanch

Oct 10, 2012
Lakeside Ca.
senecak19, I believe that you would be fine with this box blade. You might need to pull a bit slower than the L3800, but you have the size to handle it.

Just my opinion. ;)

Bulldog

Equipment
M 9000 DTC, L 3000 DT
Mar 30, 2010
Rocky Face, Georgia
Question for the audience: Since I have the little brother (L3200) should I be looking at a 60"? Just wondering what the limitation factor is here. Understanding, it'd be nice to have one the width of the tractor, but I don't want to be over stepping my bounds with a 72" if the tractor isn't ready for it. At some point in time I'll be looking at these...
My L3000 has about the same hp and has a few more lbs but for the most part about the same tractor. I have a Bushhog BX650 5 1/2' box and when really moving dirt it's more than my tractor can handle without lifting. I don't lack hp as bad as lacking traction most of the time. Then again in the right soil conditions when the tires are getting a good bite I can run out of power.

That said, I agree with MtnViewRanch. In most cases you can handle a 6' but don't be shocked when you get a full load of dirt it will either spin out or lug down to the point you have to lift up and shed some of the load. You will have times that 6' is to big. JMHO :D

skeets

Equipment
BX 2360 /B2601
Oct 2, 2009
SW Pa
Some where I read a good rule of thumb is to stay as close to the width of your rear wheels as you can,,senecak19, I could be way off base here but I'm thinking that a 6 footer might be a tad on the large side for your little beastie

Eric McCarthy

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Kubota B6100E
Dec 21, 2009
Richmond Va
I dont understand why box blade manufactures decided to start putting the teeth on individual adjustments. My dad has a 30 year old Gill grading box and his teeth are retractable, soooo much nicer to raise and lower all the teeth at the same time and not one at a time.

Bluegill

Equipment
L3750DT Shuttle, L3800DT FEL both
Jan 11, 2012
Success Missouri
I dont understand why box blade manufactures decided to start putting the teeth on individual adjustments. My dad has a 30 year old Gill grading box and his teeth are retractable, soooo much nicer to raise and lower all the teeth at the same time and not one at a time.
Price is the reason and both types have been and still are made. My old cheap
box blade (individual teeth) is well over 20 years old, so this isn't something new.

What's with the extra wide photos. Have to scroll sideways to read the page.:mad:

MtnViewRanch

Oct 10, 2012
Lakeside Ca.
My L3000 has about the same hp and has a few more lbs but for the most part about the same tractor. I have a Bushhog BX650 5 1/2' box and when really moving dirt it's more than my tractor can handle without lifting. I don't lack hp as bad as lacking traction most of the time. Then again in the right soil conditions when the tires are getting a good bite I can run out of power.

That said, I agree with MtnViewRanch. In most cases you can handle a 6' but don't be shocked when you get a full load of dirt it will either spin out or lug down to the point you have to lift up and shed some of the load. You will have times that 6' is to big. JMHO :D
Just as a side note, I have an 81" wide 1000lb roll over box blade that I use behind my 75hp 12,000lb tractor. If conditions are right and I am not paying attention, it will stop the tractor, and I am not talking about with the rippers, just the cutting edge.

A lot of how the implement works has to do with the operator and their experience level. ;)

Attachments

Eric McCarthy

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Kubota B6100E
Dec 21, 2009
Richmond Va
Price is the reason and both types have been and still are made. My old cheap
box blade (individual teeth) is well over 20 years old, so this isn't something new.
Yeah I suppose your right, but all I've ever found on dealer lot was a box with individual teeth, hardly seen any retractable teeth unless its hydraulic. I recently saw here Landpride came out with a manual retractable box with a hinged back blade. Id love to get my hands on one of those little slices of heaven.

ipz2222

Equipment
L235, bx2670
May 30, 2009
chickamauga ga usa
number9 I modify allmost every thing I own. I can't see anything on that box blade that I would change.. Looks really good to me.