Box Blade for L3800

number9

Equipment
L3800HST, 4x4, LA524
Apr 25, 2013
KY
I am thinking I need to get a box blade to use behind my L3800. It is 4x4, HST and has FEL. I will be using the BB for hard packed gravel driveway maintenance (100yd long), dirt access road that runs back into the woods on my property (1 mile long maybe), cutting drainage ditches, and other general usage I find I can do with it.

Some of the dirt access road is rocky (plate, ball sized rocks), some of it is very rutted, some of it is very hard ground, some of it is softer ground (under the tree canopy).

I don't want to buy the cheapest BB that will work, I want to buy the right BB for the job and my tractor and I want to get a good HD one that's going to last and not get beat up.

Which brand is the best, HD built and what size should I be looking at?

BadDog

Equipment
B7100D TL and B2150D TLB
Jun 5, 2013
Phoenix, AZ
Can't speak to the size, but I would address the larger well bedded rocks individually if possible. Box blades aren't really meant to handle that, and it will damage/bend the blade. Looks like the PO of mine didn't know, or care, or maybe just multiple accidents, who knows. It's not the end of the world, and still quite functional, but it's had a rough life.

number9

Equipment
L3800HST, 4x4, LA524
Apr 25, 2013
KY
From what I've found so far, looks like the Bush Hog MBX-72 / Dirt Dog MBX720 or the Woods BSM72 are the heaviest built aside from a full on industrial hydro unit.

I haven't read much about the roll over models but will.

Bluegill

Equipment
L3750DT Shuttle, L3800DT FEL both
Jan 11, 2012
Success Missouri
I'm using a cheap 20+ year old 5' box blade with my L3800. I need to get a better one soon. I like 5' because it doesn't hang out past the rear tires, but a 6' would be nice on our mile long drive! Not sure of the size, but I will get a quality heavy duty one when I buy.

Stubbyie

Jul 1, 2010
Midcontinent
Your machine can easily handle a 6-ft box blade.

Big deeply rooted rocks need to be picked out individually. Consider renting a backhoe for a weekend. You'll need one large enough---small Kubotas proabably won't do it. Get up into the 40-hp-plus frame-mount type for the power you'll need and to maximize your 'use per dollar'.

After removing rocks use your BB to fix road.

Life will be better on your long road if you have hydraulic adjustment capabilities---top link and also one or both side 'angle-down' link hydraulic adjustments. This way you can more easily crown the road and maintain borrow ditches (created to furnish material to fill rock holes).

We've had good results using a reversible 6-way 3-point grader blade that also can swing offset to the side. Makes ditch maintence easier if you don't have to drive in ditch. After pulling material up from ditch and throwing it onto roadbed in one pass come back with BB and spread and dress the crown.

Please post back and advise how you proceed--and experiences--so we may all learn.

BadDog

Equipment
B7100D TL and B2150D TLB
Jun 5, 2013
Phoenix, AZ
A comment on the roll/tumble style.

Many years ago I had a bigger Gannon rigid box style behind an ancient MF farm tractor. It was sturdy and did the job, but with any uneven and inconsistent ground, I was constantly adjusting the darn thing trying to get it to do what I wanted. Seemed like it was either skating along not moving when dirt I wanted, or it was digging too deep and causing even more problems loosening up what I wanted to remain packed. Don't get me wrong, it worked and worked well, but my main memories are of having to constantly adjust it if you were not working something already very close to flat.

My little B7100 came with a tumbler box blade. I really thought it was almost a silly toy, but then again, that's a very small tractor, and mostly used on smaller properties (like mine), so I shrugged it off and figured it would certainly do what I needed. Then I used it on a side yard that was in very bad shape. Septic tank work, gophers being dug up by the dogs, lots of really uneven ground. That thing worked great! Position for moving dirt, and it doesn't move a lot due to small box, but does so quite well enough. 20 seconds to flip to spread mode and even everything out. I kid you not, I didn't time it, but the whole side yard was done in well under 30 minutes, closer to 15, and it's now the smoothest part of the entire yard. And much of that time was spent maneuvering the loader bucket on turns so I didn't knock over one of the walls. I'm a convert...

Last edited:

number9

Equipment
L3800HST, 4x4, LA524
Apr 25, 2013
KY
I got a price from my local dealer this morning.....

Bush Hog MBX72 $1125 (hinged rear gate)
640 #
Triple Strap lower link mounts
End Plates 3/8" with 1/2" added at wear points
Scarifier Box 4"x4"x3/8"
Scarifier Size 3/4"x2-1/2"
6 Scarifiers

Woods BSM72 $1075 (fixed) or $1200 (hinged)
680 # (confirmed by Woods Tech Support)
Double Strap lower link mounts
End Plates 1/2" with 1/4" added at wear points
Scarifier Box 4"x4"x1/4"
Scarifier Size 3/4"x2-1/2"
6 Scarifiers
The "L" plate that the scarifiers mount in & push against are 1/2" and the plates that the scarifier pins go through are 7ga

I had read in other older discussions that the weight Woods published was the shipping weight. In fact, there IS a .pdf that has 559# listed for this model, but their product brochure lists operating weight as 680#. The Tech Support confirmed that he seen the same discrepancy and looked up the shipping weight in their system and confirmed that the actual shipping weight is 777#.

***EDIT*** - Called Woods Tech Support and got info above in blue

Trying to find pics of the Woods, but can't find any good ones other than ad pics that really don't show down inside it very good. From what I can tell, the BSM series is made the same as the BSS series, but has thicker end plates with added wear points, thicker 1/4" mold board and optional floating gate.

Looking at pics of the Woods BSS series, I do like how the sacrificers mount on a plate behind the tube rather than through the tube like on all others I've seen.

Bush Hog MBX72 pics http://www.tractorhouse.com/listingsdetail/detail.aspx?OHID=6183671

Woods BSS72 pics http://www.tractorhouse.com/listingsdetail/detail.aspx?ohid=7125283

What do you guys think between these two?

Last edited:

Bluegill

Equipment
Jan 11, 2012
Success Missouri
They look about the same to me and I'm sure the quality is same.
I'd get the Woods just because it's heavier.

Have you looked at Land Pride yet? That's likely the one I'll get, dealer here has a good selection of LP stuff.

number9

Equipment
L3800HST, 4x4, LA524
Apr 25, 2013
KY
Yes, I've looked at the LP offerings and the specs don't show them to be built as heavy as these two - at least until you get into the hydro models and I don't have rear remotes on my tractor, so couldn't use them anyway.

The implements I have now are LP and I really like them. However, I will say that the RCR1260 has seen it's share of bends around the skirt of the deck and a large cresent wrench and hammer to get them out. Looking back, I should have bought a heavier RC and I don't want to make the same mistake this time buying a BB.

Bulldog

Equipment
M 9000 DTC, L 3000 DT
Mar 30, 2010
Rocky Face, Georgia
I have a Bushhog BX650 and have been using it for 14 years. I have spread, pulled or pushed about everything you can think of. I can't say that Bushhog makes the best out there but I can say that I'm 100% satisfied with mine. It has done everything I have needed it to do and never given any problems.
If I ever need another one I wouldn't hesitate to buy a Bushhog brand.

Bluegill

Equipment
Jan 11, 2012
Success Missouri
Yes, I've looked at the LP offerings and the specs don't show them to be built as heavy as these two - at least until you get into the hydro models and I don't have rear remotes on my tractor, so couldn't use them anyway.

The implements I have now are LP and I really like them. However, I will say that the RCR1260 has seen it's share of bends around the skirt of the deck and a large cresent wrench and hammer to get them out. Looking back, I should have bought a heavier RC and I don't want to make the same mistake this time buying a BB.

Well, then the Bushog or Woods either should be good for ya. I have beat the crap out of my LP RCR 1260 also. :)

number9

Equipment
L3800HST, 4x4, LA524
Apr 25, 2013
KY
I called and spoke to Woods Tech Support and got some missing info that I was unable to find on the web and edited post #9 with the new info in case anyone else finds this when researching like I am.

At this point I am really leaning to the Woods.

Eric McCarthy

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Kubota B6100E
Dec 21, 2009
Richmond Va
Either one will be just fine. Get one with a hinged back blade, makes fine grading and smoothing out alot nicer.

number9

Equipment
L3800HST, 4x4, LA524
Apr 25, 2013
KY
Called today and ordered the Woods BSM72 with floating gate in Kubota orange. Should be here in 7-10 days according to the salesman. I'm ready to put it to work, so it's gonna be a long wait. I'll post up pics when it gets here.

BotaDriver

Equipment
L3800dt
May 15, 2013
North GA
I just picked up a 6ft TSC blade and 6ft rake, both lightly used, for $800

The box is just over 500#, but I am going to add some type of weight adding setup to it so I can add/remove weight as needed. I've got about 15hrs of use on the box so far and I'm very pleased. It would be nice having a lever that drops all of the teeth at once, but considering the price for such a box, the minute it takes to drop the 6 teeth down one at a time isn't that bad.

I'll be finishing up my TNT install this week and that will make using the box that much easier. I'm not sure how so many people go about working their tractors w/ out the TNT. It really makes life that much easier....worth every penny (when piecing and installing yourself)

The L3800DT pulls the 6ft blade without much fuss. Using the box in reverse, one can move quite a bit of material. It helps to have the FEL loaded with several hundred pounds as well.

Bluegill

Equipment
Jan 11, 2012
Success Missouri
The L3800DT pulls the 6ft blade without much fuss. Using the box in reverse, one can move quite a bit of material. It helps to have the FEL loaded with several hundred pounds as well.
Be careful there! That puts a huge load on the front axle! Rear tires are wanting to slip and front tires doing most of the pushing.

BotaDriver

Equipment
L3800dt
May 15, 2013
North GA
Be careful there! That puts a huge load on the front axle! Rear tires are wanting to slip and front tires doing most of the pushing.
I only scoop dirt when boxing forward. I do not use anything when pushing large amounts of stuff in reverse, it's not needed. The key when using the box is to for moving dirt around is to lower it just enough to engage, but have it high enough that when it really bites in it's loading the rear tires.