Blue tooth ear buds. Which are best over all for noise reduction, music, and noise cancelling.

Henro

Equipment
B2910, BX2200, KX41-2V mini Ex., Beer fridge
May 24, 2019
North of Pittsburgh PA
Here's some information from Bose on how they use active and passive noise cancellation.

"Bose QuietComfort Ultra Earbuds utilize both passive and active noise reduction technologies. Passive noise reduction is similar to when you wear earplugs; there is a physical blockage preventing some of the sound from entering your ear. This is achieved through the earbud design with materials such as silicone eartips, and the acoustic seal created by having a proper fit.

For active noise cancellation, your earbuds use sophisticated proprietary electronics with microphones both inside and outside the earbuds. The electronics system senses the sound in almost any environment and then measures, compares, and reacts — instant by instant — to produce an opposing cancellation signal."
Could it be that Bose does not have the same technology as others? Perhaps the Apple technology takes things to a different level?

I don't have a clue and no horse in any race that might be involved.

BUT I think if I were to have the ability to design a system that protected the user, but still offer safety aspects, so that the user could hear sounds they would normally hear, if the dangerous noise were not present, I would design a system that attenuated all sounds that were loud enough to be dangerous, but let all other sounds that were at a lower level pass through, at least in one setting if ANC were not selected.

Really I have no clue what the reality is today. Just trying to understand more...

Reactions: 1 user

mcmxi

Lifetime Member

Equipment
***Current*** M6060HDC, MX6000HSTC & GL7000 ***Sold*** MX6000HST & BX25DLB
Feb 9, 2021
NW Montana
Could it be that Bose does not have the same technology as others? Perhaps the Apple technology takes things to a different level?

BUT I think if I were to have the ability to design a system that protected the user, but still offer safety aspects, so that the user could hear sounds they would normally hear, if the dangerous noise were not present, I would design a system that attenuated all sounds that were loud enough to be dangerous, but let all other sounds that were at a lower level pass through, at least in one setting if ANC were not selected.

Really I have no clue what the reality is today. Just trying to understand more...
I don't know anything about Apple products, but I do know that the Bose App has a number of listening modes including Aware Mode.

"Personalize almost everything to your liking in the app with Adjustable EQ, custom modes, and a shortcut you access right on the earbud."

Henro

Equipment
May 24, 2019
North of Pittsburgh PA
I don't know anything about Apple products, but I do know that the Bose App has a number of listening modes including Aware Mode.

"Personalize almost everything to your liking in the app with Adjustable EQ, custom modes, and a shortcut you access right on the earbud."
Seems like it is about the same. Technology advances quickly these days...almost seems like imagine what you would like today, and tomorrow it is available...

Reactions: 1 user

mikester

Equipment
M59 TLB
Oct 21, 2017
Canada
www.divergentstuff.ca

They are all pretty close performance wise. I'd personally stick with the bigger names like Bose/Sony/Apple for the ANC.

The reason why I haven't upgraded my 10 year old Bose is 1. they haven't broken yet, and 2. the new tech is just marginally or noticeably better than the old tech.

I want something durable and that can withstand moisture, dust, vibration, and getting knocked off my head from a branch while cutting the lawn. I also want them comfortable. I also don't want touch controls, give me physical buttons please.

Good battery life is important to me. My Bose give me 20+hours of use between charges. The new Sony's are 30+ hours. Airpods give you 3-4 hours between charges. That rules out airpods if I'm on a machine for 10-12 hours at a time.

Get whatever is most comfortable to you.

Henro

Equipment
May 24, 2019
North of Pittsburgh PA
Good battery life is important to me. My Bose give me 20+hours of use between charges. The new Sony's are 30+ hours. Airpods give you 3-4 hours between charges. That rules out airpods if I'm on a machine for 10-12 hours at a time.
Excellent point. Hopefully longer than four hours, but experience will tell. Especially since Apple is incorporating hearing aid assistance in the Airpods Pro, supposedly this fall.

Four hours for that function might be too short in most cases.

mikester

Equipment
M59 TLB
Oct 21, 2017
Canada
www.divergentstuff.ca
Excellent point. Hopefully longer than four hours, but experience will tell. Especially since Apple is incorporating hearing aid assistance in the Airpods Pro, supposedly this fall.

Four hours for that function might be too short in most cases.
People ask me why I don't use an apple watch. I ask them why I want a watch I have to tell it when I go to sleep and when I wake up in order to track my sleep habits. I also have to put it on a charger every 18 hrs. WTF. Factory reset and refund me please.

On the plus side I was able to track heart rate, steps and location for 6 months after returning the watch. So much for apple privacy and security.

mcmxi

Lifetime Member

Equipment
***Current*** M6060HDC, MX6000HSTC & GL7000 ***Sold*** MX6000HST & BX25DLB
Feb 9, 2021
NW Montana
This is a good point, but it shouldn't surprise anyone that earbuds with ANC and Bluetooth don't have a lot of real estate for a battery and therefore have less play time. That said, the Bose QuietComfort Ultra Earbuds have up to 6 hours of battery life which is more than enough for me running the MX during the winter months, and just about enough for summer months. The batteries charge from the case in 2 hours with the case providing three additional full charges.
bose_earbuds.jpg

My wired Bose earbuds last for a lot longer, but there's a lot more room for a larger battery within the "box" that's between the jack and earbuds.