Blue tooth ear buds. Which are best over all for noise reduction, music, and noise cancelling.

mcmxi

Lifetime Member

Equipment
***Current*** M6060HDC, MX6000HSTC & GL7000 ***Sold*** MX6000HST & BX25DLB
Feb 9, 2021
NW Montana
Don't start a pissing contest.

Blue tooth technology degrades audio quality. Ear buds can't possibly keep out noise like ear muff headphones do.

'Nuff said.
It's not a pissing contest, just facts. You clearly haven't kept up on the developments in noise cancelling technology but I've been exposed to it for the last 20 years since that's how long I've had and used noise cancelling ear protection devices. Why do you think pilots, firearms instructors, and so on use noise cancelling technology? Because it works.

Clearly you have no experience with noise cancelling earbuds but plenty of opinions surrounding them. What a shocker based on your 'which tractor should I buy" debacle.

Perhaps Isotunes and Bose are full of it and spend much of their time fighting hearing loss lawsuits.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user

Henro

Equipment
B2910, BX2200, KX41-2V mini Ex., Beer fridge
May 24, 2019
North of Pittsburgh PA
It's not a pissing contest, just facts. You clearly haven't kept up on the developments in noise cancelling technology but I've been exposed to it for the last 20 years since that's how long I've had and used noise cancelling ear protection devices. Why do you think pilots, firearms instructors, and so on use noise cancelling technology? Because it works.

Clearly you have no experience with noise cancelling earbuds but plenty of opinions surrounding them. What a shocker based on your 'which tractor should I buy" debacle.

Perhaps Isotunes and Bose are full of it and spend much of their time fighting hearing loss lawsuits.

Without getting into a pissing contest, I would like to hear what the positives are of noise cancelling ear buds, VS say simple ear plugs.

Specifically because I decided to buy the Apple Airpods pro 2, which have active noise cancellation, and I would like to have some user input as to whether they are functional or if it is just marketing hype.

mcmxi

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Feb 9, 2021
NW Montana
Without getting into a pissing contest, I would like to hear what the positives are of noise cancelling ear buds, VS say simple ear plugs.

Specifically because I decided to buy the Apple Airpods pro 2, which have active noise cancellation, and I would like to have some user input as to whether they are functional or if it is just marketing hype.
Simple ear plugs or ear muffs attempt to prevent sound pressure waves from reaching the ear drum, and that's all they do. How well they do it depends on a number or variables, and obviously they affect all frequencies, but some more than others. If noise reduction across the entire sound spectrum is your objective, and listening to music or talking on the phone aren't a requirement, a set of ear plugs is a good, cost-effective choice for sure.

A quality set of noise-cancelling earbuds should seal the ear canal like a simple pair of ear plugs, but also eliminate sound waves above a certain dB rather than simply trying to block all sound waves. In addition, some noise-cancelling devices can enhance sounds that are much quieter relative to the background noise.

There are lots of good resources that explain the technology behind active and passive noise-cancelling devices. For example this PC Magazine article.

"The basic concept of how active noise cancellation works is simple. Think of a sine wave on a graph, with the height of its arc in positive territory. Now, imagine the exact inverse of that, with its lowest point lining up with the peak of the positive sine wave. Just like adding 1 to -1 results in 0, these two waves cancel each other out. So if the waves represent audio signals, they essentially nullify each other, creating silence.

That's what ANC is. Microphones built into ANC headphones capture surrounding noises and audio processing circuitry then takes those noises and generates their inverse to cancel them out in real time."

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 users

Henro

Equipment
May 24, 2019
North of Pittsburgh PA
Simple ear plugs or ear muffs attempt to prevent sound pressure waves from reaching the ear drum, and that's all they do. How well they do it depends on a number or variables, and obviously they affect all frequencies, but some more than others. If noise reduction across the entire sound spectrum is your objective, and listening to music or talking on the phone aren't a requirement, a set of ear plugs is a good, cost-effective choice for sure.

A quality set of noise-cancelling earbuds should seal the ear canal like a simple pair of ear plugs, but also eliminate sound waves above a certain dB rather than simply trying to block all sound waves. In addition, some noise-cancelling devices can enhance sounds that are much quieter relative to the background noise.

There are lots of good resources that explain the technology behind active and passive noise-cancelling devices. For example this PC Magazine article.

"The basic concept of how active noise cancellation works is simple. Think of a sine wave on a graph, with the height of its arc in positive territory. Now, imagine the exact inverse of that, with its lowest point lining up with the peak of the positive sine wave. Just like adding 1 to -1 results in 0, these two waves cancel each other out. So if the waves represent audio signals, they essentially nullify each other, creating silence.

That's what ANC is. Microphones built into ANC headphones capture surrounding noises and audio processing circuitry then takes those noises and generates their inverse to cancel them out in real time."
Thank you for the thoughtful reply.

I decided to buy some Apple earbuds, I think that is what they call them, the pro version. Actually bought them for $200 on sale, but returned them, because my daughter could get them for 30 bucks cheaper on Amazon Prime Day. LOL. I don't need them quickly.

My motivation was to try out the hearing aid functionality that Apple is claiming to offer by the end of Fall. Maybe they will, maybe that will be delayed. But still, I think the active noise cancellation feature will be to my advantage.

Currently I use ear plugs. I don't find ear muffs enjoyable to use...Look forward to seeing how things go...Unfortunately, getting colder now and less need to use the tractors...until the snow comes I suppose.

edit: The air-pods do have active noise cancellation functionality. Just mentioning this in case anyone reads this in the future and does not realize this feature is there.

Last edited:

Moose7060

Equipment
M7060, L3902 HST, Farm King PT740, HLA 2500 Snowpusher, LandPride RCR1872
Oct 14, 2023
bc
All these earbuds and noise cancelling devices have me baffled. I can't even figure out how to connect my Iphone to the M7060 radio system, and it's been a damn year! Maybe I just need baffles. 😂

• Haha

johnjk

Lifetime Member

Equipment
B3200 w/loader, Woods RC5 brush hog, 4' box blade, tooth bar, B1700 MMM,
Apr 13, 2017
West Mansfield, OH
I went from over the ear corded Bose with noise cancellation to the Bose ear buds with noise cancellation. Excellent product. They fit well and cancel the noise great. My big concern was with comfort on long use. Did a 3 hr 45 min flight Saturday with no issues. Happy with my selection

mcmxi

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Feb 9, 2021
NW Montana
I went from over the ear corded Bose with noise cancellation to the Bose ear buds with noise cancellation. Excellent product. They fit well and cancel the noise great. My big concern was with comfort on long use. Did a 3 hr 45 min flight Saturday with no issues. Happy with my selection
We're all different of course, but I much prefer earbuds to over the ear, particularly when flying, and certainly when using the tractors. My ears and head get hot with over the ear hearing protection.

I have eight sets of noise-cancelling hearing protection including two from Bose, three from Isotunes and an older Sennheiser model.

I've had a pair of Bose QuietComfort 20 noise-cancelling earbuds since December of 2015 and still use them. They're wired so great for air travel or walking but not ideal for tractor work because of the wires. I tried the Isotunes Pro 2.0 earbuds and bought a couple of pairs but never really loved them. The fit, sound quality, noise cancellation and comfort just isn't there for me. The same goes for the Isotunes Link 2.0 which are on the heavy side and also not that comfortable due to the head strap.

The new Bose QuietComfort Ultra Earbuds are proving to be outstanding and I'm more than happy with this addition to accompany the other Bose earbuds. The sound quality and noise-cancelling of both Bose earbuds is excellent whether 35,000 ft in the air or in the cab of the MX.

Amazon can be really helpful when it comes to remembering when something was purchased. Turns out that I bought my first pair of noise cancelling headphones on December 13th, 2006. They were the Sennheiser PXC 300 and I used them until 2015.

Sennheiser PXC 300 (2).jpg

Last edited:

johnjk

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Apr 13, 2017
West Mansfield, OH
We're all different of course, but I much prefer earbuds to over the ear, particularly when flying, and certainly when using the tractors. My ears and head get hot with over the ear hearing protection.

I have eight sets of noise-cancelling hearing protection including two from Bose, three from Isotunes and an older Sennheiser model.

I've had a pair of Bose QuietComfort 20 noise-cancelling earbuds since December of 2015 and still use them. They're wired so great for air travel or walking but not ideal for tractor work because of the wires. I tried the Isotunes Pro 2.0 earbuds and bought a couple of pairs but never really loved them. The fit, sound quality, noise cancellation and comfort just isn't there for me. The same goes for the Isotunes Link 2.0 which are on the heavy side and also not that comfortable due to the head strap.

The new Bose QuietComfort Ultra Earbuds are proving to be outstanding and I'm more than happy with this addition to accompany the other Bose earbuds. The sound quality and noise-cancelling of both Bose earbuds is excellent whether 35,000 ft in the air or in the cab of the MX.
I tried the isotunes but they were DOA. Their support frankly sucked and did little to help so I returned them. Not impressed at all. I still have my over the ear Bose and used them up till I replaced my tablet and no bayonet jack. I have a pair of Sony noise cancelling OTE. But nowhere as good as the Bose but a fraction the price.

mcmxi

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Feb 9, 2021
NW Montana
I tried the isotunes but they were DOA. Their support frankly sucked and did little to help so I returned them. Not impressed at all. I still have my over the ear Bose and used them up till I replaced my tablet and no bayonet jack. I have a pair of Sony noise cancelling OTE. But nowhere as good as the Bose but a fraction the price.
Is there an adapter available for your Bose OTE to enable you to use them with your new tablet?

I had to replace my cell phone this year and "upgraded" from a Samsung S7 to a Samsung S23. I didn't think about the Bose QuietComfort 20 noise-cancelling earbuds being incompatible with the S23 and only realized this as I sat in my seat on a flight to Denver 😣. The Bose QC 20 use a 3.5mm jack which the S7 phone has. The S23 only has a USB-C input/output but I was able to order an Anker 3.5mm to USB-C adapter for the flight home.

johnjk

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Apr 13, 2017
West Mansfield, OH
Is there an adapter available for your Bose OTE to enable you to use them with your new tablet?

I had to replace my cell phone this year and "upgraded" from a Samsung S7 to a Samsung S23. I didn't think about the Bose QuietComfort 20 noise-cancelling earbuds being incompatible with the S23 and only realized this as I sat in my seat on a flight to Denver 😣. The Bose QC 20 use a 3.5mm jack which the S7 phone has. The S23 only has a USB-C input/output but I was able to order an Anker 3.5mm to USB-C adapter for the flight home.
Not that I’m aware of. They do make an OTE model that is Bluetooth. Lucky for me I upgraded my tablet well before my flight. No issues with the Apple adapter and the headphones but my tablet is Samsung. Way too many movies on my micro sd card to convert to Apple. The Bose ITE are as good as my OTE. I am not one to throw aside technology if it still can work but the corded OTE may head to the thrift store.

pgmrdan

Equipment
BX2380, L3902HST, Massey Harris Pony, Ford 3000, Bobcat 751 skid steer
Aug 16, 2017
USA
Never mind. Everyone here knows the answer to my question so I don't need to ask.

Last edited:

Henro

Equipment
May 24, 2019
North of Pittsburgh PA
Had my first opportunity to try the active noise cancellation feature of the Apple AirPods Pro 2, that I recently ordered.

Having probably around 35 years of experience, using normal hearing protection, which was mainly either earmuffs or earplugs, mostly earmuffs, in an industrial environment, I do have something to compare to historically.

I was actually totally amazed at how effective these things are. Much better than the foam earplugs that I’ve been using. And also better than the earmuff Style Hearing protection that I have used on the tractor occasionally, but I don’t like, because when it’s hot, I end up sweating under the pads.

Ran my BX 2200 at full throttle for a couple hours cutting grass today. I actually couldn’t hear the engine. What I did here was a slight hissing sound, almost like white noise, but very low volume. Other than that, I couldn’t believe how quiet the ride was!

One other thing that caught my attention was when I parked the tractor and throttled down before turning off the engine, I could hear the engine a little bit. I could hear it more than I could (actually didn’t) hear it when I was running full throttle. Also, when I turned the engine off, I could hear the death rattle of the engine shaking, which is common to my vintage BX and maybe to the newer ones too I’m not sure.

All in all, I’m impressed.

RCW

Lifetime Member

Equipment
BX2360, FEL, MMM, BX2750D snowblower. 1953 Minneapolis Moline ZAU
Apr 28, 2013
Chenango County, NY
This thread has been a learning experience for me.

I looked up some of the recommended devices early on. May have to look again.

Always learn interesting stuff on OTT. 😉

mikester

Equipment
M59 TLB
Oct 21, 2017
Canada
www.divergentstuff.ca

My experience with in-ear ANC headphones is they end up hurting after wearing them a while. I am currently using foam ear plugs with Bose over ear ANC headphones for comfort.

I have the 3M Peltor 31 NRR earmuffs (y)and have been considering trying something like the apple airpods undrneath

My biggest concern about apple products is the lack of moisture resistance and many reports of product failures just out of warranty. Other than replacing ear pads my Bose have lasted about 10 years now even though they have suffered a lot of abuse/dust/moisture. If I'm going to drop $400-500 on a product I want it to last.

3M has Peltors with ANC and mics but they only have an NRR of 27.

Isotunes are just earplugs with audio and lack ANC. I want ANC to reduce the motor sounds while operating equipment like mowers and tractors.

If you are trying to protect your hearing you want the best NRR rating. Most ANC headphones vendors don't provide NRR because they aren't considered safety equipment. The Peltors are.

Tinnitus sucks

Last edited:

mcmxi

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Feb 9, 2021
NW Montana
Isotunes are just earplugs with audio and lack ANC.

If you are trying to protect your hearing you want the best NRR rating. Most ANC headphones vendors don't provide NRR because they aren't considered safety equipment. The Peltors are.
Yes, you are correct that the Isotunes Pro 2.0 have a noise-isolating microphone but no ANC. The audio output is limited to 85dB.

The issue of no NRR with many ANC devices is in part tied to the OSHA requirements in the workplace. ANC can be a safety issue, not for an individual's level of hearing protection but rather due to their inability to hear sounds that might be informative of a dangerous situation. This is where the OSHA is reluctant to get involved. Many ANC devices will enhance sounds below a certain dB threshold so that the wearer is able to hear sounds that might be helpful or enhance safety.

Henro

Equipment
May 24, 2019
North of Pittsburgh PA
Many ANC devices will enhance sounds below a certain dB threshold so that the wearer is able to hear sounds that might be helpful or enhance safety.
Does this mean that sounds that are above that certain threshold would be reduced as low as possible, while sounds that are existing below the threshold level would be passing through the ANC device, and possibly even enhanced, so the person would be able to hear them even though the loud noises are suppressed?

Perhaps that is what the transparency mode with the Apple product does? I noticed in transparency mode the sound of my BX 2200 engine was greatly reduced, but I was hearing what I’m calling a white noise level. When I turned off transparency mode and selected noise cancellation, I believe it’s called, the engine noise was still practically nonexistent for all practical purposes, but the white noise level was reduced, and the net effect was a bit quieter experience.

mcmxi

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Feb 9, 2021
NW Montana
Does this mean that sounds that are above that certain threshold would be reduced as low as possible, while sounds that are existing below the threshold level would be passing through the ANC device, and possibly even enhanced, so the person would be able to hear them even though the loud noises are suppressed?
That's the idea, to cancel sounds that would damage the inner ear by generating an inverse soundwave, and to enhance sounds within a frequency range that could be beneficial. The Bose earbuds that I have do this. The Walker's ANC earmuffs I have do the same thing.

mikester

Equipment
M59 TLB
Oct 21, 2017
Canada
www.divergentstuff.ca

Perhaps that is what the transparency mode with the Apple product does? I noticed in transparency mode the sound of my BX 2200 engine was greatly reduced, but I was hearing what I’m calling a white noise level. When I turned off transparency mode and selected noise cancellation, I believe it’s called, the engine noise was still practically nonexistent for all practical purposes, but the white noise level was reduced, and the net effect was a bit quieter experience.

These guys post some frequency attenuation curves for various products. Remember that "Sound" is made up of multiple frequencies and ANC is only effective at "cancelling" which is really attenuating or reducing the amplitude or sound levels at certain frequencies.

Henro

Equipment
May 24, 2019
North of Pittsburgh PA
[snip]
Remember that "Sound" is made up of multiple frequencies and ANC is only effective at "cancelling" which is really attenuating or reducing the amplitude or sound levels at certain frequencies.
I get that, BUT, and it is a big but, some systems may now be smart enough to NOT attenuate sounds that are not loud enough to damage your hearing, while attenuating louder sounds that will over time damage one's hearing.

I think this might be what the "adaptive" or "transparency" options in the Apple software does. Other suppliers may offer the same thing...

Seems that in the ANC mode, nearly everything is attenuated.

mcmxi

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Feb 9, 2021
NW Montana
I get that, BUT, and it is a big but, some systems may now be smart enough to NOT attenuate sounds that are not loud enough to damage your hearing, while attenuating louder sounds that will over time damage one's hearing.

I think this might be what the "adaptive" or "transparency" options in the Apple software does. Other suppliers may offer the same thing...

Seems that in the ANC mode, nearly everything is attenuated.
Here's some information from Bose on how they use active and passive noise cancellation.

"Bose QuietComfort Ultra Earbuds utilize both passive and active noise reduction technologies. Passive noise reduction is similar to when you wear earplugs; there is a physical blockage preventing some of the sound from entering your ear. This is achieved through the earbud design with materials such as silicone eartips, and the acoustic seal created by having a proper fit.

For active noise cancellation, your earbuds use sophisticated proprietary electronics with microphones both inside and outside the earbuds. The electronics system senses the sound in almost any environment and then measures, compares, and reacts — instant by instant — to produce an opposing cancellation signal."