Backhoe fittings for 3rd function?

Mowbizz

Equipment
Bx25d
Aug 19, 2021
New Hampshire
Sure. I am not familiar with the specifics of your machine but if its like most you should have two hoses going to the hoe. One is the pressure supply from the tractor and one is the return from the hoe. Disconnect the supply hose going to the hoe and use a new hose and quick connector to connect that hose to the pump IN on the new valve. Then use another hose and quick coupler to connect the OUT on the valve to the hoe. Thats it. Your valve/ grapple will work with the hoe on the tractor. If you take the hoe off just loop the new hose going to the hoe into the return line like you have been doing.

Now before I get chastised this setup should really be using a valve with a power beyond port to feed the hoe and a separate tank return port hooked to the tractor. That plumbing is a little more involved but still easy to do. You just need to add a tee to the tank return line on the loader valve and use a third hose to hook the tank port on the new valve to it. Three hoses gives you a "real" third function and/or remotes.

If you buy a valve with more than one spool you use the same hookup and it gives you multiple remotes.

Dan
So, is a “spool” the same as a valve or diverter or just part of one? Thanks

TheOldHokie

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3901/LA525, B7200DT/B1630, G2160/RCK60, G2460/RCK60
Apr 6, 2021
Myersville, MD
windyridgefarm.us
So, is a “spool” the same as a valve or diverter or just part of one? Thanks
In this context a spool is the rod that slides in and out inside the body of the valve and directs the flow of oil. Each spool controls one function - e.g. your loasder valve has 2 spools - one for the bucket and one for the boom. The add-on valve in my picture has one spool for controlling the grapple. Here is a six spool valve - it would be plumbed just like a one spool valve but you probably don't want to go that far :rolleyes:

Dan

hydraulic-spool-valve-m100-1.2_1ef905aa-34ac-4069-9275-93da6ebfee97_568x568[1].jpg

Reactions: 1 user

Mowbizz

Equipment
Bx25d
Aug 19, 2021
New Hampshire
In this context a spool is the rod that slides in and out inside the body of the valve and directs the flow of oil. Each spool controls one function - e.g. your loasder valve has 2 spools - one for the bucket and one for the boom. The add-on valve in my picture has one spool for controlling the grapple. Here is a six spool valve - it would be plumbed just like a one spool valve but you probably don't want to go that far :rolleyes:

Dan

View attachment 76576
Thanks, now I know!😊

DustyRusty

Equipment
2020 BX23S, BX2822 Snowblower, Curtis Deluxe Cab,
Nov 8, 2015
North East CT
For the BX22 (2004) Kubota offered a valve and some fancy way to plumb it, but the problems were that the hoses came too close to the cooling fan on the hydro. I found that I could feed the valve with the backhoe lines, and all I had to do to complete the circuit was to add a return from the valve to the side of the hydro unit. It worked well until the valve failed, and I couldn't figure it out, so I removed the cab and the valve, etc., and dropped it off at the Kubota dealer service department telling them that I couldn't get the 3 point hitch to work properly. They tested it and determined that the problem was the pressure, and installed a shim to correct the pressure, and the 3 point hitch was repaired. When I got the tractor back, I reinstalled the cab and the valve and plumbing, only to find that the 3 point hitch stopped working again. Only then did I connect the dots that it was the failure of the valve that was causing me all the problems. I removed the valve and hoses and everything was well again. Had I hooked it up the way that Kubota recommended, it probably wouldn't have affected the 3 point hitch. The lesson that I learned, is that just because you can, doesn't mean that you should. That is why I purchased the LandPride 3rd function valve for my BX23S rather than going the "inexpensive" route as I had done with the BX22.
Part 1 of the saga... https://www.orangetractortalks.com/forums/threads/3-point-hitch-problem-on-a-bx22.38020/
Part 2 of the saga.... https://www.orangetractortalks.com/forums/threads/rear-remote-valve.43350/

If you are bound and determined to go this route, here is a BX7322 remote kit new in the box for you. The only thing that is missing is the hose kit, which you will not need since the hoses are a lot longer than you will be able to use. Good luck and if you should need some help, I am only a keyboard away. Just hope that you don't ask me the difficult questions, since it was about 15 years ago that I had done this, but I still have the skeletons in the garage. I hate to ever throw anything away. Don't believe me, then ask my wife!

Mowbizz

Equipment
Bx25d
Aug 19, 2021
New Hampshire
Lots of expertise/experience on here…thanks to all for explaining the 3rd function trials and errors. Looks like biting the bullet and getter by the proper equipment and connections is the smart way to go. Seems like trying to jury-rig things leads to future troubles if you are un-lucky! 😊

TheOldHokie

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Apr 6, 2021
Myersville, MD
windyridgefarm.us
Lots of expertise/experience on here…thanks to all for explaining the 3rd function trials and errors. Looks like biting the bullet and getter by the proper equipment and connections is the smart way to go. Seems like trying to jury-rig things leads to future troubles if you are un-lucky! 😊
More like a BB than a bullet.

Dan

TheOldHokie

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Apr 6, 2021
Myersville, MD
windyridgefarm.us

L4701CN

Equipment
L4701 with Backhoe
Apr 29, 2024
NC
No - thats a complete loader valve. This is all you need for third function. You akso need the power beyond conversion sleeve.

Dan
I appreciate that.
No - thats a complete loader valve. This is all you need for third function. You akso need the power beyond conversion sleeve.

Dan
I appreciate that. I'll get one on the way, with the conversion sleeve. So the conversion sleeve will go on the valve and the lines from the backhoe will just supply correct? Sorry for all the questions but I can't seem to find the info online. Thanks again

Russell King

Equipment
L185F, Modern Ag Competitor 4’ shredder, Rhino tiller, rear dirt scoop
Jun 17, 2012
Austin, Texas
You have to think of it as a continuous loop of pressure from the pump to three point (last valve in circuit normally). Each valve has to allow the pressure to pass through or the next valve won’t work properly. The power beyond sleeve opens that passsage for pressure to pass through.

TheOldHokie

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Apr 6, 2021
Myersville, MD
windyridgefarm.us
I appreciate that.

I appreciate that. I'll get one on the way, with the conversion sleeve. So the conversion sleeve will go on the valve and the lines from the backhoe will just supply correct? Sorry for all the questions but I can't seem to find the info online. Thanks again
Hey questions are why we are here!!
People that dont/wont ask questions either dont learn or they learn the hard way.

I will give you the exact plumbing hookup for your tractor but I need to make sure I know what you have. Its an l4901 with BH92 backhoe? Do you have any other rear remote valves on it? Based on your question I assume not but just double checking.

Dan

L4701CN

Equipment
L4701 with Backhoe
Apr 29, 2024
NC
Hey questions are why we are here!!
People that dont/wont ask questions either dont learn or they learn the hard way.

I will give you the exact plumbing hookup for your tractor but I need to make sure I know what you have. Its an l4901 with BH92 backhoe? Do you have any other rear remote valves on it? Based on your question I assume not but just double checking.

Dan
Yep, l4701 with BH92 backhoe. No other rear remotes, just the 2 connections for the hoe.

TheOldHokie

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Apr 6, 2021
Myersville, MD
windyridgefarm.us
Yep, l4701 with BH92 backhoe. No other rear remotes, just the 2 connections for the hoe.
OK - here we go.

This diagram should be your current loader and backhoe plumbing. The loader valve is supplied from the hydraulic outlet block under the right side footboard and the backhoe is fed from the power beyond port on the loader valve. I have drawn the loader valve showing the relative attachment locations for the three hoses. Before doing anything please confirm that this matches what is on your tractor.

LA525 with Backhoe.png

Here is the new plumbing with the 3rd function valve mounted to the side of the loader valve.
  1. The T port hose on the loader valve has been moved to the T port on the SIDE port of the 3rd function valve. You are probably going to need to use a longer hose to get it to reach.
  2. A new shorter hose has been used to connect the T port on the loader valve to the T port on the TOP of the 3rd function valve.
  3. The power beyond (PB) hose on the loader valve has been moved to the N port on the 3rd function valve. You should be able to reuse the existing hose.
  4. A new shorter hose has been used to connect the PB port on the loader valve to the P port on the 3rd function valve.

LA525 with 3rd Function and Backhoe.png

And finally an actual picture of my LA525 with a two spool valve and those connections. Notice the power beyond conversion sleeve has been screwed into the N port on the aux valve and and the hose is then connected to the sleeve. Its a pretty easy job and once you get the valve mounted the replumbing should only take about 30 minutes.

LA525 with third function and backhoe.jpg

L4701CN

Equipment
L4701 with Backhoe
Apr 29, 2024
NC
OK - here we go.

This diagram should be your current loader and backhoe plumbing. The loader valve is supplied from the hydraulic outlet block under the right side footboard and the backhoe is fed from the power beyond port on the loader valve. I have drawn the loader valve showing the relative attachment locations for the three hoses. Before doing anything please confirm that this matches what is on your tractor.

View attachment 127776

Here is the new plumbing with the 3rd function valve mounted to the side of the loader valve.
  1. The T port hose on the loader valve has been moved to the T port on the SIDE port of the 3rd function valve. You are probably going to need to use a longer hose to get it to reach.
  2. A new shorter hose has been used to connect the T port on the loader valve to the T port on the TOP of the 3rd function valve.
  3. The power beyond (PB) hose on the loader valve has been moved to the N port on the 3rd function valve. You should be able to reuse the existing hose.
  4. A new shorter hose has been used to connect the PB port on the loader valve to the P port on the 3rd function valve.

View attachment 127777

And finally an actual picture of my LA525 with a two spool valve and those connections. Notice the power beyond conversion sleeve has been screwed into the N port on the aux valve and and the hose is then connected to the sleeve. Its a pretty easy job and once you get the valve mounted the replumbing should only take about 30 minutes.

View attachment 127779
I really appreciate that. Im ordering the valve and conversion sleeve today. I do need the no detent valve correct.? Thanks again for your knowledge.

TheOldHokie

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Apr 6, 2021
Myersville, MD
windyridgefarm.us
I really appreciate that. Im ordering the valve and conversion sleeve today. I do need the no detent valve correct.? Thanks again for your knowledge.
For a grapple you would typically use a spring center valve that requires you to hold the hsndle to maintain flow ' e.g. open or close the grapple. When you let go the valve shuts off automatically.

Detent is a feature that locks the valve and allows you to remove your hand while still maintaining flow. You have to manuslly move the valve back to center to shut off flow. That would be useful for a hydraulic auger but not a grspple.

Dan

L4701CN

Equipment
L4701 with Backhoe
Apr 29, 2024
NC
Alright.. Im a truck driver and don't have a lot of free time, so I'm just getting to work on this. I'm not totally stupid but I have added some pics. Of my loader valve, 3rd function valve and hydraulic block. Could you possibly mark which one is which on the block and loader valve? I really appreciate all the help. I will post a pic once installed. Thanks again.

Attachments

TheOldHokie

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Apr 6, 2021
Myersville, MD
windyridgefarm.us
Alright.. Im a truck driver and don't have a lot of free time, so I'm just getting to work on this. I'm not totally stupid but I have added some pics. Of my loader valve, 3rd function valve and hydraulic block. Could you possibly mark which one is which on the block and loader valve? I really appreciate all the help. I will post a pic once installed. Thanks again.
Sorry for the tardy reply - dropped my phone while mowing and have been trying to find it No luck :devilish:

You don't need to touch anything on the outlet block.

Here are the two hoses on the loader valve that you need to reroute.

Untitled.png

Here are the connections on your 3rd function valve

Untitled.png