B2601 Tiller ?

Colb56

Equipment
Kubota B2601
Mar 5, 2024
PA
Hi all,

Question... I have the B2601 and just finished using a single moldboard plow which did a great job. I want to use a older Kubota FS 1000 48" tiller which my son in law gave me.

My question is ( I searched and found nothing) Is this safe to use on this tractor ? The reason I ask is because I have heard a bunch of horror stories of messed up PTO shafts, gears etc which cost a bunch of money to get fixed. Guess it has to do with the length of the shaft. This FS1000 I noticed has (not sure what it's called) a sliding shaft with the PTO hook up on one end.

If this is OK to use is there anything I should be aware of like things not to do ? IE: ?? running the PTO with it raised, I have to look at the owners manal to get acquainted with the PTO and how to use it.
Any suggestions, tips, etc would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks.

Col56

Velma

Equipment
B2301, FDR1660, RB1560, SGC0554, Pats QH, CMP Dethatcher
May 12, 2022
MI
As long as the PTO shaft is the correct length and the slipper clutch is present and confirmed to be working/adjusted it should be 100% OK to use.

lots of you tube videos on checking changing PTO length and how to spin the clutch.

Colb56

Equipment
Kubota B2601
Mar 5, 2024
PA
As long as the PTO shaft is the correct length and the slipper clutch is present and confirmed to be working/adjusted it should be 100% OK to use.

lots of you tube videos on checking changing PTO length and how to spin the clutch.
I brought it home and am afraid I can't use it. I hooked it up toothe 3 point and it is cray crooked. The top ling goes one way and the PTO shaft goes the other. They almos form a X I have tried every way to adjust it but am really concerned about the top link being some 4 inches off center. I'm scared it will hurt the tractor PTO and break or bid something. I think I'm going to go the disc/harrow route. Much quicker and less $$$. Not as nice but all the old timers around me and the Amish use these and ya couldn't find one that uses a tiller.

Russell King

Equipment
L185F, Modern Ag Competitor 4’ shredder, Rhino tiller, rear dirt scoop
Jun 17, 2012
Austin, Texas
I brought it home and am afraid I can't use it. I hooked it up toothe 3 point and it is cray crooked. The top ling goes one way and the PTO shaft goes the other. They almos form a X I have tried every way to adjust it but am really concerned about the top link being some 4 inches off center. I'm scared it will hurt the tractor PTO and break or bid something. I think I'm going to go the disc/harrow route. Much quicker and less $$$. Not as nice but all the old timers around me and the Amish use these and ya couldn't find one that uses a tiller.
That really makes no sense. The implement should be directly behind the pto shaft and the upper top link is directly above the pto output shaft.

Will you post some pictures of the tiller on the tractor?

Reactions: 1 user

GreensvilleJay

Equipment
BX23-S,57 A-C D-14,58 A-C D-14, 57 A-C D-14,tiller,cults,Millcreek 25G spreader,
Apr 2, 2019
Greensville,Ontario,Canada
yes, need to see 2-3 pictures ! I went to Messicks to see diagrams, thinking it might be 'side shift' capable, but looks like a 'normal' fixed tiller. Google has pictures of them.....
Perhaps someone's 'modified' it ??

Colb56

Equipment
Kubota B2601
Mar 5, 2024
PA
That really makes no sense. The implement should be directly behind the pto shaft and the upper top link is directly above the pto output shaft.

Will you post some pictures of the tiller on the tractor?
I am going to try and post a few pictures I took but can't remember how..try to find howi did ita few months back. I can't to hear your 2 opinions...hopefully I didn't make a error. This is my first time hooking up something like this. I did hook up the moldboard plow nd it looked good.

Colb56

Equipment
Kubota B2601
Mar 5, 2024
PA
GreensvilleJay and Russell King,

Here are the 2 pictures I had taken before I took it back. The unit is hooked up. As you can see the top link is way off center. It's my thinking that where it is welded tothe frame of the tiller that it should be in the center. The hook up standing behgind the tractor is way left. This throws the whole unit off. I stood behindit and with some effort moved the back of the tiller to the left but it would only go so far because the 2 arms of the 3 point would not let it go to far even though I oulled the pins out of the lower adjustment arms.

Am I missing something ?

GreensvilleJay

Equipment
BX23-S,57 A-C D-14,58 A-C D-14, 57 A-C D-14,tiller,cults,Millcreek 25G spreader,
Apr 2, 2019
wider angle, side view picture will help.
I'm thinking the top link may be too long ? Really hard to tell
Those front wheels confuse me too...
Have to look at Messiks to see a drawing, back in a bit.....

Colb56

Equipment
Kubota B2601
Mar 5, 2024
PA
wider angle, side view picture will help.
I'm thinking the top link may be too long ? Really hard to tell
Those front wheels confuse me too...
Have to look at Messiks to see a drawing, back in a bit.....
Those are the only 2 pictures I had I tried to shorten the top link and the only thing that did was lower and raise the unit. It was still twisted so to speak. The top link is far from the center of the tiller which throws the whole thing off

GreensvilleJay

Equipment
Apr 2, 2019
hmm.. I would think that the right lower link pin is mounted wrong. According to the drawing the left one is inside, so the right one should also be facing inside

you have

frame...pin---> space frame..pin--->

i think

frame...pin---> space <---pin...frame

is correct.

As you have it now, it will 'skew' or 'twist' the tiller relative to the tractor
My way, things should line up straight.

It might have been someone's attempt to 'offset' the tiller, to till the tire tread ?

A couple wrenches, 15 minutes will prove I'm right or wrong.....

Colb56

Equipment
Kubota B2601
Mar 5, 2024
PA
hmm.. I would think that the right lower link pin is mounted wrong. According to the drawing the left one is inside, so the right one should also be facing inside

you have

frame...pin---> space frame..pin--->

i think

frame...pin---> space <---pin...frame

is correct.

As you have it now, it will 'skew' or 'twist' the tiller relative to the tractor
My way, things should line up straight.

It might have been someone's attempt to 'offset' the tiller, to till the tire tread ?

A couple wrenches, 15 minutes will prove I'm right or wrong.....
Yo know I saw that and thougt of all the implements I had looked at I never saw one pin on the inside and one in the outside.

I also gave some thought the was it was canted maybe it was a offset but my 2 lower control arms would not let me adjust it

rc51stierhoff

Equipment
B2650, MX6000, (BX sold)
Sep 13, 2021
Ohio
GreensvilleJay and Russell King,

Here are the 2 pictures I had taken before I took it back. The unit is hooked up. As you can see the top link is way off center. It's my thinking that where it is welded tothe frame of the tiller that it should be in the center. The hook up standing behgind the tractor is way left. This throws the whole unit off. I stood behindit and with some effort moved the back of the tiller to the left but it would only go so far because the 2 arms of the 3 point would not let it go to far even though I oulled the pins out of the lower adjustment arms.

Am I missing something ?
It’s hard to say from the pics (for me), but it sort of looks like:

1. The 3pt on the implement side has an offset built in and it looks like tried to hook up centered on the tractor.

2. Sort of looks like your link arms are not level to each other, but tough to tell from the pic. Sort of looks like the RH link arm is adjusted shorter(height from turnbuckle) than the LHS.

as mounted it does look odd…not sure if any of the above is really correct or just how pic angle appears?

Colb56

Equipment
Kubota B2601
Mar 5, 2024
PA
It’s hard to say from the pics (for me), but it sort of looks like:

1. The 3pt on the implement side has an offset built in and it looks like tried to hook up centered on the tractor.

2. Sort of looks like your link arms are not level to each other, but tough to tell from the pic. Sort of looks like the RH link arm is adjusted shorter(height from turnbuckle) than the LHS.

as mounted it does look odd…not sure if any of the above is really correct or just how pic angle appears?
You are correct the tun-buckle is all the way screwed I. That was my last and final attempt to try and adjust it. I should have screwed it all the way out before I Took the picture. In or out didn’t make much of a difference

GreensvilleJay

Equipment
Apr 2, 2019
Maybe it helps line up the top link and PTO shaft to be 'centered'.

I was curious about it (left vs right )
It'd really be nice if someone had the owners manual for it !

Colb56

Equipment
Kubota B2601
Mar 5, 2024
PA
Maybe it helps line up the top link and PTO shaft to be 'centered'.

I was curious about it (left vs right )
It'd really be nice if someone had the owners manual for it !
I thought the same thing and was going to buy one but at $25.00 and its not mine I figured the heck with it