B1502 - Coolant Overflow and Stop-Knob

vauxhall

Equipment
B1502DT
Mar 6, 2019
Germany
Hey folks,

hailing from Germany with a -uh- brand new B1502DT under my buttocks. Actually I'm not quite sure which may be the cross reference model in the States or elsewhere. Equipped with the D850 engine it's running quite smoothly. I was just wondering about two things:

- there is no coolant overflow installed, the outlet right below the rad cap is just pointing eastwards with no tube attached. Any thoughts on this?

- the engine stop-knob has been removed (intentionally). Typically I would shut off by pulling the decompression-knob. Can someone please comment on this, too?

Nothing of this deeply concerns me. But being new to the business I'd love to hear your 2 cents.

Thanks for all the valuable stuff I could already gather.
Tom

85Hokie

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
BX-25D ,PTB. Under Armor, '90&'92-B7100HST's, '06 BX1850 FEL
Jul 13, 2013
Bedford - VA
Hey folks,

hailing from Germany with a -uh- brand new B1502DT under my buttocks. Actually I'm not quite sure which may be the cross reference model in the States or elsewhere. Equipped with the D850 engine it's running quite smoothly. I was just wondering about two things:

- there is no coolant overflow installed, the outlet right below the rad cap is just pointing eastwards with no tube attached. Any thoughts on this?

- the engine stop-knob has been removed (intentionally). Typically I would shut off by pulling the decompression-knob. Can someone please comment on this, too?

Nothing of this deeply concerns me. But being new to the business I'd love to hear your 2 cents.

Thanks for all the valuable stuff I could already gather.
Tom
1st - glad to have ya here!:D

ON the overflow tube - get cha piece of clear or black plastic tubing and either catch it in a homemade container, or allow the tube to vent straight down along side the frame. IF the cap is not designed to pull fluid back in......you will need to get a cap that will - otherwise just vent to outside via tube.

On the stop - knob.......really is a BAD IDEA to stop an engine with the decompression knob.....it was designed to allow a faster spin rate when starting......pulling it out as you turn the key.....and pushing back in when she starts to spin fast.

You should always use the "key - stop solenoid" or the pump lever to kill the engine.

Your throttle is on the right side of the bonnet? Push away to increase RPM and pull towards to lower and or stop engine?

shootem604

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L245DT with Kubota (Arps Model 22) FEL and Kubota B/L4520B (Woods 650) BH
Apr 23, 2018
British Columbia
If you are ever going to need to start it in the cold, I'd suggest reinstalling the decompression lever. Its for starting anyways, not for stopping.

North Idaho Wolfman

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3450DT-GST, Woods FEL, B7100 HSD, FEL, 60" SB, 743 Bobcat with V2203, and more
Jun 9, 2013
Sandpoint, ID
Do not connect anything to the radiator overflow, that design of a system does not allow it to suck fluid back in like a normal radiator setup.

With that setup it's important to stay on top of checking fluids and cleaning any debri off of the front of the radiator before use.

Like others have said it's not good to use the decompression control to stop the engine.

There were commonly three types of systems used for shutting off these engines:

One type was built right into the throttle, you simply pulled the throttle back to idle and then past it into a spring detent and the fuel was cut via the throttle linkage.

Another type was a separate stop rod that went to the side of the injection pump and cut the fuel via the injection pump linkage.

The third type was a stop solenoid that was engaged / disengaged (depending on the model) that cut the fuel when the key was turned off.

So if it's supposed to have a stop rod, get one or make one and use it.

vauxhall

Equipment
B1502DT
Mar 6, 2019
Germany
Thanks so far guys :)

I think this baby has gone through a couple of hands after being imported. Someone must have had something in mind (or no bucks for a decent repair) to get rid off the stop knob plus lever to the injection pump. Will post pics of the engine bay and throttle soon.

I understand that an overflow tank is not an expansion tank, but which of them is the original D850 design? And I could fix it with a suction rad cap?

Thanks and take care!

vauxhall

Equipment
B1502DT
Mar 6, 2019
Germany
... There were commonly three types of systems used for shutting off these engines:

One type was built right into the throttle, you simply pulled the throttle back to idle and then past it into a spring detent and the fuel was cut via the throttle linkage ...
You made my day. I wasn‘t aware of that option because all the manuals I stumbled across referred to either the rod or the solenoid version. My dealer obviously didn‘t know either, he‘s more into Isekis. So finally I found a little unmarked lever right below the hand throttle which tucks away under the dashboard canopy and connects to the throttle mechanism. Sadly enough the battery is down and have to wait until tomorrow to give it a try.

Thanks!!

Lil Foot

Lifetime Member

Equipment
1979 B7100DT Gear, Nissan Hanix N150-2 Excavator
May 19, 2011
Peoria, AZ
So finally I found a little unmarked lever right below the hand throttle which tucks away under the dashboard canopy and connects to the throttle mechanism.
Anything like this:

Attachments

Last edited: