Attachment for mowing a pond waterline....

number9

Equipment
L3800HST, 4x4, LA524
Apr 25, 2013
KY
Guys, I have an idea about a contraption to mow the water edge of my pond bank with.

Something on the 3pt like a carryall or pallet forks, but with a frame of square tubing that extends out to the sides of the tractor XX Feet. Attach a push mower deck on one side and counter weight on the other side. This would allow driving along the water edge 2 or 3 feet up on the bank and mow the grass right at the water line.

Was thinking that I could use differnet size of tubing and drill holes and use a pin to allow sliding the mower / weight in and out for adjustment. Also, this would allow to switch sides with the mower if needed - or also to collapse to narrowest width for storage while it wasn't being used.

I don't need some big elaborate contraption, as it would only get used maybe every other mowing or even if it was every mowing, it would only be a max of maybe 10min use each time. Plus, a used push mower should be able to be found cheap.

What do you guys think?

Here's a crude sketch of what I am thinking of.....

MagKarl

Equipment
L245DT
Aug 2, 2010
Olympia, WA
If it were me, I'd dumb it down to just the basics and see how it works. Like attach something like a pipe scrap to act as a side reaching boom onto an existing implement like a blade, and then run two chains off of the boom end to the front of a push mower deck. Let the mower roll and get pulled along. Take pics and video if you can.

hodge

Lifetime Member

Equipment
John Deere 790 John Deere 310 backhoe Bobcat 743
Nov 19, 2010
Love, VA
If it were me, I'd dumb it down to just the basics and see how it works. Like attach something like a pipe scrap to act as a side reaching boom onto an existing implement like a blade, and then run two chains off of the boom end to the front of a push mower deck. Let the mower roll and get pulled along. Take pics and video if you can.
If I understand the need, a rolling mower won't work- it sounds like he wants to get right to the edge, so the mower needs to be suspended out of the schmuck and water.
If you are using a push mower deck, I doubt that you would need counterweight. The 3 point would definitely handle that kind of weight suspended to the side, depending on what type of frame you come up with. That could easily weigh more than the mower.
I would think simple, too. Maybe even consider a frame to hold a rolling string trimmer, or have an small engine in the center of the frame, with a string head driven on the side by belt.

number9

Equipment
L3800HST, 4x4, LA524
Apr 25, 2013
KY
I would want the deck to hang out over the waterline to be able to cut it all, so I can't drag it along on it's wheels :(

Kubota Newbie

Equipment
M4500, New Idea Cut-Ditioner, JD 14T Baler, IH "Plow Chief" plows, Oliver Rake
Dec 28, 2010
Mount Vernon, Ohio
String trimmer???
If you really wanted you could build a belt driven string trimmer head like DR style walk behind trimmers.
You could also just spray the broadleaf weeds/woody's with Garlon 3A and let the grass grow.

Aw heck, someone already had the string trimmer idea! Always a day late and dollar short.

ipz2222

Equipment
L235, bx2670
May 30, 2009
chickamauga ga usa
You would have to come up with this idea today. I just hauled off 3lawnmower engines this am with my shop scrap. I like the idea, Yes , it would work . My wife does most of the mowing and she has to use the push mower on the pond edges in the front yard.

stuart

Lifetime Member

Equipment
B7001 with loader & tiller, 3 point hitch and 4' rear blade
Aug 9, 2009
Aldergrove, BC, Canada
I would suggest going supercheap on the prototype. Before you fabricate a mount, just attach a push gas mower to the end of a 4' rear blade, handle facing to the centre of the 3 point, and a suitcase weight on the other end of the blade for balance.
You have your up/down control, and most back blades have a tilt to get the angle close, the adjust the lift link to get it perfect.
If you like it, the mower handle is the raw material for a proper mount.

Burtonbr

Lifetime Member

Equipment
2012 B2620, LA364 FEL,rear remotes,grapple pallet forks, many other toys.
Nov 11, 2012
NC

m32825

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3800HST
Jul 12, 2013
Central FL
I would want the deck to hang out over the waterline to be able to cut it all, so I can't drag it along on it's wheels :(

How about replacing wheels with pontoons? Then it could float on the water and skid across the top of the muck, etc...

-- Carl

ipz2222

Equipment
L235, bx2670
May 30, 2009
chickamauga ga usa
OK, 3 hours later and I have it built. Allmost. Just need 1 piece of round solid bar. Can pick it up in the am. Used a 22 inch push mower. It can mount either side for blowing the grass in the pond (I have 2 three foot grass carp, they vacumn it off the top), or mount the other side for throwing the grass away from the pond. Only have to tighten 2 nuts and it hooks up to my 3ph quick hitch. Pictures tomorrow, maybe.

Eric McCarthy

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Kubota B6100E
Dec 21, 2009
Richmond Va
Seems to me you'd have to creep along real real slow with a push mower mounted to a tractor. As all of us know push mowers do not work well at a fast speed, espically in the thick stuff.

number9

Equipment
L3800HST, 4x4, LA524
Apr 25, 2013
KY
Here's a couple pics of what I have to mow. It's mostly just the weeds I can't reach on the tractor. I don't want to spend $$$ on something to do this with, like was mentioned before, it'd only be about a 10min job each time I mow. I think it would work really good and plan to build one. It may not be right away as I've got rear remotes and TnT to install and that's gonna take a bit of mockup and fitting.