2017 Chevy Silverado A/C

DustyRusty

Equipment
2020 BX23S, BX2822 Snowblower, Curtis Deluxe Cab,
Nov 8, 2015
North East CT
I have the Ecoboost in my 2019 Ford Platinum, which is a good engine. I don't know how well it is in the truck. I see a lot of 1,2, & and 3-year-old used trucks on the dealer's lot, and while it isn't a huge savings buying used, it is an option. I bought my '19 used in 22 with 19K on it and an extended warranty from Two Rivers Ford in Tennessee for an additional $2200 which covers the car for 8 years and 100,000 miles. The warranty would have been a couple hundred less if I chose the $100 deductible, but from experience, you pay it upfront with no deductible or each time it goes in for anything under warranty. The only repairs that I have had were with the entertainment system. A module failed and the antenna failed.

RCW

Lifetime Member

Equipment
BX2360, FEL, MMM, BX2750D snowblower. 1953 Minneapolis Moline ZAU
Apr 28, 2013
Chenango County, NY
I’ve had 6 of these Silverados since 1997. All red, new, and kept them 5-6 years. Northeast winters are tough on vehicles.

Had great luck with them.

This one is 7 years this month.
Wife’s car is also about 7 years old.

As we all know, the market has been funky for the last few years. Haven’t been eager to dive in.

RCW

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Apr 28, 2013
Chenango County, NY
Did some more internet research.

2014-2019 noted for condenser failure. Thought series was 2014-2017, but maybe condenser overlapped into next series and 2019? Couple tack welds hold condenser to tank - - big bumps can cause welds to crack/leak.

Blend door actuator also common problem for a couple series.

Looks like a real treat to get to. Not sure I can fit under the dash to get to it. :oops:

Not too proud to say it's beyond my expertise and ability......wish one of you smart guys lived close by...

Appreciate all the help and guidance.

Heck, I haven't figured out how to save a radio station. ;)

Last edited:

chim

Equipment
L4240HSTC with FEL, Ford 1210
Jan 19, 2013
Near Lancaster, PA, USA
We were planning on a new vehicle when the pandemic / chips created the price surge. Now prices seem to be softening somewhat and we might start re-looking for an SUV.

Reactions: 1 user

Ktrim

Equipment
B2400, lA352 loader,3pth quick hitch/z122r zero turn/restored 52 farmall super a
Dec 23, 2020
Nazareth Pa
Did some more internet research.

2014-2019 noted for condenser failure. Thought series was 2014-2017, but maybe condenser overlapped into next series and 2019? Couple tack welds hold condenser to tank - - big bumps can cause welds to crack/leak.

Blend door actuator also common problem for a couple series.

Looks like a real treat to get to. Not sure I can fit under the dash to get to it. :oops:

Not too proud to say it's beyond my expertise and ability......wish one of you smart guys lived close by...

Appreciate all the help and guidance.

Heck, I haven't figured out how to save a radio station. ;)
Failed condenser would be a leak. Compressor wouldn't be running, cutoff switch, and you say line is cold.
Blend door actuator. Find it, put your hand on it and adjust temp. See I'd you can feel it running.

RCW

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Apr 28, 2013
Chenango County, NY
Failed condenser would be a leak. Compressor wouldn't be running, cutoff switch, and you say line is cold.
Blend door actuator. Find it, put your hand on it and adjust temp. See I'd you can feel it running.
My thought as well.

Like I said, I’m not sure if I can physically get into the middle of the dash to get to it.

Wish I had put the IR thermometer on the line…. Wasn’t 40 degrees, but maybe 50+ or so?!? Was covered with condensation.

Ktrim

Equipment
B2400, lA352 loader,3pth quick hitch/z122r zero turn/restored 52 farmall super a
Dec 23, 2020
Nazareth Pa
My thought as well.

Like I said, I’m not sure if I can physically get into the middle of the dash to get to it.

Wish I had put the IR thermometer on the line…. Wasn’t 40 degrees, but maybe 50+ or so?!? Was covered with condensation.
If it's cold and condensating you should have cold air. On that you may have to remove center dash. Climate control ,radio. Not sure. Don't have one to look at.

Ktrim

Equipment
Dec 23, 2020
Nazareth Pa
Is it manual air or auto dual control. Driver and pass separate.

Torinodan

Equipment
T1600, G4200, G5200, Ford 2810, 1974 Wheel Horse C100
Oct 14, 2021
Fayetteville GA
If it's cold and condensating you should have cold air. On that you may have to remove center dash. Climate control ,radio. Not sure. Don't have one to look at.
Glove box and upper storage. They packed it in there behind a bunch of other modules.
This brings up a good point if dual climate control. Is it not cooling on just one side? Both would be the main blend door.
Because of the variable displacement pump the suction will not always be frosty. It's on demand depending on what the control thinks you need. Max cold, full fan, and vent settings only to get it to its coldest temp.

Harbor Freight has a cheap set of gauges and black lights.
Also, the high side port is the one time use rubber plug port that will leak. Slowly open till you just read pressure. Normal Schrader valves are available to replace it.

Last edited:

RCW

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Apr 28, 2013
Chenango County, NY
I have not put gauges on it as I don’t have them.

It is the dual control, and honestly I didn’t think of checking the passenger side. Might have reached over to right side once while driving and seems like it was same as left side.

Great suggestion.

Last edited:

Ktrim

Equipment
Dec 23, 2020
Nazareth Pa
Auto zone or advance loaner tool.

BBFarmer

Equipment
L3560HSTC-LE, L3301
Jul 12, 2024
Southeastern MS
I have not put gauges on it as I don’t have them.

It is the dual control, and honestly I didn’t think of checking the passenger side. Might have reached over to right side once while driving and seems like it was same as left side.

Great suggestion.
If she is in fact low on freon, Look through your grille on the driverside. Just where the dryer attaches to the condenser you will most likely see an oily, discolored spot. I bet we get damn near one a week on the 14+ 1500s with a leaking condenser. All in the exact same spot. Extremely common.

Reactions: 1 users