Home made land plane

torch

Equipment
B7100HSD, B2789, B2550, B4672, 48" cultivator, homemade FEL and Cab
Jun 10, 2016
Muskoka, Ont.
Sure. But I would add a replaceable wear strip to the bottom of each one.

And for those that are stamping his card, he's now up to 4. Does he get a free question when he fills the card?

animals45

Equipment
L3301l
Apr 22, 2021
Mabie CA
SO does that mean I have to keep track of my card ? Wait a minute , does that count as a question ?
animals45

Ridelght

Lifetime Member

Equipment
2022 Kubota L4060 Polaris Rangerxp800 Ford 3400
Feb 16, 2022
Ohio
Sure. But I would add a replaceable wear strip to the bottom of each one.

And for those that are stamping his card, he's now up to 4. Does he get a free question when he fills the card?
Lol

North Idaho Wolfman

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3450DT-GST, Woods FEL, B7100 HSD, FEL, 60" SB, 743 Bobcat with V2203, and more
Jun 9, 2013
Sandpoint, ID
Yes keep trak of your card because we sure as heck won't be able to!

My Land plane is made out of trailer house frames, and I've yet to see any wear after many years of faithful service.

Reactions: 1 user

torch

Equipment
Jun 10, 2016
Muskoka, Ont.
My Land plane is made out of trailer house frames, and I've yet to see any wear after many years of faithful service.
I suppose that is dependent on the material being levelled. My drive is crushed granite. It's like dragging it over coarse sandpaper.

Your Mileage May Vary -- in this case, quite literally! :ROFLMAO:

HeartFixr

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Kubota L3301, Land Pride BB1260 box blade, Land Pride QH15 Quick Hitch
Oct 5, 2024
Hickory NC
Good afternoon. I am quite interested in this topic since I want to smooth out my yard. I have a L3301 and Land Pride BB1260 box blade. I want to modify the box blade by attaching 3-inch angle iron to the inside with bolts and then weld two pieces of 3 inch angle steel at 10 degree angle. I think that the weight of the box blade will be sufficient and by bolting it to the box blade sides, it will be removable. It will be used to spread municipal compost to smooth out the yard. Any thougths?

torch

Equipment
Jun 10, 2016
Muskoka, Ont.
Good afternoon. I am quite interested in this topic since I want to smooth out my yard. I have a L3301 and Land Pride BB1260 box blade. I want to modify the box blade by attaching 3-inch angle iron to the inside with bolts and then weld two pieces of 3 inch angle steel at 10 degree angle. I think that the weight of the box blade will be sufficient and by bolting it to the box blade sides, it will be removable. It will be used to spread municipal compost to smooth out the yard. Any thougths?
I don't think a box blade will be long enough to have the desired effect.

bird dogger

Vendor Member

Equipment
Kubota B2650 and lots of other equipment
Feb 24, 2019
North Dakota
Welcome to OTT, HeartFixr!!

Instead of modifying your box blade....maybe a different approach might also be of interest to you.
I used parts off of my box blade to make this Land Plane. Select that "link" and see Post #6
The three point hitch and both hardened blades were removed and added to the fabricated framework for my land plane. I can unbolt those same pieces and put the box blade back together again when needed.

It was a cheap and easy way to build a land plane that works great. And the box blade can be put back together again if/when needed.

North Idaho Wolfman

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3450DT-GST, Woods FEL, B7100 HSD, FEL, 60" SB, 743 Bobcat with V2203, and more
Jun 9, 2013
Sandpoint, ID
Get or make a land plane, they work completely different than a box blade.

If you add ski's to a box blade the cutting edges will be too high off the ground.

Also, one of the reasons a land plane works do well is that it uses 2 blades at an angle that slide the material back and forth into lows, where a box blade will just drag material strait.

torch

Equipment
Jun 10, 2016
Muskoka, Ont.
I wonder if a better grading effect using a box blade as a starting point would be to imitate a grader? Some sort of a long beam or beams extending rearward from the top of the box blade with tail wheel(s), perhaps? Set to prevent the box from following dips but allowing it to take off the high spots. I would think the accumulation in the box should fill the dips before the wheel(s) arrived.