Subframe

North Idaho Wolfman

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3450DT-GST, Woods FEL, B7100 HSD, FEL, 60" SB, 743 Bobcat with V2203, and more
Jun 9, 2013
Sandpoint, ID
Highly unlikely as that subframe is for a MX4700,MX4800,MX5100,MX5200,MX5800.
And the BH90 and BH92 that fits that subframe are both way too large for a L2350.

Reactions: 1 user

nailman59

Equipment
Kubota L2350DT
Sep 20, 2024
Michigan
Highly unlikely as that subframe is for a MX4700,MX4800,MX5100,MX5200,MX5800.
And the BH90 and BH92 that fits that subframe are both way too large for a L2350.
Thank you for the reply. It’s good info. What I have going on is this….. I bought a 4672A Kubota backhoe secondhand. No paperwork. It looks brand new. I need info on whether I need a subframe, or a beefed up top link, or it’ll just go on what I have now. I’m rather new to this tractor stuff. I’m not even sure how it mounts

Henro

Equipment
B2910, BX2200, KX41-2V mini Ex., Beer fridge
May 24, 2019
North of Pittsburgh PA
edit: I couldn’t remember where I got the following drawing, but after posting it I see it’s on page 51 of the operators manual linked to above… I have a BL 4690A, and haven’t looked at the operators manual for a while. Got interested this morning after reading your post…🙂

IMG_2102.jpeg

Last edited:

old and tired

Equipment
L2800 HST; 2005; R4
…..I bought a 4672A Kubota backhoe secondhand. No paperwork....
Paperwork :)
https://kubotabooks.com/AutoIndex/index.php?dir=Backhoes/&file=B4672A BL4690A.pdf

You could get away with not having subframe or heavy duty top link, but you need to be very careful... I bought the heavy duty top link when I purchased an old Long 1199A backhoe. Put it first on a small dozer where it ripped all 6 bolts out of the top link :oops:

Decided it was too powerful, gave it away to someone with a bigger tractor, but glad I have a heavy duty top link mounted!! Brown colored thing, wraps across the top. I welded my "ears" for the top link to it. What you can't see is behind the 90* bend, are welded gussets for even more strength...

Attachments

nailman59

Equipment
Kubota L2350DT
Sep 20, 2024
Michigan
Yeah, good idea. The backhoe I bought is the 6’ one. I believe it weighs about 800ibs. What I would like is to actually SEE a picture of the 4672A backhoe hooked up to a L2350. I’m not sure how to even hook it up to my tractor

nailman59

Equipment
Kubota L2350DT
Sep 20, 2024
Michigan
edit: I couldn’t remember where I got the following drawing, but after posting it I see it’s on page 51 of the operators manual linked to above… I have a BL 4690A, and haven’t looked at the operators manual for a while. Got interested this morning after reading your post…🙂

View attachment 138166
Thank you. Yes, I also have seen that drawing. Now I just need to find all those parts

Henro

Equipment
May 24, 2019
North of Pittsburgh PA
Yeah, good idea. The backhoe I bought is the 6’ one. I believe it weighs about 800ibs. What I would like is to actually SEE a picture of the 4672A backhoe hooked up to a L2350. I’m not sure how to even hook it up to my tractor
Check out the following thread. There are pictures there showing how the three-point hitch backhoe hooks up to the three-point hitch of a tractor.

Basically that horizontal bar that has what looks like a hook on the end, goes over a pin in the three-point top link,, and then a second pin goes through the top hole in the hook to hold the top bar in place.

The three-point hitch arms attach to the lower part of the backhoe frame and are held in place by pins that slip through holes in the backhoe frame. The three-point arms slip up between two holes in the frame and the pin holds each in in place..

https://www.orangetractortalks.com/forums/threads/bl4690b-backhoe.69209/

nailman59

Equipment
Kubota L2350DT
Sep 20, 2024
Michigan
Check out the following thread. There are pictures there showing how the three-point hitch backhoe hooks up to the three-point hitch of a tractor.

Basically that horizontal bar that has what looks like a hook on the end, goes over a pin in the three-point top link,, and then a second pin goes through the top hole in the hook to hold the top bar in place.

The three-point hitch arms attach to the lower part of the backhoe frame and are held in place by pins that slip through holes in the backhoe frame. The three-point arms slip up between two holes in the frame and the pin holds each in in place..

https://www.orangetractortalks.com/forums/threads/bl4690b-backhoe.69209/
Unfortunately I didn’t get the thread

Henro

Equipment
May 24, 2019
North of Pittsburgh PA
here is a picture from the referenced thread: (you may have to scroll up/down to see the full image…)

IMG_0382.jpeg

fried1765

Equipment
Kubota L48 TLB, Ford 1920 FEL, Ford 8N, SCAG Liberty Z, Gravely Pro.
Nov 14, 2019
Eastham, Ma

Henro

Equipment
May 24, 2019
North of Pittsburgh PA
Plain and simple:
A 3pt hitch BH is really only a good idea, if you plan to do your digging in a pile of feathers! ;)
Certainly stated by somebody that never owned one!

Granted, there’s no comparison to fried1765’s L48.

But there is a huge difference between a three point hitch backhoe and a pick & shovel.

Of course, some people with large excavators laugh at the L 48. But others certainly realize that each tool has its capabilities and limitations.

fried1765

Equipment
Nov 14, 2019
Eastham, Ma
Certainly stated by somebody that never owned one!

Granted, there’s no comparison to fried1765’s L48.

But there is a huge difference between a three point hitch backhoe and a pick & shovel.

Of course, some people with large excavators laugh at the L 48. But others certainly realize that each tool has its capabilities and limitations.
Nobody is laughing!
Just explaining facts!
The B26, L35, L39, L45, L48, M59, M62, are DESIGNATED TLBs (not attachments), and are/were built for REAL work.
3 pt hitch backhoes are a step above the towable things,....... which are also better than, "a pick & shovel".

Last edited:

Henro

Equipment
May 24, 2019
North of Pittsburgh PA
Nobody is laughing!
Just explaining facts!
The B26, L35, L39, L45, L48, M59, M62, are DESIGNATED TLBs (not attachments), and are/were built for REAL work.
3 pt hitch backhoes are a step above the towable things,....... which are also better than, "a pick & shovel".
OK. I have to tell my three point hitch backhoe that. Several years ago it dug about 300 yd.³ of earth for me to move to another place on my property using my dump trailer.

And I’m waiting for somebody to confirm what you said about the three-point hitch backhoe only being good enough to dig a pile of feathers…

Sorry, having a LMAO moment… in the meantime, please find somebody with a decent sized excavator and tell them how your L48 can do the same amount of work as their excavator!

Just a fun conversation. No offense meant or intended…👍

fried1765

Equipment
Nov 14, 2019
Eastham, Ma
OK. I have to tell my three point hitch backhoe that. Several years ago it dug about 300 yd.³ of earth for me to move to another place on my property using my dump trailer.

And I’m waiting for somebody to confirm what you said about the three-point hitch backhoe only being good enough to dig a pile of feathers…

Sorry, having a LMAO moment… in the meantime, please find somebody with a decent sized excavator and tell them how your L48 can do the same amount of work as their excavator!

Just a fun conversation. No offense meant or intended…👍
NO ONE HAS EVER claimed that an L48 "can do the same amount of work as their excavator"
Apples do not look like, or taste like, oranges either,...... even though they are both known to be fruit.

Grandad4

Equipment
1949 Farmall M, previously owned: L 4610, BX 2230
Apr 5, 2016
Greensboro, NC
The issue with 3 point backhoes, at least the way I heard it, was safety. To be specific, the top link. If it breaks or breaks loose from where it is attached to the tractor, the whole backhoe - including the operator's seat - is free to pivot or lift on the lower arms. If you are pushing down or away with the hoe when it lets loose, you're in for an unwanted joyride. A guy I knew was passionate about this, having lost a friend who was killed after the toplink broke and somehow he got pinned between the backhoe seat and the ROPS.

An engineer would probably say that having a single sudden failure point that can cause extreme risk to the operator is a poor design. I have no idea what that guy - this was a long time ago, but may he RIP - was doing with the backhoe at that moment, but there is probably a lesson about what type of work should/should not be done with a 3 pt hoe.

If you're just starting out, keep this in mind when deciding what to buy and how you'll use it. And please be safe and careful with your equipment.

nailman59

Equipment
Kubota L2350DT
Sep 20, 2024
Michigan
Plain and simple:
A 3pt hitch BH is really only a good idea, if you plan to do your digging in a pile of feathers! ;)
The issue with 3 point backhoes, at least the way I heard it, was safety. To be specific, the top link. If it breaks or breaks loose from where it is attached to the tractor, the whole backhoe - including the operator's seat - is free to pivot or lift on the lower arms. If you are pushing down or away with the hoe when it lets loose, you're in for an unwanted joyride. A guy I knew was passionate about this, having lost a friend who was killed after the toplink broke and somehow he got pinned between the backhoe seat and the ROPS.

An engineer would probably say that having a single sudden failure point that can cause extreme risk to the operator is a poor design. I have no idea what that guy - this was a long time ago, but may he RIP - was doing with the backhoe at that moment, but there is probably a lesson about what type of work should/should not be done with a 3 pt hoe.

If you're just starting out, keep this in mind when deciding what to buy and how you'll use it. And please be safe and careful with your equipment.
I appreciate all the input that’s been generated. I didn’t know it was such a controversial subject. For me, the backhoe would be used for planting and some stump/bush removal. I also plan on using it for some short trench work. So I’ll be careful. I did order the beefed up top link bracket kit and I only have the 6’ hoe. We’ll see how it goes