Subframe

fried1765

Equipment
Kubota L48 TLB, Ford 1920 FEL, Ford 8N, SCAG Liberty Z, Gravely Pro.
Nov 14, 2019
Eastham, Ma
I appreciate all the input that’s been generated. I didn’t know it was such a controversial subject. For me, the backhoe would be used for planting and some stump/bush removal. I also plan on using it for some short trench work. So I’ll be careful. I did order the beefed up top link bracket kit and I only have the 6’ hoe. We’ll see how it goes
Since you seem to be well aware of the limitations, I very much doubt that you will have any issues.

Henro

Equipment
B2910, BX2200, KX41-2V mini Ex., Beer fridge
May 24, 2019
North of Pittsburgh PA
NO ONE HAS EVER claimed that an L48 "can do the same amount of work as their excavator"
Apples do not look like, or taste like, oranges either,...... even though they are both known to be fruit.
You missed my point, which is understandable due to my poor ability to express myself sometimes!

The point I was trying to make was if you would reverse your approach to the three point hitch backhoe, and claim to an excavator operator that the L48 that you own could do more than his excavator, then you would probably receive a response that is similar to what you are giving to people that don’t have an L 48 but do have a small backhoe for their tractor.

I don’t think anybody in this thread ever claimed that the smaller backhoe on a tractor could perform as well as the L48.

But someone here did state the following, which is really fiction:

“Plain and simple:
A 3pt hitch BH is really only a good idea, if you plan to do your digging in a pile of feathers! ;)

Henro

Equipment
B2910, BX2200, KX41-2V mini Ex., Beer fridge
May 24, 2019
North of Pittsburgh PA
The issue with 3 point backhoes, at least the way I heard it, was safety. To be specific, the top link. If it breaks or breaks loose from where it is attached to the tractor, the whole backhoe - including the operator's seat - is free to pivot or lift on the lower arms. If you are pushing down or away with the hoe when it lets loose, you're in for an unwanted joyride. A guy I knew was passionate about this, having lost a friend who was killed after the toplink broke and somehow he got pinned between the backhoe seat and the ROPS.

An engineer would probably say that having a single sudden failure point that can cause extreme risk to the operator is a poor design. I have no idea what that guy - this was a long time ago, but may he RIP - was doing with the backhoe at that moment, but there is probably a lesson about what type of work should/should not be done with a 3 pt hoe.

If you're just starting out, keep this in mind when deciding what to buy and how you'll use it. And please be safe and careful with your equipment.
The concern you mentioned is the reason for the crossbar on the bottom of the backhoe assembly that goes under the three-point hitch arms. It’s there not just because something can break, but because someone can forget to put the extra pin in that holds the upper arm of the backhoe to the three point hitch. How do I know this? Because I forgot to do it once.!!!

I’ve seen very few comments with respect to three point hitch backhoes that reference this truly valid safety concern. Almost everybody is focused on damage to the tractor if a proper Heavy duty top link bracket is not installed. Then they carry that thought on further to the point where even if a heavy duty top link bracket is installed, that you could still damage to tractor somehow. I’m sure this is true, but I’m not sure if it’s realistic.

I think I should start a thread on how much you can accomplish if you have a small backhoe on your tractor. I’ve done so much with my three point hitch backhoe over the years… It’s not as good as a small excavator, but it still is very functional and productive if you have the use and needs.

Reactions: 1 users