I need a good Flail mower. Thoughts???

notforhire

Equipment
Kubota L47
Dec 5, 2019
Meadows of Dan VA.
Yep, that IBEX is "identical" to my Del Morino Centurion Super. I don't know the nature of the relationship but it seems that IBEX gets them from Del Morino. Tractor Tools Direct has a decent price and appears to be lower than Good Works Tractor Co., where I bought mine.

@notforhire , were you having problems running the flail on your L47? If that's the case I'm surprised to hear that.

I highly recommend Del Morino or IBEX, and if you take the take to look at the design compared to many other models you'll notice that the Italians have it figured out with gusseting in the right places and quality components. The stuff looks to be engineered rather than thrown together.
I did run it behind my L47. The only problem I had was I hooked a small stump and bent a stabilizer.
The cutter was fully extended at the time. It was my fault. I can't turn my head much and didn't see the stump.
I was able to fix the stabilizer and there was no damage to the flail.

There is a lot of weight and leverage hanging out there if the cutter is elevated and fully extended. I would have been more comfortable using it behind my old JD 5055 with a cat2 hitch.
If I buy another it will be a wider IBEX unit without the offset.

100_1977.JPG

Reactions: 1 users

rookpond

Jun 26, 2024
Vermont
Last summer I noticed a "chirp" with the cutter running and reached out to Good Works Tractor Co. I told them I might not have pumped enough grease into the cutting drum bearings and asked them to quote replacement bearings. They sent out a complete set of bearings at no charge which is above and beyond what I expected. Other than the chirp, I've had no maintenance issues so far, and the quality is evident wherever you look.
@mcmxi Came across this reply as it looks like I have a bearing out on the cutter shaft on my Del Morino (a smaller funny top). How was pulling the shaft, did you need to remove the belts / pulleys / etc? The schematic doesn't show much on how it attaches on the far side, so figured I'd ask while the bearings are being shipped. Any info appreciated, and thanks.

WI_Hedgehog

Equipment
BX2370 (impliment details in Profile-About)
Apr 24, 2024
Milwaukee, Wisconsin, U.S.A.
....I hooked a small stump and bent a stabilizer. The cutter was fully extended at the time. It was my fault. I can't turn my head much and didn't see the stump....
I have a similar head turning issue and am adding dual cameras and 10" display. Mirrors would kind of work, but the view from cutting height would be tops. Doesn't seem too difficult to impliment.... :whistle:

notforhire

Equipment
Kubota L47
Dec 5, 2019
Meadows of Dan VA.
Have any of you used these in the vertical position to cut brush along fence lines?
I did and it worked ok. Not too much flying debris. I was cutting wild rose bushes/black berries/ pine branches.
The down side.
As previously mentioned I have trouble actually seeing what I'm doing. I can't turn my head very far.

The cutter is pretty heavy and I think the offset load was a straining my cat 1 3ph.

You have a much heavier machine and a cat 2 hitch, so you may not feel the offset weight as much.

Reactions: 1 user

mcmxi

Lifetime Member

Equipment
***Current*** M6060HDC, MX6000HSTC & GL7000 ***Sold*** MX6000HST & BX25DLB
Feb 9, 2021
NW Montana
@mcmxi Came across this reply as it looks like I have a bearing out on the cutter shaft on my Del Morino (a smaller funny top). How was pulling the shaft, did you need to remove the belts / pulleys / etc? The schematic doesn't show much on how it attaches on the far side, so figured I'd ask while the bearings are being shipped. Any info appreciated, and thanks.
My apologies for any confusion, but it was the bearing on the output shaft of the gear box that I needed to replace, which was an easy fix. See bearing # 41000058 in the schematic below (outlined in red at top of page).

bearing.jpg

mcmxi

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Feb 9, 2021
NW Montana
Have any of you used these in the vertical position to cut brush along fence lines?
I haven't, but I think it'd work well in that application. You might need to invest in some guards to protect the glass though.

mikester

Equipment
M59 TLB
Oct 21, 2017
Canada
www.divergentstuff.ca
I'd like to get something for maintaining around fence lines. Mostly fast growing new growth control of stuff like dogwood. How well do the hammer blades handle dead wood on the ground like hidden fallen branches? I'd like it to handle up to 2" but if I can do up to 4" that would be better...

Would a 72" cut width be too much for my little machine with a class1/2 3PH? I'm probably around 6,500lbs with the cab. I have three remotes so I'd like to go hydraulic everything.

mcmxi

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Feb 9, 2021
NW Montana
I'd like to get something for maintaining around fence lines. Mostly fast growing new growth control of stuff like dogwood. How well do the hammer blades handle dead wood on the ground like hidden fallen branches? I'd like it to handle up to 2" but if I can do up to 4" that would be better...

Would a 72" cut width be too much for my little machine with a class1/2 3PH? I'm probably around 6,500lbs with the cab. I have three remotes so I'd like to go hydraulic everything.
In my experience, those hammer blades do a great job of mulching just about anything. Ground speed is a factor of course, and if you go too fast you're likely to eject a solid chunk of something rather than chip it up.

I don't know if your tractor could/would handle a 72" flail like my Del Morino Centurion Super 158, particularly when the head is fully extended. Fully extended with the cutting head vertical puts less of a strain/load on the tractor than fully extended with the head horizontal. The terrain would play a part, along with speed too.

rookpond

Jun 26, 2024
Vermont
My apologies for any confusion, but it was the bearing on the output shaft of the gear box that I needed to replace, which was an easy fix. See bearing # 41000058 in the schematic below (outlined in red at top of page).

View attachment 131570
Gotcha - thanks for the reply.
The bearing on the cutter shaft is what I'll need to replace, the URC090D in the image above. If anyone's curious will report back how that replacement goes.
Also I'm getting those bearings from Good Works, but looks like with the Ibex partnership / whatever that relationship is that parts including belts and blades/hammers are easier to come by on tractortoolsdirect.com with the same part numbers... ordered some stuff from there too as backup and will see how that goes. Prices generally better too.

mcmxi

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Feb 9, 2021
NW Montana
The bearing on the cutter shaft is what I'll need to replace, the URC090D in the image above. If anyone's curious will report back how that replacement goes.
Also I'm getting those bearings from Good Works, but looks like with the Ibex partnership / whatever that relationship is that parts including belts and blades/hammers are easier to come by on tractortoolsdirect.com with the same part numbers... ordered some stuff from there too as backup and will see how that goes. Prices generally better too.
I would definitely be interested in hearing how that bearing swap went. I wasn't sure what was causing the noise from my flail late last year but figured it was a bearing, so reached out to GWTC to get a price on replacement bearings and they sent me a complete set at no cost. I wasn't expecting that.

WI_Hedgehog

Equipment
Apr 24, 2024
I've only had a few hours on the WoodMaxx FM-54, so far it's awesome. I have it set all the way up and still scalped a few rocks, the flails are in good shape considering and don't need sharpening despite the impacts.

The 6-point metric socket set I own doesn't have a 16mm, and that was an issue as the torque specs couldn't be reached with a 12-point (it slipped).

20240902_072349.jpg
The slip clutch is beefy, the PTO shaft fit great on a BX without cutting.

20240902_091323.jpg
WoodMaxx suggested having a fire extinguisher on the tractor so I added one.

20240902_091340.jpg
Great balance with an empty bucket, plenty of ground clearance.

20240902_110848.jpg
The "before" shot.

20240902_114359.jpg
Cutting an opening behind the trees to the right with a tri-blade on a straight-shaft trimmer was unpleasant, I had to start high to see what needed to be cut at ground level and work my way down, but it was a good comparison of what a high-powered trimmer and brush blade required verses a flail mower. The brush trimmer was a lot of work and progress was slow.

I lowered the bucket, pushed the brush under the tractor, drove down the hill, and let the flail mower chew a path, then went back up the hill the same way. By comparison there is no comparison.

20240902_114423.jpg
With the brush cutter there's fallen brush that needs to be picked up, with the flail mower there's mulch. The flail mower's roller and skids could be raised which will lower the blades for a closer cut now that the rocks can be seen, but there wasn't time this time.

I used the mower along the road and lawn edge with great results. This was a good investment and makes short work of clearing out 3/4" and smaller trees, brush, grass, brambles, ferns, briars, and pretty much anything I'd want to run over with a BX.

Adding mounts for a brush trimmer (for close cleanup) and chainsaw (for larger trees) is now on the to-list.

mcmxi

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Feb 9, 2021
NW Montana
I've only had a few hours on the WoodMaxx FM-54, so far it's awesome. I have it set all the way up and still scalped a few rocks, the flails are in good shape considering and don't need sharpening despite the impacts.

The 6-point metric socket set I own doesn't have a 16mm, and that was an issue as the torque specs couldn't be reached with a 12-point (it slipped).

View attachment 137274
The slip clutch is beefy, the PTO shaft fit great on a BX without cutting.

View attachment 137275
WoodMaxx suggested having a fire extinguisher on the tractor so I added one.

View attachment 137276
Great balance with an empty bucket, plenty of ground clearance.

View attachment 137277
The "before" shot.

View attachment 137278
Cutting an opening behind the trees to the right with a tri-blade on a straight-shaft trimmer was unpleasant, I had to start high to see what needed to be cut at ground level and work my way down, but it was a good comparison of what a high-powered trimmer and brush blade required verses a flail mower. The brush trimmer was a lot of work and progress was slow.

I lowered the bucket, pushed the brush under the tractor, drove down the hill, and let the flail mower chew a path, then went back up the hill the same way. By comparison there is no comparison.

View attachment 137279
With the brush cutter there's fallen brush that needs to be picked up, with the flail mower there's mulch. The flail mower's roller and skids could be raised which will lower the blades for a closer cut now that the rocks can be seen, but there wasn't time this time.

I used the mower along the road and lawn edge with great results. This was a good investment and makes short work of clearing out 3/4" and smaller trees, brush, grass, brambles, ferns, briars, and pretty much anything I'd want to run over with a BX.

Adding mounts for a brush trimmer (for close cleanup) and chainsaw (for larger trees) is now on the to-list.
Very nice! Is the cutting drum driven by belts? My Del Morino doesn't have a slip clutch but does have three drive belts. The gear box has a free-wheel feature but that's to allow the cutting drum to spin down when the PTO is turned off. I assume that the belts will slip if there's too much resistance at the cutting drum.

WI_Hedgehog

Equipment
Apr 24, 2024
Very nice! Is the cutting drum driven by belts? My Del Morino doesn't have a slip clutch but does have three drive belts. The gear box has a free-wheel feature but that's to allow the cutting drum to spin down when the PTO is turned off. I assume that the belts will slip if there's too much resistance at the cutting drum.
The cutting drum is driven by 3 belts that should not slip in order to reduce belt and pulley wear.

The drum spins down in approximately seven seconds. From what I remember, selecting the BX tractor's rear PTO locks up the PTO shaft and the shaft does not free-wheel, so IF I'm remembering correctly there is likely a one-way clutch in the FM-54 transmission.

The flail startup is really quiet, stopping is much quieter than in the videos though everything is new and the flails/bolts/arms don't have wear. It's kind of like running a mid-mount mower (until hitting something fibrous like a tree).
1725996439549.png

mcmxi

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Feb 9, 2021
NW Montana
The cutting drum is driven by 3 belts that should not slip in order to reduce belt and pulley wear.

The drum spins down in approximately seven seconds. From what I remember, selecting the BX tractor's rear PTO locks up the PTO shaft and the shaft does not free-wheel, so IF I'm remembering correctly there is likely a one-way clutch in the FM-54 transmission.

The flail startup is really quiet, stopping is much quieter than in the videos though everything is new and the flails/bolts/arms don't have wear. It's kind of like running a mid-mount mower (until hitting something fibrous like a tree).
I have a slip clutch on both rotary cutters but none on the flail. I was just curious as to why WoodMax has a slip clutch on the PTO shaft but Del Morino doesn't.

WI_Hedgehog

Equipment
Apr 24, 2024
I have a slip clutch on both rotary cutters but none on the flail. I was just curious as to why WoodMax has a slip clutch on the PTO shaft but Del Morino doesn't.
I would guess cost, the slip-clutch is perhaps overkill, except that the WM-54 flails cut forward and want to dig in verses ride-over something like a smaller rock or stump. If the flails cut front-to-back and pulled themselves up-and-over a stump that might be different?

I'm new to more than a yard tractor with MMM, rear sweeper/bagger, tiller, and snow blower (though I do design & build stuff), so can only guess. Yours is a great question because the PTO shaft with clutch is heavy, and "that ain't free" so there's a reason it's there.

mcmxi

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Feb 9, 2021
NW Montana
the PTO shaft with clutch is heavy, and "that ain't free" so there's a reason it's there.
Maybe, maybe not. WoodMax has a great reputation, based largely on their US made chippers, but they also sell imported stuff from Asia. I'm fairly confident that their line of flails are not made in the US.

IronCraft flails (made in India) don't use a slip clutch on the PTO shaft, and in their manuals for their standard and heavy duty models they state ...

"The gearbox unit is equipped with a free wheel inside, able to absorb the rotor inertia during stopping, and to prevent possible damage to the transmission system machine-tractor that would be caused by an instantaneous stop of the rotor. Consequently, the use of a cardan shaft with free wheel is not required."

I've noticed that the rotor on my Del Morino will spin down for 15 seconds or so, maybe more, once I disengage the PTO. The Del Morino models also have a free wheel device inside the gear box.

WoodMax says this about the gearbox on the FM models.

"Cast iron 540 RPM with internal over-running clutch – when the PTO shaft is disengaged the built in over running clutch allows the PTO shaft to stop turning while the gearbox and rotor shaft slow down gradually. This is an important feature, without it, the gearbox will slam to a halt when the PTO is disengaged, causing stress to the gearbox and your tractor. This feature should not be overlooked when shopping for a mower."

Befco (not the Chinese knockoff company Betstco) also uses an over-running clutch in the gearbox but don't have a slip clutch on the PTO shaft. Befco is one of the top flail manufacturers in the world, and like many Italian based companies have a lot of experience with flails which are ubiquitous in Europe among farmers. So I have to wonder why WoodMax has one. Are they not confident in their gear box or the over-running clutch? I'm just curious as to the difference in design approach.

Last edited:

Smokeydog

Equipment
M59, B26 grapples, backhoes, tillers, graders, diesel atv
Jun 2, 2020
knoxville, Tennessee
Alamo SHD74 and others sizes in their line have a slip clutch. Common flail mower for municipal use.
Tried a small flail for finish mowing. Regular finish mower is better on our hilly curvy ground. Rear roller not kind if continuous turning and trimming.
Figured the same for my many small fields. So picked up a used Alamo SHD74 with dual 14” rear swivel wheels. Impressive cut up to 1”.

WI_Hedgehog

Equipment
Apr 24, 2024
(great information snipped to respond to this part) I'm fairly confident that their line of flails are not made in the US.
WoodMaxx answered one of my e-mails regarding this: The flails are manufactured in China at a facility they have a long standing relationship with.

Thank you for all the information!

3milebaywaker

Sep 15, 2024
NY
Hey, I'm curious to know how the install went on that URC090D bearing. I'm facing a bad bearing myself after only 20 hrs of use on a $4k mower, and I'm a little upset by this when everything has been lubed. Here's a video of the bad bearing, other side is fine but after this shaking I'm guessing I'll need 2.

I see I'll need a lock ring socket but curious as to what other special tools will be needed. While I'm still in my 24 month warranty, I'm thinking I'm stuck doing the repair myself or having the pay my dealership since they ordered it through a regional distributor.

Thanks for any help you can give.