I need a good Flail mower. Thoughts???

thepilgrimlewis

Equipment
L3901 with BH77 backhoe, L6060 with BIG ass rear snow blower
Aug 20, 2023
Durham NH
Hey guys hows it goin ?? I just picked up 5.5 acres and need to mow this jungle of a property. This will include taking down lots of thorn bushes, saplings and overgrown grass. Im told a Flail mower for my L6060 will do the job. Can anyone recommend a good flail mower ?? I believe 72'' is the best size for the L6060.

Is it worth getting the offset embankment version ?? they look super cool !!

Reactions: 1 users

ctfjr

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3800HST
Dec 7, 2009
central ct
I picked up the Woodmax FM62H. I use it alongside the driveway.
20230830_162825_small.jpg

I have a top n tilt so I just tilt it some. The hydraulic offset keeps me from getting 'too close' to heaven. I wish it had more. A wider mower would help here.

I also used it in the woods to clear a trail for the dogs. It has hammers on it in lieu of knives.

This year I am going to try cutting the lawn with it also.

Reactions: 2 users

thepilgrimlewis

Equipment
Aug 20, 2023
Durham NH
I picked up the Woodmax FM62H. I use it alongside the driveway.
View attachment 124113

I have a top n tilt so I just tilt it some. The hydraulic offset keeps me from getting 'too close' to heaven. I wish it had more. A wider mower would help here.

I also used it in the woods to clear a trail for the dogs. It has hammers on it in lieu of knives.

This year I am going to try cutting the lawn with it also.
awesome thanks for the input !

mcmxi

Lifetime Member

Equipment
***Current*** M6060HDC, MX6000HSTC & GL7000 ***Sold*** MX6000HST & BX25TLB
Feb 9, 2021
NW Montana
Hey guys hows it goin ?? I just picked up 5.5 acres and need to mow this jungle of a property. This will include taking down lots of thorn bushes, saplings and overgrown grass. Im told a Flail mower for my L6060 will do the job. Can anyone recommend a good flail mower ?? I believe 72'' is the best size for the L6060.

I have a Del Morino Centurion Super 158 which works very well behind the MX6000. It's only a 5ft cutter but it does have the hydraulic offset and cutting head angle feature. Technically I could cut the face of a hedge but I don't have any of those, so for me it's useful for cutting banks and such. One of the advantages of these offset flails is that you don't have to drive over what you're cutting before you cut it. The right side wheels/tires will run over whatever you're cutting unless you take a 3ft to 4ft pass and then you don't run over anything, but that adds to how long it takes to cut 10 to 12 acres. There's a Flipper Super model now with a 6ft cutting head which would be great, but they're pricey.

Would I buy this exact model again? Yes, I would, or anything made by Del Morino for that matter. Their products exude quality and Good Works Tractor Co., does a great job of supporting the end user.

mx6000_dm_11.jpg

mx6000_dm_10.jpg

mx6000_flail_1.jpg

ctfjr

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3800HST
Dec 7, 2009
central ct
I have a Del Morino Centurion Super 158 which works very well behind the MX6000. It's only a 5ft cutter but it does have the hydraulic offset and cutting head angle feature. Technically I could cut the face of a hedge but I don't have any of those, so for me it's useful for cutting banks and such. One of the advantages of these offset flails is that you don't have to drive over what you're cutting before you cut it. The right side wheels/tires will run over whatever you're cutting unless you take a 3ft to 4ft pass and then you don't run over anything, but that adds to how long it takes to cut 10 to 12 acres. There's a Flipper Super model now with a 6ft cutting head which would be great, but they're pricey.

Would I buy this exact model again? Yes, I would, or anything made by Del Morino for that matter. Their products exude quality and Good Works Tractor Co., does a great job of supporting the end user.

View attachment 124623

View attachment 124624

View attachment 124622
now that's an offset!

mcmxi

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Feb 9, 2021
NW Montana
How well does it handle saplings and brush? What diameter will it reliably cut?

I'm interested on one of these offset mowers to replace my bush hog.
Courtney of Good Works Tractors Co., has a video showing the performance of the Del Morino. Around the 6 minute mark he's running over some thicker stuff, and based on my experience with the 158 I'd say that the video is an honest representation of the flail for all around use.

thepilgrimlewis

Equipment
Aug 20, 2023
Durham NH
Courtney of Good Works Tractors Co., has a video showing the performance of the Del Morino. Around the 6 minute mark he's running over some thicker stuff, and based on my experience with the 158 I'd say that the video is an honest representation of the flail for all around use.

holy crap that thing kicks ass !

• Haha

mikester

Equipment
M59 TLB
Oct 21, 2017
Canada
www.divergentstuff.ca
Very tempting. An you use yours vertically and have you tried it? How long do your cutters last? Any maintenance issues?

I'm thinking one of these 72" models would be helpful for keeping the field edges clear of scrub and for cutting brush growing through the fence lines.

I want to avoid buying a chinese nightmare again with tail light warranty and unobtainium parts.

mcmxi

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Feb 9, 2021
NW Montana
Very tempting. An you use yours vertically and have you tried it? How long do your cutters last? Any maintenance issues?

I'm thinking one of these 72" models would be helpful for keeping the field edges clear of scrub and for cutting brush growing through the fence lines.

I want to avoid buying a chinese nightmare again with tail light warranty and unobtainium parts.
I haven't cut anything with the head orientated vertically, but it does make maintenance and inspection a lot easier! :giggle: Like any steel cutting edge, the hammers can be damaged if you run over rocks, steel posts, etc. I've welded and shaped a couple of the hammers that I damaged but it was an easy fix.

These units do a much better job of mulching compared to rotary cutters, but that comes at the cost of ground speed. Also, even with hammers, they'll leave a much better finish on a pasture or lawn compared to a rotary cutter. They're about as close to an all-around cutter as can be found.

Last summer I noticed a "chirp" with the cutter running and reached out to Good Works Tractor Co. I told them I might not have pumped enough grease into the cutting drum bearings and asked them to quote replacement bearings. They sent out a complete set of bearings at no charge which is above and beyond what I expected. Other than the chirp, I've had no maintenance issues so far, and the quality is evident wherever you look.

• Wow

KubotaKid04

Equipment
L6060 ZD1211-3
Jun 8, 2024
Ontario Canada

Bud , curious to know what you bought and how it’s working. Just pick up a L6060 and was looking into a flail myself.

notforhire

Equipment
Kubota L47
Dec 5, 2019
Meadows of Dan VA.
I bought this from tractor tools Direct. It's a rebadged Del Morino.
It worked well but I was uncomfortable about the leverage on the 3ph because of the offset. I would be less concerned if it was on a cat 2 hitch.
I intend to buy a unit without the hyd offset. Pay no attention to the date on the photos.
100_1979.JPG
100_1979.JPG 100_1980.JPG
100_1982.JPG
100_1979.JPG 100_1980.JPG 100_1982.JPG

• Wow
Reactions: 4 users

wsurff

Equipment
L6060, Backhoe, Front Snow Blower, Grapple, Chipper, Box Blade
Oct 8, 2021
NJ
I have a WoodMaxx FM78H on my L6060. Works great. I have a set of hammers as well as knives. For thick brush, I use hammers and they do a good job. They do fine on pasture grass as well. I find the hydraulic offset helpful getting under tree branches and getting close to embankments. The top and tilt is helpful in that regard too.

Reactions: 1 user

LostTrail

Equipment
MX6000, LA1065
May 22, 2024
MT
I'm also looking for a flail mower for my new MX600, will be delivered this coming week. Would really like the hydraulic offset, but will have to add rear remotes before that option become viable. I know, should have had them added, but mitigating circumstances reduced the budget for the MX, so had to remove some add-ons in order to keep the 6000. Will add rear remotes and 3rd function in the future.
I'm keeping my eyes of auctions for 72"-78" flail mower and 7'-8' land plane/grader scraper. Hoping to stay away from Chinese stuff. Really like the Del Morino, but WoodMaxx looks good for the price of new.

Last edited:

mcmxi

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Feb 9, 2021
NW Montana
It worked well but I was uncomfortable about the leverage on the 3ph because of the offset. I would be less concerned if it was on a cat 2 hitch.
I intend to buy a unit without the hyd offset. Pay no attention to the date on the photos.
View attachment 130419
View attachment 130419 View attachment 130420 View attachment 130421 View attachment 130419 View attachment 130420 View attachment 130421
Yep, that IBEX is "identical" to my Del Morino Centurion Super. I don't know the nature of the relationship but it seems that IBEX gets them from Del Morino. Tractor Tools Direct has a decent price and appears to be lower than Good Works Tractor Co., where I bought mine.

@notforhire , were you having problems running the flail on your L47? If that's the case I'm surprised to hear that.

I highly recommend Del Morino or IBEX, and if you take the take to look at the design compared to many other models you'll notice that the Italians have it figured out with gusseting in the right places and quality components. The stuff looks to be engineered rather than thrown together.

KubotaKid04

Equipment
L6060 ZD1211-3
Jun 8, 2024
Ontario Canada
View attachment 130419
View attachment 130419 View attachment 130420 View attachment 130421 View attachment 130419 View attachment 130420 View attachment 130421
What size tractor you have? I’m getting my L6060 in 2 weeks so wondering how it would feel extending out.

mcmxi

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Feb 9, 2021
NW Montana
I cut some really tall stuff that was over the top of the cab in places, but the flail made quick work of it. You can see the first pass as I cut my way into this paddock.

04.jpg

05.jpg

Before.

08.jpg

After.

07.jpg

01.jpg

WI_Hedgehog

Equipment
BX2370 (impliment details in profile-about)
Apr 24, 2024
Milwaukee, Wisconsin, U.S.A.
I bought the WoodMaxx FM-54 on sale, and with the $1,000 saved (vs a 52" Del Morino) bought two extra sets of hammers, top-and-tilt kit, and Pat's Quick Connect.

If you didn't read this elsewhere already, since you're cutting brush and saplings you'll want hammers instead of Y-blades.

I'll note the FM-54 manually side shifts "a little," though I probably won't need it, and if I do would likely rig up a hydraulic cylinder. The specs are somewhat misleading, if memory serves the FM-54 shifts left 3" off-center and right 6"; that's not a lot, but WoodMaxx flail mowers seem to sit close to the tractor so the PTO shaft likely would lose a lot of power if it shifted more. Assuming I'm correct the benifit of sitting closer is less felt weight on the 3-point.

I cannot speak to any build quality differences as they're still building my FM-54, that might even out the initial difference in price.

I do not know if this is a valid concern, but from experience most quality imported parts to the U.S. are comparitively spendy and WoodMaxx replacement parts seemed "reasonably priced."

Respectfully, I wish I could provide more than "food for thought," hopefully other members will address the above as I'd also like to know.

Last edited:

mcmxi

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Feb 9, 2021
NW Montana
I bought the WoodMaxx FM-54 on sale, and with the $1,000 saved (vs a 52" Del Morino) bought two extra sets of hammers, top-and-tilt kit, and Pat's Quick Connect.

If you didn't read this elsewhere already, since you're cutting brush and saplings you'll want hammers instead of Y-blades.

I'll note the FM-54 manually side shifts "a little," though I probably won't need it, and if I do would likely rig up a hydraulic cylinder. The specs are somewhat misleading, if memory serves the FM-54 shifts left 3" off-center and right 6"; that's not a lot, but WoodMaxx flail mowers seem to sit close to the tractor so the PTO shaft likely would lose a lot of power if it shifted more. Assuming I'm correct the benifit of sitting closer is less felt weight on the 3-point.

I cannot speak to any build quality differences as they're still building my FM-54, that might even out the initial difference in price.

I do not know if this is a valid concern, but from experience most quality imported parts to the U.S. are comparitively spendy and WoodMaxx replacement parts seemed "reasonably priced."

Respectfully, I wish I could provide more than "food for thought," hopefully other members will address the above as I'd also like to know.
Those WoodMax flails look to be very well made. Looking forward to hearing how you like it once you get to give it a run.

Neil Messick mentioned recently that rotary cutter sales in the US are falling off, with many customers opting for flails over rotary cutters. Flails are commonplace in the UK and Europe with few rotary cutters.

mcmxi

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Feb 9, 2021
NW Montana

Flail cutters are relatively simple and quite robust and all of the parts such as belts, hammers and bearings are easy to find and at a reasonable cost ... except maybe hammers are not a "reasonable cost". I have 24 on my Del Morino and they're pricey, so welding and grinding works for me. One of the big advantages of flail mowers is the lack of weight of rotating parts and the significant reduction in the possibility of doing serious damage due to the reduced inertia of moving parts. There's a place for many forms of cutters, but I'd pick a flail over a rotary if I could only have one.

I received my flail in April of 2022 and have used it a lot. The belts are still fine (I bought a cheap replacement set for emergencies) and the only thing I've "had" to do is replace the bearing that supports the pulley on the output shaft of the gearbox since it was squeaking. It's a sealed bearing so maybe it was a bad one, time will tell if the new one lasts longer. Cutting for 3-1/2 hours last week, all I could hear was the sweet hum of the flail out back, and the engine of course. That MX is way louder in the cab than the M that's for sure.

I notice that you have a slip clutch on that WoodMax. I don't have one on mine but the gear box will only apply force in one direction, i.e. it won't engage in reverse. This must act as a free wheel of sorts, along with belts slipping.

I also notice that you have an automatic belt tensioner on the WoodMax. I have to adjust mine manually.

Last edited: