B2910 forward and reverse barely work

Aericauch

Equipment
B2910
Sep 8, 2024
Texas
I have a B2910 with 500 hours. I started having this issue where the forward and reverse barely work the reverse works better. No problems with the hydraulics that move the rear attachments. I replaced hydraulic oil and filters no change. When I got the tractor the hydraulic oil was severely overfilled. But I didn’t start having this issue till 2 years later.

Basically when I press the forward it acts like it wants to engage about half way through the full pedal travel it will start to engage but as I push it more forward it disengages, if I leave it in the middle it will slowly creep forward as if the clutch isnt fully engaged. The reverse is a little stronger but still not fully applied. Heat seems to make the problem worse ambient temp and internal. The hotter the day the worse it is, the longer I run it the worse it gets. Any help here would be greatly appreciated.

Last edited:

chim

Equipment
L4240HSTC with FEL, Ford 1210
Jan 19, 2013
Near Lancaster, PA, USA
On a previous tractor I made a thick floor mat. Reverse didn't work well till I found the mat was in the way.

Aericauch

Equipment
B2910
Sep 8, 2024
Texas
Simple stuff first. Have you checked the linkage?
Yes and from what I can tell it’s all good. Tight and operating properly. Anything specifically I should be looking for other than looseness and broken things?

chim

Equipment
Jan 19, 2013
Near Lancaster, PA, USA
Yes and from what I can tell it’s all good. Tight and operating properly. Anything specifically I should be looking for other than looseness and broken things?
I'm not as familiar with what all could be wrong as Wolfman. Pretty sure he will have ideas when he sees this.

chim

Equipment
Jan 19, 2013
Near Lancaster, PA, USA
On a previous Kubota there was a filter screen that required removal/cleaning. Does yours have that? IIRC it looked much like a bolt on the right side.

Reactions: 1 user

chim

Equipment
Jan 19, 2013
Near Lancaster, PA, USA
Try lowering the three point hitch about half way and see if that makes any difference.

Last edited:

Aericauch

Equipment
B2910
Sep 8, 2024
Texas
Does the engine act normally? Any changes in RPM's when pedal is pressed?
Yup engine acts normal. Whining noise from the hydraulic pump like it’s trying to engage the clutch. I looked for leaks didn’t find anything and I haven’t been losing fluid at all

TheOldHokie

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3901/LA525, B7200DT/B1630, G2160/RCK60, G2460/RCK60
Apr 6, 2021
Myersville, MD
windyridgefarm.us
Yup engine acts normal. Whining noise from the hydraulic pump like it’s trying to engage the clutch. I looked for leaks didn’t find anything and I haven’t been losing fluid at all
You have an HST transmission.

It is independent of the loader and 3pt hydraulics.

The only clutch is the mechanical one you operate with your foot.

You need to obtain a copy of the workshop manual and follow the transmission trouble shooting procedure in it. Here is a free download.

Dan

Last edited:

North Idaho Wolfman

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3450DT-GST, Woods FEL, B7100 HSD, FEL, 60" SB, 743 Bobcat with V2203, and more
Jun 9, 2013
Sandpoint, ID
Sounds like you could have a Clutch issue.
Do you have a PTO powered implement?

Reactions: 1 user

chim

Equipment
Jan 19, 2013
Near Lancaster, PA, USA
The reason I asked about the 3PH in Post #12 above because of something I remember running into a while back. The feedback adjustment on my Kubota had somehow managed to get out of adjustment. The hitch kept trying to raise itself when the lever was pulled into the full "up" position. As I understand it that caused the fluid to bypass and the tractor had trouble going up a grade. After a quick adjustment everything was fine again.

Henro

Equipment
B2910, BX2200, KX41-2V mini Ex., Beer fridge
May 24, 2019
North of Pittsburgh PA
The reason I asked about the 3PH in Post #12 above because of something I remember running into a while back. The feedback adjustment on my Kubota had somehow managed to get out of adjustment. The hitch kept trying to raise itself when the lever was pulled into the full "up" position. As I understand it that caused the fluid to bypass and the tractor had trouble going up a grade. After a quick adjustment everything was fine again.
I had something similar to what chim described happen with my B2910. In my case I had put my 3PH backhoe on, and somehow the three-point hitch lever ended up in the full up position. if I remember right the tractor moved when I pushed the directional pedal but I think it bogged down if I tried to go faster than a crawl.

I was totally puzzled and asked a question probably at TBN but it could’ve been here, and somebody said check the three-point hitch lever and make sure it’s down. That was my problem but I think the OP mentioned that he did test the three-point operation.

What the OP describes seems totally different than what I experienced with the three-point lever issue.

I like the Wolfman’s suggestion!

Aericauch

Equipment
B2910
Sep 8, 2024
Texas
Update. I tried to mow with the belly blade that runs off the pto and realized the whole tractor is basically acting like I’m stuck in tall grass. As soon as I start crawling the belly blade acts like it’s stuck. If I let my foot off the forward the blades spin normal. So something might be wrong with whatever stops the tractor drive when the pto is under stress. Does the clutch do this?