New to be B20

Mass1866

Equipment
B20 loader/backhoe
Aug 27, 2024
Saskatchewan, Canada
I’m new to Kubota. Just bought a B20 with a loader and hoe. Guess I never worked it hard enough on test drive.
Low on power in medium and high gear.
Smokes black like crazy. Not quite 2300 hrs on her.
Of coarse all filter were done when I got it home.
How good were pump and injectors on these?
Injectors are reasonable but would like a direction to go before I start spending money.

Mass1866

Equipment
B20 loader/backhoe
Aug 27, 2024
Saskatchewan, Canada
I’m new to Kubota. Just bought a B20 with a loader and hoe. Guess I never worked it hard enough on test drive.
Low on power in medium and high gear.
Smokes black like crazy. Not quite 2300 hrs on her.
Of coarse all filter were done when I got it home.
How good were pump and injectors on these?
Injectors are reasonable but would like a direction to go before I start spending money.
It seems hard to find information on these. Is it just due to age or were they poorer or not very reliable or popular?

North Idaho Wolfman

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3450DT-GST, Woods FEL, B7100 HSD, FEL, 60" SB, 743 Bobcat with V2203, and more
Jun 9, 2013
Sandpoint, ID
What color of smoke?
That will determine a lot.

North Idaho Wolfman

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
Jun 9, 2013
Sandpoint, ID
Black smoke can be over fueling or lack of air.
How does it start?

Mass1866

Equipment
B20 loader/backhoe
Aug 27, 2024
Saskatchewan, Canada
What color of smoke?
That will determine a lot.
Sorry. It’s black smoke. I should have mentioned I’ve been a home and farm mechanic for 30 years. Not to boast, just to show I’m able to do general diagnoses pretty well.
Im just new to the Kubota team and am looking for some info of their weak spots, if any.
Thanks for the reply though.

Russell King

Equipment
L185F, Modern Ag Competitor 4’ shredder, Rhino tiller, rear dirt scoop
Jun 17, 2012
Austin, Texas
Since it is new to you, have you had hydrostatic transmission in the past and understand how they operate?

I have seen complaints about their operation and power in the higher ranges so it may be you are thinking the pedal is like a throttle but it is more like a gear selector and the slower you go the more power is available.

Reactions: 1 user

Smokeydog

Equipment
M59, B26 grapples, backhoes, tillers, graders, diesel atv
Jun 2, 2020
knoxville, Tennessee
We had our B20 for over 20years. Like the TLB series.

EBay good source of WSM.

So you put a new Kubota air filter in? I would stick with Kubota filters and hydraulic oil. Real finicky on hydraulic oil.

Try a good injection cleaner. Mine run better, burn cleaner with Stanadyne performance.

High range is about unless for us on our hillside farm. Medium range mostly. Low for power. It is not a fast machine. Constantly adjusting transmission ratio with HST pedal.

Built like a tank. We bought ours used 250hours. . Previous owner had put a stick thru the radiator. Always worried if the engine had gotten too hot. Ours swallowed an injector at about 3600hours. Upgraded to B26. Extra HP, bigger, better backhoe and strong FEL lift really helped that platform.

• Love

Smokeydog

Equipment
Jun 2, 2020
knoxville, Tennessee
Worst complaint is parking brake. Stupid design. Always had to use the FEL.

Miss the ssqa.

Build a custom pallet if removing backhoe. Makes R&R much easier. Same for the B26.

3pt arms are T-Rex like. Improved the B26 with Pat’s quick hitch and pin sway control bars.

The large suction hydraulic filter in front and low of the right side floorboard is prone to damage. Don’t run a dented filter. Needs better skid plate protection.

OEM hoses rubber covers all failed about the same time. Switched all to HD two wire from Surplus Center.

Mass1866

Equipment
B20 loader/backhoe
Aug 27, 2024
Saskatchewan, Canada
Since it is new to you, have you had hydrostatic transmission in the past and understand how they operate?

I have seen complaints about their operation and power in the higher ranges so it may be you are thinking the pedal is like a throttle but it is more like a gear selector and the slower you go the more power is available.
Yeah but this is excessive. Even in mid range. Hardly has power to pull itself.
I’ll try the injector cleaner first and go from there.

North Idaho Wolfman

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
Jun 9, 2013
Sandpoint, ID
Most likely candidate is bad injectors.
They are very common injectors.
But DO NOT buy injectors for eBay, Amazon, or a host of other places that are not top tier.
There is a rash of junk injectors running around.
If you do not have a local injection shop that can rebuild them, I use Oregon Fuel Injection to do it.

Mass1866

Equipment
B20 loader/backhoe
Aug 27, 2024
Saskatchewan, Canada
But DO NOT buy injectors for eBay, Amazon, or a host of other places that are not top tier.
If you do not have a local injection shop that can rebuild them, I use Oregon Fuel Injection to do it.
Thanks for the input. I was going to order from
Yes, I was gonna order from Messick’s if it comes to that. I think things north of the border here are a little overpriced.

North Idaho Wolfman

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
Jun 9, 2013
Sandpoint, ID
Thanks for the input. I was going to order from

Yes, I was gonna order from Messick’s if it comes to that. I think things north of the border here are a little overpriced.
None of the Kubota dealers will have these injectors, or if they do they will be stupid expensive.

Mass1866

Equipment
B20 loader/backhoe
Aug 27, 2024
Saskatchewan, Canada
Worst complaint is parking brake. Stupid design. Always had to use the FEL.

Miss the ssqa.

Build a custom pallet if removing backhoe. Makes R&R much easier. Same for the B26.

3pt arms are T-Rex like. Improved the B26 with Pat’s quick hitch and pin sway control bars.

The large suction hydraulic filter in front and low of the right side floorboard is prone to damage. Don’t run a dented filter. Needs better skid plate protection.

OEM hoses rubber covers all failed about the same time. Switched all to HD two wire from Surplus Center.
Would you have a pic of that pallet. I would like to build something for that

Mass1866

Equipment
B20 loader/backhoe
Aug 27, 2024
Saskatchewan, Canada
None of the Kubota dealers will have these injectors, or if they do they will be stupid expensive.

Nice. Thanks. I am Cautiously, optimistic. Put a good injector cleaner in it the other night and ran it around for a bit and It appears to be easy up on the smoke somewhat.

Smokeydog

Equipment
Jun 2, 2020
knoxville, Tennessee
IMG_2006.jpeg

Owners manual tells you block underneath when removing. It doesn’t tell you why. When removing it is supported by the bucket and outriggers. They will bleed down over time and becomes too low for the hydraulic lines to reach.

I back over the pallet, unhook, pull away just a little, turn off tractor, move backhoe controls to release all pressure and rest on pallet. Disconnect lines and RECONNECT BACK TO TRACTOR!!! Then can restart tractor and pull away. There is not much play with those hydraulic lines.

Used scrap timber drops to make a pallet. Most any blocking or chunk of wood would work. The pallet can take a little bit of bumping around when reconnecting without worry about the backhoe falling off.

First couple of times took an hour to learn how to disconnect to 3pt and back. Now 10-15minutes.

fried1765

Equipment
Kubota L48 TLB, Ford 1920 FEL, Ford 8N, SCAG Liberty Z, Gravely Pro.
Nov 14, 2019
Eastham, Ma
View attachment 136859
Owners manual tells you block underneath when removing. It doesn’t tell you why. When removing it is supported by the bucket and outriggers. They will bleed down over time and becomes too low for the hydraulic lines to reach.

I back over the pallet, unhook, pull away just a little, turn off tractor, move backhoe controls to release all pressure and rest on pallet. Disconnect lines and RECONNECT BACK TO TRACTOR!!! Then can restart tractor and pull away. There is not much play with those hydraulic lines.

Used scrap timber drops to make a pallet. Most any blocking or chunk of wood would work. The pallet can take a little bit of bumping around when reconnecting without worry about the backhoe falling off.

First couple of times took an hour to learn how to disconnect to 3pt and back. Now 10-15minutes.
That must be the BH from your B26?

Mass1866

Equipment
B20 loader/backhoe
Aug 27, 2024
Saskatchewan, Canada
Yes. Sold the B20. Use the same pallet.
The M59 and maybe your L48 backhoe can sit on the ground with no problem.
Looks simple. Thanks.
Now that I have the whole off and hi Troy a couple together. I am getting nothing at all from the three-point hitch. The lift arms are loose with no pressure to them at all matter what position the lift lever is in. Trying a full hydraulic system flush.
Anybody experienced this before?