FAB Tools

Trimley

Lifetime Member

Equipment
BX23SLSB-R-1 plus additions
Jul 25, 2023
PNW-WA
Having this surplus of metal I brought home, projects are waiting, and all I have are cut-off wheels. That's a slow process.

Today I ordered a LOTOS LTP5000D Plasma Cutter and a 77pc "consumables kit". I also got a "Y" splitter so I can have the MIG and Plasma Cutter plugged-in and ready for use.

*Inspired by @Runs With Scissors* 👋

• Haha
Reactions: 2 users

Oleracer

Equipment
B2150 Kubota LA 350 750 Woods S250 Bobcat 300x deere
Jul 18, 2024
CT
Having this surplus of metal I brought home, projects are waiting, and all I have are cut-off wheels. That's a slow process.

Today I ordered a LOTOS LTP5000D Plasma Cutter and a 77pc "consumables kit". I also got a "Y" splitter so I can have the MIG and Plasma Cutter plugged-in and ready for use.

Get a good air dryer or your plasma cutter will just become and expensive dust collector…. Dry air is a must and not some little water catcher…
Enjoy…

Reactions: 1 users

Trimley

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Jul 25, 2023
PNW-WA
Get a good air dryer or your plasma cutter will just become and expensive dust collector…. Dry air is a must and not some little water catcher…
Enjoy…
Have any suggestions?

DustyRusty

Equipment
2020 BX23S, BX2822 Snowblower, Curtis Deluxe Cab,
Nov 8, 2015
North East CT
Have any suggestions?
from another thread about the same subject. (https://www.orangetractortalks.com/...love-with-some-new-angle-grinder-disks.70497/)

I purchased a Desiccant Dryer,5 Stage,30 CFM by Speedaire on Amazon when I found one at a deep discount. ($188 plus tax). That unit normally costs $684.01. While you don't need anything nearly as expensive, there are lots of similar options available to you. What I like about mine are the beads, when they turn pink, you put them in the oven and heat them for an hour or so on a clean cookie sheet. Remove and let cool and reuse them in the filter and they continue to absorb moisture.

[/QUOTE]

Reactions: 1 users

Ktrim

Equipment
B2400, lA352 loader,3pth quick hitch/z122r zero turn/restored 52 farmall super a
Dec 23, 2020
Nazareth Pa
These things work great. I actually have one of the original design. I can use a roll of toilet paper in it. They discovered that this was possible and changed the dimensions. So they could sell more of their inserts of course. But it is definitely effective

Attachments

Ktrim

Equipment
B2400, lA352 loader,3pth quick hitch/z122r zero turn/restored 52 farmall super a
Dec 23, 2020
Nazareth Pa
I also devised this setup about 15 yrs ago. Plumb air out of the compressor through series of baseboard heat, then into the tank. Moisture drops out of cool air faster thereby drops to the bottom of the tank and is not circulated. The sections of baseboard will actually start pinging when releasing the heat.
No clogging issues with glass bead cabinet since.

Attachments

Reactions: 1 user

Trimley

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Jul 25, 2023
PNW-WA
These things work great. I actually have one of the original design. I can use a roll of toilet paper in it. They discovered that this was possible and changed the dimensions. So they could sell more of their inserts of course. But it is definitely effective
Figures, I may have been interested in that one. Not now.

Trimley

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Jul 25, 2023
PNW-WA
I also devised this setup about 15 yrs ago. Plumb air out of the compressor through series of baseboard heat, then into the tank. Moisture drops out of cool air faster thereby drops to the bottom of the tank and is not circulated. The sections of baseboard will actually start pinging when releasing the heat.
That's creative. Your pump looks like the one on my 30 gallon Campbell Hausfeld. My dad bought it new back in the early 80's. I drug it out from under the bench today and cleaned it all up. I changed the oil and installed a new factory filter. Another option with the Plasma Cutter.

Runs With Scissors

Equipment
L2501 TLB , Grappel, Brush Hog, Box Blade, Ballast box, Forks, Tiller, PH digger
Jan 25, 2023
Michigan
Have any suggestions?
I just ordered a Motor Guard filter along with a "desiccant" style filter to put in series.

A lot of people like the Motor Guard "toilet paper" style filters.

I have no experience with either one though. This whole "dry air" thing is kinda new to me.

I chose the "M60" because the smaller ones have the "intake and exhaust" in weird places. I preferred the "intake and exhaust" to be "inline" with each other

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B000WZYKAE?ref=ppx_yo2ov_dt_b_fed_asin_title

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B09ZP4T4RB/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o02_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

GreensvilleJay

Equipment
BX23-S,57 A-C D-14,58 A-C D-14, 57 A-C D-14,tiller,cults,Millcreek 25G spreader,
Apr 2, 2019
Greensville,Ontario,Canada
there's a nice video 'somewhere' on the net of a guy who used a Chevy pickup A/C rad and a fan to cool the HOT air before going into the tank. try googling 'air compressor intercooler' or similar.
The deal is to get RID of the water and cool down the air BEFORE it goes into the tank. The dessicant is great to remove the 'last' drips of the water.

WI_Hedgehog

Equipment
BX2370 (impliment details in Profile-About)
Apr 24, 2024
Milwaukee, Wisconsin, U.S.A.
As a note, a rubber hose coming off the compressor will reduce work-hardening and stress fracturing in the copper.

I use a compressor-based air dryer purchased used off eBay. Dry air is really, really important when converting matter into energy (plasma)*, otherwise the plasma stream loses confinement and that creates all sorts of problems, briefly.

Plasma is called the fourth state of matter after solid, liquid, and gas. In simple terms it's like putting so much energy into matter you're splitting atoms into electrons and protons. (It's way more complicated, but that's kind of it in one sentence.)

PoTreeBoy

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L35 Ford 3930
Mar 24, 2020
WestTn/NoMs

You guys bragging about your fancy-ass tools, and ole PoTreeBoy's gonna have to cut out the curve to fit my cross tube with grinder and cut-off wheels. Yes, that's a frown. Congrats!
IMG_20240827_082407297.jpg

• Haha

Trimley

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Jul 25, 2023
PNW-WA
All the suggestions and recommendations to better performance, kinda reminds me of my dad, having that "talk" with me when I first started dating.

He began with....use a rubber.

His closing comment...the door closed.

Thanks, Dad?

Too many choices.
I want what does the job. I'd like to retain my testicles.

Trimley

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Jul 25, 2023
PNW-WA
You guys bragging about your fancy-ass tools, and ole PoTreeBoy's gonna have to cut out the curve to fit my cross tube with grinder and cut-off wheels. Yes, that's a frown. Congrats!
View attachment 136087
I'm at a point in my life, thinking back. Back in the day when places of business of which I supported, would do things for their customers of 3-4 decades, without my feeling HOSED. Aggressively fondled, I would shrug off. Now a day, most all business's are about money. Loyalty of customers past be damned.

My hobby is being self sufficient.

PoTreeBoy

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L35 Ford 3930
Mar 24, 2020
WestTn/NoMs
I'm at a point in my life, thinking back. Back in the day when places of business of which I supported, would do things for their customers of 3-4 decades, without my feeling HOSED. Aggressively fondled, I would shrug off. Now a day, most all business's are about money. Loyalty of customers past be damned.

My hobby is being self sufficient.
I think like that. Anything I can do myself, I do. Seems like everytime I hire somebody, I have to finish, redo, do over or fix what they broke.

Reactions: 2 users

Trimley

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Jul 25, 2023
PNW-WA
My favorite tool is my evolution 15 inch cold cut saw. Perfect cuts in soft steel shapes with no sparks or heat. https://store.evolutionpowertools.com/products/evosaw380
Also love my chip pick up tool https://store.evolutionpowertools.com/products/mcc390
I looked into them. I've also had someone locally try to sway me into buying a portable type. As it stands, I use a radial arm, and tablesaw for cutting (up-to) 3/8" aluminum. Those tools work, but they send the bits and pieces just like when cutting wood. I don't care for the mess there is to clean up, but it is what is, when you got what you have to get the job done. I also use a strong magnet when messing with steel.

Sidekick

Equipment
Kioti CK2620SE cab, RTV-X, BX3260, Z726XKW-3-60, Deere 4100
Jul 29, 2023
N.Y,
I looked into them. I've also had someone locally try to sway me into buying a portable type. As it stands, I use a radial arm, and tablesaw for cutting (up-to) 3/8" aluminum. Those tools work, but they send the bits and pieces just like when cutting wood. I don't care for the mess there is to clean up, but it is what is, when you got what you have to get the job done. I also use a strong magnet when messing with steel.
Mine cuts 4 x 4 x 1/4 wall steel tubing like butter with perfect cuts unlike my bandsaw that would take 15 minutes for the same cut. Have an aluminum cutting blade for it also. If you deal with scrap shapes it's a great tool. I use an abrasive saw for hardened steels but that makes sparks and a big mess.
The magnet is nice because I just hold it over a garbage can and pull the handle that allows the chips to fall right off.

drygulch

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3901, LA525, ever changing attachments
May 30, 2024
Georgia
www.ebay.com
I also devised this setup about 15 yrs ago. Plumb air out of the compressor through series of baseboard heat, then into the tank. Moisture drops out of cool air faster thereby drops to the bottom of the tank and is not circulated.
Mine uses a similar concept. Was recommended by some old timer on Len's Auto Body Forum. (decades gone now I believe). Until now, I had never seen it used again.

Pictures aren't great, but basically copper was plumbed into switchbacks, behind the fan/pulley, that drain back into the tank.

I also have a Sharpe F88 filter after the copper (bought from Len's store). Filter never appears to need draining. Never had issues with blasting, plasma, whatever.

Love the repurposed baseboard heaters. (y)

Attachments