Checkering a gunstock is not like riding a bicycle! ARRRG.

ken erickson

Equipment
B7100 hst, 2650 front mount snowblower, L2501 hst qa loader
Nov 21, 2010
Waupaca Wisconsin
I had gotten pretty good at hand checkering back in my gunshop, gunsmithing days. Recently I had decided to rework my second built rifle stock when I attended Colo. School of Trades, circa 1981. Part of the course requirements was to build a minimum of 3 rifle stocks from blanks, all hand inletted, no rough turning or duplicating allowed.

The rifle in question is a Interarms MK10 barreled action in .243 Win with black walnut stock. Like many inexperienced stock makers I left too much wood though out. Fast forward 40 years and I decided to slim the stock down and re-checker.

This is the first panel which would not pass muster if I was charging a customer. I knew I was out of practice, its been 23 years since I did any gunstock checkering, but Jeez, I was having trouble getting even spaced lines with my vintage MMC power checkering head. Come to find out a special tiny screw that holds a miniature bearing had come un-staked and allowed the carbide cutter axle to disengage from the bearing. After fixing the problem the next panel is coming along much better.
IMG_0339.jpeg

IMG_0338.jpeg
IMG_0345.JPG

IMG_0348.jpeg

IMG_0351.jpeg

• Love
Reactions: 12 users

85Hokie

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
BX-25D ,PTB. Under Armor, '90&'92-B7100HST's, '06 BX1850 FEL
Jul 13, 2013
Bedford - VA
Brother - you get an A+ for the grade - looks awesome !

Reactions: 2 users

D2Cat

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L305DT, B7100HST, TG1860, TG1860D, L4240
Mar 27, 2014
40 miles south of Kansas City
Ken, I know nothing about gun stocks, what i do know is that for several years what you show in pictures of work done, it is always detailed and excellent. Your design and build of the mechanism to get you on your tractor is tops though!!!!!

Reactions: 1 user

ken erickson

Equipment
Nov 21, 2010
Waupaca Wisconsin
Thanks for comments guys! Much appreciated.

My seat lift has worked really well over the years and was a fun build! I am bringing the tractor back to my house after deer season and going to modify my hand control for the HST and give it a good wash and wax. First one since ownership.

Side two of the grip is done, went much better than the first. I am glad I can not see both at the same time! LOL. Not sure if I am going to do a wrap around on the forend or two separate panels.
IMG_0380.JPG

IMG_0394.jpeg

Reactions: 4 users

Tughill Tom

Equipment
B3200
Dec 23, 2013
Turin, NY
Thanks for comments guys! Much appreciated.

My seat lift has worked really well over the years and was a fun build! I am bringing the tractor back to my house after deer season and going to modify my hand control for the HST and give it a good wash and wax. First one since ownership.

Side two of the grip is done, went much better than the first. I am glad I can not see both at the same time! LOL. Not sure if I am going to do a wrap around on the forend or two separate panels.
View attachment 135233

View attachment 135234
I vote for the full wrap.

Reactions: 1 users

jaxs

Equipment
B1750HST
Jun 22, 2023
Texas
Very nice. Around 40 years ago my brother and I harvested Black Walnut logs from Granddad's farm. On advice of a cabinet maker we discarded stump and roots as well as log above base of first limb. We found out after the fact that figure like in your buttstock comes from stump and where limbs junction with trunk. I've built and hired people to build items I hope to be family heirlooms and I still have a couple hundred board feet. The best compliment I've ever received was when I overheard my daughter-in-law tell her neighbor if she could only save one tangible item should her house burn,"it is my hope chest". 😢
I haven't tools nor skill for checkering but have imo improved stocks with what I call stippling. Draw outer perimeter of design on graph paper with suitable size squares. Tape paper to stock then use lite hammer and punch with parallelogram or rhombus ground on point to dimple line intersections. By coloring in squares of paper interesting patterns are possible by not stippling the colored blocks. Kind of shade tree or hillbilly when compared to your checkering but doesn't require near the skill or tools. Have you seen result of this procedure and care to comment on it? 🤔

ken erickson

Equipment
Nov 21, 2010
Waupaca Wisconsin
Very nice. Around 40 years ago my brother and I harvested Black Walnut logs from Granddad's farm. On advice of a cabinet maker we discarded stump and roots as well as log above base of first limb. We found out after the fact that figure like in your buttstock comes from stump and where limbs junction with trunk. I've built and hired people to build items I hope to be family heirlooms and I still have a couple hundred board feet. The best compliment I've ever received was when I overheard my daughter-in-law tell her neighbor if she could only save one tangible item should her house burn,"it is my hope chest". 😢
I haven't tools nor skill for checkering but have imo improved stocks with what I call stippling. Draw outer perimeter of design on graph paper with suitable size squares. Tape paper to stock then use lite hammer and punch with parallelogram or rhombus ground on point to dimple line intersections. By coloring in squares of paper interesting patterns are possible by not stippling the colored blocks. Kind of shade tree or hillbilly when compared to your checkering but doesn't require near the skill or tools. Have you seen result of this procedure and care to comment on it? 🤔
I had stippled stocks back in the day for a few customers. One in particular comes to mind. A lady was involved in the summer biathlon which emulates the winter biathlon but instead of cross country skiing between stages the competitor runs. Her first purpose built biathlon rifles had no checkering or surface treatment for improved grip. Stippling was an economical solution for her.

Unlike my single point stippling tool and overall pattern yours sounds very interesting! I would love for you to share any pictures you may have! 😀👍

GreensvilleJay

Equipment
BX23-S,57 A-C D-14,58 A-C D-14, 57 A-C D-14,tiller,cults,Millcreek 25G spreader,
Apr 2, 2019
Greensville,Ontario,Canada
I admire your talent ! My great grandfather was a well respected gunsmith here in Hamilton. Sadly al his tools are long gone, Chief of Police got a few of his HANDMADE guns though I got his last piece ,made in 1941.

Always amazed at silversmith's artwork on belt buckles too..yeesh, one slip or sneeze....arrgh....
patience , you gotta have a LOT of patience !

Moose7060

Equipment
M7060, L3902 HST, Farm King PT740, HLA 2500 Snowpusher, LandPride RCR1872
Oct 14, 2023
bc
Beautiful work. Just beautiful!

Runs With Scissors

Equipment
L2501 TLB , Grappel, Brush Hog, Box Blade, Ballast box, Forks, Tiller, PH digger
Jan 25, 2023
Michigan
That is awesome looking. (y) (y)

I tried wood carving one time. I did not have the skill/patience for it.

rc51stierhoff

Equipment
B2650, MX6000, Ford 8N, (BX sold)
Sep 13, 2021
Ohio
Thank you for the kind comment. Pictures on the interweb do have a way of hiding flaws, lol. Cars and tractors always look better than in person. :)
Are you racing the clock to complete before hunting s
Thank you for the kind comment. Pictures on the interweb do have a way of hiding flaws, lol. Cars and tractors always look better than in person. :)
Good day.

I can only imagine that since you are putting your soul into it with the hand work must be for a special purpose (sure looks the part…looks like top shelf high grade work from where I am sitting). What is the goal of this stock / rifle project? ☕

Last edited:

skeets

Equipment
BX 2360 /B2601
Oct 2, 2009
SW Pa
I would be afraid to take something out and shoot it with wood like that,,,, beautiful !!!!

ken erickson

Equipment
Nov 21, 2010
Waupaca Wisconsin
Are you racing the clock to complete before hunting s
Good day.

I can only imagine that since you are putting your soul into it with the hand work must be for a special purpose (sure looks the part…looks like top shelf high grade work from where I am sitting). What is the goal of this stock / rifle project? ☕

What is the goal of this stock / rifle project? ☕

There is a bit of a back story to this rifle and the reason I got off my lazy butt to finish it.

As mentioned in my first post this was one of three rifle stocks I had to build when I was at Colorado School of trades in the early 80's. I hunted whitetail, antelope and I do have an attachment to it. One of the other 3 rifles I made was a 270 Win also on a Interarms Mk10 with claro walnut stock that I gifted to my Dad.

Fast forward to 2015 , my dad knowing he was nearing the end of his life here on earth gifted that 270 back to me. He passed in 2016. I then gifted the rifle to what I call my un-official adopted son. He is younger than I , met him when he was 21 I was in my 30's, his father was a good man but was very hard on my friend so I somewhat took him under my wing and we have remained good friends to this day.

My friend is somewhat sentimental in ways and when I invited him to come up and deer hunt my property and stay for the weekend in my outfitters tent for the fall rifle season, mid nov, he told me this. Sounds great, but you have to promise me you will finish your 243 , I will bring your dad's 270 and both rifles will be together for the hunt! The last time that happened was 1986, I met my dad out in WY for a antelope hunt.

Not a great picture of Dad's 270. Dad would have been happy to have known that my friend is loving the rifle and using it!
Image.jpg

Last edited:

rc51stierhoff

Equipment
B2650, MX6000, Ford 8N, (BX sold)
Sep 13, 2021
Ohio
What is the goal of this stock / rifle project? ☕

There is a bit of a back story to this rifle and the reason I got off my lazy butt to finish it.

As mentioned in my first post this was one of three rifle stocks I had to build when I was at Colorado School of trades in the early 80's. I hunted whitetail, antelope and I do have an attachment to it. One of the other 3 rifles I made was a 270 Win also on a Interarms Mk10 with claro walnut stock that I gifted to my Dad.

Fast forward to 2015 , my dad knowing he was nearing the end of his life here on earth gifted that 270 back to me. He passed in 2016. I then gifted the rifle to what I call my un-official adopted son. He is younger than I , met him when he was 21 I was in my 30's, his father was a good man but was very hard on my friend so I somewhat took him under my wing and we have remained good friends to this day.

My friend is somewhat sentimental in ways and when I invited him to come up and deer hunt my property and stay for the weekend in my outfitters tent for the fall rifle season, mid nov, he told me this. Sounds great, but you have to promise me you will finish your 243 , I will bring your dad's 270 and both rifles will be together for the hunt! The last time that happened was 1986, I met my dad out in WY for a antelope hunt.

Not a great picture of Dad's 270. Dad would have been happy to have known that my friend is loving the rifle and using it!
View attachment 135287
That’s great! I hope you two get two wall hangers on the same day. Good luck with it this season.!