Checkering a gunstock is not like riding a bicycle! ARRRG.

ken erickson

Equipment
B7100 hst, 2650 front mount snowblower, L2501 hst qa loader
Nov 21, 2010
Waupaca Wisconsin
I had gotten pretty good at hand checkering back in my gunshop, gunsmithing days. Recently I had decided to rework my second built rifle stock when I attended Colo. School of Trades, circa 1981. Part of the course requirements was to build a minimum of 3 rifle stocks from blanks, all hand inletted, no rough turning or duplicating allowed.

The rifle in question is a Interarms MK10 barreled action in .243 Win with black walnut stock. Like many inexperienced stock makers I left too much wood though out. Fast forward 40 years and I decided to slim the stock down and re-checker.

This is the first panel which would not pass muster if I was charging a customer. I knew I was out of practice, its been 23 years since I did any gunstock checkering, but Jeez, I was having trouble getting even spaced lines with my vintage MMC power checkering head. Come to find out a special tiny screw that holds a miniature bearing had come un-staked and allowed the carbide cutter axle to disengage from the bearing. After fixing the problem the next panel is coming along much better.
IMG_0339.jpeg

IMG_0338.jpeg
IMG_0345.JPG

IMG_0348.jpeg

IMG_0351.jpeg

• Love
Reactions: 6 users

85Hokie

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
BX-25D ,PTB. Under Armor, '90&'92-B7100HST's, '06 BX1850 FEL
Jul 13, 2013
Bedford - VA
Brother - you get an A+ for the grade - looks awesome !

Reactions: 1 users

D2Cat

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L305DT, B7100HST, TG1860, TG1860D, L4240
Mar 27, 2014
40 miles south of Kansas City
Ken, I know nothing about gun stocks, what i do know is that for several years what you show in pictures of work done, it is always detailed and excellent. Your design and build of the mechanism to get you on your tractor is tops though!!!!!

Reactions: 1 user

ken erickson

Equipment
B7100 hst, 2650 front mount snowblower, L2501 hst qa loader
Nov 21, 2010
Waupaca Wisconsin
Thanks for comments guys! Much appreciated.

My seat lift has worked really well over the years and was a fun build! I am bringing the tractor back to my house after deer season and going to modify my hand control for the HST and give it a good wash and wax. First one since ownership.

Side two of the grip is done, went much better than the first. I am glad I can not see both at the same time! LOL. Not sure if I am going to do a wrap around on the forend or two separate panels.
IMG_0380.JPG

IMG_0394.jpeg

Reactions: 2 users

Tughill Tom

Equipment
B3200
Dec 23, 2013
Turin, NY
Thanks for comments guys! Much appreciated.

My seat lift has worked really well over the years and was a fun build! I am bringing the tractor back to my house after deer season and going to modify my hand control for the HST and give it a good wash and wax. First one since ownership.

Side two of the grip is done, went much better than the first. I am glad I can not see both at the same time! LOL. Not sure if I am going to do a wrap around on the forend or two separate panels.
View attachment 135233

View attachment 135234
I vote for the full wrap.

jaxs

Equipment
B1750HST
Jun 22, 2023
Texas
Very nice. Around 40 years ago my brother and I harvested Black Walnut logs from Granddad's farm. On advice of a cabinet maker we discarded stump and roots as well as log above base of first limb. We found out after the fact that figure like in your buttstock comes from stump and where limbs junction with trunk. I've built and hired people to build items I hope to be family heirlooms and I still have a couple hundred board feet. The best compliment I've ever received was when I overheard my daughter-in-law tell her neighbor if she could only save one tangible item should her house burn,"it is my hope chest". 😢
I haven't tools nor skill for checkering but have imo improved stocks with what I call stippling. Draw outer perimeter of design on graph paper with suitable size squares. Tape paper to stock then use lite hammer and punch with parallelogram or rhombus ground on point to dimple line intersections. By coloring in squares of paper interesting patterns are possible by not stippling the colored blocks. Kind of shade tree or hillbilly when compared to your checkering but doesn't require near the skill or tools. Have you seen result of this procedure and care to comment on it? 🤔