Open Cage Style Four Post ROPS

g_man

Equipment
L3010DT, M5640SUD, Dresser TD7G
Feb 3, 2023
NE Vermont
We are getting a MX5400 HST ROPS and we want to DYI some additional attachments. Looking at putting a Canopy with extra Front ROPS Posts mainly for attaching LED Lights, and a Handel to climb onto the Tractor. The Tractor has a Two Post ROPS on the back of each side of the driver seat. Has anyone made extra Two Front Posts connecting to the bottom frame and connecting at the top under the Canopy with square metal tubing to the top of the rear ROPS.

Like an open Cage ROPS with (4) posts. Anyone Make something like this???

Thanks.
Somehow I missed your post - just got back from a trip out west to visit our daughter and family. I use my M5640 in the woods and built a cage with limb risers/sweeps. I wanted it to be bolt-on and removable. I used 1-1/2 X 3/16 square tube.

24_4_18-1.JPG

Some pictures of the build - Two short uprights in the rear clamp onto the ROPS and there is a bolt through a hole in the ROPS hinge. The front uprights bolt onto a standoff on the loader frame.

P1010176.JPG

The standoffs bolted through existing holes and behind the loader frame cross brace.

P1010105.JPG

The cage weldment before the sweeps were added.

P1010191.JPG

P1010196.JPG

Might give you some ideas to think about.

gg

Reactions: 2 users

rc51stierhoff

Equipment
B2650, MX6000, Ford 8N, (BX sold)
Sep 13, 2021
Ohio
Somehow I missed your post - just got back from a trip out west to visit our daughter and family. I use my M5640 in the woods and built a cage with limb risers/sweeps. I wanted it to be bolt-on and removable. I used 1-1/2 X 3/16 square tube.

View attachment 134622

Some pictures of the build - Two short uprights in the rear clamp onto the ROPS and there is a bolt through a hole in the ROPS hinge. The front uprights bolt onto a standoff on the loader frame.

View attachment 134623

The standoffs bolted through existing holes and behind the loader frame cross brace.

View attachment 134624

View attachment 134625

View attachment 134626

gg
Great job.

i would have bought that with the machine if it were an option…I am sure others would too. Very nice job!👍

mcmxi

Lifetime Member

Equipment
***Current*** M6060HDC, MX6000HSTC & GL7000 ***Sold*** MX6000HST & BX25TLB
Feb 9, 2021
NW Montana

View attachment 134622

View attachment 134623

View attachment 134624

View attachment 134625

View attachment 134626

gg
Great work for sure, and one cool-looking and functional tractor.(y)

g_man

Equipment
Feb 3, 2023
NE Vermont
Re: My cage on the M5640 above - I used 2 X 3/16 tube not 1-1/2 X 3/16 as stated. Memory lapse !!

gg

Coyote Shadow Tracker

Equipment
MX5400, LA1065, BH92 Hy Thumb
Aug 6, 2024
Georgia

View attachment 134622

View attachment 134623

View attachment 134624

View attachment 134625

View attachment 134626

gg
Real nice job!

Thanks

Coyote Shadow Tracker

Equipment
Aug 6, 2024
Georgia

View attachment 134622

View attachment 134623

View attachment 134624

View attachment 134625

View attachment 134626

gg
Going to make something just like this. Did you also put a canopy on the tractor?
Thanks much looks GREAT!!!!!

g_man

Equipment
Feb 3, 2023
NE Vermont
Going to make something just like this. Did you also put a canopy on the tractor?
Thanks much looks GREAT!!!!!

I put a piece of plywood on top as a temporary weather cover. That was over 3 years ago and some how it is still there. I've seen people use an old golf cart top or a piece cut from a p/u bed liner.

22_10_20-6.jpg

gg

g_man

Equipment
Feb 3, 2023
NE Vermont
I see you also put a Chainsaw Holder on also. Going to make a "Cage" similar to yours. Might put an 1/8" sheet steel on top for a canopy.
That was my original thought also. But then a couple years ago the price of steel shot way up and I put it off. I like the idea of something solid over head.

Over time, years, I have improved the tractor set-up for the woods. The cage was the last thing I did.

I carry two saws. My small light weight limbing and general go-to saw on the back of the left FEL tower so it doesn't stick out.

SawScabbard3.JPG

and my big saw in back.

AxHanger1.JPG

gas and bar oil on the right side.

GasOil-3.jpg

I carry a cant hook/peavy and snatch block on the winch.

20_1_9(1).JPG

gg

Reactions: 1 user

Coyote Shadow Tracker

Equipment
Aug 6, 2024
Georgia
That was my original thought also. But then a couple years ago the price of steel shot way up and I put it off. I like the idea of something solid over head.

Over time, years, I have improved the tractor set-up for the woods. The cage was the last thing I did.

I carry two saws. My small light weight limbing and general go-to saw on the back of the left FEL tower so it doesn't stick out.

View attachment 134647

and my big saw in back.

View attachment 134649

gas and bar oil on the right side.

View attachment 134650

I carry a cant hook/peavy and snatch block on the winch.

View attachment 134651

gg
NICE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Henro

Equipment
B2910, BX2200, KX41-2V mini Ex.
May 24, 2019
North of Pittsburgh PA
I built something about 15 years ago maybe, or probably 18 years ago.

My goal was just to protect myself if a branch fell down or something like that, and also to kind of hold the tractor upright if it wanted to tip over next to a tree that was on my side of the ROPS.

I used expanded metal and also build a guard for my hood. It possible to walk from the loader onto the hood and then up onto the canopy or whatever you call the top level. I put a piece of plywood over the top as a test and couldn’t stand the way it reflected the sound back down, so I ended up just putting a piece of cloth and it works quite well as a canopy to keep the sun off.

My design angles down to deflect branches upwards, and tapers in at the front a little bit too give me a little more clearance. If I’m going past a tree the ground is angled a little bit.

Also the vertical uprights in the front work very well as grab handles getting on and off the tractor when needed.

IMG_1999.jpeg

IMG_1995.jpeg

• Wow
Reactions: 2 users

fried1765

Equipment
Kubota L48 TLB, Ford 1920 FEL, Ford 8N, SCAG Liberty Z, Gravely Pro.
Nov 14, 2019
Eastham, Ma

My goal was just to protect myself if a branch fell down or something like that, and also to kind of hold the tractor upright if it wanted to tip over next to a tree that was on my side of the ROPS.

I used expanded metal and also build a guard for my hood. It possible to walk from the loader onto the hood and then up onto the canopy or whatever you call the top level. I put a piece of plywood over the top as a test and couldn’t stand the way it reflected the sound back down, so I ended up just putting a piece of cloth and it works quite well as a canopy to keep the sun off.

My design angles down to deflect branches upwards, and tapers in at the front a little bit too give me a little more clearance. If I’m going past a tree the ground is angled a little bit.

Also the vertical uprights in the front work very well as grab handles getting on and off the tractor when needed.

View attachment 134675

View attachment 134676
Looks like it might be good for clearing land mines.😄

Reactions: 1 user

Coyote Shadow Tracker

Equipment
Aug 6, 2024
Georgia

View attachment 134675

View attachment 134676
Real nice!!!

Coyote Shadow Tracker

Equipment
Aug 6, 2024
Georgia
You’ll love the MX. Will the BH be on all the time? They are very light in the rear. I have filled tires, 3 sets of wheel weights and usually a 700# box blade or 990# tiller, and can lift a tire with ease.

Where in Georgia are you?
Sorry for the late reply. New to this Forum. I belong to the CTOA for our Jinma 354 Smart Track Tractor. Now that we are getting a Kubota we need to be on this site.
We are in Social Circle, GA. May keep the BH 92 on most of the time after cutting down al lot of trees to dig out the stumps. Having the rear R14T tires filled with water/antifreeze for weight.
Plan on putting a lot of DYI projects on this MX5400. Open FOUR Post ROPS Cage, Canopy, LED Lights, Grill Guard, Chainsaw Holder, 1/4" & 3/8" Clevis, Trailer Hitch Bolt on Plates to the FEL Bucket with a bolt on bottom blade to the bucket, Third Function Valve Kit, Hydraulic Thumb for the BH. Have a 6' Rock Rake. and bucket Forks.
Looking to get a DEAL ON a 6' PTO Tiller, FEL Grapple, QD Forks and maybe a PTO Chipper and Brushog.
Thanks