Educate me on how to pick a grapple

D2Cat

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L305DT, B7100HST, TG1860, TG1860D, L4240
Mar 27, 2014
40 miles south of Kansas City
Yes, he made a video of bending his grapple. His treatment of the grapple does not indicate it's necessarily a bad product. He's butting trees with it!

Sidekick

Equipment
Kioti CK2620SE cab, RTV-X, BX3260, Z726XKW-3-60, Deere 4100
Jul 29, 2023
N.Y,
Yes, he made a video of bending his grapple. His treatment of the grapple does not indicate it's necessarily a bad product. He's butting trees with it!
It didn't look like much abuse compared to some videos of other manufacturers I just watched. I guess some are stronger then others.

D2Cat

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L305DT, B7100HST, TG1860, TG1860D, L4240
Mar 27, 2014
40 miles south of Kansas City
It didn't look like much abuse compared to some videos of other manufacturers I just watched. I guess some are stronger then others.
If an operator uses a grapple like he is at about 4:00 mark I don't see how that can not be called abuse of the implement (and the tractor). To each his own, I guess.

Elliott in GA

Equipment
LX 2610SU w/535,LP RCR1860,FDR1660,SGC0554,FSP500, DD BBX60005
Mar 10, 2021
North Georgia
It is important to remember that no matter how tough your grapple is - your loader and hydraulic system are limiting factors. You might not damage your grapple with abusive use, but you are probably hurting your loader and hydraulic system.

FWIW, I have found my clam style grapple very useful for picking up cut brush. You come in from overhead with the grapple open, and then you pin and compact the brush against the ground. Also, you can use a similar technique to rake down head high multiflora rose bushes (too dense to back over with a rotary cutter), and then you can put the loader in float to drag out the bushes.

Reactions: 1 users

PoTreeBoy

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L35 Ford 3930
Mar 24, 2020
WestTn/NoMs
If an operator uses a grapple like he is at about 4:00 mark I don't see how that can not be called abuse of the implement (and the tractor). To each his own, I guess.
I agree. I've pushed some trees over with the L35, using the bucket, but not that big. He's got more weight in that MX5200 than I have. I think even EA warned against abusing their lids.

Reactions: 1 user

Sidekick

Equipment
Jul 29, 2023
N.Y,
I agree. I've pushed some trees over with the L35, using the bucket, but not that big. He's got more weight in that MX5200 than I have. I think even EA warned against abusing their lids.
That bottom round looks undersized compared to the other grapples I watched videos about. The top tube appears smaller also without gussets. Trying to cut weight probably means they are a little more fragile. The guy with the Kioti one I watched showed off center clamping will stress them. They shouldn't bend but rather flex some. A 2 piece top clamp looks the safest to me now.

Siesta Sundance

Equipment
L305DT, MX 5200, SVL 75-2, (Sold M7060))
Oct 23, 2022
youtube.com
That bottom round looks undersized compared to the other grapples I watched videos about. The top tube appears smaller also without gussets. Trying to cut weight probably means they are a little more fragile. The guy with the Kioti one I watched showed off center clamping will stress them. They shouldn't bend but rather flex some. A 2 piece top clamp looks the safest to me now.
Idigtexas makes excellent attachments, all American Made, not sure if they sell a small enough grapple for your needs.

PoTreeBoy

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L35 Ford 3930
Mar 24, 2020
WestTn/NoMs
Maybe so. One reason I ended up with the LP is that I could see it in the 'flesh' and compare it with others. It has AR tines that are thicker than the 0660 and stronger overall. I didn't want to spend $4k, but it's done and paid for. Pushing against the lid would tend to overextend the cylinders. If I was going to try (probably not) to push a tree over, I'd clamp a sizable log in it to transmit the force to the back tines and frame.

PoTreeBoy

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L35 Ford 3930
Mar 24, 2020
WestTn/NoMs
Avoid any grapple made from heavy mild steel, lacking full gusseting on tines, and anything with un-greasable pins or pins retained with hairpins. Avoid designs using bolts as pins and that don't have full bushings around each pin joint.
I agree, but the LP SGC1060 I bought has non-lube floating pins with hairpin clips. One of these days I may cross-drill them and add bolt tabs like the main pivots.

Bmyers

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Grand L3560 with LA805 loader, EA 55" Wicked Grapple, SBX72 BB, LP 1272 mower
May 27, 2019
Southern Illinois
20211106_111620.jpg

20201221_113921.jpg

20201128_092843.jpg

Resized_20200903_171724.jpg

I love my clam shell grapple. I have used it for moving logs, brush, old equipment, tearing down buildings, and it has worked wonderfully.

Regardless of what style grapple you decide on, invest in a grill guard to save you from some costly repairs down the road.

Resized_20220703_135329.jpeg

Reactions: 2 users

Yotekiller

Equipment
Kubota L2502, LP 60" BB, LP pallet forks, 60" KK Tiller, 55" HSI root grapple
Sep 29, 2023
Southern Indiana
I purchased a Homestead Implements Pinnacle grapple and I absolutely love it. It's extremely well made and heavy duty while still being lightweight. But it takes around 5 weeks to get one, or at least it did a few months ago when I ordered mine. Another company I would look at is Catawba attachments. They seem pretty well made too and they're shipping immediately.

JimmyJazz

Equipment
B2601
Aug 8, 2020
Pittsburgh, Pa
Prior to Everything Attachments (EA) more recent financial/legal problems many here would have been extolling the virtues of their "wicked grapple". Many believe it to be the "gold standard" . My understanding is that they are back up and running and are filling or have refunded prior orders. Check out their website. I dealt with them in the past and was very satisfied. Made in America. Good luck.

NCL4701

Equipment
L4701, T2290, WC68, grapple, BB1572, Farmi W50R, Howes 500, 16kW IMD gen, WG24
Apr 27, 2020
Central Piedmont, NC
Hadn’t thought about it until the abuse discussion here, but possibly that’s another advantage of the twin lid grapples?

I push trees over with mine pretty routinely. I don’t push with the lids. I push with the lower teeth in the center in between the lids and keep the curl such that it’s pushing pretty much in line with the loader boom. If the tree is big enough to span the gap between the lids, my little grapple and tractor ain’t pushing it anywhere, so avoiding the lids isn’t an issue. At least for mine, I don’t think the lids are really designed to be pushed on.

Edit: And maybe consider coming up with a way to lock the SSQA latches down. I recently bent my SSQA plate due to a limb poking through the back of the grapple, unlatching one side, and the grapple coming half off while loaded pretty heavily. I’m sure there are numerous solutions. This was mine.

IMG_2708.jpeg

Last edited:
Reactions: 2 users

Sidekick

Equipment
Jul 29, 2023
N.Y,
Hadn’t thought about it until the abuse discussion here, but possibly that’s another advantage of the twin lid grapples?

I push trees over with mine pretty routinely. I don’t push with the lids. I push with the lower teeth in the center in between the lids and keep the curl such that it’s pushing pretty much in line with the loader boom. If the tree is big enough to span the gap between the lids, my little grapple and tractor ain’t pushing it anywhere, so avoiding the lids isn’t an issue. At least for mine, I don’t think the lids are really designed to be pushed on.

Edit: And maybe consider coming up with a way to lock the SSQA latches down. I recently bent my SSQA plate due to a limb poking through the back of the grapple, unlatching one side, and the grapple coming half off while loaded pretty heavily. I’m sure there are numerous solutions. This was mine.

View attachment 134343
Thanks for that safety cable idea. I just ordered a roll of 1/16 cable, sleeves,and ferrules. The 1/8 I have seems too stiff.

Sidekick

Equipment
Jul 29, 2023
N.Y,
Thanks for all the input. After looking at different options from many manufacturers I decided to go with the Catawba 55 that appears to be the best built lightweight clam style grapple. I am impressed by the construction and extra center hinge. The additional rake bars are going to help my needs along with strenghtening it and cylinder shielding looks amazing. The tripled root teeth shouldn't bend and it has the built in stand feet I was told to look for. All at 300 pounds 😲. In stock and ready to ship to my local terminal at competitive prices . Made and designed in the USA. I'll do an update when it arrives with pics. I told them don't rush because my tractor is still almost 3 weeks out. Never realized their are so many minor differences on grapples and this one seems the best for my needs. This is the one https://cattachments.com/product/ca...achment-for-tractor-with-high-strength-steel/

Yotekiller

Equipment
Kubota L2502, LP 60" BB, LP pallet forks, 60" KK Tiller, 55" HSI root grapple
Sep 29, 2023
Southern Indiana
Thanks for all the input. After looking at different options from many manufacturers I decided to go with the Catawba 55 that appears to be the best built lightweight clam style grapple. I am impressed by the construction and extra center hinge. The additional rake bars are going to help my needs along with strenghtening it and cylinder shielding looks amazing. The tripled root teeth shouldn't bend and it has the built in stand feet I was told to look for. All at 300 pounds 😲. In stock and ready to ship to my local terminal at competitive prices . Made and designed in the USA. I'll do an update when it arrives with pics. I told them don't rush because my tractor is still almost 3 weeks out. Never realized their are so many minor differences on grapples and this one seems the best for my needs. This is the one https://cattachments.com/product/ca...achment-for-tractor-with-high-strength-steel/

I looked hard at the Catawba before I ordered the HSI Pinnacle grapple. After reviewing the specs of each in great detail, I chose the Pinnacle as it was a little heavier built IMO. The Pinnacle and the Catawba weigh almost the same with the Catawba having that "extra" center hinge. I think the weight offset comes from the little heavier steel in the Pinnacle grapple. I didn't and still don't see the need for the extra hinge after what I have put my Pinnacle through. I think either is a very solid grapple and a guy couldn't go wrong with either one.

The built in stand feet are a very nice feature on my Pinnacle as well. You will certainly appreciate them on the Catawba. The cylinder shields on my Pinnacle was also something I really liked. There is also a channel for the hoses to run in that keep them well protected from damage.

I researched grapples for months before I bit the bullet. These two were my top contenders.

Sidekick

Equipment
Jul 29, 2023
N.Y,
I looked hard at the Catawba before I ordered the HSI Pinnacle grapple. After reviewing the specs of each in great detail, I chose the Pinnacle as it was a little heavier built IMO. The Pinnacle and the Catawba weigh almost the same with the Catawba having that "extra" center hinge. I think the weight offset comes from the little heavier steel in the Pinnacle grapple. I didn't and still don't see the need for the extra hinge after what I have put my Pinnacle through. I think either is a very solid grapple and a guy couldn't go wrong with either one.

The built in stand feet are a very nice feature on my Pinnacle as well. You will certainly appreciate them on the Catawba. The cylinder shields on my Pinnacle was also something I really liked. There is also a channel for the hoses to run in that keep them well protected from damage.

I researched grapples for months before I bit the bullet. These two were my top contenders.
After watching videos showing lids bent in the center on a couple different brands I decided that can't happen with the 6 top ribs on the Catawba and went with that. Also that third hinge will help some with blocking branches from hitting the hood in my mind like a double cover does. Completely burried cylinders and plumbing was another feature. The tip area of the lid is basically what sold me. The serrated cross braces will make it easy to rake and cut shallow roots. I think both are good choices also but just liked the engineering behind the Catawba better. I will soon find out.

PoTreeBoy

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L35 Ford 3930
Mar 24, 2020
WestTn/NoMs
I guarantee you'll like it.