Educate me on how to pick a grapple

Sidekick

Equipment
Kioti CK2620SE cab, RTV-X, BX3260, Z726XKW-3-60, Deere 4100
Jul 29, 2023
N.Y,
I have a tractor on order with 3rd function because I need something to help me move brush and clean up. Started looking for a grapple to buy and found a couple different designs but no real explanation of what's best for what.

My needs are mostly cleaning up bushes cut with a brush cutter and polesaw, cleaning up my woods that is now littered by dead blown over ashes, and removing wild rose and berry bushes that always make me bleed. Would also hold up logs for blocking firewood.

I see there are curved ones with giant mouths and short root catchers along with some that have more of a bucket shape with a smaller top clamp with long flat digging areas. Just wondering what members like best and if any brands stick out as good or bad. Another thing is weight. Some heavier ones are 800 pounds. My loader can only pickup 1900 pounds and thinking any grapple over 500 pounds and 60 inches wide may be overkill for my machine.

I have never used one before so don't really know where to start.
Thanks.

Reactions: 1 user

PoTreeBoy

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L35 Ford 3930
Mar 24, 2020
WestTn/NoMs
I have a tractor on order with 3rd function because I need something to help me move brush and clean up. Started looking for a grapple to buy and found a couple different designs but no real explanation of what's best for what.

My needs are mostly cleaning up bushes cut with a brush cutter and polesaw, cleaning up my woods that is now littered by dead blown over ashes, and removing wild rose and berry bushes that always make me bleed. Would also hold up logs for blocking firewood.

I see there are curved ones with giant mouths and short root catchers along with some that have more of a bucket shape with a smaller top clamp with long flat digging areas. Just wondering what members like best and if any brands stick out as good or bad. Another thing is weight. Some heavier ones are 800 pounds. My loader can only pickup 1900 pounds and thinking any grapple over 500 pounds and 60 inches wide may be overkill for my machine.

Thanks.
I'm not sure how much my rambling will help. My usage sounds similar to yours. Mostly, I'm carrying saplings I cut down to dump. The other day, I cut a couple of 8-10" pines that were encroaching on a trail and needed to clear them off the road. And the power company did ROW maintenance which left small trees and branches to clean up.

I have a Landpride SGC1060, which is a claw style. Landpride also makes the root style, as well as various other styles. They also make different grades, like they do with other implements. I was on the border between the 0660 and the 1060, which weighs just under 400 pounds. I think the 0660 would have been sufficient, but went heavier to make sure. One advantage it has is the tines are closer together so I think I could pick up and place rip-rap if I need to.

To use the claw style, I roll the grapple down and then start closing the lid. You really need to lower the grapple, roll it back and close the lid simultaneously. This would be easier with a button on the stick instead of my second stick (and with more practice).

I like that I can rake, forward or backwards, with it. But I could carry more saplings and logs with longer bottom tines.

Reactions: 1 users

Siesta Sundance

Equipment
L305DT, MX 5200, SVL 75-2, (Sold M7060))
Oct 23, 2022
youtube.com

Thanks.
Stay away from EA.

In what you described for use, a land pride SGC1060 type grapple would probably best.

Donystoy

Lifetime Member

Equipment
LX2610HSDCC, B/H, Loader, plus numerous other attachments. B7200 sold
Dec 10, 2013
Binbrook, Ontario
Love the grapple that I bought last year. Works great as a rake as well as picking up logs and brush. Kioti model KG2054. $2200 Canadian loonies up here. Considerably less than any other grapples that I looked at yet built very sturdy.

Attachments

Reactions: 1 users

Sidekick

Equipment
Jul 29, 2023
N.Y,
Love the grapple that I bought last year. Works great as a rake as well as picking up logs and brush. Kioti model KG2054. $2200 Canadian loonies up here. Considerably less than any other grapples that I looked at yet built very sturdy.
My dealer has them but for $2500 it didn't look very strong to me and I didn't think it would grab much. Those teeth stick down enough to push the small roots away? He also has a 4060 I think that's just bigger and heavier but over $3k. The prices of everything are crazy down here also. So it looks like everyone uses a single top clamp and not split.

Donystoy

Lifetime Member

Equipment
LX2610HSDCC, B/H, Loader, plus numerous other attachments. B7200 sold
Dec 10, 2013
Binbrook, Ontario
I
My dealer has them but for $2500 it didn't look very strong to me and I didn't think it would grab much. Those teeth stick down enough to push the small roots away? He also has a 4060 I think that's just bigger and heavier but over $3k. The prices of everything are crazy down here also. So it looks like everyone uses a single top clamp and not split.
I have had no issues with it. Tines are properly gusseted and have even picked up heavy bolders.

Last edited:

NCL4701

Equipment
L4701, T2290, WC68, grapple, BB1572, Farmi W50R, Howes 500, 16kW IMD gen, WG24
Apr 27, 2020
Central Piedmont, NC
I like the twin lid for holding odd shaped loads, particularly when the odd shaped load consists of multiple items. I also like the long bottom style for carrying stuff: mostly brush and logs in my case.

I don’t much like it for root raking. It will do it but it has to be rolled forward so far to engage the lower jaw teeth the curl cylinders are extended pretty far and I just don’t much like getting after it like you have to ripping roots with it curled that far. May be wrong, but I’d lean toward a more vertical model for much root raking. I use either the rippers on the boxblade for root ripping or an old three tine root ripper that goes on the 3 point if I need to rip roots, but I don’t do much of that.

I suspect you’ll be pleased with whatever you get. Seems like most folk’s favorite grapple is whichever one they have.

Reactions: 3 users

rc51stierhoff

Equipment
B2650, MX6000, Ford 8N, (BX sold)
Sep 13, 2021
Ohio
I’ve got two types…LP 0660 (clam style rake)for my B, and more recently an EA long bottom twin lid for MX.

the LP is great in a clam style, I’d be looking to see that it has grease zerks and also kick stands to hold it standing up if that matters to you. the LP model has both of those features. It’s great for smaller stuff that you want to crush like brush and it really shines if you want to rack debris…the clam opens up and it’s oriented in a much more favorable way compared to a long bottom for raking IMO. However its not ideal for a log that is not straight or has a fork in it (odd shapes)…the larger the logs you try to hold the more likely it will drop one end if it is not real straight or too much taper.

The twin lid holds large and odd shapes much better, but it rakes the ground not so well…the long bottom sort of gets in the way int the orientation of it and the layout of the twin lids. The twin lids though let you grab odd shapes and the long bottom support the debris really well when moving.

It sort of comes down to how you plan to use….mainly for brush clam, style IMO…moving logs or odd shapes I think the long bottom supports it better and the twin lid holds odd shapes better.

other things to consider beyond zerks (any type) and kick stands (clam style) would be length of the hoses, location, how they are protected along with the cylinders and the orientation of the couplers to fit your machines.

Just my two cents. Good luck.

Attachments

Reactions: 3 users

Sidekick

Equipment
Jul 29, 2023
N.Y,
What tractor have you ordered?
Shhush 🧐 . I ordered the other orange Kioti CK2620SE cab model. Wanted Kubota but nothing in my price range that would suit my needs. I wanted a 4000 pound tractor to be able to handle a ditch bank mower that had a cab because of ticks and snow with a comfortable seat. This filled all my needs with cast axles, dual rear remotes, 3rd function, Bluetooth stereo, rim guard, 19.5 inch r14 tires, 1900 pound loader lift ? and dual pedals that I really like for under $30k with rebates. I hope it lasts but the dealer seems nice and and will fix it under the 6 year warranty should there be issues. A fairly simple mechanical engine. Lots of them in our are now without issues. Wish Kubota made a factory cab l2502 but they don't. I do still have other Kubotas 😉.

Last edited:

Sidekick

Equipment
Jul 29, 2023
N.Y,
I’ve got two types…LP 0660 (clam style rake)for my B, and more recently an EA long bottom twin lid for MX.

the LP is great in a clam style, I’d be looking to see that it has grease zerks and also kick stands to hold it standing up if that matters to you. the LP model has both of those features. It’s great for smaller stuff that you want to crush like brush and it really shines if you want to rack debris…the clam opens up and it’s oriented in a much more favorable way compared to a long bottom for raking IMO. However its not ideal for a log that is not straight or has a fork in it (odd shapes)…the larger the logs you try to hold the more likely it will drop one end if it is not real straight or too much taper.

The twin lid holds large and odd shapes much better, but it rakes the ground not so well…the long bottom sort of gets in the way int the orientation of it and the layout of the twin lids. The twin lids though let you grab odd shapes and the long bottom support the debris really well when moving.

It sort of comes down to how you plan to use….mainly for brush clam, style IMO…moving logs or odd shapes I think the long bottom supports it better and the twin lid holds odd shapes better.

other things to consider beyond zerks (any type) and kick stands (clam style) would be length of the hoses, location, how they are protected along with the cylinders and the orientation of the couplers to fit your machines.

Thanks. I think the clam style may be what I need. Looks like it would be a good idea to put some kind of protector in the grill area the way branches can stick through. Although both would be nice to have. That flat bottom looks nice for blocking wood.

PoTreeBoy

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L35 Ford 3930
Mar 24, 2020
WestTn/NoMs
Just a few more ramblings, prompted by above postings
* You'll like whatever you get. Grapple was an improvement over forks were a big improvement over bucket was a big improvement over manual.
* The SGC1060 was $4,000 at two dealers 100 miles apart. The SGC0660 was $2,800 AIR. I think it, or the Kioti, would be adequate on your tractor. As I said, I think it would have been ok on my L35, but the L35 is beefier than the average 35 hp tractor. The 1060 is more solid on the back to block brush poking through, but you'd probably still want a brush guard.
* The 1060 tines are close enough together I could probably pick up leaves without spilling many, if I ever needed to. Other times, you might want wider spaced tines, to minimize soil pickup. Just something to consider.
* I looked at two other makes close to the 0660. The Bad Boy was cheaper, but just didn't seem well built. The other was from a regional maker, about the same price as the 0660. The main thing against it was the main pivots. It pivoted on bolts, didn't have much bearing area, and wasn't greasable.

PoTreeBoy

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L35 Ford 3930
Mar 24, 2020
WestTn/NoMs
Shhush 🧐 . I ordered the other orange Kioti CK2620SE cab model. Wanted Kubota but nothing in my price range that would suit my needs. I wanted a 4000 pound tractor to be able to handle a ditch bank mower that had a cab because of ticks and snow with a comfortable seat. This filled all my needs with cast axles, dual rear remotes, 3rd function, Bluetooth stereo, rim guard, 24 inch r14 tires, 1900 pound loader lift ? and dual pedals that I really like for under $30k with rebates. I hope it lasts but the dealer seems nice and and will fix it under the 6 year warranty should there be issues. A fairly simple mechanical engine. Lots of them in our are now without issues. Wish Kubota made a factory cab l2502 but they don't. I do still have other Kubotas 😉.
No apology necessary. I looked at the Kioti's while I was at the New Holland dealer a couple of years ago and was favorably impressed. We've had Allis Chalmers, Massey Ferguson, Ford, New Holland and Kubota. Dad even had a Farmall F20 before I came along. They all got the job done.

Sidekick

Equipment
Jul 29, 2023
N.Y,

Runs With Scissors

Equipment
L2501 TLB , Grappel, Brush Hog, Box Blade, Ballast box, Forks, Tiller, PH digger
Jan 25, 2023
Michigan
I have an HLA and like it.

2 of the zerks are hard to get to, but it's not that bad.

I would most likely get a "Dual lid" model if I had to do it over again though.

mikester

Equipment
M59 TLB
Oct 21, 2017
Canada
www.divergentstuff.ca

Good post and good photos.

I've used both the clam shell single lid root rake (my first grapple) and the long bottom twin lid (my current one) and have similar needs and usage to the OP.

For grabbing logs, brush and rocks the twin lid long bottom is superior to my old clam shell even though the clamshell had a wider opening. The long bottom twin lid keeps the brush further away from your radiator grill...speaking from experience here.

The clam shell is good for grabbing single logs shaped like telephone poles that are straight and branchless and holds a single log tighter. It doesn't grab bunches of logs or odd shaped logs very well.

I won't go back to the clamshell design. I have lift capacity so weight is less of a concern.

Avoid any grapple made from heavy mild steel, lacking full gusseting on tines, and anything with un-greasable pins or pins retained with hairpins. Avoid designs using bolts as pins and that don't have full bushings around each pin joint.

Reactions: 5 users

Dcguinn

Equipment
BX2380, LA344, 54” MMM, 26BX Bagger, Tiller RTA1242, Forks PFL1242, Grapple mine
Sep 1, 2021
Ellijay GA
I have a BX, so needed lightweight. What I found was heavy, expensive and back ordered. So, I built this one out of 1/4” mild steel. It’s a bit of a rock bucket and grapple both. Bend it occasionally and 10# hammer fixes it up. Weighs 156#. Great for logs and brush without dismounting. A larger opening might be nice, but my hydraulic geometry prevented. I may shorten the top tynes as they overlap a litte. LP 3rd function is great. Hard to go wrong Whatever you pick.

Attachments

Reactions: 2 users

OntheRidge

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Kubota L47 TLB, Homestead 55" grapple, LP 1684 rear blade, WR Long 84" snowplow
Nov 1, 2020
Thanks. They look high quality and made about 3 hours away from me. I may try the nice grill guard insert they make first. They want money upfront before starting production like that EA did scares me some.
Understand totally, fwiw I have made 3 purchases from them with no issue. And military discount. Good luck!

Sidekick

Equipment
Jul 29, 2023
N.Y,
Understand totally, fwiw I have made 3 purchases from them with no issue. And military discount. Good luck!
This just popped up in my youtube feed
That top flap really looks flimsy on the one I looked at