New Tractor Advice for a newbie please

DenmanBC

Equipment
Pending purchase
Aug 6, 2024
Coastal BC, Canada
Hello,

I have a 10 acre parcel in coastal BC with about 1/2 the acreage cleared. The 5 cleared acres quickly overgrows with brambles (blackberries), broom, and heavy grass. The land is undulating and gently sloped. There is almost no flat "lawn". My needs are primarily for brush and heavy grass cutting, fence mending, light tree clearing, light to medium landscaping, driveway maintenance, and general property upkeep. I outsource heavy logging or serious excavator work to locals with skills and equipment. Our local tractor dealer is Kubota. Current post Covid prices in Canadian dollars with Canadian taxes are horrifying. I am weighing a BX23S tractor loader backhoe plus brush hog VS a B2601HSD with loader backhoe and brush hog. The bigger machine with the extras listed is over $60,000 Canadian with taxes. The BX23S is a chunk less. Any advice or wisdom considering acreage and stated needs? Other than helping on a farm as a teenager I have no serious tractor maintenance skills (I do know how to use a grease gun)
Thanks

North Idaho Wolfman

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3450DT-GST, Woods FEL, B7100 HSD, FEL, 60" SB, 743 Bobcat with V2203, and more
Jun 9, 2013
Sandpoint, ID
Look at a fail mower over a brush hog for mowing, they work far better on brush and brambles.
When it comes to tractor for clearing and maintaining, bigger is better, look at a L2501 or L2502.

Reactions: 1 users

Mitjam

Equipment
M-108, M6-111, Lx3520, Rtv-520 and LandPride implements
Jan 14, 2013
Edmonton, Alberta, Canada
Hello,

I have a 10 acre parcel in coastal BC with about 1/2 the acreage cleared. The 5 cleared acres quickly overgrows with brambles (blackberries), broom, and heavy grass. The land is undulating and gently sloped. There is almost no flat "lawn". My needs are primarily for brush and heavy grass cutting, fence mending, light tree clearing, light to medium landscaping, driveway maintenance, and general property upkeep. I outsource heavy logging or serious excavator work to locals with skills and equipment. Our local tractor dealer is Kubota. Current post Covid prices in Canadian dollars with Canadian taxes are horrifying. I am weighing a BX23S tractor loader backhoe plus brush hog VS a B2601HSD with loader backhoe and brush hog. The bigger machine with the extras listed is over $60,000 Canadian with taxes. The BX23S is a chunk less. Any advice or wisdom considering acreage and stated needs? Other than helping on a farm as a teenager I have no serious tractor maintenance skills (I do know how to use a grease gun)
Thanks
Hi there. I do agree with North Idaho Wolfman, in the Kubota lineup the L would prob be your best choice. If you require a cab well you have the LX or grand L but tractor alone is gonna be mid 60’s to 80’s up here in Canada. I realize this is a Kubota focused forum but do you have any other dealers around you that sell other brands? Kioti gives you quite a bit of bang for your buck. also if your not in a huge hurry and are willing to drive there is some good deals actually on kijiji or Facebook marketplace of ppl selling there acreage or properties and getting rid of tractors and attachments.

Reactions: 1 user

PortTackFarm

Equipment
L3560 LE (ROP's) w/ LA805 FEL, LP RCF 2072, BB2572 and WoodMaxx WM-8H
Jul 2, 2021
The Ville and The Farm (KY)
I agree, bigger is better for what you're suggesting. I know what I'm going to suggest is pure blasphemy to some, but if costs are an issue, consider dropping the backhoe from your shopping list. Just plan to rent a mini excavator for the few times you'll need to do big backhoe digging. It'll do a much better job than the backhoe on the BX or B you're considering and the savings would allow you to purchase a larger more capable tractor.

Hkb82

Equipment
M7060, Ford 5600, can-am defender
Nov 17, 2021
Ontario Canada
The bx is a very capable little machine but probably not ideal size for what you’ve described. Maybe you could include the prices of both for people to see the difference in your area. If your gonna even think about the used market private sales as mentioned above with your limited experience aside from a grease gun lol find someone that can come with you and has some experience with tractors preferably Kubota. If it was me and your shoes, I’d definitely be looking for something bigger than a Bx. If the backhoe isn’t gonna live in the back of the tractor or you don’t have a list of work for one then I’d probably also rent mini for those jobs. I’ve wanted a backhoe for years but to be honest if I had one it wouldn’t be used very much. I would never go down in tractor size to afford the backhoe on it. You’ll get all kinds of feedback and responses on what size tractor you should buy. At the end of the day it really comes down to your budget and what you’re willing or able to spend on the tractor. Other considerations are how much time you have to do these tasks or how much time you wanna spend doing the tasks. I mean, let’s be honest back in the day people did all these jobs without tractors. You could always buy a few Clydesdales, but I’m not sure what the cost on that is.

PaulL

Equipment
B2601
Jul 17, 2017
NZ
I'd agree that the backhoe is what's really pushing up your cost. If you're trying to fit a budget, you get a lot more tractor for your money without a backhoe. You can add a backhoe later if you need one, but nothing in your list of jobs requires a backhoe.

I'd look bigger than a BX for what you describe. A B is the minimum, an L would be nice. Depends if you want a MMM.

Gaspasser

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L6060, FEL, forks, front snowblower. KX033 mini ex. Dump truck, Husqvarna saws.
Dec 16, 2023
NH
No questiom when it comes to backhoe vs. excavator IMHO. Excavators are far more efficient and easy to rent for the occasional times you will need them. A backhoe takes up space at the rear of your tractor, is not as easy to detach and re-attach as the manuals/videos suggest, take up storage space, and are an investment that sits idle most of the time. I have had / have both pieces of equipment and would not ever want to go back to backhoe again. YMMV. Good luck with your decision.

fried1765

Equipment
Kubota L48 TLB, Ford 1920 FEL, Ford 8N, SCAG Liberty Z, Gravely Pro.
Nov 14, 2019
Eastham, Ma
No questiom when it comes to backhoe vs. excavator IMHO. Excavators are far more efficient and easy to rent for the occasional times you will need them. A backhoe takes up space at the rear of your tractor, is not as easy to detach and re-attach as the manuals/videos suggest, take up storage space, and are an investment that sits idle most of the time. I have had / have both pieces of equipment and would not ever want to go back to backhoe again. YMMV. Good luck with your decision.
I do not use my L48 TLB BH often, but with an 11' dig depth, and good reach, it is a meaningful tool.
I usually use the BH for only an hour, or two, each time I use it.
How would it work,...... renting a mini-ex for an hour, or two, each time I need it?
I have adequate indoor storage space, and...... I never detach the BH.
I also have a smaller (32HP) Ford FEL tractor.

Gaspasser

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L6060, FEL, forks, front snowblower. KX033 mini ex. Dump truck, Husqvarna saws.
Dec 16, 2023
NH
I do not use my L48 TLB BH often, but with an 11' dig depth, and good reach, it is a meaningful tool.
How would it work,...... renting a mini-ex for an hour, or two, each time I need it?
I have adequate indoor storage space, and...... I never detach the BH.
I also have a smaller (32HP) Ford FEL tractor.
Yep Fried. If it works for that's the way to go.

ajschnitzelbank

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L4701, BH92, Frost Bite grapple, Logosol M8 mill, Stihl MS661
Aug 24, 2021
Rensselaer County NY
I really do like my backhoe. But if I were in your shoes, I think I may prefer an L2502 without the hoe than a smaller machine with.

ItBmine

Equipment
B2620, RTV-X1100C
Jan 21, 2014
Canada
Hello,

Thanks
I responded to you on the other site, but since you are here, here is my thread of pics. Like I say, everyone wants "bigger is better" but a B2601 will do everything you need.

Hkb82

Equipment
M7060, Ford 5600, can-am defender
Nov 17, 2021
Ontario Canada
This is a great example of different strokes for different folks. And not a dig at you in the slightest Fried1765
Not everyone can have a L48 tlb that they don’t use very often just taking up storage or shop space. Most people are not gonna be digging that much or those depths all that often but if you are then ya a BH would be a great investment.
Denman never mentioned any tasks he absolutely needed a BH for. Sounded like a lot of mowing and regular maintenance kinda stuff for ten acres. Also ten of bush. It’s also his first tractor. If it were me, I would definitely not buy a smaller tractor with a backhoe. over a bigger tractor unless I had regular and steady work and was confident the smaller BH could do it. I’d buy the size up no BH. Only benefit I see would be financing the BH with the tractor. As long as you take good care of it regular maintenance and keep it looking nice it will hold its value pretty good. Id start putting some extra cash if possible aside and if in a few years you find it’s not the tractor for you. You can always purchase something with a backhoe. Or even get a L48 TLB and keep it in the shed to not use very often. lol that’s my dream btw Fried. I’d love to have an extra everything but unfortunately some times it’s not possible.

fried1765

Equipment
Nov 14, 2019
Eastham, Ma
This is a great example of different strokes for different folks. And not a dig at you in the slightest Fried1765
Not everyone can have a L48 tlb that they don’t use very often just taking up storage or shop space. Most people are not gonna be digging that much or those depths all that often but if you are then ya a BH would be a great investment.
Denman never mentioned any tasks he absolutely needed a BH for. Sounded like a lot of mowing and regular maintenance kinda stuff for ten acres. Also ten of bush. It’s also his first tractor. If it were me, I would definitely not buy a smaller tractor with a backhoe. over a bigger tractor unless I had regular and steady work and was confident the smaller BH could do it. I’d buy the size up no BH. Only benefit I see would be financing the BH with the tractor. As long as you take good care of it regular maintenance and keep it looking nice it will hold its value pretty good. Id start putting some extra cash if possible aside and if in a few years you find it’s not the tractor for you. You can always purchase something with a backhoe. Or even get a L48 TLB and keep it in the shed to not use very often. lol that’s my dream btw Fried. I’d love to have an extra everything but unfortunately some times it’s not possible.
I have had a dedicated TLB (1st Ford, now Kubota) for the past 38 years.
I have NEVER bought ANY tractor new!
My nearly pristine 2006 L48 TLB, is likely worth $10K more than I paid 5 years ago.
I do have another (Ford) FEL tractor.

Last edited:

ItBmine

Equipment
B2620, RTV-X1100C
Jan 21, 2014
Canada
I forgot to add when I typed my post, "bigger is better" is fine if you want to spend the money. Or run a baler, or lift really heavy stuff.

But I remember the OP saying he was trying to keep to a budget, and so far there hasn't been one task on my acreage that my little B could not do. But again, I'm not baling hay or lifting large rounds with it.

And in return, what it gives me is, very cheap on fuel and very cheap to replace tires.

And I wouldn't want to go any bigger for mowing, because my 2500 pound Allis Chalmers leaves tracks in the lawn and the 5500 pound Ford REALLY leaves marks.

Runs With Scissors

Equipment
L2501 TLB , Grappel, Brush Hog, Box Blade, Ballast box, Forks, Tiller, PH digger
Jan 25, 2023
Michigan
It's no surprise that @fried1765 and I are "team backhoe'.

If you are thinking about one, then get it.

I know it's easy to 'spend other peoples money" but in the long long run, I think they are a great tool to "have handy" and worth every penny.

"Budgets" have alway been a "loose term" to me personally.

But I am admittedly a "tool junkie".

Although I understand what "budget" means technically (I guess); If a person is buying a 60,000 dollar tractor, is a 70,000 dollar tractor really that much of a stretch?

If financing, a person is looking at what ~$85 bucks a month.

Hell, just yesterday, my wife and I stopped to get 2 chicken wing "meal deals" and the bill was 35 freaking dollars...(I ain't joking neither)

The way the economy is going, that $85 bucks a month for the backhoe, will be equivalent to 2 Lattes, and a doughnut soon.

I hate to do this, but apparently it's time for a little "Jedi mind trick"....... :LOL: :LOL:

1723372376949.png

Last edited:
  • Haha
Reactions: 3 users

fried1765

Equipment
Nov 14, 2019
Eastham, Ma
It's no surprise that @fried1765 and I are "team backhoe'.

If you are thinking about one, then get it.

I know it's easy to 'spend other peoples money" but in the long long run, I think they are a great tool to "have handy" and worth every penny.

"Budgets" have alway been a "loose term" to me personally.

But I am admittedly a "tool junkie".

Although I understand what "budget" means technically (I guess); If a person is buying a 60,000 dollar tractor, is a 70,000 dollar tractor really that much of a stretch?

If financing, a person is looking at what ~$85 bucks a month.

Hell, just yesterday, my wife and I stopped to get 2 chicken wing "meal deals" and the bill was 35 freaking dollars...(I ain't joking neither)

The way the economy is going, that $85 bucks a month for the backhoe, will be equivalent to 2 Lattes, and a doughnut soon.

I hate to do this, but apparently it's time for a little "Jedi mind trick"....... :LOL: :LOL:

View attachment 134692
It s easy for the BH naysayers to be BH naysayers, because they simply have never had the instant access to a BH for those little jobs, that a BH can do best.

ItBmine

Equipment
B2620, RTV-X1100C
Jan 21, 2014
Canada
Backhoe is definitely better than a shovel, but I wish I would have took that 10 grand and put it towards a mini ex. Far more productive.

fried1765

Equipment
Nov 14, 2019
Eastham, Ma
Backhoe is definitely better than a shovel, but I wish I would have took that 10 grand and put it towards a mini ex. Far more productive.
Mini -ex is excellent, if you only want to dig holes, load trucks, and crawl around at a snails pace.
A TLB offers more versatility.

ItBmine

Equipment
B2620, RTV-X1100C
Jan 21, 2014
Canada
Mini -ex is excellent, if you only want to dig holes, load trucks, and crawl around at a snails pace.
A TLB offers more versatility.
For sure. If I had a mini ex I'd still need a tractor. But back when I bought my backhoe just before they released the biological on us, you could buy a decent size Kubota mini ex with a 26 horse engine to skirt the emissions for 40 grand. But those days and prices are LONG GONE.