It's a disease that has no cure..........WTF did he do now???

BT3101

Equipment
L3130 GST, FEL, Taylor Way BH W/Subframe, Rotary Cutter, Pallet Forks
Mar 20, 2016
Evansville, IN, USA
I only have a minute here so I'll shoot one quick piece of advice: on the circles, in order to eliminate the divots at the edge increase the lead-in distance and it will force the piece point further away from the edge of the circle.

Edit: For example, set lead-in distance equal to radius and it will force pierce point to center of circle.

On software, if you learn Fusion 360, you don't need SheetCAM. Fusion does both CAD and CAM. People who use other CAD programs use SheetCAM for generating their G-Code after they finish design.

I'll be back later and read your whole thread and see if I can offer any other advice. Gotta go take father to doctor now.

Last edited:

Runs With Scissors

Equipment
L2501 TLB , Grappel, Brush Hog, Box Blade, Ballast box, Forks, Tiller, PH digger
Jan 25, 2023
Michigan
What is the part that you made going to be use for? When can I send you my requests for parts to be made? thanks
It is simply a "test part" to see if it worked, mostly to see if my .DXF files and G-code would work, but 'overal" testing of the plasma cutter and table/stepper motors were also part of reason.

I randomly drew a few circles, rounded the corners, and explored using the "line function" to make a "curly shape". (y) (y)

Sidekick

Equipment
Kioti CK2620SE cab, RTV-X, BX3260, Z726XKW-3-60, Deere 4100
Jul 29, 2023
N.Y,
I only have a minute here so I'll shoot one quick piece of advice: on the circles, in order to eliminate the divots at the edge increase the lead-in distance and it will force the piece point further away from the edge of the circle.

Edit: For example, set lead-in distance equal to radius and it will force pierce point to center of circle.

On software, if you learn Fusion 360, you don't need SheetCAM. Fusion does both CAD and CAM. People who use other CAD programs use SheetCAM for generating their G-Code after they finish design.

I'll be back later and read your whole thread and see if I can offer any other advice. Gotta go take father to doctor now.
I have been using Sheet CAM for over 15 years and love it. One time buy and no future cost. I tried the Free Fusion but when they switched to a paid version lost everything on the cloud because it's just too expensive. I'm using Alibre now for plasma cutting, cnc routing, laser cutting, and 3d printing that was a one time buy.

Yooper

Lifetime Member

Equipment
3901 LA525
May 31, 2015
NE Wisconsin
Pleasantly surprised with the lack of smoke/dust with the water table. Plasma particulate is very fine and gets on everything including your lungs.

I see you are starting to learn about part tip up in your video. You will figure that out with experience. Enjoy your CNC toy!

Runs With Scissors

Equipment
L2501 TLB , Grappel, Brush Hog, Box Blade, Ballast box, Forks, Tiller, PH digger
Jan 25, 2023
Michigan

Thank you for the advice.

So the whole "computer/software" thing has been an absolute debacle/comedy of errors.

Aside story: Edit (caution...long story ahead)

So I start off all "Fat, Dumb, and Happy "as per normal, by buying the CNC plasma cutter system.

Mostly cause I had been wanting one for a long time and I started "lurking about" and started keeping track of prices/sales....(this is nearly always a "pre-curser" to "action")

I am actually very proud of myself. Believe it or not, I am not well known for my "fiscal restraint practices"

Anywhoo..........Langmuir had a "Fathers day sale" just prior, and hey.....I'm a Father....

So I almost "hit the Send button" ($500 off), but I showed an almost "super human" amount of restraint and decided to "wait for a better deal".

[Actually I did not really want it until "fall time", so I could have more time to dedicate to it. but thats just between us;)]

Well then they "upped their game" and offered a.......$700 off sale???????? Huh? did I read that right?

OMG.........$700 off is almost FREE!!!!!!!!!! LOLOLOLOL:LOL::LOL::LOL:

( insert sound of Paul hitting the "SEND" button)

{ Now for all you "Doubting Thomas's" out there, I am fully aware that rarely is the "initial cost" of anything, the "expensive part".....Legacy Costs, are usually the "expensive part", so I do factor that in................. "somewhere'}

Moving along..........I recently (2ish years ago) decided to "switch to an Apple computer", (whole different story) and in the "little amount" of research I had done, it appeared on the Langmuir forum, there were "enough Apple users" to make me feel comfortable that mine would work "just fine".

So I download the "personal version" of Autofusion 360.

FULL STOP!!!!!! (insert Sounds of a horrific crash)

Holy Sh!t..............After about 5 hours of trying to "draw" anything, I could not even figure out how to "exit" that damn program....I am serious, I had to use the "power button" to get out of the program........

Now I consider myself a "reasonably smart" person, Not @TheOldHokie smart, but reasonably smart...........

Well let me tell you what "my brother from another mother"............that "Con Fusion 360" had me "second guessing" my "smartness" Bigly......

It has taken me "weeks" to be able to draw that stupid "test part", but after lots of swearing, and rum, I'm finally able to make a "stupid box with 5 holes" on my Macbook Air

Then I try to use ConFusion 360 to convert my .DXF file to G-code(?)......Apparently the "machine" only reads this "G code"

(BTW, I am throwing these ".DXF And G-code terms" around like a pro, but the reality is that I had/have never heard of them before 3 weeks ago, and I have no real "knowledge" about them)

Well after 2 days of "futility" I can't get "ConFusion" to do a damn thing regarding the "CAM" part (ie convert to G-code?)

So, I remember on the Langmuir Forum, basically "everyone" says that "SheetCAM" is "Super Easy".

Now remember, at this point I am mentally "beat down".....I don't want to handle firearms or sharp objects at this point....hahahahah

Out of "sheer frustration" and in a "rage", I whip out the credit card and buy "SheetCAM" for no other reason than to try and make "life easier". {BTW in addition to this debacle, I "impaled" myself by sticking a 30 inch steel rod, 15 inches into my chest, and nearly died....so I was more than willing to "pay $150" to make this "computer nightmare" just "go away".)

Well if your still reading this, sit down................

After about 3 hours of trying to "open" SheetCAM, Someone on the Langmuir forum points out my "stupid'ness"

The F$%$#$$$##g Sheetcam program is NOT "Apple compatible"!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

AAAAAGGGGGHHHHHHHHHH!!!!!!!!!!You have got to be F'ing Sh!tting ME!!!!!!!!

At this point I am "beat down" Bigly......So I start using ".Gov tactics" and just decide to "throw money" at this problem until I "fix it".

Therefore, I decided to buy a "windows" machine and use that for My CAD/CAM stuff, and thankfully....so far,........ it has made this "easier".......certainly not "easy", .......but "easier"

Sorry for the "extended answer" guys, but it just "got away" from me......

Last edited:

TheOldHokie

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3901/LA525, B7200DT/B1630, G2160/RCK60, G2460/RCK60
Apr 6, 2021
Myersville, MD
windyridgefarm.us
Thank you for the advice.

So the whole "computer/software" thing has been an absolute debacle/comedy of errors.

Aside story: Edit (caution...long story ahead)

So I start off all "Fat, Dumb, and Happy "as per normal, by buying the CNC plasma cutter system.

Mostly cause I had been wanting one for a long time and I started "lurking about" and started keeping track of prices/sales....(this is nearly always a "pre-curser" to "action")

I am actually very proud of myself. Believe it or not, I am not well known for my "fiscal restraint practices"

Anywhoo..........Langmuir had a "Fathers day sale" just prior, and hey.....I'm a Father....

So I almost "hit the Send button" ($500 off), but I showed an almost "super human" amount of restraint and decided to "wait for a better deal".

[Actually I did not really want it until "fall time", so I could have more time to dedicate to it. but thats just between us;)]

Well then they "upped their game" and offered a.......$700 off sale???????? Huh? did I read that right?

OMG.........$700 off is almost FREE!!!!!!!!!! LOLOLOLOL:LOL::LOL::LOL:

( insert sound of Paul hitting the "SEND" button)

{ Now for all you "Doubting Thomas's" out there, I am fully aware that rarely is the "initial cost" of anything, the "expensive part".....Legacy Costs, are usually the "expensive part", so I do factor that in................. "somewhere'}

Moving along..........I recently (2ish years ago) decided to "switch to an Apple computer", (whole different story) and in the "little amount" of research I had done, it appeared on the Langmuir forum, there were "enough Apple users" to make me feel comfortable that mine would work "just fine".

So I download the "personal version" of Autofusion 360.

FULL STOP!!!!!! (insert Sounds of a horrific crash)

Holy Sh!t..............After about 5 hours of trying to "draw" anything, I could not even figure out how to "exit" that damn program.....Now I consider myself "reasonably smart" person, Not @TheOldHokie smart, but reasonably smart...........

Well let me tell you what "my brother from another mother"............that "Con Fusion 360" had me "second guessing" my "smartness" Bigly......

It has taken me "weeks" to be able to draw that stupid "test part", but after lots of swearing, and rum, I'm finally able to make a "stupid box with 5 holes" on my Macbook Air

Then I try to use ConFusion 360 to convert my .DXF file to G-code(?)......Apparently the "machine" only reads this "G code"

(BTW, I am throwing these ".DXF And G-code terms" around like a pro, but the reality is that I had/have never heard of them before 3 weeks ago, and I have no real "knowledge" about them)

Well after 2 days of "futility" I can't get "ConFusion" to do a damn thing regarding the "CAM" part (ie convert to G-code?)

So, I remember on the Langmuir Forum, basically "everyone" says that "SheetCAM" is "Super Easy".

Now remember, at this point I am mentally "beat down".....I don't want to handle firearms or sharp objects at this point....hahahahah

Out of "sheer frustration" and in a "rage", I whip out the credit card and buy "SheetCAM" for no other reason than to try and make "life easier". {BTW in addition to this debacle, I "impaled" myself by sticking a 30 inch steel rod, 15 inches into my chest, and nearly died....so I was more than willing to "pay $150" to make this "computer nightmare" just "go away".)

Well if your still reading this, sit down................

After about 3 hours of trying to "open" SheetCAM, Someone on the Langmuir forum points out my "stupid'ness"

The F$%$#$$$##g Sheetcam program is NOT "Apple compatible"!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

AAAAAGGGGGHHHHHHHHHH!!!!!!!!!!You have got to be F'ing Sh!tting ME!!!!!!!!

At this point I am "beat down" Bigly......So I start using ".Gov tactics" and just decide to "throw money" at this problem until I "fix it".

Therefore, I decided to buy a "windows" machine and use that for My CAD/CAM stuff, and thankfully....so far,........ it has made this "easier".......certainly not "easy", .......but "easier"

Sorry for the "extended answer" guys, but it just "got away" from me......
I have 40 years expetience as a software engineer designing, writing, and using all sorts of applications and CAD applications are the least intuitive user interfaces I have ever encountered. The 2D stuff is bad enough but 3D modeling takes it to another level. G-code is simple in comparison.

Creating G-code from a CAD model (.dwg or .stp file) is a complex algorithmic process and something I dont even try to understand. That said a 2D plasma cut file is pretty "simple" compared to a 3D milling operation with way more variables.

Get yourself a primer on G code and study it a bit. In 2D its basically pen plotting with a cutting tool. Modern G code and machine controllers can do a lot on their own - e.g interpolate an arc or circle given simple inputs like center coordinate and a radius.

Dan

fried1765

Equipment
Kubota L48 TLB, Ford 1920 FEL, Ford 8N, SCAG Liberty Z, Gravely Pro.
Nov 14, 2019
Eastham, Ma
I tried to "video" the assembly, so I did not do a great job on taking pics, but i got a few.

The "table" and the X and Y axis beams was pretty simple and straight forward following the directions.

View attachment 134436

View attachment 134437

Now for some reason, the I had some "minor difficulty' getting the "bearing plates" and bearings in the proper orientation.

The instructions were good I suppose, but there was some "unnecessary disassembly" in my opinion.

All in all, not a big deal.

I took my time and had about 3 "six hour" days into it.

View attachment 134438

View attachment 134439
Your "disease" is UNCURABLE!'
I am nearly 84,........ and it continues.
I will not be buying a plasma cutter (I once did have a small hand held).
But.....I just bought a SWAG press brake.
Do I need it?
NO!
Did I want it?
YES!

Reactions: 1 users

Runs With Scissors

Equipment
Jan 25, 2023
Michigan
I love it!!! What's the managerial unit and or your homeowners insurance think of a plasma table in the basement of your dwelling though?
I have not "asked them" yet.

But "off the top of my head", I would imagine they feel very similar to me having a 10,000 pound car hoist, 2 lathes, a Chinese mini- mill, various grinders, an "up-stairs" plasma cutter, Oxy-Acetelene torchs, MIG welder, and a TIG welder about 10 feet from X amount of "gun powder" and X amount of "spare ammo".......

Hahahahah....... (y) (y) 🍸 🍸

The "Langmuir " is probably the "safest" tool I have......

BT3101

Equipment
Mar 20, 2016
Evansville, IN, USA
I have been using Sheet CAM for over 15 years and love it. One time buy and no future cost. I tried the Free Fusion but when they switched to a paid version lost everything on the cloud because it's just too expensive. I'm using Alibre now for plasma cutting, cnc routing, laser cutting, and 3d printing that was a one time buy.
I don't think you lost everything. I still use (3yrs now) the non-commercial (free) version.

He said he was learning F360 anyway, so I was just trying to help lighten his computer load. I know everyone likes certain software for different reasons, so I usually don't say one is better than another. I like F360 because I can do CAD and CAM in one spot. I often have to make changes to a design and its handy to be able to update everything without changing programs.

BT3101

Equipment
Mar 20, 2016
Evansville, IN, USA
I have 40 years expetience as a software engineer designing, writing, and using all sorts of applications and CAD applications are the least intuitive user interfaces I have ever encountered. The 2D stuff is bad enough but 3D modeling takes it to another level. G-code is simple in comparison.

Creating G-code from a CAD model (.dwg or .stp file) is a complex algorithmic process and something I dont even try to understand. That said a 2D plasma cut file is pretty "simple" compared to a 3D milling operation with way more variables.

Get yourself a primer on G code and study it a bit. In 2D its basically pen plotting with a cutting tool. Modern G code and machine controllers can do a lot on their own - e.g interpolate an arc or circle given simple inputs like center coordinate and a radius.

Dan
No argument here. I'm retired from Toyota and used CAD there a lot so adopting Fusion 360 wasn't too bad for me, but I've seen a lot of people go through what @Runs With Scissors is now. It's rough at first, but definitely worth it in the end. Luckily, 2D satisifies most of the needs for us amateurs. Also, the sheet metal function in F360 is pretty easy, so making basic 3D shapes to press brake is straightforward once you are versed in the 2D.

I've been cutting with my Langmuir system for over 2 years without really learning any G-Code. The programs like Fusion 360 or SheetCAM have made it pretty easy for us novices to generate the G-Code to run the table. The steep learning curve once you get everything setup (software wise) is getting a good understanding of the CAM settings and how changing them affects your cut quality.

I'm only now, more out of curiosity than necessity, starting to learn G-Code. Someone recently posted a link to this software and it's really slick. You might enjoy checking it out:

NC Viewer // GCode Viewer and Machine Simulator