Safety Thing on L3710 Forward/Reverse Pedal?

unioncreek

Equipment
Kubota L3710 GST
Nov 1, 2023
WA
I don't know what a glide transmission is. I have a hydrostatic transmission.
I have a L3710 GST (Glide Shift), It’s Kubota version of a power shift. I have the shuttle shift on mine so I never have to use the clutch.

Bob

Reactions: 1 user

Mr Haney

Equipment
L3710
May 23, 2022
FL
Here's something someone just told me:

If your tractor will not start but you can wiggle the hydro-stat pedal back and forth and get it to start then here is your problem. The cut out/safety switch is located up underneath the tractor by the pedal toward the rear tire. That switch can fail by the tabs that hold the cover on it letting go. This lets the switch move within the case its in. Either replace the switch or pull it off and repair it. I used JB weld epoxy to keep it in place. Put it back on and no problems now for months.

Mr Haney

Equipment
L3710
May 23, 2022
FL
Man, this is amazing. "It's not there." "It's definitely there." "Keep looking." "Give up." Looks like I found a very controversial problem to ask about.

I truly appreciate the replies and the effort. I will be going back under the tractor in a few days.

N3BP

Equipment
B7200DT, B7200HST-D, L2900GST, L3010 HST TLB
Sep 20, 2016
Lebanon, PA
Man, this is amazing. "It's not there." "It's definitely there." "Keep looking." "Give up." Looks like I found a very controversial problem to ask about.

I truly appreciate the replies and the effort. I will be going back under the tractor in a few days.
The guys mean well, but they muddy the waters when they think our 20+ year old machines are built like their new ones. I'll spare you the trouble of crawling under the machine for the 10th time to find the hens teeth.

There are technically two locations your neutral safety switch could be. The first location is at the HST range shift linkage. This is quite rare and was only used on the earliest of Grand L10's produced, probably 98 or early 99 models. I suspect this was unreliable due to the amount of play the shift mechanism has. The advantage would be you can start the machine while standing on the ground (like GST models)

The second and much more common NSS location is at the clutch pedal itself. You have to rip the dash apart to access it. These switches are generally reliable. Please see attached pics for better understanding of location.

Attachments

Reactions: 1 users

Mr Haney

Equipment
L3710
May 23, 2022
FL
Thanks.

I had some work done on my back, so I won't be using a creeper for a bit, but when I am ready, I'll report.

• Love

Mr Haney

Equipment
L3710
May 23, 2022
FL
I am getting back to this now.

Today I had to have my Dodge Cummins towed to have some work done, and I offered to pull it out for the tow guy to make it easier. I used the Kubota. Of course, it started and ran perfectly at first. Then once it was behind the truck, I could not get it started. I jiggled the pedal and everything.

I had to use my JD garden tractor to pull the tractor and truck out. I told the tow guy the Kubota would start just fine as soon as he left.

Once he was gone, I got on the Kubota, turned the key, started it, and put it in the workshop.

I would like to look at my neutral safety switch, but before I do, I need to know something: if the switch is the problem, will it kill the tractor while it's running? The problem I have does not shut the tractor down.

I noticed that when the tractor won't crank, two red lights on the dash come on, but the glow plug light does not.

N3BP

Equipment
Sep 20, 2016
Lebanon, PA
I am getting back to this now.

Today I had to have my Dodge Cummins towed to have some work done, and I offered to pull it out for the tow guy to make it easier. I used the Kubota. Of course, it started and ran perfectly at first. Then once it was behind the truck, I could not get it started. I jiggled the pedal and everything.

I had to use my JD garden tractor to pull the tractor and truck out. I told the tow guy the Kubota would start just fine as soon as he left.

Once he was gone, I got on the Kubota, turned the key, started it, and put it in the workshop.

I would like to look at my neutral safety switch, but before I do, I need to know something: if the switch is the problem, will it kill the tractor while it's running? The problem I have does not shut the tractor down.

I noticed that when the tractor won't crank, two red lights on the dash come on, but the glow plug light does not.
The neutral safety switch can't kill the tractor while running. The only electrical system on your machine that can do that is the one that actuates the fuel pump solenoid.

If the battery would become momentarily disconnected, I could see that causing the solenoid do disengage and causing the machine to shut off.

Your issue sure does sound like a loose connection somewhere in the starting circuit.....

Mr Haney

Equipment
L3710
May 23, 2022
FL
This is an amazing problem, because everyone disagrees about it. Guy on another forum gave me some help.

The manual says there IS a safety switch on the HST pedal. It appears the switch has to be on (plunger depressed) in order for the tractor to start. I would guess my switch is not making good contact in the on position. So somewhere in the line of current, there is a contact that isn't working. Could be where the wires to the switch connect, or could be inside the switch.

One other possibility: the apparatus that depresses the plunger is out of whack.

Based on the fact that wiggling the pedal has made the tractor start sometimes, I think the problem is the switch or the apparatus, not the connections to the switch.

My problem now: finding the HST switch. It is not under the tractor unless it is a master of disguise.

On a different L tractor, the switch is behind the sheet metal in front of the operator's feet.

The manual seems to be useless for finding the location, but maybe that's because my PDF manuals are not searchable.

BAP

Lifetime Member

Equipment
2012 Kubota 2920, 60MMM, FEL, BH65 48" Bush Hog, 60"Backblade, B2782B Snowblower
Dec 31, 2012
New Hampshire
This is an amazing problem, because everyone disagrees about it. Guy on another forum gave me some help.

The manual says there IS a safety switch on the HST pedal. It appears the switch has to be on (plunger depressed) in order for the tractor to start. I would guess my switch is not making good contact in the on position. So somewhere in the line of current, there is a contact that isn't working. Could be where the wires to the switch connect, or could be inside the switch.

One other possibility: the apparatus that depresses the plunger is out of whack.

Based on the fact that wiggling the pedal has made the tractor start sometimes, I think the problem is the switch or the apparatus, not the connections to the switch.

My problem now: finding the HST switch. It is not under the tractor unless it is a master of disguise.

On a different L tractor, the switch is behind the sheet metal in front of the operator's feet.

The manual seems to be useless for finding the location, but maybe that's because my PDF manuals are not searchable.
Answer Whitetiger’s question. He knows more about these Kubota’s than most of the people who have been trying to give you advice as he is a Kubota technician. Personally, I would listen to his advice over anyone else who has responded to you.

• Love
Reactions: 1 users

N3BP

Equipment
Sep 20, 2016
Lebanon, PA

Here is your starting circuit simplified. Your issue lies somewhere in the highlighted section. Note that this is what it takes to physically spin the starter motor, but not fire the tractor over. The "timer relay" is the unit that engages and disengages the fuel pump solenoid. It sounds like you have a no crank condition, which can eliminate the timer relay circuit from the diagnoses.
Once again, the HST switch is not at the treadle pedal on a Grand L10, and if someone feels I'm incorrect, prove me wrong with pictures!

Attachments

chim

Equipment
L4240HSTC with FEL, Ford 1210
Jan 19, 2013
Near Lancaster, PA, USA
Here is your starting circuit simplified. Your issue lies somewhere in the highlighted section. Note that this is what it takes to physically spin the starter motor, but not fire the tractor over. The "timer relay" is the unit that engages and disengages the fuel pump solenoid. It sounds like you have a no crank condition, which can eliminate the timer relay circuit from the diagnoses.
Once again, the HST switch is not at the treadle pedal on a Grand L10, and if someone feels I'm incorrect, prove me wrong with pictures!
I get a kick how you vehemently objected to the existence of a switch then shifted to an argument on its location 😁

N3BP

Equipment
Sep 20, 2016
Lebanon, PA
I get a kick how you vehemently objected to the existence of a switch then shifted to an argument on its location 😁
I never objected to it's existence, just trying to tell the fellows to stop telling him it's at the treadle, because it damn sure aint!

N3BP

Equipment
Sep 20, 2016
Lebanon, PA
Well, this stings, but I want to apologize to everyone (especially the OP) as I WAS DEAD NUTS WRONG.
I just crawled underneath my L3010 and discovered there is indeed a treadle position safety switch. It’s located not far from the hydraulic oil filter. See attached image. I can clearly see that this will affect starting of the machine. Any devotion from a true neutral position appears to open the switch.

To the OP, I suggest you disconnect it and jumper it out to see if that fixes your intermittent no-crank condition. If that doesn’t do the trick, you can do what I did and locate the starter relay and ground out the terminal that connects the safety switches. Of course this also means it’s possible to start the machine with the PTO & HST transmission engaged.

Once again, I apologize to everyone for the miss information.

Attachments