L210 flywheel ring gear

141C5

Equipment
Kubota L210
Jul 23, 2024
Hazle Township PA
Hello everyone. I recently purchased a L210 that would not start. I was told the starter was bad. Removed starter and found the ring gear teeth ground down. After some research figured out someone put a 10 tooth starter on and it ground down all of the ring gear teeth. Hoping the correct 9 tooth starter would grab what was left but I was wrong. So now I am searching for a ring gear. Called many salvage yards no luck. So what's the chance someone has one they are willing to sell or exact dimensions so I could try finding same for different applications.

Attachments

Last edited:

RCW

Lifetime Member

Equipment
BX2360, FEL, MMM, BX2750D snowblower. 1953 Minneapolis Moline ZAU
Apr 28, 2013
Chenango County, NY
Welcome to OTT.

Might be a challenge, but the first thing I would do is send @007kubotaguy a private message to inquire.

He’s helped a lot of folks here on OTT with older L-series parts.

I think an L210 is a very early Kubota model, but if anyone knows a source or compatible version it would be him.

Reactions: 1 user

141C5

Equipment
Kubota L210
Jul 23, 2024
Hazle Township PA
Welcome to OTT.

Might be a challenge, but the first thing I would do is send @007kubotaguy a private message to inquire.

He’s helped a lot of folks here on OTT with older L-series parts.

I think an L210 is a very early Kubota model, but if anyone knows a source or compatible version it would be him.
Awesome I will send him a message. Thank you. The ID plate is go from mine but I am thinking it is a 72 or 73. Think it's the only years they built this one. It's an awesome tractor just need to get it right.

GreensvilleJay

Equipment
BX23-S,57 A-C D-14,58 A-C D-14, 57 A-C D-14,tiller,cults,Millcreek 25G spreader,
Apr 2, 2019
Greensville,Ontario,Canada
One 'cheat' is to heat the ring gear up to get it off, then flip it front side to back side, so you now have GOOD teeth.

Reactions: 1 users

GSD-Keegan

Equipment
B2601 with Fel and Bh70 backhoe
Mar 6, 2021
Ontario, Canada
I could be off base…and not looking at picture closely enough….i see some damage and wear, but in days of old I’ve seen a lot worse. Teeth pretty much completely gone….where typical engines shut down in their usual “spots”. Also. In days of old, we used to shim starters to get a better tooth contact. Might be an idea to consider an attempt at better ring gear tooth contact before getting into the flywheel?? Especially if you have some spare starter parts?? Just an idea…

141C5

Equipment
Kubota L210
Jul 23, 2024
Hazle Township PA
I could be off base…and not looking at picture closely enough….i see some damage and wear, but in days of old I’ve seen a lot worse. Teeth pretty much completely gone….where typical engines shut down in their usual “spots”. Also. In days of old, we used to shim starters to get a better tooth contact. Might be an idea to consider an attempt at better ring gear tooth contact before getting into the flywheel?? Especially if you have some spare starter parts?? Just an idea…
I will try shimming tonight for sure! Thank you.

GSD-Keegan

Equipment
B2601 with Fel and Bh70 backhoe
Mar 6, 2021
Ontario, Canada
From your picture, it appears the old starter pinion was not engaging the ring gear teeth deep enough, as in tooth contact? Seems the starter needs to be moved inward closer to the ring gear. Good luck. This can be a tricky task. I did a search, and found some YouTube’s, but didn’t watch.

GreensvilleJay

Equipment
BX23-S,57 A-C D-14,58 A-C D-14, 57 A-C D-14,tiller,cults,Millcreek 25G spreader,
Apr 2, 2019
Usually the teeth get 'chewed' in 1 of 2 spots,so if you still have 'good' teeth, mark where ring gear is on flywheel, remove and replace 45* from the original spot.

141C5

Equipment
Kubota L210
Jul 23, 2024
Hazle Township PA
From your picture, it appears the old starter pinion was not engaging the ring gear teeth deep enough, as in tooth contact? Seems the starter needs to be moved inward closer to the ring gear. Good luck. This can be a tricky task. I did a search, and found some YouTube’s, but didn’t watch.
So got the calipers out today and did some measurements. I appears the pinion is engaging far enough according to the calipers. Wish I had a cool tech truck to actually see what it's doing when starter is installed on the machine

GreensvilleJay

Equipment
Apr 2, 2019
heck, I'm impressed someone got a 10toother in and it worked. Can't do that with the other orange tractors....
still the swap ring gear front to back is an option, yes, have to grind a slight bevel with angle grinder on what 110-120 teeth ? NOT the end of the world.

141C5

Equipment
Kubota L210
Jul 23, 2024
Hazle Township PA
heck, I'm impressed someone got a 10toother in and it worked. Can't do that with the other orange tractors....
still the swap ring gear front to back is an option, yes, have to grind a slight bevel with angle grinder on what 110-120 teeth ? NOT the end of the world.
Unfortunately it looks like the end bushing on the 10 tooth was blown out (probably from trying to start it with wrong starter) so it looks like the teeth are worn down across the entire gear. Guess I need to just bite the bullet and order the $580 new gear I found ugh

GreensvilleJay

Equipment
Apr 2, 2019
well, hopefully a once in a lifetime purchase.
I'd also order a new 'pilot bushing', maybe a 'throw out bearing' as well.
Once of those...'while it's split..replace this' deals....

RCW

Lifetime Member

Equipment
BX2360, FEL, MMM, BX2750D snowblower. 1953 Minneapolis Moline ZAU
Apr 28, 2013
Chenango County, NY
Did you ever get in touch with 007Kubotaguy? Might be worth it!!!!

At Post #2, I noticed he had a “thumbs up” to my post….sometimes I think that means he can help.

Worth a shot…..

141C5

Equipment
Kubota L210
Jul 23, 2024
Hazle Township PA
well, hopefully a once in a lifetime purchase.
I'd also order a new 'pilot bushing', maybe a 'throw out bearing' as well.
Once of those...'while it's split..replace this' deals....
Well dealer did a national search and there are none available. I have it apart gear absolutely junk. May end up having to machine a new one or weld this one solid and recut gears will see

GreensvilleJay

Equipment
Apr 2, 2019
maybe a real long shot...but is that ring gear used in ANY other Kubota engine ? Maybe take the dimensions and see IF there's another engine,another make, that used it ??
How many different tractors was THAT engine used in ??
I don't know how old it is but, way back, mfrs tried to use same parts, over and over, to reduce costs.
Maybe under a different part number ? Different engine (Mitzi or Saab or ??? )
Just trying to find a straw that works for you.