Working hours vs age

Rosohatica

Equipment
Kubota B1402
Feb 23, 2022
Zagreb, Croatia
Hi all, I am thinking of buying used Kubota L3200. I have found several specimens of this tractor. What should I pay attention to more hours or age? For instance one tractor has only 80 hours but its from 2007. ( and has not been used past 7 years) versus tractor from 2017. with 600 hours on it. Which one would you buy?
Best regards.

bbxlr8

Equipment
L2501 w/R14s, LA525, BH77, SGC0660, CL 5' BB, CL PHD, WG24 + Ford 1210 60" mmm,
Mar 29, 2021
Eastern PA
Hard one - Apples and oranges a bit. I would look at the condition, equipment specs, storage vs cost to determine "value" to me. Either is hardly broken in. Any engine based equipment is better when run regularly vs sitting, but I wouldn't be scared of either without other factors.

I definitely wanted to buy used but the market did not allow that 3+ years ago. new was the only value choice that made sense at the time.

Reactions: 1 user

fried1765

Equipment
Kubota L48 TLB, Ford 1920 FEL, Ford 8N, SCAG Liberty Z, Gravely Pro.
Nov 14, 2019
Eastham, Ma
Hi all, I am thinking of buying used Kubota L3200. I have found several specimens of this tractor. What should I pay attention to more hours or age? For instance one tractor has only 80 hours but its from 2007. ( and has not been used past 7 years) versus tractor from 2017. with 600 hours on it. Which one would you buy?
Best regards.
Others may have a different opinion, but I would pick the one with 80 hours.
I bought a 2006 Kubota L48TLB in 2019, with only 251 hours.
It needed a bit of fluffing and buffing, but it is like a new tractor.

GreensvilleJay

Equipment
BX23-S,57 A-C D-14,58 A-C D-14, 57 A-C D-14,tiller,cults,Millcreek 25G spreader,
Apr 2, 2019
Greensville,Ontario,Canada
does the 80 hr machine LOOK like it only has 80 hrs on it ? Is it super clean, passing a white glove inspection ? Look into every nook and cranny ! Test drive and confirm the hr meter works !!! if it does buy it. The one with 600 hrs has 1/2 the time my BX23S does,so it has been 'used' a little.
Heck buy them both !!!

Reactions: 1 users

Rosohatica

Equipment
Kubota B1402
Feb 23, 2022
Zagreb, Croatia
does the 80 hr machine LOOK like it only has 80 hrs on it ? Is it super clean, passing a white glove inspection ? Look into every nook and cranny ! Test drive and confirm the hr meter works !!! if it does buy it. The one with 600 hrs has 1/2 the time my BX23S does,so it has been 'used' a little.
Heck buy them both !!!
Yes, the 80 hours one looks pristine. It looks like 80 hours indeed. You made me laugh with the last statement, ha, ha. The one with 80 hours comes with front and wheel weights and industrial tires and 2,5 t trailer like this one https://www.heustractors.com/wp-content/uploads/2018/12/boxer-kipwagen-ht25-4-2-2.jpg and a plow, entire package for $ 20 000. The one with 600 hours comes with agri tires and costs $12 600. Its been used in forest for tree skidding with the winch.

• Wow

Rosohatica

Equipment
Kubota B1402
Feb 23, 2022
Zagreb, Croatia
Hard one - Apples and oranges a bit. I would look at the condition, equipment specs, storage vs cost to determine "value" to me. Either is hardly broken in. Any engine based equipment is better when run regularly vs sitting, but I wouldn't be scared of either without other factors.

I definitely wanted to buy used but the market did not allow that 3+ years ago. new was the only value choice that made sense at the time.
I asked Kubota dealer and they offered me to replace oils and filters and check on the tractor for $700. I wonder if they will do anything special to this tractor or if it is just oil and filters, I can do that for myself.

Rosohatica

Equipment
Kubota B1402
Feb 23, 2022
Zagreb, Croatia
Others may have a different opinion, but I would pick the one with 80 hours.
I bought a 2006 Kubota L48TLB in 2019, with only 251 hours.
It needed a bit of fluffing and buffing, but it is like a new tractor.
What do you mean by "fluffing and buffing" : Oil and filters or something extra?

old and tired

Equipment
L2800 HST; 2005; R4
Of those two choices, buy the $12,600 one and buy $7,000 worth of implements to put it to work. Planter, tiller, shoot you could buy a Front End Loader and still be under $20,000.

Tractor by itself doesn't do much work, you need implements to be able to actually do work in the field.

fried1765

Equipment
Kubota L48 TLB, Ford 1920 FEL, Ford 8N, SCAG Liberty Z, Gravely Pro.
Nov 14, 2019
Eastham, Ma
What do you mean by "fluffing and buffing" : Oil and filters or something extra?
In my case, the 251 hour Kubota had lived outside for 13 years.
I compounded most paint, repainted loader and hoe buckets, both fenders, and all 4 wheels.
Restored console finish, and replaced battery.

bbxlr8

Equipment
L2501 w/R14s, LA525, BH77, SGC0660, CL 5' BB, CL PHD, WG24 + Ford 1210 60" mmm,
Mar 29, 2021
Eastern PA
IF you have any apptitude at all, do the service yourself on either once you determine everything is operating correctly (...BEFORE you buy). Heck, even if you don't, we can talk you through it!

Filters & K hyd fluid etc. aren't cheap but it is way, WAY under $700. As per above, use the $$ for another implement that you didn't know you needed :p . Also, you will get to know the tractor much better than just using it.

Last edited:

JimmyJazz

Equipment
B2601
Aug 8, 2020
Pittsburgh, Pa
If I was willing to spend $20,000 for a used tractor I would buy an L3901. Look them up on TractorHouse.com . Thats a bigger , newer, more powerful and potentially more useful tractor. I think the L3901 model is somewhat of a bargain on the used market. Also, I looked at a used b3200 and it vibrated like a son of a gun. I could barely hold the buzzy steering wheel at various RPM settings. Google it. Many others have had similar complaints. The newest b3200 you can buy is still 9 years old. Good luck.

woodman55

Equipment
L6060HSTC, RTV 1100
May 15, 2022
canada
Forestry can be very hard on tractors. It all depends on how how it was treated. It COULD be in good condition, or it COULD be beat to death 🤷‍♂️. I would pay the extra and get the better machine.

PoTreeBoy

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L35 Ford 3930
Mar 24, 2020
WestTn/NoMs
Yes, the 80 hours one looks pristine. It looks like 80 hours indeed. You made me laugh with the last statement, ha, ha. The one with 80 hours comes with front and wheel weights and industrial tires and 2,5 t trailer like this one https://www.heustractors.com/wp-content/uploads/2018/12/boxer-kipwagen-ht25-4-2-2.jpg and a plow, entire package for $ 20 000. The one with 600 hours comes with agri tires and costs $12 600. Its been used in forest for tree skidding with the winch.
What happened to the ones in Germany? $20k no loader, right? In my market, i would keep looking.

PaulL

Equipment
B2601
Jul 17, 2017
NZ
No loader is always a red flag to me if you actually want a loader. It's false economy to buy a machine without a loader hoping to add one, and a tractor without a loader is severely crippled, you're only getting a fraction of the value you could have.

A machine that's been used for forestry almost certainly has had a hard life. I'd normally go the newer machine even with more hours, but not a machine that's been used for forestry. I'd guess it also means someone other than the owner driving it - staff treat machines much harder than owners do.

mcmxi

Lifetime Member

Equipment
***Current*** M6060HDC, MX6000HSTC & GL7000 ***Sold*** MX6000HST & BX25TLB
Feb 9, 2021
NW Montana
Best regards.
My main concern with a tractor that's 17 years old and has sat is deterioration of things like hydraulic hoses which can be an easy fix, bad tires which can be expensive, condensation in the fuel system, bad coolant resulting in corrosion in the radiator, water pump, etc, critters getting in places where they shouldn't etc. In general, something used and cared for is betting than something that sits.

That said, I'd probably choose the low hour, 2007 tractor with the understanding that some parts might need to be replaced.

Rosohatica

Equipment
Kubota B1402
Feb 23, 2022
Zagreb, Croatia
IF you have any apptitude at all, do the service yourself on either once you determine everything is operating correctly (...BEFORE you buy). Heck, even if you don't, we can talk you through it!

Filters & K hyd fluid etc. aren't cheap but it is way, WAY under $700. As per above, use the $$ for another implement that you didn't know you needed :p . Also, you will get to know the tractor much better than just using it.
Thanks, I think I will use the offer ;) Are Kubota oils must have or replacement ones are good enough ( probably cheaper). Any recommendations?

Rosohatica

Equipment
Kubota B1402
Feb 23, 2022
Zagreb, Croatia
If I was willing to spend $20,000 for a used tractor I would buy an L3901. Look them up on TractorHouse.com . Thats a bigger , newer, more powerful and potentially more useful tractor. I think the L3901 model is somewhat of a bargain on the used market. Also, I looked at a used b3200 and it vibrated like a son of a gun. I could barely hold the buzzy steering wheel at various RPM settings. Google it. Many others have had similar complaints. The newest b3200 you can buy is still 9 years old. Good luck.
Are you talking about B3200 or L3200? I am getting L3200.

Rosohatica

Equipment
Kubota B1402
Feb 23, 2022
Zagreb, Croatia
What happened to the ones in Germany? $20k no loader, right? In my market, i would keep looking.
They have been sitting outside since March, look at the images. I guess rust and falling apart seats are not something that cant be fixed, but if for the same price I can get older but taken care of pristine tractor, I would go in that direction. Oh yeah, someone cut ROPS and welded it back again for some reason.

Attachments

Rosohatica

Equipment
Kubota B1402
Feb 23, 2022
Zagreb, Croatia
My main concern with a tractor that's 17 years old and has sat is deterioration of things like hydraulic hoses which can be an easy fix, bad tires which can be expensive, condensation in the fuel system, bad coolant resulting in corrosion in the radiator, water pump, etc, critters getting in places where they shouldn't etc. In general, something used and cared for is betting than something that sits.

That said, I'd probably choose the low hour, 2007 tractor with the understanding that some parts might need to be replaced.
Thanks. I was not concerned with these things since at the moment I have 1986 Kubota B1402 with original tires which are as new, so not worried about that. Especially since those are agri tires L3200 has industrial which are apparently even more durable, and As far as coolant goes, I assume it remains the same you use it or not? The fuel part condensation I am not sure about. As well as oil sitting for that long. I guess one better not use it with the old oils but replace them ASAP.