Suddenly dead in tall grass

ZeekLumpkins

Equipment
Kubota 2620
Oct 1, 2022
I have a B2620 and was mowing some taller grass with a belly mower, elevated up high to keep it from stalling out. All of a sudden it stopped moving and I also lost hydraulic for the bucket, power steering too. "Suddenly" was before I noticed a wet trail behind the tractor so I am guessing some plug came off without me noticing (I am hoping it is just that and not a crack anywhere). Still has oil. I found what the manual says is the transmission fluid level stick (0184) but I could not pull it out and did not want to risk breaking it. More than happy to use more force to see if that is showing empty.

The top of the belly mower and the pto shaft to the mower are wet and the 3 plugs from the manual look in place. It does seem to be more on the right side, looking at the slick tracks in the grass. Any thought on where to check first/if there are more plugs to check?

I was also wondering if it was ok to tow the tractor using a chain in neutral. My only tractor so I was thinking of dragging it forward slowly using a chain wrapped on a ball hitch while it was in neutral to get it out of the tall grass but is that advisable when it is in neutral (going about 400 feet)? It has one of those 'drive over' belly mowers so may need to back it up the same to take off the belly mower to get clearance to look under the tractor.

Thanks for any advice!

Attachments

• Wow
Reactions: 1 user

Henro

Equipment
B2910, BX2200, KX41-2V mini Ex.
May 24, 2019
North of Pittsburgh PA
That yellow plug looks a lot like something on my B2910 tractor. It is in my case the filler for the hydraulic fluid. Again in my case, it’s hard to get that out because it has a O ring around it and when you put it down into the hole, it fits pretty tight. I’m not able to pull that by hand, but I am able to pull it out if I, put something under the Ridge on the top end, and lever it up while pulling with my fingers.

If you lost hydraulics and have a pretty good stream of oil leakage behind you, chances are pretty good that you lost something in the hydraulic fluid path.

I would guess, but I don’t know so wait for somebody that knows to answer, but my guess would be that if you put the gear selector into neutral, you very likely would be able to tow the tractor back to wherever you wanted to without risking damage. Again, let somebody really knows give you some advice on that.

edit: I see it takes me more than five minutes to make a response! 😂

• Haha
Reactions: 2 users

GreensvilleJay

Equipment
BX23-S,57 A-C D-14,58 A-C D-14, 57 A-C D-14,tiller,cults,Millcreek 25G spreader,
Apr 2, 2019
Greensville,Ontario,Canada
what NIW says x2 !!
curious !! I NEED to know what the rubber hosed and gear clamp are for (didn't see in online parts..... )

GreensvilleJay

Equipment
BX23-S,57 A-C D-14,58 A-C D-14, 57 A-C D-14,tiller,cults,Millcreek 25G spreader,
Apr 2, 2019
THAT does seems to be the problem !!!
Gear clamp doesn't look 'factory'.
If possible, cut hose a bit shorter and use new SS clamp. 2 if possible(a left and a right).
Then check oil level, add as required.

Reactions: 2 users

ZeekLumpkins

Equipment
Kubota 2620
Oct 1, 2022
what NIW says x2 !!
curious !! I NEED to know what the rubber hosed and gear clamp are for (didn't see in online parts..... )
Let me know if you find a good diagram. I think the fill for this is on the back (a large flat pad) but I am currently working at breathing more steadily before verifying the fill location,. brand, and amount

GreensvilleJay

Equipment
Apr 2, 2019
J28501.png

pretty sure hose is #200, clamp is #210
when reinstalling be sure clamp is ABOVE the 'barb' when you tighten it down.
looks like a simple fix.....fingers crossed !!

Reactions: 1 users

Henro

Equipment
B2910, BX2200, KX41-2V mini Ex.
May 24, 2019
North of Pittsburgh PA
Let me know if you find a good diagram. I think the fill for this is on the back (a large flat pad) but I am currently working at breathing more steadily before verifying the fill location,. brand, and amount
The brand is not a question. Only use Kubota hydraulic fluid. It’ll be something like SUDT2 probably.

I agree that having a hose pull off is much better than possible alternatives !

ZeekLumpkins

Equipment
Kubota 2620
Oct 1, 2022
The brand is not a question. Only use Kubota hydraulic fluid. It’ll be something like SUDT2 probably.

I agree that having a hose pull off is much better than possible alternatives !
Yes, even if it is a couple hundred dollars in fluids. Fingers crossed!

D2Cat

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L305DT, B7100HST, TG1860, TG1860D, L4240
Mar 27, 2014
40 miles south of Kansas City
When a hydraulic system gets low on fluid it often quits working but doesn't do further damage. An engine oil leak of that kind of volume could be catastrophic. Be thankful. Fix the hose connection, add the proper fluid and get back to work.

whitetiger

Staff member

Equipment
Kubota tech..BX2370, RCK60, B7100HST, RTV900 w plow, Ford 1100 FWA
Nov 20, 2011
Kansas City, KS
So, you have never checked the hydraulic oil level?
Have you checked the oil level in the front axle?
Twist the yellow dipstick and pull on it to remove it. While it is out, put some hydraulic oil on the o-rings before reinserting it. The front axle dipstick is removed the same way.

• Love

GreensvilleJay

Equipment
Apr 2, 2019
Either CAREFULLY pull out the yellow dip sticks OR have a BIG box of bandaids handy !!!
I use pliers and a slow, methodical /slight rocking,twisting motion while pulling up.
Maybe there's a better way,but so far been lucky to NOT need bandaids .