What did you do to or on your Kubota today?

fried1765

Equipment
Kubota L48 TLB, Ford 1920 FEL, Ford 8N, SCAG Liberty Z, Gravely Pro.
Nov 14, 2019
Eastham, Ma
Since I'm several states away from my L4600 ("Gus") all I can do is surf forums and look at the barn cam when it notifies me there's a new photo uploaded. Building a retirement homestead in East TN and have 5 cameras monitoring the place between trips from home here in Houston, TX. Homebuilder has broken ground on the house, and I have the metal barn about 45% shelled in; but I completed the lean-to for the side by side and tractor first to get them out of the way of the house build. View attachment 131413
Looks VERY nice!

dirtydeed

Lifetime Member

Equipment
B2650 BH77, U27-4R2, BX23TLBM, box blade, rear blade, flail mower, Stump Grinder
Dec 8, 2017
Wind Gap, PA
Did a landscaping refresh at my place this weekend (hot as h3ll). Transplanted some large shrubs, removed 2 beautiful hemlocks and a very large river birch (all had outgrown their space). Got rid of the last of the mulch and replaced it with 6 yards of decorative stone. The shot below was of me planting "Charlie" where I dig out the river birch. The U-27 is a great landscaping tool as well.

Planting Charlie.JPG

Reactions: 6 users

fried1765

Equipment
Kubota L48 TLB, Ford 1920 FEL, Ford 8N, SCAG Liberty Z, Gravely Pro.
Nov 14, 2019
Eastham, Ma
Did a landscaping refresh at my place this weekend (hot as h3ll). Transplanted some large shrubs, removed 2 beautiful hemlocks and a very large river birch (all had outgrown their space). Got rid of the last of the mulch and replaced it with 6 yards of decorative stone. The shot below was of me planting "Charlie" where I dig out the river birch. The U-27 is a great landscaping tool as well.

View attachment 131414
Interesting tree!
What is it?

NCL4701

Equipment
L4701, T2290, WC68, grapple, BB1572, Farmi W50R, Howes 500, 16kW IMD gen, WG24
Apr 27, 2020
Central Piedmont, NC
I had started cutting trails into the 40 acres north of the creek at the beginning of the month. This has been on my list for a long time but it’s a low priority project so I seem to only work on it in spurts.

After getting out of the creek bottom and up to the plateau at the beginning of the month, the next step was to walk it and blaze it with surveyor tape. Did that a couple weeks ago.

Two things were of interest to me. First, there was an old two track road that traverses about half the distance before exiting the north border. Not too uncommon to find those in the woods around here. Probably an old farm road or logging road. Regardless, as is usual with those, it was packed hard enough there still isn’t much growing on it so of course I’m following that where I can.

The other thing was I found an old trail of pink and yellow surveyor tape almost everywhere I was picking for my new green surveyor tape blazes. It was nowhere close to following a property line or utility line and had been there long enough it was pretty routine to see the tree bark engulfing it. I recalled my father had, many years ago shortly after he got his first four wheeler, said something about putting trails through this area. At the time, we were neighbors and we spoke regularly, but I wasn’t welcome in these sort of projects so Dad and his hunting buddy did I didn’t know what other than never finish. Apparently, Dad marked out the path but for whatever reason never cleared it. I pulled down his old tape since it was digging into the trees, some seemed to have gone missing, and it wasn’t 100% on point with current conditions.
IMG_2561.jpeg

Anyway, because of the old road some of this is stupid easy. Pretty much knock a couple things out of the way as you drive down the literal road. If you look close you might can see the faint indentations of the wheel tracks but it’s hard to see in a photo. I tried about a half dozen angles in a couple places and never could get a picture I was satisfied with showing evidence of the old road. It’s faint, but quite clear in person.
IMG_2558.jpeg

Other areas need some real work. One thing I really appreciate about the grapple; if you can’t get a good angle on something, a bad angle is often sufficient. That was the case with this chunk of long dead pine.
IMG_2642.jpeg

Winch is very handy for safely dismantling pileups like this one.
IMG_2645.jpeg

About 30 minutes after arriving at this mess, the road reappeared.
IMG_2647.jpeg

Only got about 3 hours in today. Need 3 or 4 more sessions like this to get it roughed in. After that, I’ll need to come back with the bucket to fill any stump holes (already have two on the list) and do a final cleanup limb pruning.

High’s here are in the 90’s so afternoon work in chaps and helmet aren’t happening. It ain’t that imperative. But starting about 7:00 it’s not bad for a few hours in the morning.

Reactions: 15 users

Gaspasser

Equipment
L6060, FEL, forks, front snowblower. KX033 mini ex. Dump truck, Husqvarna saws.
Dec 16, 2023
NH
You going to pay for the diesel for me to get the tractor and myself to your place :) Sounds like it would be a fun time.
Hmmmm. How many gallons diesel to get from your place to New Hampshire. Lol.

BonnySlope

Equipment
BX2380FEL, Add-A-Grapple, Titan 48" Box scraper, 60" Rake, 72" Rear Blade, Flail
Apr 11, 2021
NW Oregon
Interesting tree!
What is it?
I believe it's a Weeping pine tree, the ones we have, they may need a crutch. We used a wooden fence and bicycle tube to keep off ground and desired shape. A lot of different species. Dirtdeeds looks more of the sprue. Their used a lot as an ornamental tree, given the space they can become a wild child and attractive.

OkieJohn

Equipment
M9000 B7100 BX25 RTV-X1100C diesel A/C cab
Aug 1, 2022
k5awol1020
4:20 a.m. and it is still 81*F out there,
and I have over 150 trees to water every day.

I like to start early in the "cool of the day", but this ain't cool today.

lucky for me, my sister gave me her RTV-1100C with Air Conditioning in the cab. even with the window open, and me holding the garden hose, the 6 GPM RV water pump empties this 50 gallon barrel way too fast....

our Rural Water line pressure is way low, used to be 60+ but now that the heat is on, everyone is trying to fill up with swimming pools, and 15 psi is all I get... :mad:

I take a Kindle e-Reader with me, while that barrel fills up, ever so slow.... it used to take 1.5 hours to water the trees, now it is 4 to 5 hours, because of the wait to get more water.

Water Barrel in bed.jpg

Reactions: 4 users

fc1

Equipment
L3940
Apr 17, 2024
Michigan
Not today, but Sat/Sun/Monday my son and I took down a big old multi-stem red maple. This piece is 10' x 20"; interwebs and math said it should weigh 1100#
20240624_155405.jpg

Big butt, about as heavy as I can lift and carry w my current setup. Had to put it in 4wd:
20240624_160215.jpg

This baby stem was the first cut; had to drop it to cut the main. Approx 90', but only abt 9" in dia:
20240624_161141.jpg

Burned the tops, intermediate for firewood, sawmill for the bigs. Looking forward to cutting open the but and seeing the grain.

Reactions: 3 users

NCL4701

Equipment
L4701, T2290, WC68, grapple, BB1572, Farmi W50R, Howes 500, 16kW IMD gen, WG24
Apr 27, 2020
Central Piedmont, NC
Worked on clearing trails again. I’ve bent quite a few things on tractors and implements but today was the first time bending the L.

Somehow managed to knock the right SSQA latch open (of course didn’t see that until later), lifted a cedar log off center, and the right side came off. So, then I had an off center log in a half attached grapple. Not real excited about dumping it as no telling whether it would dump the log or the whole grapple. Got the whole thing carefully lowered to the ground and whittled the log down with the chainsaw until I could get it out of the way by hand. Couldn’t get the right side lined back up with the left side still attached. Left side latch was jammed and wouldn’t release. Fiddled with the grapple position for a couple minutes and got it out of a bind enough to release the left side. Disconnected the hydraulics for the grapple to get room to reposition the tractor.

That would have been the end of it, but somewhere in all this, the torque tube twisted a little leaving the left side of the SSQA plate about an inch and a half forward of the right side so there was no hooking it up. Considering I was down a narrow trail about a mile and a half and a couple of creek crossings away from home/shop, I was thankful I’ve read about other’s experience with this sort of thing before.

Looked at it and didn’t see any damaged welds. Backed up, picked out a stout tree, put the left side of the SSQA plate against the tree, and curled forward to twist the tube back in the other direction. Was kind of surprised how resistant it was to bending back. Must have been a lot of force on it to bend it to begin with. First try it just shoved the tractor backward even with locked brakes. Second try, dropped the skidding winch and made some progress. After a few careful, incremental repeats the left side was still a bit proud of the right side but close enough to hook up the grapple. It’s a tractor, not an airplane. Hooked the grapple back up and spent about 3 more hours working it without incident. Whole incident took maybe 20 minutes.

I’ve had a latch come undone once before. The other time I saw it before it came off. Have seen a few on here that have come up with mods to lock the latches. I might have to consider that. That, and when I have a bit more time and a bit more solid ground to work with, probably should tweak the plate a little closer to perfect.

Would have been a good one for pics, but despite staying calm and working through it, wasn’t exactly focused on documenting at the time.

• Wow
Reactions: 8 users

S-G-R

Lifetime Member

Equipment
LX3310, LA535, rear remotes, third function, R14's
Jun 17, 2020
PEI Canada
Worked on clearing trails again. I’ve bent quite a few things on tractors and implements but today was the first time bending the L.

Somehow managed to knock the right SSQA latch open (of course didn’t see that until later), lifted a cedar log off center, and the right side came off. So, then I had an off center log in a half attached grapple. Not real excited about dumping it as no telling whether it would dump the log or the whole grapple. Got the whole thing carefully lowered to the ground and whittled the log down with the chainsaw until I could get it out of the way by hand. Couldn’t get the right side lined back up with the left side still attached. Left side latch was jammed and wouldn’t release. Fiddled with the grapple position for a couple minutes and got it out of a bind enough to release the left side. Disconnected the hydraulics for the grapple to get room to reposition the tractor.

That would have been the end of it, but somewhere in all this, the torque tube twisted a little leaving the left side of the SSQA plate about an inch and a half forward of the right side so there was no hooking it up. Considering I was down a narrow trail about a mile and a half and a couple of creek crossings away from home/shop, I was thankful I’ve read about other’s experience with this sort of thing before.

Looked at it and didn’t see any damaged welds. Backed up, picked out a stout tree, put the left side of the SSQA plate against the tree, and curled forward to twist the tube back in the other direction. Was kind of surprised how resistant it was to bending back. Must have been a lot of force on it to bend it to begin with. First try it just shoved the tractor backward even with locked brakes. Second try, dropped the skidding winch and made some progress. After a few careful, incremental repeats the left side was still a bit proud of the right side but close enough to hook up the grapple. It’s a tractor, not an airplane. Hooked the grapple back up and spent about 3 more hours working it without incident. Whole incident took maybe 20 minutes.

I’ve had a latch come undone once before. The other time I saw it before it came off. Have seen a few on here that have come up with mods to lock the latches. I might have to consider that. That, and when I have a bit more time and a bit more solid ground to work with, probably should tweak the plate a little closer to perfect.

Would have been a good one for pics, but despite staying calm and working through it, wasn’t exactly focused on documenting at the time.
Glad you were able to fix it without it turning into a major repair.

Reactions: 1 users

woodman55

Equipment
L6060HSTC, RTV 1100
May 15, 2022
canada
Cleaned up a few blow downs and hauled them home. five- 12's, two 9's and a bit of hardwood. The RTV makes a great little tractor, handles the 5x8 trailer with ease. I honestly would not want it to be any faster, it's lots fast for in the woods and the field. I need power far more than I need speed.
20240617_154828.jpg
20240617_154852.jpg

• Love
Reactions: 10 users

S-G-R

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Jun 17, 2020
PEI Canada
Cleaned up a few blow downs and hauled them home. five- 12's, two 9's and a bit of hardwood. The RTV makes a great little tractor, handles the 5x8 trailer with ease. I honestly would not want it to be any faster, it's lots fast for in the woods and the field. I need power far more than I need speed. View attachment 131592 View attachment 131593
Nice jag of wood.

S-G-R

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Jun 17, 2020
PEI Canada
Cleaned up the tiller tonight. Wife had no interest in a garden this year and if we do anything in the future we'll be doing raised beds. Going to trade it at the dealer on a dump trailer for the tractor.

20240627_182856.jpg

Reactions: 4 users

Gaspasser

Equipment
L6060, FEL, forks, front snowblower. KX033 mini ex. Dump truck, Husqvarna saws.
Dec 16, 2023
NH
Beautiful blue sky, low humidity, breezy day. Wind kept bugs away. Got out of work early and continued building a carry all for the 3 pt. The quality inspector had to check out the progress.
1000004743.jpg

Reactions: 9 users