Clue me in on Used ZD1211 Prices (Florida)

Mr Haney

Equipment
L3710
May 23, 2022
FL
My John Deere 430 garden tractor is ready for assisted living, and I am tired of fixing it. I need a mower.

I have looked at new Scags and Kubotas. I am too cheap to spring for a new diesel, but I really love diesel. I am reluctant to buy another used machine, but I am thinking maybe it's not a problem with a nice low-hour diesel machine from a good manufacturer.

A new Scag gas (boo, hiss) Tiger Cat II will run me around $12,500. I see someone on FB offering a Kubota ZD1211 26HP diesel with 571 hours for $9500. New, this thing is about $19K.

Is this a decent price? Are these things a horror to work on, like the JD?

I would think that without major work, I could get another 1500 hours out of it, which is just about what I think I will need before I quit mowing.

The only thing I don't like about this mower is the 72" deck. I was hoping for 60".

Matt Ellerbee

Lifetime Member

Equipment
MX6000
Jun 27, 2019
Canton, Georgia
I’m no help with the Kubota price. But I take care of 5 Scag Turf Tiger II’s at work. A bit different than the tiger cats. My highest hour one is pushing 800, with only belts and regular oil changes thrown at it. The 37 and 40 hp efi vanguards have done well so far. Would be worth looking into if you find a good used one.

Mr Haney

Equipment
L3710
May 23, 2022
FL
I am willing to look at used diesels, but I don't want to mess with used gas engines.

fried1765

Equipment
Kubota L48 TLB, Ford 1920 FEL, Ford 8N, SCAG Liberty Z, Gravely Pro.
Nov 14, 2019
Eastham, Ma
My John Deere 430 garden tractor is ready for assisted living, and I am tired of fixing it. I need a mower.

I have looked at new Scags and Kubotas. I am too cheap to spring for a new diesel, but I really love diesel. I am reluctant to buy another used machine, but I am thinking maybe it's not a problem with a nice low-hour diesel machine from a good manufacturer.

A new Scag gas (boo, hiss) Tiger Cat II will run me around $12,500. I see someone on FB offering a Kubota ZD1211 26HP diesel with 571 hours for $9500. New, this thing is about $19K.

Is this a decent price? Are these things a horror to work on, like the JD?

I would think that without major work, I could get another 1500 hours out of it, which is just about what I think I will need before I quit mowing.

The only thing I don't like about this mower is the 72" deck. I was hoping for 60".
I have a 42" cut SCAG Liberty (21HP)
It has a Kawasaki (gas) engine, and I am delighted with it.
It is a homeowner size machine, ......with 750 hour warranty.
Paid $4,400 new,.....3 years ago.

Reactions: 1 user

D2Cat

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L305DT, B7100HST, TG1860, TG1860D, L4240
Mar 27, 2014
40 miles south of Kansas City
You mention you don't want a used gas engine. I'd submit you're you're missing out on an extremely good option, a Kubota gas engine. They are in Grasshopper mowers. I've had three of them and there is no competition when comparing gas engines. Look for a used Grasshopper and see what you find.

Our (my wife's) current mower is 62" deck, 29HP, powerfold deck. fancy seat. Bought new in 2016 and has 560 hrs. It's like showroom new! Has two belts at the back of the machine coming from the crankshaft pulley down to a carrier bearing, then has a driveshaft going to the front for mower or other attachments. A grease fitting at each end of that shaft. Very easy to service with fold up deck.

fried1765

Equipment
Nov 14, 2019
Eastham, Ma
You mention you don't want a used gas engine. I'd submit you're you're missing out on an extremely good option, a Kubota gas engine. They are in Grasshopper mowers. I've had three of them and there is no competition when comparing gas engines. Look for a used Grasshopper and see what you find.

Our (my wife's) current mower is 62" deck, 29HP, powerfold deck. fancy seat. Bought new in 2016 and has 560 hrs. It's like showroom new! Has two belts at the back of the machine coming from the crankshaft pulley down to a carrier bearing, then has a driveshaft going to the front for mower or other attachments. A grease fitting at each end of that shaft. Very easy to service with fold up deck.

Grasshoppers do have an outstanding reputation.

Mr Haney

Equipment
L3710
May 23, 2022
FL
I think the lady with the $9500 mower may be turning out to be a scammer or a fruitcake.

I said I could not show up at a stranger's house with a big pile of cash, so I asked about electronic transfers. She said: "I would never bring a stranger to my house. [My neighborhood] isn’t far from here"

What does that mean? Does she mean she wants to deliver? Does she want to meet me at my town's police station? No idea. How does she feel about electronic transfers? No clue.

I said I would need her to hold it while I got a truck to deliver it to my house. I said I would draw up a bill of sale and we could exchange ID's. Check this out:

You sound like a lot of work. You either pay 9500 on Zelle or cash when I meet you somewhere or no deal. It’s that easy
Not sure what her deal is. Kind of sounds like an alcoholic who is too drunk to read and respond clearly. It's like she's rolling over in bed occasionally and firing off half-baked messages before she passes out.

Sent her another message asking if this meant she wouldn't sign a bill of sale or produce ID. I think this transaction is not going to work, though.

She says she is selling the mower because she moved to a smaller property. Maybe the guy who originally bought the mower divorced her and got the house.

I would never buy anything expensive unless the seller signed a bill of sale stating that he owned the mower outright, and handing over $9500 to some random person who won't respond to communications clearly and doesn't want to produce a driver's license is nuts. For all I know, this could be the junkie daughter of some guy who is vacationing in Europe, and she's selling it to buy drugs.

Last edited:

JasonW

Jan 29, 2015
Al
Don’t over look the older ZD331, ZD326 and similar models also.

I picked up a ZD331 60” with 1200 hours last January for way less than half a equivalent new model. Had to do some basic maintenance and fix a few things but I was expecting that.

Worst time to buy would be spring/summer. Best time would be fall/winter. The ZD replaced my ZG127S and it didn’t sell until mid April.

Russell King

Equipment
L185F, Modern Ag Competitor 4’ shredder, Rhino tiller, rear dirt scoop
Jun 17, 2012
Austin, Texas
The response is straight forward.

She wants to meet you at a neutral location (so you have no idea where to look for her). This is the way I would want to sell something since it is safer than providing your home address to complete stranger.

Cash is risky but the Zelle is a way to transfer money similar to electronic transfer but through your cellphone.

If she doesn’t want to provide an ID or a bill of sale then I would be suspicious of it being stolen equipment.

Mr Haney

Equipment
L3710
May 23, 2022
FL
The response is straight forward.

She wants to meet you at a neutral location (so you have no idea where to look for her). This is the way I would want to sell something since it is safer than providing your home address to complete stranger.

Cash is risky but the Zelle is a way to transfer money similar to electronic transfer but through your cellphone.

If she doesn’t want to provide an ID or a bill of sale then I would be suspicious of it being stolen equipment.
I know what Zelle is. I was the one who brought it up.

Her messages were not straightforward at all. I made it clear I would meet her anywhere, and she never said where we could meet. She didn't tell me whether she would hold the mower while I hired a tow truck. She was very rude. She didn't say she would bring the mower, but she said I couldn't go get it. It looks like she thought I would meet her at KFC and hand her a fortune without seeing her ID or the mower or having her sign a paper saying she owned the mower outright. She gave me no explanation as to how I should get the mower. I don't think she has a trailer, so I guess the plan was telekinesis.

A person who agrees to terms like that dies poor, with a rap sheet.

In Florida, every time you pawn anything--even a wrench--you have to produce your ID, let the pawnbroker copy it, and sign an affirmation saying you own the item and there are no encumbrances. If they fail to do these things and receive stolen goods, it's a serious problem. For non-pawnbrokers, it's a felony. Everything I asked for was reasonable.

Prosecutors don't have to prove you knew you bought stolen goods. They just have to show you should have known. If I don't have an ID, a bill of sale, and an affirmation, I have no defense.

I told her who I was and provided a website so she could check me out. If I were jacking people on Facebook, they would have jerked my law license by now.

I've bought and sold some things informally. Maybe I shouldn't have. But I'm not going to trust a stranger to keep me out of prison. Especially someone who is very rude and won't give me a straight answer.

The more I think about it, the more I think she got a divorce and ended up with a mower she didn't need. If that's true, who knows whether her ex has a claim.

Here's what I would have said if I were her and I actually wanted to sell the mower:

"Hi! Thanks for responding! Yes, I still have the mower. The price is firm. Zelle will be fine. I can meet you at the ++++ police station on Monday or Tuesday to make the deal. I will start the mower and show you it works. Then I can drop it at your house, or you can have a truck pick it up. I will send you a scan of my ID. Please email me a scan of yours. I'll give you a bill of sale and written assurance I own the mower. Let me know when you can meet me."

She's probably on the level, but I'm not taking the chance, and anyway, I have not been able to get her to help me arrange a meeting. Aside from that, I don't deal with obnoxious people any more than I have to. I am okay financially, so while I like a bargain, I would rather pay more and be treated like a person.

People are really nice in this area. They don't even honk in traffic. It's bizarre to be treated badly here. It's like living in Miami or New York again.

JasonW

Jan 29, 2015
Al
This thread took a turn.

The confusion seems to be on both ends. When I’m selling something I don’t offer Zelle as it’s known to be used by scammers. Especially something that I have to pick up, I’m bringing cash or if it’s large enough a cashiers check. Buying and having something shipped to me is different but usually on forums you somewhat know if they are good.

Do you not have a trailer? You have to hire a tow truck to buy the mower from her? That would be a no go for me selling. How would you inspect the condition, etc?

I don’t give my address out over Facebook to someone who probably won’t show up anyway.
I sold a trailer on Facebook last month and this happened, guy kept wanting the address and my wife didn’t give it to him. Asked for his phone number, called and found out he was 4 hours away. I gave him general directions and he showed up and bought the trailer.

All this could be cleared up by a 5 minute conversation talking to the seller not back and forth through Facebook. You can tell pretty quick if something is legit or not, from both the buyers or sellers prospective.

biketopia

Equipment
B2650, RK 60" BB, 42" tiller, 72" LP FM, Forks, Grapple, FEL
Feb 15, 2024
Warrenton VA
This thread took a turn.

The confusion seems to be on both ends. When I’m selling something I don’t offer Zelle as it’s known to be used by scammers. Especially something that I have to pick up, I’m bringing cash or if it’s large enough a cashiers check. Buying and having something shipped to me is different but usually on forums you somewhat know if they are good.

Do you not have a trailer? You have to hire a tow truck to buy the mower from her? That would be a no go for me selling. How would you inspect the condition, etc?

I don’t give my address out over Facebook to someone who probably won’t show up anyway.
I sold a trailer on Facebook last month and this happened, guy kept wanting the address and my wife didn’t give it to him. Asked for his phone number, called and found out he was 4 hours away. I gave him general directions and he showed up and bought the trailer.

All this could be cleared up by a 5 minute conversation talking to the seller not back and forth through Facebook. You can tell pretty quick if something is legit or not, from both the buyers or sellers prospective.
This^^

Also, I think you're really pigeon holing yourself refusing to look at used gas mowers. If I had a super hilly property, then maybe for the torque, but the EFI machines nowadays will do wonders and you're not paying the premium for a diesel engine. There are fantastic options available, especially in the price point your apparently willing to spend. I run a 25hp turf tiger on my 5 acres and it does fine, has over 1000 hours, all I've done is routine maintenance and a coil. Being you're in Florida with the sandy soils you'll wear out blades and deck before you most likely kill the engine with either fuel type. How big is the property you're mowing? I do a agree a 72" deck can be a bit much unless you just have wide open flat land, the larger decks tend to scalp easier as well.

Mr Haney

Equipment
L3710
May 23, 2022
FL
Don't misunderstand. I said I would do Zelle, a cashier's check, or whatever she was comfortable with.

I sold a big machine to someone who hired a rollback truck. Totally normal. People do it every day. Why would a scammer be more likely to use a rollback than his own trailer? No difference.

You can't call someone who won't communicate.

It's not possible to sell things anonymously, lIke a Romulan with a cloaking device.

JasonW

Jan 29, 2015
Al
Don't misunderstand. I said I would do Zelle, a cashier's check, or whatever she was comfortable with.

I sold a big machine to someone who hired a rollback truck. Totally normal. People do it every day. Why would a scammer be more likely to use a rollback than his own trailer? No difference.

It's not possible to sell things anonymously, lIke a Romulan with a cloaking device.
Im not miss understanding. A scammer would be more likely to use a 3rd party to come pick it up even with a fake cashier check. I’m being realistic if I’m selling a lawn mower I’m not interested in selling to someone who has to hire a rollback to come get it.

The ad even says that they moved and now have a small yard. And Cash only.

Mr Haney

Equipment
L3710
May 23, 2022
FL
Im not miss understanding. A scammer would be more likely to use a 3rd party to come pick it up even with a fake cashier check. I’m being realistic if I’m selling a lawn mower I’m not interested in selling to someone who has to hire a rollback to come get it.

The ad even says that they moved and now have a small yard. And Cash only.
That makes no sense. I can't pick it up. I can't send someone else. I can't communicate with her to set things straight.

I showed her who I was to put her mind at ease. I offered to do anything she wanted except show up on her turf with cash. She made no effort to provide a solution. Has very bad manners. That, by itself, is a dealbreaker.

Scammers use trucks. So does maybe 50% of the rest of humanity. Most people don't have trailers big enough for a large mower. The seller apparently doesn't have one. Not everyone runs a lawn service. It's not a legitimate sign someone is shady.

She accepts Zelle, so it's not relevant. Nobody should be dumb enough to offer or accept that amount of cash in 2024. It's like asking to be robbed or stuck with counterfeit, even if the exchange takes place at a police station. What happens when you try to drive to or from the exchange? I'm not getting in a car with that kind of money. Would you?

Anyway, I blocked her because I thought she might be a crook. No one else I've dealt with acted this way.

There is no possibility I would deal with her now, for multiple obvious reasons. I'm working on another deal.

fried1765

Equipment
Nov 14, 2019
Eastham, Ma

Skip it
Look for a different mower.

fried1765

Equipment
Nov 14, 2019
Eastham, Ma
That makes no sense. I can't pick it up. I can't send someone else. I can't communicate with her to set things straight.

I showed her who I was to put her mind at ease. I offered to do anything she wanted except show up on her turf with cash. She made no effort to provide a solution. Has very bad manners. That, by itself, is a dealbreaker.

Scammers use trucks. So does maybe 50% of the rest of humanity. Most people don't have trailers big enough for a large mower. The seller apparently doesn't have one. Not everyone runs a lawn service. It's not a legitimate sign someone is shady.

She accepts Zelle, so it's not relevant. Nobody should be dumb enough to offer or accept that amount of cash in 2024. It's like asking to be robbed or stuck with counterfeit, even if the exchange takes place at a police station. What happens when you try to drive to or from the exchange? I'm not getting in a car with that kind of money. Would you?

Anyway, I blocked her because I thought she might be a crook. No one else I've dealt with acted this way.

There is no possibility I would deal with her now, for multiple obvious reasons. I'm working on another deal.
FWIW: I bought my L48 TLB from a private seller 3-1/2 hours away.
I sent him a (20%) $6,400 deposit check (bank check), and two weeks later, after it had cleared for him, I personally took the balance to him, in the form of a check from my same account, for the additional $25.6K.
He was very OK with that.

D2Cat

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L305DT, B7100HST, TG1860, TG1860D, L4240
Mar 27, 2014
40 miles south of Kansas City
A year ago I was interested in buying a hyd. tree saw from a guy on FB. He is located about 40 miles away. I sent him a couple of responses to his ad, but he didn't respond to me. I eventually sent him a phone number and asked him to call. He finally called and wanted to know why I spelled some of the digits in the number and used no hyphens only "X's" for a space. I explained my opinion of doing so to keep hackers from scanning my phone number. He told me people without profiles are often hackers to and wouldn't deal with me! I didn't have a picture and no profile.

I was willing to give him 2K for his implement, but he didn't want to deal with me. I could understand more easily if he was the one giving me the money for an item and I had not profile, but I'm just giving him money for his item and we part company.

It turned out fine for me though. Found one that had never been used and less money. Just had to widen my search are a couple hundred miles.

Attachments