B2320 Loader valve behaving badly

MDinCNY

Equipment
B2320 (MY2010), 60" MMM, LA304 loader, BX5455HD blower & various other stuff
Feb 15, 2024
Central NY
Hi all,

New to the forum, with a problem that has bothered me for a while.

The loader valve on my B2320 becomes increasingly difficult to operate the higher the engine rpm. This problem only occurs in the lift/lower function, dump/curl works just fine at all rpms. Specifically, up to around 2000 rpm I have 'normal' control of the valve....meaning I can raise/lower the bucket or snowblower in small increments as you'd expect from hydraulic controls.

At full throttle, the force I need to exert on the joystick to get it to raise/lower is much higher than normal. So much so that when the spool finally moves, the bucket/blower will raise or lower a few inches. Fine adjustments are simply impossible. It feels very much like there is hydraulic pressure in the loader valve working against movement of the joystick at the higher rpms. Float detent works fine, and I've already inspected & lubricated the springs & balls.

What is causing this to happen, and what do I need to do to fix it?

85Hokie

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
BX-25D ,PTB. Under Armor, '90&'92-B7100HST's, '06 BX1850 FEL
Jul 13, 2013
Bedford - VA
Not being a hydraulic expert = but it sounds like either the valve has trash in it, the coupler needs to be unhooked and rehooked or the lift/lower cylinder is maybe binding in it's travel (bent?)

Have the lines been removed and placed back for any reason?

TheOldHokie

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3901/LA525, B7200DT/B1630, G2160/RCK60, G2460/RCK60
Apr 6, 2021
Myersville, MD
windyridgefarm.us
Hi all,

The loader valve on my B2320 becomes increasingly difficult to operate the higher the engine rpm. This problem only occurs in the lift/lower function, dump/curl works just fine at all rpms. Specifically, up to around 2000 rpm I have 'normal' control of the valve....meaning I can raise/lower the bucket or snowblower in small increments as you'd expect from hydraulic controls.

At full throttle, the force I need to exert on the joystick to get it to raise/lower is much higher than normal. So much so that when the spool finally moves, the bucket/blower will raise or lower a few inches. Fine adjustments are simply impossible. It feels very much like there is hydraulic pressure in the loader valve working against movement of the joystick at the higher rpms. Float detent works fine, and I've already inspected & lubricated the springs & balls.

The return circuit for the boom cylinders is blocked. Could be the couplers for the loader. Or possibly a problem with 3pt, remote, or backhoe if you have them on the tractor. Very first and easiest thing to check is make sure the 3pt is not full up.

Dan

MDinCNY

Equipment
Feb 15, 2024
Central NY
The return circuit for the boom cylinders is blocked. Could be the couplers for the loader. Or possibly a problem with 3pt, remote, or backhoe if you have them on the tractor. Very first and easiest thing to check is make sure the 3pt is not full up.

Dan
Thanks, Dan.

I've previously tried swapping female couplers, without any change in performance. Since the problem seems to be independent of the attachment (happens with both FEL and front mount snowblower), I suppose the next step would be to check the tractor-mounted male couplers for blockage? I do not have a remote or backhoe for the tractor, and 3pt position doesn't have any impact.

Mike

TheOldHokie

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Apr 6, 2021
Myersville, MD
windyridgefarm.us
Thanks, Dan.

I've previously tried swapping female couplers, without any change in performance. Since the problem seems to be independent of the attachment (happens with both FEL and front mount snowblower), I suppose the next step would be to check the tractor-mounted male couplers for blockage? I do not have a remote or backhoe for the tractor, and 3pt position doesn't have any impact.

Mike
Next step would be to check flow through the lift circuit. If you post a picture of the coupler arrangement I can suggest a starting point.

Dan

MDinCNY

Equipment
Feb 15, 2024
Central NY
Next step would be to check flow through the lift circuit. If you post a picture of the coupler arrangement I can suggest a starting point.

Dan
Here are a couple of pics of the coupler arrangement. Boom is operated through white and yellow couplers.
IMG_2047.JPG
IMG_2049.JPG

TheOldHokie

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Apr 6, 2021
Myersville, MD
windyridgefarm.us
Here are a couple of pics of the coupler arrangement. Boom is operated through white and yellow couplers.
View attachment 122509 View attachment 122510
OK - that makes things fairly simple.

To test the lift side of the circuit disconnect the coupler on the rod end of the cylinders and unscrew the hose from the coupler. Put the hose in a bucket, start the tractor, and try to raise the loader. You should get a stream of oil from the disconnected hose and the loader should come right up. If not the connected coupler is not working.in the out direction.

If the loader raises lower it. If it wont lower the coupler is not workimg in the return direction.

Dan

Last edited:

MDinCNY

Equipment
Feb 15, 2024
Central NY
OK - that makes things fairly simple.

To test the lift side of the circuit disconnect the coupler on the rod end of the cylinders and unscrew the hose from the coupler. Put the hose in a bucket, start the tractor, and try to raise the loader. You should get a stream of oil from the disconnected hose and the loader should come right up. If not the connected coupler is not working.in the out direction.

If the loader raises lower it. If it wont lower the coupler is not working in the return direction.

Dan
I'm following you. Since I already know I have difficulty raising AND lowering at high engine rpm, I suppose I need to check flow in both directions on both male couplers?

I'll give this a try and advise.

TheOldHokie

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Apr 6, 2021
Myersville, MD
windyridgefarm.us
I'm following you. Since I already know I have difficulty raising AND lowering at high engine rpm, I suppose I need to check flow in both directions on both male couplers?

I'll give this a try and advise.
Ypu need to check both sides but be careful with the lower side. The return line will be under pressure and holding the loader up. You cant just disconnect that hose - the loader would crash to the ground.

Dan

MDinCNY

Equipment
Feb 15, 2024
Central NY
Ypu need to check both sides but be careful with the lower side. The return line will be under pressure and holding the loader up. You cant just disconnect that hose - the loader would crash to the ground.

Dan
Update: There was plenty of flow. Also removed & cleaned the male-side quick connects. Responsiveness has definitely improved, but not perfect, so maybe there was a small amount of trash impeding flow that is now gone.

I think my next step will be to get into the joystick linkages, which seem to have excessive play and possibly contributing to the 'stickiness' of fine control. That will have to wait until spring....and the warmer weather.

Thanks for your advice, Dan.

Mike

TheOldHokie

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Apr 6, 2021
Myersville, MD
windyridgefarm.us
Update: There was plenty of flow. Also removed & cleaned the male-side quick connects. Responsiveness has definitely improved, but not perfect, so maybe there was a small amount of trash impeding flow that is now gone.

I think my next step will be to get into the joystick linkages, which seem to have excessive play and possibly contributing to the 'stickiness' of fine control. That will have to wait until spring....and the warmer weather.

Thanks for your advice, Dan.

Mike
Did the loader operate properly with the hoses disconnected? Did the problem reappear when reconnected?

Hydraulic pressure should not make the joystick hard to operate. I think looking at the linkage is a good idea. Maybe your problem is actually there and not hydraulic.

Dan

MDinCNY

Equipment
Feb 15, 2024
Central NY
Did the loader operate properly with the hoses disconnected? Did the problem reappear when reconnected?

Hydraulic pressure should not make the joystick hard to operate. I think looking at the linkage is a good idea. Maybe your problem is actually there and not hydraulic.

Dan
The loader operated better with the hoses disconnected. Performance improvements remained when reconnected. This is why I'm thinking there is more than one root cause, and planning to pull apart the linkage next.

Billbo

Equipment
B2320 HST
Jan 4, 2022
South Louisiana
Hi all,

Hello, question for you how did you lube the springs and balls in your joystick? My joystick ‘sticks’ and when it breaks loose the bucket just jumps up of down or curl/dump!!!! Seems I can’t just ease into moving it any direction.