Processing wood

P0234

Equipment
BX
Nov 13, 2023
NoVA
Hi all, long time lurker, new poster and new owner of a BX1880.

Living in the woods I either pay to haul wood away or burn it to keep warm. I bought the BX mostly for groundskeeping duties but would like to use it to help me process firewood. I’ve been making do with a riding mower l, trailer and an ATV, oh and a small splitter. I know the tractor will help me drag trees out of the woods, the loader will help lift heavier rounds and of course tow a trailer. Are there any other things I should consider using it for?

85Hokie

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
BX-25D ,PTB. Under Armor, '90&'92-B7100HST's, '06 BX1850 FEL
Jul 13, 2013
Bedford - VA
I take it NoVa is northern Virginia? Been there more than I want to remember;)

From what you have mentioned you seem to have it well in hand. The BX is a huge back saver, it can lift and dump better than a typical trailer too. The 4wd and either 3 point or bucket hooks will help drag a larger logs out of the woods to be processed too.

Depending on the trail to the wood - towing the trailer and loading it and then dragging back to the splitter to process is one way, if two of you both can be hauled to the section of woods and it will speed up the process.

Before you think about getting a pto driven splitter, keep in mind it will be much slower to operate than the gas powered you have now (assuming that is what you have) It would also tie up the tractor.

I will tell you this - if you need to lift the wood in the FEL to a height - make sure you are not moving - the center of gravity once you have the loader full becomes dangerous QUICK.

And lastly - make sure you are paying attention to the curl function of the bucket .... a piece of wood will dent the hell out of the hood ......... BTDT!

Reactions: 1 users

P0234

Equipment
BX
Nov 13, 2023
NoVA
Good tips! I’ve been around my neighbors Kub enough to notice things get hairy very quickly when the bucket is high in the air. I’ve been last second ballast a few times too. On the short list are some hooks for the loader, going to be nice on those 20”+ rounds as I’ve been doing my best to roll them into the lawn cart. I’ll try to keep them off the hood!

skeets

Equipment
BX 2360 /B2601
Oct 2, 2009
SW Pa
And remember when you drag a log out, if you can get the tractor end up off the ground it will drag a lot better and easyer. Low range 4wd and dont lug the little beasty down. Other wise Hokie got it pretty well covered

Reactions: 1 user

Snowman7

Equipment
LX3310 535 loader, LX2980, RB2672, FDR1660
May 20, 2020
Boyne Falls, MI.

Living in the woods I either pay to haul wood away or burn it to keep warm. I bought the BX mostly for groundskeeping duties but would like to use it to help me process firewood. I’ve been making do with a riding mower l, trailer and an ATV, oh and a small splitter. I know the tractor will help me drag trees out of the woods, the loader will help lift heavier rounds and of course tow a trailer. Are there any other things I should consider using it for?

Welcome to my life of firewood. I have an old Honda Foreman with an awesome MUTS trailer and when I split and stack I pull rounds from the trailer and split and stack into the loader. The tractor then goes to my permanent firewood rack( for a year or so) and I stack away. The only time
I bend over to the ground is picking up the round when I am bucking in the woods. If a grapple ever enters my world then I am sure there would be some changes. This does change when I install my blower as I lose my loader. It sure makes a good case for being done with the next years firewood by November. As of today my loader is still on the tractor but I know I am on borrowed time. I am 60 and the less I bend over the better I feel the next day. I think I can do this at 80 but only time will tell.

GreensvilleJay

Equipment
BX23-S,57 A-C D-14,58 A-C D-14, 57 A-C D-14,tiller,cults,Millcreek 25G spreader,
Apr 2, 2019
Greensville,Ontario,Canada
You may consider using 'wagons' instead of a 'trailer'.
To me a trailer is a 2 wheeled platform and a wagon has 4.
I've bought several 'mini farm wagons', just wheels and frames,, from Princess Auto though same sold at TSC and maybe HF in the USA.You decide the length (6-7-8 feet). When maxxed out, can carry two IBC totes. Place totes on their side and EASY to stack firewood in and EASY to get back out.
Wagons are a lot easier to haul and hookup. Safer to operate. Might be why farmers have used them for generations ??
Maybe an option for you ??

P0234

Equipment
BX
Nov 13, 2023
NoVA
I'd love a grapple and bigger wagon, my current cart has been working a hard life. It's so funny looking back, when we first moved here I thought getting a 15 cu ft. yard cart was extravagant, I wasn't sure I'd get a lot of use out of it but I wanted it as the wheel barrow was a lot of work for spreading mulch, besides it would look cool behind my little lawn tractor. I've also been tossing around the idea of a lighter landscaping trailer, one that I could put the BX in if I needed to get it somewhere else and or for hauling things out of the woods behind the BX.

Showmedata

Equipment
LX3310
May 18, 2022
Boulder CO
"Summer mode" on my LX3310 is pallet forks on the front, wood chipper on the back, and 3" rear wheel spacers. ("Winter mode" is bucket on the front, blower on the back, wheel spacers off.)

I fell the trees in the forest, cut them into 80" lengths, and chip the slash. I use the forks to move the logs to either a log stack for a year or two's seasoning, or to the area where I buck them down to 16" lengths and then stack for seasoning. I will occasionally swap the chipper for a ballast box if I'm working in tighter spaces - the chipper hangs waaaaay off the back and I won't admit to how many times I've knocked it into trees.

I split by hand with a maul. I use a couple of home-made bins (wood pallets with 2' tall sides) to haul the split logs up to my firewood crib near the house.

I'm still cogitating on a better solution to hold the logs while bucking them down. I'm convinced that moving them 1-by-1 to a sawbuck isn't the ideal flow. Next summer I'll try out some attachments to the pallet forks to hold logs while cutting.

P0234

Equipment
BX
Nov 13, 2023
NoVA
Shomedata, I love your thinking on the most efficient way to get it done, I try to be as efficient as possible. I love the idea of chopping the trees down to 80" lengths and then racking them for a while.

My tree guy dropped almost 30 dead trees (mostly large oaks, a few pines) early this year, I processed most but left a few in the woods as I ran out of time before the woods came back to life. Next time I think I'll try your method.

SAR Tracker

Equipment
LX2610HSDC, FEL, LX2963 Snowblower, BH77 Backhoe, forks
Nov 17, 2020
Central Oregon
I work with a volunteer firewood giveaway program, doing probably 80+ cords a year. We started with sawbucks, but were limited by the weight of the logs. Next was pallet forks - same idea as a sawbuck, in that you have to "balance" the log as you cut rounds off it. Then was a chain wrapped around the log, and slung from a bucket with hooks/rings welded on. Tongs would work OK too. Our latest and greatest is using the BH77 with a mechanical thumb to pick up a log that's already been marked at 16". Works really well, in that it keeps the chain out of the dirt, don't have to lift the logs, and the log doesn't have to be balanced.

Reactions: 3 users

Showmedata

Equipment
LX3310
May 18, 2022
Boulder CO
Shomedata, I love your thinking on the most efficient way to get it done, I try to be as efficient as possible. I love the idea of chopping the trees down to 80" lengths and then racking them for a while.

My tree guy dropped almost 30 dead trees (mostly large oaks, a few pines) early this year, I processed most but left a few in the woods as I ran out of time before the woods came back to life. Next time I think I'll try your method.
My other handy tool:

I solidly established that I can't eyeball 16" lengths worth a hoot, so I stick on the saw bar and walk down the limbed tree and mark off the 16" sections. Pop off the gauge and either put it in my pocket or stick it on the tractor. Cut the log at every 5th mark (or 4th if you prefer 64" sections to move around).
IMG_5729.JPG
IMG_5730.JPG

It's just a dowel with a magnet on the end. I used a piece of fiberglass rod I had sitting around for the longer bit, cut after assembly so the overall length is 16".

This is version 2.0. It's painted safety orange because I lost version 1.0 somewhere in the woods this fall.

I tried the fancy laser gadget that mounts on the saw handle, but I didn't like it. This works better for me.

Reactions: 4 users

NHwoods

Equipment
MX6000, BH 92 backhoe, Farmi winch, JD Flail Mower, Woods rotary mower,
Oct 12, 2022
New Hampshire
Good tips! I’ve been around my neighbors Kub enough to notice things get hairy very quickly when the bucket is high in the air. I’ve been last second ballast a few times too. On the short list are some hooks for the loader, going to be nice on those 20”+ rounds as I’ve been doing my best to roll them into the lawn cart. I’ll try to keep them off the hood!
I can second the risk from curling the forks. My brother "borrowed" my MX6000 last week when i was elsewhere to move some logs for firewood. He isn't overly experienced and lifted a log up while curling the bucket. It rolled over the top, down the FEL arms onto the hood. Luckily it was stopped by the steering wheel but the damage is extensive including a bent steering column. Very dangerous and very expensive.

• Wow
  • Sad
Reactions: 4 users

skeets

Equipment
BX 2360 /B2601
Oct 2, 2009
SW Pa
I work with a volunteer firewood giveaway program, doing probably 80+ cords a year. We started with sawbucks, but were limited by the weight of the logs. Next was pallet forks - same idea as a sawbuck, in that you have to "balance" the log as you cut rounds off it. Then was a chain wrapped around the log, and slung from a bucket with hooks/rings welded on. Tongs would work OK too. Our latest and greatest is using the BH77 with a mechanical thumb to pick up a log that's already been marked at 16". Works really well, in that it keeps the chain out of the dirt, don't have to lift the logs, and the log doesn't have to be balanced.
Ya know I could use about 6 or 8 cords if ya can deliver to the coal country ;)

skeets

Equipment
BX 2360 /B2601
Oct 2, 2009
SW Pa
I am wondering, aside from the bloody cost, if any body uses like the Wallenstein one man set up like the WP585, I kinda like the box type wedge and I dont have to pick butts up after I cut them to size

rc51stierhoff

Equipment
B2650, MX6000, Ford 8N, (BX sold)
Sep 13, 2021
Ohio
I can second the risk from curling the forks. My brother "borrowed" my MX6000 last week when i was elsewhere to move some logs for firewood. He isn't overly experienced and lifted a log up while curling the bucket. It rolled over the top, down the FEL arms onto the hood. Luckily it was stopped by the steering wheel but the damage is extensive including a bent steering column. Very dangerous and very expensive.
Oh my….i hope you have KTAC…could be an interesting thanksgiving. 🥃

GreensvilleJay

Equipment
BX23-S,57 A-C D-14,58 A-C D-14, 57 A-C D-14,tiller,cults,Millcreek 25G spreader,
Apr 2, 2019
Greensville,Ontario,Canada
You have to decide is 'wood processing' for fun or saving/making money.
If fun, you do a bit here, maybe more later...and you have a LOT of time or your hands to 'play' at it.Odds are you're young and healthy.
if you're in it to win it, then you'll create a workable plan that allows for EFFICIENT use of time and equipment to get the most wood.cut,split and stacked.The less time spent handling the sticks the better.
What works best for you, on your land depends on your equipment, 'lay of the land' and you( health and time)..oh yeah... what's IN the wallet !!!
If I was heating with wood, I'd have a 'wood processor' or at least semi-automate whatever 'system' I currently have.
One problem I see is guys saying they use 3 cords, when really they burn 1 cord( 4x4x8). There's a BIG difference in material and labour to make it !

Vince1230

Equipment
Bx2370
May 13, 2022
Honey Grove,Pa
I process wood too. I am getting grapple to assist with cleaning up. Love the idea of using to keep log off ground for cutting. Have pto chipper to clean up tops. Worse part for me is moving the cut wood. Using the loader seems to require a lot of ballast.

g_man

Equipment
L3010DT, M5640SUD, Dresser TD7G
Feb 3, 2023
NE Vermont
I use all manner of methods to put up our wood but one of my favorite is when I'm thinning pole stands because it is so efficient. I use the winch to pull the logs trail side and stack them in 9' lengths. ( I cut my blocks 18"). I load them onto my little trailer and haul them to the wood shed. I block up the pole right on the trailer, split them, and stack them in the shed.

Thin2019Aug2.JPG

Thin2019Aug8.JPG

gg

Last edited:
Reactions: 2 users

Runs With Scissors

Equipment
L2501 TLB , Grappel, Brush Hog, Box Blade, Ballast box, Forks, Tiller, PH digger
Jan 25, 2023
Michigan
IOur latest and greatest is using the BH77 with a mechanical thumb to pick up a log that's already been marked at 16". Works really well, in that it keeps the chain out of the dirt, don't have to lift the logs, and the log doesn't have to be balanced.
Just one more good reason to get a backhoe. (y)

I am going to try to use the ripper tooth in conjunction with the thumb to pick them up.

My thinking is that the "thin'ness" of the tooth will make it so that I don't have to cut near the steel bucket.

Runs With Scissors

Equipment
L2501 TLB , Grappel, Brush Hog, Box Blade, Ballast box, Forks, Tiller, PH digger
Jan 25, 2023
Michigan
My other handy tool:

I solidly established that I can't eyeball 16" lengths worth a hoot, so I stick on the saw bar and walk down the limbed tree and mark off the 16" sections. Pop off the gauge and either put it in my pocket or stick it on the tractor. Cut the log at every 5th mark (or 4th if you prefer 64" sections to move around). View attachment 116518 View attachment 116519
It's just a dowel with a magnet on the end. I used a piece of fiberglass rod I had sitting around for the longer bit, cut after assembly so the overall length is 16".

This is version 2.0. It's painted safety orange because I lost version 1.0 somewhere in the woods this fall.

I tried the fancy laser gadget that mounts on the saw handle, but I didn't like it. This works better for me.
Hahahahah........

Great minds think alike.

I did nearly the exact same thing, including losing one and then making another and painting it red.(y)

Reactions: 2 users