Clutch Stuck 2350

jstapler

Equipment
L245, L3010
Jun 15, 2018
covington, Louisiana
The clutch is stuck. The pedal will only move approx. 2" The transmission grinds and will not go into gear while Eng. running. It will go into all gears when eng not running. If in gear and I actuate the starter the tractor will roll and start.
I am told the clutch is stuck to the flywheel. I was advised to fill the gearbox with WD40 or Kerosene and let it sit a few days. Anyone ever try that. I could use any help you can give. Thanks in advance,

John

boz1989

Equipment
B2910 fel 60 mmm, Land Pride rb1572
Jun 10, 2015
Portland, MI
I'm not an expert, but it sounds like you need to split the tractor and at a minimum replace the clutch disk. You would have to inspect the flywheel and pressure plate to see if they will clean up. I would also replace the throw out bearing and pilot bearing while it's apart.

Sent from my LGMP260 using Tapatalk

hodge

Lifetime Member

Equipment
John Deere 790 John Deere 310 backhoe Bobcat 743
Nov 19, 2010
Love, VA
I don't think it has a wet clutch. Putting anything in the gearbox has nothing to do with the clutch. As mentioned, if you can't get it broken free, the tractor will have to be split.
I assume that this is an L2350?

greeno

Equipment
B2710 w/LA402 FEL, BL4690 hoe, RB1560, GS1560, Haban 5' sickle bar, 5' JD RC
Jul 14, 2018
Big Lake MN
My clutch used to stick all the time on my old Iseki. You can try driving it around in high gear and see if it’ll pop free. If you’re real brave drive it into a tree slowly.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

D2Cat

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L305DT, B7100HST, TG1860, TG1860D, L4240
Mar 27, 2014
40 miles south of Kansas City
What's the history of the problem? If it's been a few months you may be able to free it up. If you have an open area you could use an implement on the back, like a plow or box blade, have the tractor in the highest gear that will pull it and work the tractor, hoping the clutch comes free.

Yes, as Greeno mentioned, a tree would do the same thing, but you could slide off to a side and cause damage to the metal.

Do not try to add any fluid to the clutch area. It won't stay there if you tried!

SidecarFlip

Banned

Equipment
M9000HDCC3, M9000HD, Kubota GS850 Sidekick
Oct 28, 2018
USA
Why there is a clutch pedal hook on the tractor, any dry clutch needs to be parked DISENGAGED at all times. Any moisture in the bell housing will cause the clutch disc to seize to the flywheel. Draining the bell housing is a good idea too (Kubota provides a drain bolt on the bottom of the bell housing on their tractors, I suggest using it regularly).

I had an old Massey diesel that hung the clutch just like yours has. Start it in high gear pointed toward a tree or some immovable object with the clutch pedal pushed in and pray it breaks free. Mine did and after that I made sure the clutch was disengaged when parked.

Only other option is splitting the unit.

rbargeron

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L5450, L48, L3250, L345 never enough attachments
Jul 6, 2015
western ma
The symptom (limited clutch pedal travel) doesn't sound like the clutch disk is stuck to the flywheel - it sounds more like the release bearing and hub are not sliding forward.

If you push harder on the clutch pedal does it return ok? If not, the hub is hanging up. Pushing against a tree won't help.

Some models have bolts or a cover on the housing you might be able to spray some lube through, hoping to free things up in there. If not, the answer may be splitting the machine.

Last edited:

lugbolt

Equipment
ZG127S-54
Oct 15, 2015
Mid, South, USA
you can start out in 1st low easily without the clutch. Shift to 2nd, then one gear at a time, all the way to highest speed, get the RPM up and while the RPM is high in the highest gear/highest range, engine/clutch hot, shove the clutch pedal down and mash the brake pedal. SOMETIMES it'll free up. Other times it won't. If it won't, you'll have to split it & likely replace the disk and pressure plate, also look closely at the flywheel to make sure the surface it clean/rust free/not heat checked.

BTW thanks for reminding me to go hook the pedal down on my little Massey.

SidecarFlip

Banned

Equipment
M9000HDCC3, M9000HD, Kubota GS850 Sidekick
Oct 28, 2018
USA
One worry I don't have with my units. Both have wet packs for clutches. Much preferred for my uses. Hard to beat a hydraulic shuttle.

kubotasam

Equipment
B2410, B7100dt, B7500,Woods BH750,Landpride 2660RFM, Tiller, B2781 Snowblower
Apr 26, 2010
Alfred Maine
The symptom (limited clutch pedal travel) doesn't sound like the clutch disk is stuck to the flywheel - it sounds more like the release bearing and hub are not sliding forward.

If you push harder on the clutch pedal does it return ok? If not, the hub is hanging up. Pushing against a tree won't help.

Some models have bolts or a cover on the housing you might be able to spray some lube through, hoping to free things up in there. If not, the answer may be splitting the machine.
I agree. If the pedal does not move through its total range of movement it is more than a disk stuck to the flywheel.

rbargeron

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L5450, L48, L3250, L345 never enough attachments
Jul 6, 2015
western ma
I agree. If the pedal does not move through its total range of movement it is more than a disk stuck to the flywheel.
Of course, we could all be overlooking a simple problem with the pedal linkage. I saw this once when a link eye cracked open, but didn't fail completely. The linkage doesn't travel very far and 1/4" of lost motion can result in exactly the reported symptoms. Maybe we've just blown past the easiest possibility here?

Last edited:

North Idaho Wolfman

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3450DT-GST, Woods FEL, B7100 HSD, FEL, 60" SB, 743 Bobcat with V2203, and more
Jun 9, 2013
Sandpoint, ID
I was advised to fill the gearbox with WD40 or Kerosene and let it sit a few days.
How would you do that, flip the tractor upside down? :confused:
It can't be done as there is no "fill port" on the clutch housing, only a drain! ;)
Any one that said they have done that is full of it! :p

nezmun

Equipment
L2350 Kubota Tractor
Aug 13, 2024
Washington State
The clutch is stuck. The pedal will only move approx. 2" The transmission grinds and will not go into gear while Eng. running. It will go into all gears when eng not running. If in gear and I actuate the starter the tractor will roll and start.
I am told the clutch is stuck to the flywheel. I was advised to fill the gearbox with WD40 or Kerosene and let it sit a few days. Anyone ever try that. I could use any help you can give. Thanks in advance,

John
I have the same problem with my 2350 Kabota. But my clutch moves the full distance. Yours might be the throw out bearing.