Tow Vehicle?? What do you tow your Kubota with??

Foisy

Equipment
Kubota L3240, Great Bend Backhoe, LA514 Loader, rear snowblower
Mar 28, 2010
Northern Ontario
Don't tow my Kubota but I do tow a 27 foot travel trailer with my Ford Expedition. The trailer is light at 4000 pounds and is easy to tow. I use weight distribution bars and wanted to mention that even with these bars there is a learning curve. Raise them too high and you will have yourself swaying all over the place. Not high enough and your backend will be taking the full weight. The idea is to have your vehicle on a level as if it was unloaded. I've seen people at campgrounds with their backends raised in air. This is a dangerous situation.

I also want to comment that being a travel trailer guy, I know my trailer weights and tow vehicles pretty good and I guess that more than half the trailers I see being pulled are over the tow vehicles capacity. Seems everyone forgets that tow ratings and trailer weights are based on empty vehicles and trailers. I allow about 3000 pounds for "stuff" when I go camping. Some of these fifth wheels out there are over 12,000 pounds dry and people are towing them with 3/4 ton pickups. I don't want to be infront of one when I slam my brakes on for a deer or something!:eek::eek: I also don't want to buy that truck after it has towed an oversized trailer across the country.

People need to read their spec sheets and trailer weights.

Eric McCarthy

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Kubota B6100E
Dec 21, 2009
Richmond Va
I would place that picture in a category on "How not to tow your tractor" I know your lacking a trailer but I see chaining that tractor down in the truck bed being an issue and keeping it from falling out the back and demolishing the tractor and god knows what else. I put a riding lawn mower in the bed of my truck one time and went to climb a hill slowly after a traffic light and that damn thing trashed my tail gate. Went flying out and bent all to hell when it hit the pavement. That's the same day I bought a flat bed trailer 11 year ago.

PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE Stuart go rent, borrow or steal a trailer and tow that tractor home safely.

Last edited:

skeets

Equipment
BX 2360 /B2601
Oct 2, 2009
SW Pa
YA GOTA TOW'EM,????,krist now I have to buy a trailer!!!

stuart

Lifetime Member

Equipment
B7001 with loader & tiller, 3 point hitch and 4' rear blade
Aug 9, 2009
Aldergrove, BC, Canada
I appreciate your concern, Eric.
Its a few miles over flat farmland. Securing it is not an issue, the truck bed is already adapted for that.
$1200 for a used flat bed trailer is out of the question for two trips a year, and there are no rental places nearby.

Eric McCarthy

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Kubota B6100E
Dec 21, 2009
Richmond Va
Oh man you'd open up a whole nother world with a decent size trailer and a beefy truck to haul it with like your F250 "which I want by the way." I have a 6x16 tandem axle rated for 7000lbs and you name it I've pretty much had it on there and hauled it around. I've had broken down cars to a full size Chevy Surburban. To lumber to build sheds and decks, to brush and debris to haul off to the landfill and even used the trailer on more then one ocassion to haul furniture with it. Yeah there's been a few times I wish I didnt own a trailer cause friends bug the hell out of you all the time to help move them around, but I do get paid a little something for helping out.

BobVA

Equipment
B6200HST, Loader, Belly Mower, Rototiller
Jun 5, 2010
Woodbridge, VA
Bit of an overkill, but I use my 18' hauler that I use to transport my various Jeeps (including 3 FC170s). Trailer is rated at 8K and I pull it with my 2005 Jeep Grand Cherokee (Hemi) with class 4 hitch. Jeep rated to tow 7,200lbs. Trailer weighs 2k. Note the 9k Warn winch I use to load/unload disabled vehicles. It is set up with a cradle that slides into a standard 2" hitch. The winch is then portable enough that I can use it on all my vehicles. Mounted an inverted hitch on the front of the trailer to accomodate the winch, which has the added benefit of being able to slide in a standard 2" hitch/ball that I can use to hold the tounge of the various trailers I also haul.

Attachments

Last edited:

Eric McCarthy

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Kubota B6100E
Dec 21, 2009
Richmond Va
Thats a nice looking wagon and setup there boss! But uh isnt the license plate supposed to be on the assend of the trailer so the Police can read it??

Will In Tx

Equipment
L3400 HST/FEL, Box Blade, RTV 900 Camo, ZD323 Zreo Turn Pro Mower + More
Mar 21, 2010
Rosharon, TX. USA
Well, going to buy a new truck soon, either GMC or Chevy.
New 18' trailer to. But we will see.;)

BobVA

Equipment
Jun 5, 2010
Woodbridge, VA
Thats a nice looking wagon and setup there boss! But uh isnt the license plate supposed to be on the assend of the trailer so the Police can read it??
Picture was taken before I welded a bracket on the back where the plate wouldn't get bent. Had just brought it from the dealers with no load, so the plate was visible.

Eric McCarthy

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Kubota B6100E
Dec 21, 2009
Richmond Va
Im surprised I have not caught a hard time for bolting my plate sideways up the fender. My trailer had a shitty plastic hanger for the plate and after no time at all it broke all to bits so I had bolted my plate to the trailer gates for a while then I got to thinking I take my ramps off from time to time so then there would be no tag visiable at all so I stuck it on the fender. Some trailers are well built but many have huge design flaws in them all over the place.

BobVA

Equipment
Jun 5, 2010
Woodbridge, VA
Im surprised I have not caught a hard time for bolting my plate sideways up the fender. My trailer had a shitty plastic hanger for the plate and after no time at all it broke all to bits so I had bolted my plate to the trailer gates for a while then I got to thinking I take my ramps off from time to time so then there would be no tag visiable at all so I stuck it on the fender. Some trailers are well built but many have huge design flaws in them all over the place.
Yep, bracket was on the back of the trailer where it bent whenever I'd pull in a driveway, so I made a bracket on the fender so it is out of harms way.

Blkvoodoo

Equipment
B2400, LA352, RC60, Cammond Box Blade
Mar 27, 2010
Zebulon NC
Here in NC, you can get a "Forever" tag, one $75 fee, no renewal, as long as you own the trailer ( doesn't apply to camper trailers, they want their tax money ) I riveted mine sideways on the back of left fender, I doubt I'd get any hassle for it,

hell, most trailers here don't even have lights.....let alone tags.....

Eric McCarthy

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Kubota B6100E
Dec 21, 2009
Richmond Va
We have the same deal here up here in Va. A perminate tag for I think 80 or 85 bucks. Every year the laws change up about the amout of lights we're supposed to have and refelctive tape all the way around as well, and how many chans your supposed to have to tie down a load with. But the state lack's to inform all the trailer owners here in VA. I happen to find out when I go over to my brothers house with my trailer and he glare's at my trailer and chews my ass out for not having my act together. He's a cop for the town we live in. I always just dummy up and say " well hell I didnt know, no one told me about it"

aquaforce

Equipment
L245DT FEL, JD450 Track loader, 5' scrape blade&mower, 5x10 trailer, Dump truck
Apr 22, 2009
Stockbridge, Ga. USA
Well it was just a little over a year ago that I got my 07 Suburban and later I started this thread. Now I traded it off for an 06 Chevy Silverado 3500, DRW, crew cab, 4x4, Duramax LBZ, Allison trans, LT3 fully loaded! Whew that was a mouth full. :eek: :D

I don't think this truck will have trouble towing about anything I want to put behind it. This is the last year of non-emission (no DPF) engines so 06 was the newest diesel I would buy. Fortunately it is the first year that GM had the Duramax redesigned with thicker rods, larger pins and a beefed up bottom end as well as external injectors and several other very nice and easy serviceable feature changes. This engine is 360HP and 650 Torque stock. The exact same engine that is in the current production truck that claims 397HP and 750 Torque. Nothing different between them than some programming. Not a prob because this thing is going to get some programming too. :D :D :D
It still has 40K miles warranty on it so I will wait till it is out of the woods with warranty before I juice it up a little. Nothing smoking radical but a little more health and better mileage will do just fine!

It has the added, Delphi built, touch screen navigation like my Suburban had and a Curt mfg hide-a-ball gooseneck hitch mounted with AirLift bags too. I am going to get Alcoa wheels and some other mods done too but I needed more power for a bigger boat.

The pics suck because I took them on my pda. I will have to get some better ones after some more changes are done to the truck.

Nice!!! :D I call it the "Rock Max" :D

Attachments

Last edited:

Bulldog

Equipment
M 9000 DTC, L 3000 DT
Mar 30, 2010
Rocky Face, Georgia
Nice ride Aquaforce. No need to wait on the tune up though. The Magnuson Moss Act of 1972 protects the owners right to use a power programmer to. It falls under the same regulations that allow you to choose the brand of oil you want to use and ect. I say go for it and let the black smoke roll.

aquaforce

Equipment
Apr 22, 2009
Stockbridge, Ga. USA
Thanks guys. :D

I think I will run the Banks 6 Gun system when I get it ready.
This weekend my brother is going to take it to Iowa on a business trip so the rest of my family will see it when he gets up there. My dad and another brother both have Ford diesels. Now they have to bow down to this one. :D :D :D :D LOL Of the two Fords my dad's is the better with the old 7.3L.

Anyone running Cetane boost in their diesel?

I like how it makes the engine fire quicker and a smoother and quieter start-up. There are other perks to this additive for the fuel system lubrication as well. So far I really like it.

Eric McCarthy

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Kubota B6100E
Dec 21, 2009
Richmond Va
That bran-i-new diesle wont start to make the famous big diesel racket on the start and stops until it gets up around the 200 to 300 thousand mile mark on the engine. And yeah your right, your dad has the power house 7.3L power stroke diesel. I'd put money on the power stroke putin a hurtin on the Duramax you have. The Duramax is a nice diesel, its just not the brute brick shit house that a 7.3L power stroke is. I've seen many power stroke with upwards of 3 to 400 thousand miles and are still hauling heavy loads as good today as they did new.

aquaforce

Equipment
Apr 22, 2009
Stockbridge, Ga. USA
That bran-i-new diesle wont start to make the famous big diesel racket on the start and stops until it gets up around the 200 to 300 thousand mile mark on the engine. And yeah your right, your dad has the power house 7.3L power stroke diesel. I'd put money on the power stroke putin a hurtin on the Duramax you have. The Duramax is a nice diesel, its just not the brute brick shit house that a 7.3L power stroke is. I've seen many power stroke with upwards of 3 to 400 thousand miles and are still hauling heavy loads as good today as they did new.

This thing is quieter than all the other diesels I have heard. That is a biggie for me.

The 06 and up Duramax is completely redesigned. Many changes make it what it is now and I am glad to have this new version. The injectors are not under the valve cover anymore which is just one change that is far better than the early design. I could go on for a long time on all the changes but I am just glad the new design was out before the DPF so I could get it. :D