L2501 more HP

Runs With Scissors

Well-known member

Equipment
L2501 TLB , Grappel, Brush Hog, Box Blade, Ballast box, Forks, Tiller, PH digger
Jan 25, 2023
4,106
5,551
113
Michigan
I think it depends on your personality too.

If you like to "tinker" with things, I would go for the turbo.

Personally, if it were me, I would go for the turbo...(And I would try to make the "turbo whine" so loud, it would be like a Big Rig struggling up hill...:cool:...hahahah)

Obviously, the other "bonus" (at least for me) is that you get the added power without being married to a "factory only" computer system....For us guys that do their own work, thats a big plus;);)

When I was looking at tractors, the 2 HP ratings above my 2501, they did't WOW me in regard to their other "superior" traits.......🤷‍♂️🤷‍♂️


However trading up to a larger tractor would be the "simplest/easiest" solution if you do not like to work on your own stuff.

Since I have not researched the "fuel pump" thing much, it's hard for me to say, but my "Spidey Senses" tell me it won't be a huge improvement.,,,,but I'm frequently wrong 🤷‍♂️ 🤷‍♂️
 
  • Like
Reactions: 1 users

Rdrcr

Well-known member
Lifetime Member
Vendor Member

Equipment
L2501 w/ S2T Turbo Kit = 35 PTO HP (Current), B2601 (Sold)
May 7, 2021
776
976
93
WA
Modifying tractors isn’t for everyone. However, it is a great option that delivers provable results for those that choose that direction.

OP, if you choose to modify your tractor, I’d strongly suggest getting a EGT probe and gauge setup to monitor your exhaust gas temperatures to make sure your engine operates in a safe environment.

The Turbo Kit is by far the easier option with regards to installation and is the best option for power (and if elevation is involved). The shim mod requires the removal of your injection pump (which is an involved process) and still requires fuel adjustments to gain power.

It’s been said earlier in this thread but, it’s worth repeating, the entire standard L series tractors (L2501,L3301,L3901) all share the same PTO train. The only difference is the output ratio. They all share the same robustness. Durability isn’t a concern and collectively we have logged thousands of hours on nearly 100 Turbocharged L2501’s without a single failure. This includes roughly 7 Turbocharged L2501’s operated by contractors. The Turbo Kit is extremely reliable.

IMG_5191.jpeg

As mentioned, isn’t for everyone, but, it’s a great option for those that own them.

Mike
 
  • Like
Reactions: 1 user

GrumpyFarmer

Well-known member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
B2650, MX6000, Ford 8N, (BX sold)
Sep 13, 2021
3,593
5,241
113
Ohio
OP,

you are the only one here that knows your situation. That being said, to me it raises eyebrow if using appropriate size implement at appropriate speed and the machine is not able to cut it (pun intended).

My misunderstanding could be terrain (pitches navigating)) or material (super dense) you are cutting. If it’s one of these two I would wonder how you know the turbo is the solution to the problem? I would want to try a similar size power machine and see if that works before adding a modification to it. JMHO. (I’d look for a demo on L390x and see how f that would do it before trying to increase the HP. It may be you need a different class or machine for your uses.

Good luck.
 

jimh406

Well-known member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
Kubota L2501 with R4 tires
Jan 29, 2021
2,988
2,362
113
Western MT
Thickness of grass and other vegetation makes a huge difference. Of course, most of us can see that mowing our own grass with a typical mower.

Fwiw, I can mow my field with my 72 inch rotary cutter in M at 4200 ft elevation with my L2501HST with no issues. It's dryland here and not very thick. Of course, it's not what is typically recommended, but my salesman was right and the bonus is I can get close to things like fences easier.

I guess it just means ... It depends.
 
Last edited:
  • Like
Reactions: 1 users