WWII History

CaveCreekRay

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3800 HST, KingKutter box scraper, KingKutter 66" rake, County Pride Subsoiler
Jul 11, 2014
Cave Creek, AZ
The Americans were readying an invasion force unseen in history to invade the mainland of Japan. Had the nuclear bombs not ended the war, all these men would have been involved in the bloodiest and most costly invasion battle in history. Fortunately, the bombs did the trick, saving millions of lives, both Japanese and American.

http://www.warbirdinformationexchange.org/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=52966

D2Cat

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L305DT, B7100HST, TG1860, TG1860D, L4240
Mar 27, 2014
40 miles south of Kansas City
Ray, how did you find that link? That is unbelievable history. I haven't had time to actually "see' where it is located.

I lived as a youngster on Okinawa for 6 years, and been to many of the nearby islands. If you've seen any of the actual footage films of the war there, it's something hard to imagine. 25 years after the war there were still bombs found laying in the sand on a beach!

CaveCreekRay

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Jul 11, 2014
Cave Creek, AZ
When I was a kid growing up in Germany in the mid-sixties, it was only 20 years after WWII ended.

We used to play in the woods and there were bomb craters and potato-masher handles in areas. One day, we found a 500 lb Stuka bomb that had fallen and cracked open but it had not exploded. It was just a rusty shell with fins. We could see no explosives inside so we balanced it on my buddy's 20' hi-rise Schwinn Sting Rays banana seat and took it home. The looks on the faces of the locals was priceless. About a week later, I saw my neighbor heading to the base with rusty bomb fins sticking out of his trunk. The German garbage men would not take the bomb. lol... He threw it in a dumpster on base.

Len, I have friends that are really into history and they send me tons of stuff. The best stuff, I share with you guys.

One of my buddies answered that e-mail saying that the Japanese had pulled all their airplanes to the homeland for the final battle. The Kamikaze attacks on the naval force would have been horrific. Not to mention any human within 20 miles of the coastline. Those 26 inch shells the weight of a VW will leave a mark. I think the estimate I read was that they expected 9 million casualties in the invasion, on both sides. By comparison, the bombs affected or killed less than 300,000 people, including losses to radiation disease from the immediate exposure. Five days after the detonation, the radiation at ground zero is negligible. Keep that in mind if you ever see a mushroom cloud nearby.

Last edited:

Poohbear

Equipment
L3301 HST, LA525, LP shredder, BB1566 box blade, QH10, Worksaver pallet fork
Jul 6, 2018
Gilmer,Tx,United States
Curtis LeMay came up with the fire bombing of the Jap major cities . Those wooden structures turned into a fire storm that couldn't be out ran. Estimates of over a million casualties from the fire bombing alone.
We did do some firebombing in Germany, my late FiL was a B17 tail gunner and he was on the Dresden raids. His diary reads " ALA at Dresden today. Lots of flak " . Arms legs assholes of civilians was his meaning.

CaveCreekRay

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Jul 11, 2014
Cave Creek, AZ
My neighbor in Sacramento was a young German kid who survived the Dresden bombings. He was only five or six but he can still remember the sound of the bombs going off above him. Thankfully, he and his mom got out of there early on. During the latter firebombing raids, the fire was so intense, it sucked the oxygen out of the bomb shelters and the people inside suffocated. At wars end, he was one of the kids waiting for candy from the sky in Berlin.

Bud's dad was a Luftwaffe fighter pilot and was killed. Adopted by an American pilot, in America, Bud joined the Air Force. Later, he was a math teacher and coach at Rancho Cordova HS. Most of the kids had no idea what he had survived.

Lil Foot

Lifetime Member

Equipment
1979 B7100DT Gear, Nissan Hanix N150-2 Excavator
May 19, 2011
Peoria, AZ
The best teacher I ever had was an architectural design teacher at Moon Valley high school. Beside being an excellent teacher in design and drafting, I learned more from him about life than from anyone else, including my own father. He also taught me everything I know about motorcycle riding, (on & offroad; he was Senior AZ Trials Master for about 30yrs), flying RC aircraft, (he was a master powered pilot & Senior AZ RC Soaring Master for about 30yrs) and he would often tell us to put away our work, and we would then discuss how to set up a budget when we get out on our own- how much to spend on rent, food, insurance, entertainment; how to use a checkbook & credit cards, how to fill out a resume & interview.
An amazing guy to whom I owe much of my success. He passed a few years back, and his obituary brought to light his accomplishments in WWII and Korea. (he never discussed his service, other than to say he was in the Air Force)
They just don't make 'em like this anymore. How many people do you know who earned 4 Bronze Stars?
https://www.legacy.com/obituaries/azcentral/obituary.aspx?n=William-Roseberry&pid=152691144

CaveCreekRay

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Jul 11, 2014
Cave Creek, AZ
Wow. What a great guy. Yup, a lot of people were way younger than they said they were back then. I have heard of guys in the NAVY who were really 14. My dad did that to get in the Merchant Marine and they pipe-lined the NAVY.

Man, to be in RC way back then means he must have started out in the reed era. I got in in the early 70's when proportional had just come out. Very cool indeed.

ipz2222

Equipment
L235, bx2670
May 30, 2009
chickamauga ga usa
Ray,, RC also?? Me too. Was Tn state champion in pylon raceing one year. Haven't flown in 10 years but still have all my radios and planes. Keep hopeing to retire someday and get back into it. Most fun I've ever had.
On the bombing,, and to think all those people died because one man wanted to be top dog of the world.

CaveCreekRay

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Jul 11, 2014
Cave Creek, AZ
I was never a champion! (Self taught.) Good for you! After graduation and awaiting active duty, I got my dream job for 7 months: Tower Hobbies in Urbana, IL. I STILL have kits I bought 40 years ago. Then, I saved the day in a warehouse flood and got a decade's buys at cost. My cup runneth over. I need to get building... This was my old "hobby room..." My room is now in my barn. Much smaller. I still have all those finished airplanes in two big "coffins." What to do with them?

Attachments

skeets

Equipment
BX 2360 /B2601
Oct 2, 2009
SW Pa
Today 75 years ago
On September 26, 1944, Operation Market Garden, a plan to seize bridges in the Dutch town of Arnhem, fails, as thousands of British and Polish troops are killed, wounded, or taken prisoner.

British Gen. Bernard Montgomery conceived an operation to take control of bridges that crossed the Rhine River, from the Netherlands into Germany, as a strategy to make “a powerful full-blooded thrust to the heart of Germany.” The plan seemed cursed from the beginning. It was launched on September 17, with parachute troops and gliders landing in Arnhem. Holding out as long as they could, waiting for reinforcements, they were compelled to surrender. Unfortunately, a similar drop of equipment was delayed, and there were errors in locating the proper drop location and bad intelligence on German troop strength. Added to this, bad weather and communication confused the coordination of the Allied troops on the ground.

The Germans quickly destroyed the railroad bridge and took control of the southern end of the road bridge. The Allies struggled to control the northern end of the road bridge, but soon lost it to the superior German forces. The only thing left was retreat-back behind Allied lines. But few made it: Of more than 10,000 British and Polish troops engaged at Arnhem, only 2,900 escaped.

Claims were made after the fact that a Dutch Resistance fighter, Christiaan Lindemans, betrayed the Allies, which would explain why the Germans were arrayed in such numbers at such strategic points. A conservative member of the British Parliament, Rupert Allason, writing under the named Nigel West, dismissed this conclusion in his A Thread of Deceit, arguing that Lindemans, while a double agent, “was never in a position to betray Arnhem.”

Winston Churchill would lionize the courage of the fallen Allied soldiers with the epitaph “Not in vain.” Arnhem was finally liberated on April 15, 1945.