Would you buy the same tractor again or a different one?

OntheRidge

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Kubota L47 TLB, Homestead 55" grapple, LP 1684 rear blade, WR Long 84" snowplow
Nov 1, 2020
Please show me where I ever stated the 2502 was my only experience with tractors. :rolleyes: I have been operating tractors of all sizes/brands for decades. I also have quite a bit of experience with diesel engines and the emissions issues I've personally seen from them. As well as the testimony from my brother-in-law who manages a very large tractor service center... I never suggested anything but you certainly seem to have assumed a quite a lot. But now that you mention it, yeah, the 2502 is the best for my needs/wants.
There are a few people that just like to stir the pot, the ignore feature is a great tool.

rc51stierhoff

Equipment
B2650, MX6000, Ford 8N, (BX sold)
Sep 13, 2021
Ohio
Good day.

that’s a great question. As I read this forum couple times a week and see others machines and tasks it’s easy to start spending money.

So which purchase are we talking about?😂 I am up to 4 tractors purchased and 3 of them I still have on hand. 🥃

For me, it’s all about timing and change of situation that drove my purchase decisions. I stand by all with the info available at original time of purchase. With info currently sure I would have changed some things. (But I did not have that point of view then).

So this is what my past purchases have been:
1. BX main purpose was for mowing and diesel powered wheel barrow for my residence.

2. When buying a second property, sold the BX and went to a B (main reason was I wanted more weight & lift capability). I wanted and L250x, however I was stuck on keeping MMM for around my residence. In doing that B was undersized for the second property. I thought I would buy something larger if ever move to the second property just before retire.

3. Then came COVID and 2020 election, after that shit the bed, it was easy to see that economy in trouble and I decided if my dollars are going to devalue I was going to buy A larger machine early and pay the 0% with yesterdays dollars. Best thing I ever did…could not go wrong with that forecast / buy timing….so I went with MX (with BH) thinking that would be more than enough for the second property and not need another tractor…maybe a CTL later.

4. Last year I bought a third property and added yet a few more acres. Along with that I ended up with the previous owners Ford 8N…not really needed but it was a good value for getting a running machine and a really good brush cutter, back blade and a old disc that is left with it. Did not needed but it was a good deal and I can use for mowing and for putting around maybe pull a wagon.

so where does that leave me looking back?:
Well I should have started with a small riding lawnmower and not gone down the road of MMM. If I did that I would have then bought a TLB (probably B or L…I think I would get more use out of a smaller BH) and then I would not have needed BH92 and if went L48, then not need the MX at all. Then I would either settle on an M or a CTL. Plus the Ford for kicks.

I don’t regret any of the purchases they have all been great machines, but they are very different machines as my needs have changed. I went from mowing and small garden to small homestead(s) to small farm. Right now I want a pair and a spare, which is what I have. I could have done the first one differently though but my futurecast was not so clear and our needs and hobbies have changed dramatically.

Either way I most certainly am not done. There will still very likely be an M of some sort or a CTL. I am sure the Spousal unit will be buying me one any day now. 😉 🥃

Elliott in GA

Equipment
LX 2610SU w/535,LP RCR1860,FDR1660,SGC0554,FSP500, DD BBX60005
Mar 10, 2021
North Georgia
After 3.5+ years, I am still very pleased with my choice. It has done and will do the work I need, and it is also a value for money issue. If I had spent more, it would have saved me a little time, and if I had paid lots more I could have saved a little more time. However, it would not have been worth the extra expense (in both cases) to save some time. I paid ~$15,700 in 2021 (the COVID black hole) for a new LX 2610 SU, and it has already paid for itself and implements/attachments (grapple, rotary cutter, finish mower, box blade and spreader). The only thing that I have rented since buying the tractor was a Ditch Witch. I dug a 180 foot trench with a $30K+ piece of equipment for less than $175 (I made it back in time for the 1/2 day rate).

I have a Stihl Farm Boss Chainsaw (20 inch bar, well 2 bars and chains for self-rescue). I could have bought a bigger saw, but it would not provide the value for money that my current saw does. My current saw does everything I need it to do. I have had a few tasks that required wedge cuts due to the diameter of the tree, but again paying more to save a little time on a few occasions is not worth it.

Reactions: 1 user

GrassLakeRon

Equipment
B8200HST-DP , RC60-82h Mower Deck, Woods RB6 Rear Blade, Homemade Carry All
Oct 27, 2023
Grass Lake, Michigan
I love the lines on my B8200! Would I buy another one, yes....so I could own two. Seriously...... I would get an L or LX if I had more property to deal with. I will never sell or out live my 8200.

Reactions: 1 user